The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    30 on the back to win it. Unreal 
    Yikes…no laying up has hideki, cam smith, leishman and cheater Adam Scott all going, Aussies after the presidents cup 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    It is ironic that people like Rory and Tiger who already have LIV type money tell other players without LIV money they shouldn’t leave.  If they were young guns right now they would probably have a different outlook.

I hope everyone can compete in the majors and there is a lot of animosity.  The sport needs a shake up.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    It is ironic that people like Rory and Tiger who already have LIV type money tell other players without LIV money they shouldn’t leave.  If they were young guns right now they would probably have a different outlook.

I hope everyone can compete in the majors and there is a lot of animosity.  The sport needs a shake up.  

This is the common statement from the pro-LIV crowd.  And I'm not at all saying the Tour is perfect, but I don't understand what it is people want to see.  PGA Tour added a team event in New Orleans and no one gives a shit about that.  Shortening up the season?  I definitely agree with that and the Tour going back to a calendar year schedule is a good move.  But with all the talk about how the tour is so stale and boring, I don't see many suggestions on what people want.  Is there really that much interest in team golf?  All that's going to happen here is there will be end up being 2 mediocre tours and the only tournaments with great fields will be the 4 majors.  This isn't going to "grow the game".
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601

This is the common statement from the pro-LIV crowd.  And I'm not at all saying the Tour is perfect, but I don't understand what it is people want to see.  PGA Tour added a team event in New Orleans and no one gives a shit about that.  Shortening up the season?  I definitely agree with that and the Tour going back to a calendar year schedule is a good move.  But with all the talk about how the tour is so stale and boring, I don't see many suggestions on what people want.  Is there really that much interest in team golf?  All that's going to happen here is there will be end up being 2 mediocre tours and the only tournaments with great fields will be the 4 majors.  This isn't going to "grow the game".
    I'm with you.  I think golf is healthier than its been in 20 years.  From about 2005 to 2015, I was concerned about its future.  But the young talent is off the chart and younger people are playing again.  I think the game is in good shape, overall. 

Maybe this fall team series will be cool and a nice exhibition of some of the best players, pumping some more money to the top players.  I keep harping on No Laying Up, but the PGA should have talked to the PGL guys and their ideas, like they've continually said

The thing I am struggling with Cam Smith is that this is a guy who cries after winning big tournaments and I don't think that's really about the paycheck.  Now by all accounts he's going to head over to play glorified member-guests for a crap ton of money.  He now has his exemptions into Majors, so makes it easier for him, but I just don't see how that works with him.

Maybe this fall team series will be cool and a nice exhibition of some of the best players, pumping some more money to the top players.  I keep harping on No Laying Up, but the PGA should have talked to the PGL guys and their ideas, like they've continually said

The thing I am struggling with Cam Smith is that this is a guy who cries after winning big tournaments and I don't think that's really about the paycheck.  Now by all accounts he's going to head over to play glorified member-guests for a crap ton of money.  He now has his exemptions into Majors, so makes it easier for him, but I just don't see how that works with him.
    Yeah I've listened to all the NLU stuff about LIV and PGL (made a drunk purchase from the NLU pro shop Saturday night).  They prob should have talked to PGL, but team golf just doesn't do anything for me.  Maybe I'm in the minority there but not sure how much that would move the needle.  Like you said, pumping more money to the top players seems to be the main issue for the players.  I don't know man, it all just sucks and at the end of the day none of this is good for the hardcore golf fan.

Yeah I've listened to all the NLU stuff about LIV and PGL (made a drunk purchase from the NLU pro shop Saturday night).  They prob should have talked to PGL, but team golf just doesn't do anything for me.  Maybe I'm in the minority there but not sure how much that would move the needle.  Like you said, pumping more money to the top players seems to be the main issue for the players.  I don't know man, it all just sucks and at the end of the day none of this is good for the hardcore golf fan.
    Case in point on the team aspect is Pat Perez singing 'we are the champions' on that outrageous plane after shooting an 80.  Counterpoint is the Ryder Cup.  I think if it's done well, it can add something, but golf is an individual sport and always will be, so overall with you.  It all does suck.

Duuuuude, I had a drunk NLU purchase recently too, but actually kept it pretty reasonable (few hats, a t shirt and some random stuff).  I literally will not click into the polos or Q zip sections though since I know it's all Holderness + Borne or Rhoback and that can get ugly in a hurry.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Add David Feherty to the list of LIV guys. And Hendrik Stenson is going too and will be stripped of his Ryder Cup captainship for it. 

Major rumors that Cam Smith is going after the season, and he didn't dispel that rumor during his press conference yesterday.

David Feherty leaves NBC to become analyst for LIV Golf (nypost.com)
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601

Case in point on the team aspect is Pat Perez singing 'we are the champions' on that outrageous plane after shooting an 80.  Counterpoint is the Ryder Cup.  I think if it's done well, it can add something, but golf is an individual sport and always will be, so overall with you.  It all does suck.

Duuuuude, I had a drunk NLU purchase recently too, but actually kept it pretty reasonable (few hats, a t shirt and some random stuff).  I literally will not click into the polos or Q zip sections though since I know it's all Holderness + Borne or Rhoback and that can get ugly in a hurry.

Is NLU stuff nice?  I'm a huge fan of Peter Millar stuff.  They make A+ clothing.  It is expensive, but they run good 30 and 50% off sales all the time.  
    edited July 2022

I'm not Pro-LIV.  

For me personally, I haven't felt the need to tune in as much outside of the majors.  I don't gamble on sports.  One thing I've learned is that if you gamble on sports you'll be more into it.  People love NFL football and the amount of action in a 3 hour game is like 5 minutes.  Dull.  

Anyway, what I've found is that all non-majors blend together.  Bay Hill and Memorial aren't what they used to be (in my eyes). That is why I think there needs to be a change.   What the tour has done is pretty good in that it got rid of the wrap around season and elevated the mid-major tournaments.  That is a step in the right direction. 

I think team golf could take off in the long run.  LIV can do that better I think with a smaller field.  PGA might even benefit from a smaller field.  I don't give a crap who is outside of top 75 or so, so it is not compelling to me who gets bounced in or out of the 150.  4 man teams in the long could bring up some great competition once all the scrubs are gone and they have a full field of legit pros.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on

Agreed.  But then if everything is a team competition the Ryder Cup may lose some of its luster.  I don't know.  It all just sucks is the perfect way to sum up the current landscape.

Yeah it was my first NLU purchase.  Went with one of the cheaper polos they have, hat, headcover and some tees.  Rhoback website is a whole different problem....their stuff is the best.  Most comfortable hoodies out there.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    cliffy - why is adam scott a “cheater”? I have always liked the guy.

BTW, drunk purchases are good for the economy.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    cliffy - why is adam scott a “cheater”? I have always liked the guy.

BTW, drunk purchases are good for the economy.

• Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    What's he doing that's against the rules in that picture?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Jumb0 said:
    I'm guessing the Putter?
    cutz said:
    Jumb0 said:
    I'm guessing the Putter?

I assume that's where this is going, but that putter is not illegal. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Jumb0 said:
    cutz said:
    Jumb0 said:
    I'm guessing the Putter?

If it's hinged against his chest is the issue I think.
    It's close enough to hinged to be cheating
    eddiec said:
    Jumb0 said:
    cutz said:
    Jumb0 said:
    I'm guessing the Putter?

If it's hinged against his chest is the issue I think.

Right, it's illegal to anchor the putter to your body. 
    It's not illegal to use a "long" putter
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    Airline has lost my clubs on the way to Prague.  And I’m hearing Schiphol isn’t allowing checked luggage anyway.  So if they do turn up, what then?  Was supposed to golf around London 4 days at the end of this.  But that may be getting banged with no clubs, no shoes, etc.  What a cluster.  
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    ddeschler said:
    Airline has lost my clubs on the way to Prague.  And I’m hearing Schiphol isn’t allowing checked luggage anyway.  So if they do turn up, what then?  Was supposed to golf around London 4 days at the end of this.  But that may be getting banged with no clubs, no shoes, etc.  What a cluster.  
    That really sucks.  Hopefully can get rental clubs.   You should get reimbursement for at least some of the rental costs each day.

Used Shipsticks (DHL) to send bag and golf luggage back from Ireland and glad I did.  Not cheap though.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Really hope the Hideki/LIV rumors are not true. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    My clubs are collecting dust right now right behind me. Let's see the LAST time I picked them was probably November 2019. If I don't go and take a few swings today or tomorrow at my local club or North Palm Beach I'll never swing them again. Stay tuned.

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,704
    I just  took up golf again after  8 years 
     I used to be a 12 handicap.  
    God im a 28 now
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    They are. Sounds like it's fairly in stone, so far as Srixon will have some ownership of whatever stupid team he's on.. Assume after President's Cup, Leishman, Scott and Hedeki are gone.  Then I guess it's after FedEx to see what Cam does.  It all sucks
    edited July 2022
    LPGA will have tournaments with the best players in the world.  They should take advantage of this from a marketing perspective.  Distance doesn’t matter on tv.  A 300 yard drive looks the same as 250. 

Men’s game is turning into a mess.  Going to have to learn to coexist.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    They are. Sounds like it's fairly in stone, so far as Srixon will have some ownership of whatever stupid team he's on.. Assume after President's Cup, Leishman, Scott and Hedeki are gone.  Then I guess it's after FedEx to see what Cam does.  It all sucks
    It's hard to pass up guaranteed money.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    is eldrick no longer BFF with trump, now that trump is, not surprisingly, an LIV whore?

BTW - trump thinks we still haven’t “gotten to the bottom of” 9-11. smfh.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Wobbie said:
    is eldrick no longer BFF with trump, now that trump is, not surprisingly, an LIV whore?

BTW - trump thinks we still haven’t “gotten to the bottom of” 9-11. smfh.
    He also thinks he won the 2020 election. 
    chinese-happy.jpg