*** Pearl Jam Berlin, Germany Fanviews 6/21/22 ***

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    seanwon said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Stop fucking complaining about 2 hour set lists. Enjoy what you have. 
    Stop constantly complaining about other people complaining 
    Stop complaining about people complaining about other people complaining.

😂😂😂 you win. 
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    rey said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Haijay said:
    Were these not both curfew shows so far? Hyde Park will be as well, so those will only be two hours, as the other festivals will be. Maybe the arena shows will be closer to the 2 1/2 mark. But if they aren’t, well, we’ll prob be alive in the morning
    Hyde Park 2010 was 27 songs and 2.5 hours. I think they're at the age when they're having to manage their stamina rather than shortening sets to accommodate curfews. 
    Its an interesting one to consider as Bruce is still knocking out 3.5 hr shows of high energy in his 70's.

I do think we'll see far fewer people doing multiples shows on the new setlists, you never know the band might see some fresh faces at the front ;)

My good friend told me however that Berlin was AMAZING
    Springsteen hasn't played a full show since what, 2018?  Don't know if we can assume he'll still be knocking out shows that are 3.5 hours when he gets back out there.    
    I'll see your Springsteen and raise you McCartney then.  37 songs June 12th.  

I don't see it as complaining as much as discussing the vast differences from 2006 - 2018 of upwards of 30 songs a night to now, after a 4 year break to play significantly shorter sets and not that much variance at all.  Not to mention all but ignoring an album we've been waiting over two years to hear live.  

Yes they've earned the benefit of the doubt, and yes this is, by definition, a weird "relationship" between fan and band and they don't owe anyone anything, but I find it really interesting the evolution of the shows in 2022. 
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    smithnic said:
    rey said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Haijay said:
    Were these not both curfew shows so far? Hyde Park will be as well, so those will only be two hours, as the other festivals will be. Maybe the arena shows will be closer to the 2 1/2 mark. But if they aren’t, well, we’ll prob be alive in the morning
    Hyde Park 2010 was 27 songs and 2.5 hours. I think they're at the age when they're having to manage their stamina rather than shortening sets to accommodate curfews. 
    Its an interesting one to consider as Bruce is still knocking out 3.5 hr shows of high energy in his 70's.

I do think we'll see far fewer people doing multiples shows on the new setlists, you never know the band might see some fresh faces at the front ;)

Springsteen hasn't played a full show since what, 2018?  Don't know if we can assume he'll still be knocking out shows that are 3.5 hours when he gets back out there.    

I don't see it as complaining as much as discussing the vast differences from 2006 - 2018 of upwards of 30 songs a night to now, after a 4 year break to play significantly shorter sets and not that much variance at all.  Not to mention all but ignoring an album we've been waiting over two years to hear live.  

Yes they've earned the benefit of the doubt, and yes this is, by definition, a weird "relationship" between fan and band and they don't owe anyone anything, but I find it really interesting the evolution of the shows in 2022. 
    Your 100% correct. It's discussing, not necessarily complaining. But, maybe a little, here goes. Shorter set list, ok. But don't look at the set list from Berlin 2018 , It will really bum you out! So many, many songs to choose from. I think most are ok with shorter set list, just maybe get some variety? I travel a lot to see my favorite band but already getting ready to put on the brakes if I'm going to hear repeats over and over.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited June 2022
    smithnic said:
    rey said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Haijay said:

Amount of songs isn't a good metric, especially if you're using Macca who is reliant on a catalog consisting mostly of 2 - 3 minute songs. His 37 are probably pretty close to the 22 PJ played with out the added vocal strains Ed puts out on the heavier rockers. I respect Macca, but he's not doing what Ed and PJ are doing.

Edit: The main point is, no matter what concert you are attending, enjoy the music and don't try to compare it to another show. If you love the music, then you get lost in it and never want it to end no matter what. Concerts always fly by when they're good.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    smithnic said:
    rey said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Haijay said:

Amount of songs isn't a good metric, especially if you're using Macca who is reliant on a catalog consisting mostly of 2 - 3 minute songs. His 37 are probably pretty close to the 22 PJ played with out the added vocal strains Ed puts out on the heavier rockers. I respect Macca, but he's not doing what Ed and PJ are doing.

Edit: The main point is, no matter what concert you are attending, enjoy the music and don't try to compare it to another show. If you love the music, then you get lost in it and never want it to end no matter what. Concerts always fly by when they're good.
    Im comparing PJ to PJ. What separated them from the rest was the average show length and the set list variation. Without those, it knocks them down a few pegs imo. I respect their decision but at the same time feel there’s ways to still do it. Acoustic sets, intermission, they already play such short tours etc…. 

Of course we’ll never know the true reason being this very drastic change so it’s all speculation at this point. 
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 268
    The years of heavy smoking were always gonna catch up with Ed at some point. The likes of the aforementioned Springsteen, Macca and Jagger all look after themselves. Ed's.... more human. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Ed also had Covid 4-5 months ago. I'm sure most everyone knows or has heard of someone struggling for quite a bit afterwards. It's possible he just doesn't have the stamina to do 3 hours a night. He was already struggling in 2018 after certain songs. 

It is what it is at this point. If all we have to complain about as a fanbase is that we aren't going to go to multiple shows from now on, then I'd say we are in good shape. Who knows, maybe they feel good when the tour ends in September and that allows them to get back on the road quicker than normal (positive thinking). 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Ed also had Covid 4-5 months ago. I'm sure most everyone knows or has heard of someone struggling for quite a bit afterwards. It's possible he just doesn't have the stamina to do 3 hours a night. He was already struggling in 2018 after certain songs. 

It is what it is at this point. If all we have to complain about as a fanbase is that we aren't going to go to multiple shows from now on, then I'd say we are in good shape. Who knows, maybe they feel good when the tour ends in September and that allows them to get back on the road quicker than normal (positive thinking). 
    True...Ed and (more recently) Jeff and Matt got hit with covid.

Their Ohana shows were also only 19, 21 and 24 songs though so it seems like it the new way.

The back to back shows in Oak this year resulted in only 10 repeats...2 of those being off the new album. I was happy with those setlists....just wanted more :)
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,579
    1. The band was super tight and seemed happy and pumped.
    2. The crowd and  the venue were as always amazing.
    3. The setlist was super weak.
    4. 2h show was a joke. The curfew isn't an excuse. The should have started at 7:30 or 7:45. They new they have little time until 10 p.m. that's why the chose short songs and almost even quit talking in between.
    5. The struggle with time was pathetic. The half of YL was.... I don't even know how to name it. Shame.
    6. I doubt they cannot play or Ed cannot sing 3-4 more songs and finish the show properly.
    7. The quality of show is much lower in comparison to 2018 tour and every other tour. And to be clear I'm not talking about the lenght of the show. I'm talking about the setlists. Boring, greatest hits, predictable...
    8. I have never seen so many dissapointed people after PJ concert waiting for more... If you were in Berlin last night you probably know what I'm talking about. 
    9. I fu*kin' love Dance of Clairvoyants live. Wow. What a song.
    10. I know it might be the end of the road, but still hope they can play more than a good show in Europe. Still going to Krakow and Prague. After this I don't have huge expectations but hope someting's gonna change and surprise us.
  • AponeApone Posts: 575
    edited June 2022
    What a great show, waldbuhne is an amazing venue, band sounded great (especially the gigaton songs IMO) and the crowd were into it throughout.
    Curfew is the big issue here re set length.  Ed visibly got a time check and made a five hand motion, during ylb, hence the reason it was cut short at 10pm.
    Will be interesting to see what happens at Zurich tomorrow in terms of the set length.

Post edited by Apone on
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    PJKnopf said:
    I  think it's much too early to already judge over the full tour. Currently in Europe we've seen one festival set at Pinkpop and one shortened set due to curfew reasons in Berlin. Let's wait for Zurich and Imola where curfew shouldn't be any kind of apology. 
    PJ is expecting to start at 20:45 and the venue curfew is 23:00…
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?

• neddie vedderneddie vedder 93 million miles from the sun Posts: 191
    Some videos I took, hope it’s ok to post these here..first show last night of 8 on this tour and although slightly disappointed at the curfew it was just so good to see the guys live again after all the delays

https://youtu.be/6wFJvm7MW8g

https://youtu.be/pm2Puc7_h0Q

Manchester 09, Hyde Park 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 1+2 2012, EV Manchester 2012, EV London 1+2 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, EV London 1+2 2017, EV Dublin 2017, London 2018, Milan 2018, Padova 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2018, EV Florence 2019, EV Barolo 2019, EV Madrid 2019, Berlin 2022, London 1+2 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022

• Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I'm good with a 2 hour show. Just wish they would still mix it up.

To hear small town, corduroy, alive, YL show after show is so boring. Mix it up.  Open with Spin the Black Circle and end with Blood 
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 598
    Sign me up for THAT show!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Hurts my head all the negativity.  Be grateful you have experienced live music again.  Stay safe all for the rest of the European tour.

• BK221359BK221359 Charleston, SC Posts: 237
    Regardless of negativity I will still be traveling from the US to Ziggo for two nights to end the leg.   Spending 11 days in Europe prior to PJ shows and catching Jack White on July 20th in Paris.  Personally I really enjoyed the first shows back from COVID in NJ and 3 in Ohana…band sounded tight and Gigaton sounded much better than I planned.  Curfews play a part in most gigs nowadays.  Many more rules to follow, and venue contracts are not as forgiving (even punitive in some instances).  Enjoy what you get…Untitled into MFC was worth the ticket by itself.  
    Pensacola, FL - 3-9-1994
    New Orleans, LA - 9-17-1995
    New Orleans, LA - 8-14-2000
    Lexington, KY - 4-26-2016
    Nashville, TN - 6-9-2016 (TMR)
    Bonnaroo - 6-11-2016
    Chicago, IL - 8-18-2018 & 8-20-2018
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9-18-2021
    Ohana Fest - 9-26-2021
    Ohana Fest Encore - 10-1-2021 & 10-2-2021
  • cjoreacjorea Posts: 69
    50 shows - check

Lasting relationships - check... met my beautful wife in Berlin at a Pearl Jam show in 2012.... "you travelled this far to see a band?!?!? I've never even seen Pearl Jam."

I didn't think things were going too far at that point.

We missed this Berlin show on account of our sons' Chicago little league baseball... Little shits :)

Hope to see you all in Frankfurt.

I only mention this because there are more important things in life than lamenting about setlists.

While I personally would have been happy with 2 hours... OF COURSE, we'd want more.

If the Grateful Dead stopped at 2 hours... Or the Boss toned things down...

Pure speculation, but one major difference I believe lies in Eddie, and I can only imagine someone (smarter than the lot of "us") has rightfully instructed him to tone it down.

I personally couldn't sing like that for 5 minutes, let alone 30 years.

His voice is special, and if he "saves" said voice for recordings (e.g. Love Reign O'er Me) to never sing live again, the lot of us can go follow Phish.

The "solution" (instead of Bouncing Round the Room) perhaps lies in extended versions of the songs - 35 min version of Immortality and I'm on cloud nine (literally).

Almost every song is "extendable" or at the very least, something the band could jam on, and half of everybody on here, and about 90% in actual attendance, would think the show was "epic."

"I Am Mine" - I always wish lasted more... "Given To Fly".... The list goes on.

Take the long ones (e.g. Come Back) and keep going. Take the shorter ones and go longer - Matt jungle drum version of "In My Tree"..."Who You Are"

Effective rant here, but I think both "sides" are right on this - a Pearl Jam show is supposed to be a barn burner, and while its nice to keep the comments coming, its really just clogging up the dialogue.

Lets talk instead about how to destory Live Nation... or in the case here, the experience of the show itself.

Rant over.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents.
  • Alex-555Alex-555 Posts: 11
    May be I‘m complete wrong?! But after having thought for a while about the shorter set, I got to the point that it’s possible that after the tragic death of Taylor Hawkins they decided to play shorter concerts…. I have read yesterday that Matt and Chad Smith both have talked to Taylor months ago before he died and he said that the long shows are to heavy for him and he can’t do it any longer. Later they both kind of distanced themselves from that articles in the newspaper but it is still a statement…
  • modernmonkeymodernmonkey Posts: 175
    Alex-555 said:
    May be I‘m complete wrong?! But after having thought for a while about the shorter set, I got to the point that it’s possible that after the tragic death of Taylor Hawkins they decided to play shorter concerts…. I have read yesterday that Matt and Chad Smith both have talked to Taylor months ago before he died and he said that the long shows are to heavy for him and he can’t do it any longer. Later they both kind of distanced themselves from that articles in the newspaper but it is still a statement…
    I was thinking the same thing. Its a possibility.
    1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2
    Hurts my head all the negativity.  Be grateful you have experienced live music again.  Stay safe all for the rest of the European tour.

The band has cut their shows by about 33% and have ignored a lot of their catalogue, so far. Why would you think this wouldn’t be a big part of the discussion surrounding these shows?
  • AponeApone Posts: 575
    Alex-555 said:
    This could easily be a factor.  Remeber Matt is 59 years old and to be fair he is an absolute machine on the drums. 

2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,130
    Apone said:
    Alex-555 said:
    This could easily be a factor.  Remeber Matt is 59 years old and to be fair he is an absolute machine on the drums. 

If that was the reason wouldn't josh giving him a break be the solution ?
  • Alex-555Alex-555 Posts: 11
    edited June 2022
    Apone said:
    Alex-555 said:

If that was the reason wouldn't josh giving him a break be the solution ?
    Nice idea!
    Post edited by Alex-555 on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    edited June 2022
    BK221359 said:
    Regardless of negativity I will still be traveling from the US to Ziggo for two nights to end the leg.   Spending 11 days in Europe prior to PJ shows and catching Jack White on July 20th in Paris.  Personally I really enjoyed the first shows back from COVID in NJ and 3 in Ohana…band sounded tight and Gigaton sounded much better than I planned.  Curfews play a part in most gigs nowadays.  Many more rules to follow, and venue contracts are not as forgiving (even punitive in some instances).  Enjoy what you get…Untitled into MFC was worth the ticket by itself.  
    yeah I would have been happy with MFC for sure

actually the first five songs would have been worth the ticket....and Footsteps
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 214

• maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 214
    For those of you who read German. It’s - in my opinion - a very sensitive and thoughtful review of the show in Berlin and at the same time an analysis of PJ’s (German) fan base and it’s expectations.
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited June 2022
    nicknyr15 said:

The band has cut their shows by about 33% and have ignored a lot of their catalogue, so far. Why would you think this wouldn’t be a big part of the discussion surrounding these shows?

Honestly I think it is just a stale at this point for many of us.  When people are saying the same things over and over about the setlists as if it didn't dominate conversation in ever other show threads this year, there is more of a focus on what isn't there than what is, which kind of bums me out considering how solid the band is musically right now - as it Ed's voice

Like I dunno, differing opinions are valid and all that but I wish there was a filter so fans like me didn't have to wade through a billion "the setlist is shorter wtf" comments, you know? lol
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,216
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,216
    It was a brilliant concert, great atmosphere, we really enjoyed the evening. My older son (he is severely disabled) was in such a good mood. At first he wanted to stay seated, because it's already very exhausting for him, but when Pearl Jam came on stage, there was no stopping him either. He got up, sang along with almost every song... I've rarely seen him so positively! And then that goose bumps moment with Roland - unbelievable! It shows once again how shitty our system is in terms of severe disabilities. Supposedly so much is done for disabled people, but in reality you only experience discrimination and are usually forced to hire a lawyer to get your justice. Kudos to those who made this possible for Roland and a lot of strength and perseverance to his family and friends.
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."