Buffalo

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,639
    PJ_Soul said:

nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The dude decapitated a cat and wrote about it in extreme detail. Can’t he be mentally ill and racist? It’s amazing how many red flags there were. 

is being a sociopath or psychopath being mentally ill?
    I’m no expert but a quick google search claims that it is a mental illness. Not that any of that matters to me. Anyone who takes another’s life is a waste of life and garbage. I don’t look at them any different if society deems them mentally ill. 

They aren't mental illnesses. They are mental disorders. There is a difference.

Thank you but I personally don’t care what the difference is. They’re all murderers to me. I’m just sick of watching murder become political. It seems like the right and left keep score. One cares only about white idiots with ARs and the other only focuses on black on black murders. Both come off as disingenuous with no real desire to solve either one. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    this young man was not mentally ill. he had a calculated plan that he coldly and precisely carried out. he wrote it all down. he was in town the day before checking out that store. he cannot plead insanity because of that. 

what he did was fucked up. but normal functioning people do fucked up things all the time.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    this young man was not mentally ill. he had a calculated plan that he coldly and precisely carried out. he wrote it all down. he was in town the day before checking out that store. he cannot plead insanity because of that. 

what he did was fucked up. but normal functioning people do fucked up things all the time.
    I disagree. This kid was mentally ill.

"He goes on to say he spent the next hour chasing it around and stabbing it with a camouflage knife ... until the animal died. Gendron is said to have also logged times on when it went limp, and how it bled from its mouth.

Doesn't sound like the guy was done desecrating the body ... Gendron went on to say he pounded the cat onto the concrete with its tail, and then cut off its head with a hatchet after about 20 hacks -- with blood splattering on his face."

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    JB16057 said:

"He goes on to say he spent the next hour chasing it around and stabbing it with a camouflage knife ... until the animal died. Gendron is said to have also logged times on when it went limp, and how it bled from its mouth.

Doesn't sound like the guy was done desecrating the body ... Gendron went on to say he pounded the cat onto the concrete with its tail, and then cut off its head with a hatchet after about 20 hacks -- with blood splattering on his face."

So the brutality to animals is a thing, yes.  In Iraq the people there hated cats and dogs.  No pets.  They killed and threw rocks at them.  Was very different there...
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    JB16057 said:

That in itself doesn’t mean he’s mentally ill. It means he’s violent but that doesn’t mean it stems from mental illness. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    One of the problems with this discussion so far is that people are using the term "mentally ill" like it's a unitary phenomenon, when in fact it's a broad descriptive term. There are many different types of mental illness but only a very small proportion affect legal culpability (with probably a somewhat larger proportion affecting moral culpability but that varies depending on personal beliefs). When we talk about a person not being legally responsible for criminal activity due to mental illness we're really only talking about psychosis, and not just that the person has symptoms of psychosis such as delusions and hallucinations but that they directly impair that person's ability to understand the nature of the acts that they are committing and that they are wrong (the exact legal test varies from state to state in the US). So far everything I've read about the killer in this instance does not suggest psychosis. Personality disorders like antisocial personality disorder and even the condition we call psychopathy have aggressive behaviour as part of their core criteria but that doesn't mean that the person is too mentally ill to understand or control their behaviour. 

Again, spot on.

The bottom line is this guy had enough sense about him to know what he was doing, was very methodical about it, and was successful in his objectives up to the point of being detained.  The motive for his actions was racism.  And the only people looking to use mental illness as an excuse for his actions are either racists themselves, or are gun advocates who don't see a problem with allowing people to own and carry weapons intended to kill as many people as possible (and some are both of those things).

The focus here needs to be on the issues of racism, what some of us see as unreasonably lax weapons laws, and the disturbing acceptance and even approval of the consequences of these things by a segment of the radical far right-wing.

My twenty-something self would be shocked to see where we are today.  Fifty years ago, I thought we were on the road to recovering from the broad social sickness that is racism.  Now I wonder if we will ever get there.
    This is opposite of whats going on w the NYC subway shooter where local officials are claiming that "Social Services" were to blame.  He had videos he made w racist rants and even said that the system failed him and he had zero desire to work for the system but had enough forethought to carry out a mass shooting.  

The mental illness angle is being brought up for him yet a few miles up north that shouldn't be considered?

It is interesting on how it gets used.
    Each situation should be looked at on its own merits, with the different facts considered. The subway guy might not have any significant mental illness either but I think one difference with that case is that he reported a history of mental illness and treatment that he wasn’t happy about, so that raises the odds of that being relevant. 
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    JB16057 said:

That in itself doesn’t mean he’s mentally ill. It means he’s violent but that doesn’t mean it stems from mental illness. 
    So maybe he was racist against anyone that is not white and cats.....

"Acts of cruelty to animals are symptomatic of a deep mental disturbance. Research in psychology and criminology shows that people who commit acts of cruelty to animals do not stop there—many of them move on to their fellow humans. Murderers often start out by killing and torturing animals as kids."

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Is there actually an argument going on here about whether of not this Buffalo shooter is responsible for his actions?  He knew what he was doing, he planned the who thing out, he posted rants that were obviously racist.  Jimminy Crickets, are we arguing just to be arguing?  Talk about crazy.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    Is there actually an argument going on here about whether of not this Buffalo shooter is responsible for his actions?  He knew what he was doing, he planned the who thing out, he posted rants that were obviously racist.  Jimminy Crickets, are we arguing just to be arguing?  Talk about crazy.
    Of course he isn't responsible, it's the mental illness caused by the democrat elitist far left marxist agenda that pushed him to racism and violence.  I mean how is this even up for debate?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    Of course he isn't responsible, it's the mental illness caused by the democrat elitist far left marxist agenda that pushed him to racism and violence.  I mean how is this even up for debate?

LOL.  And no doubt it had something to do with space lasers!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    One of the problems with this discussion so far is that people are using the term "mentally ill" like it's a unitary phenomenon, when in fact it's a broad descriptive term. There are many different types of mental illness but only a very small proportion affect legal culpability (with probably a somewhat larger proportion affecting moral culpability but that varies depending on personal beliefs). When we talk about a person not being legally responsible for criminal activity due to mental illness we're really only talking about psychosis, and not just that the person has symptoms of psychosis such as delusions and hallucinations but that they directly impair that person's ability to understand the nature of the acts that they are committing and that they are wrong (the exact legal test varies from state to state in the US). So far everything I've read about the killer in this instance does not suggest psychosis. Personality disorders like antisocial personality disorder and even the condition we call psychopathy have aggressive behaviour as part of their core criteria but that doesn't mean that the person is too mentally ill to understand or control their behaviour. 

Again, spot on.

The bottom line is this guy had enough sense about him to know what he was doing, was very methodical about it, and was successful in his objectives up to the point of being detained.  The motive for his actions was racism.  And the only people looking to use mental illness as an excuse for his actions are either racists themselves, or are gun advocates who don't see a problem with allowing people to own and carry weapons intended to kill as many people as possible (and some are both of those things).

The focus here needs to be on the issues of racism, what some of us see as unreasonably lax weapons laws, and the disturbing acceptance and even approval of the consequences of these things by a segment of the radical far right-wing.

My twenty-something self would be shocked to see where we are today.  Fifty years ago, I thought we were on the road to recovering from the broad social sickness that is racism.  Now I wonder if we will ever get there.
    This is opposite of whats going on w the NYC subway shooter where local officials are claiming that "Social Services" were to blame.  He had videos he made w racist rants and even said that the system failed him and he had zero desire to work for the system but had enough forethought to carry out a mass shooting.  

The mental illness angle is being brought up for him yet a few miles up north that shouldn't be considered?

It is interesting on how it gets used.
    Each situation should be looked at on its own merits, with the different facts considered. The subway guy might not have any significant mental illness either but I think one difference with that case is that he reported a history of mental illness and treatment that he wasn’t happy about, so that raises the odds of that being relevant. 
    More local officials than the NYC shooters admission that mental illness is responsible.  The local powers that be took it as a soapbox moment to bring up a lack of social services in NY.

It was made political by the politicians was my point.
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

Jewish Deathstar space lasers I believe?
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

Correct!

JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

So maybe he was racist against anyone that is not white and cats.....

"Acts of cruelty to animals are symptomatic of a deep mental disturbance. Research in psychology and criminology shows that people who commit acts of cruelty to animals do not stop there—many of them move on to their fellow humans. Murderers often start out by killing and torturing animals as kids."

I’m not even sure what you’re arguing anymore :lol: 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Fire Up Ole' Sparky!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    brianlux said:
    dude is a white supremacist. he knew exactly what he was doing. i don't see how people on here can even argue otherwise.

that is like me saying "i am going to do something at a specific place for this reason and this is how i am gonna do it", and then people arguing that i did not say any of that and that my motive could have been something else.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    brianlux said:
    dude is a white supremacist. he knew exactly what he was doing. i don't see how people on here can even argue otherwise.

that is like me saying "i am going to do something at a specific place for this reason and this is how i am gonna do it", and then people arguing that i did not say any of that and that my motive could have been something else.

Exactly.  This is clearly a carefully planned and executed terrible hate crime.  If someone really wants to think otherwise, I'm saving my breath.  Arguing would be pointless.

It’s important for people to know that whether or not a violent act is carefully planned and executed really has little relevance to whether it’s motivated by psychosis. Someone can have an intense and widespread delusional system and still be capable of planning and carrying out complex actions. You really have to assess the motivations of each individual situation. 
    edited May 2022
    It’s important for people to know that whether or not a violent act is carefully planned and executed really has little relevance to whether it’s motivated by psychosis. Someone can have an intense and widespread delusional system and still be capable of planning and carrying out complex actions. You really have to assess the motivations of each individual situation. 

I was following you right up to the part where you say, "You really have to..."  That always loses me. 
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    brianlux said:

Sounds just like what trump says.  Lie, deny, move on….straight from the 2016 republican playbooks 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Its just mental illness. Was there something else in the bill repubs didn't like? From Letter From an American.

The House also voted today on the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act of 2022, which steps up the sharing of information about domestic terrorism among government departments and creates an interagency task force to analyze and combat white supremacist and neo-Nazi infiltration of the uniformed services and federal law enforcement agencies. The House passed the bill by a vote of 222 to 203. All the no votes came from Republicans; all the Democrats voted in favor. It now goes on to the Senate.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Its just mental illness. Was there something else in the bill repubs didn't like? From Letter From an American.

The House also voted today on the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act of 2022, which steps up the sharing of information about domestic terrorism among government departments and creates an interagency task force to analyze and combat white supremacist and neo-Nazi infiltration of the uniformed services and federal law enforcement agencies. The House passed the bill by a vote of 222 to 203. All the no votes came from Republicans; all the Democrats voted in favor. It now goes on to the Senate.

Would love, love, love to hear comments on why 203 people voted NO.

If you come across any please post em here.  I'll get my popcorn ready as I don't know what else was in there that they didn't like? 

So I read the bill.  The only thing I can see that they might not be happy with is the targeting of police officers?  Plus if you get slapped with and found guilty on one of these charges it will follow you around for the rest of your life like a sex crime.  In theory I like it but that is all I can see as to why they voted down for it.  That or they just don't want another task force paid for to poke around?

I don't know.  Let them answer because I am curious.

If you come across any please post em here.  I'll get my popcorn ready as I don't know what else was in there that they didn't like? 

So I read the bill.  The only thing I can see that they might not be happy with is the targeting of police officers?  Plus if you get slapped with and found guilty on one of these charges it will follow you around for the rest of your life like a sex crime.  In theory I like it but that is all I can see as to why they voted down for it.  That or they just don't want another task force paid for to poke around?

You probably have to start with who wrote the bill and who it is aimed at to understand why republicans would vote against it.

You probably have to start with who wrote the bill and who it is aimed at to understand why republicans would vote against it.
    So if say Pelosi or AOC wrote it it's an automatic NO vote?

Any Democrat 
    Anyone who supports President Joe Biden
    Anyone who voted for impeachment 
    Etc etc
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481

Any Democrat 
    Etc etc
    Doesn’t matter. If any communist, Marxist, liberal democrat sponsors or supports it, repubs are against it. Particularly from a failed state or city such as shitcago.

https://www.congress.gov/member/bradley-schneider/S001190
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

Any Democrat 
    Etc etc

Any Democrat 
    Etc etc
    Doesn’t matter. If any communist, Marxist, liberal democrat sponsors or supports it, repubs are against it. Particularly from a failed state or city such as shitcago.

Party first country second still.

I miss bipartisanship.  I really do...
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422

Any Democrat 
    Etc etc

Any Democrat 
    Etc etc

Party first country second still.

I miss bipartisanship.  I really do...

Hey, .56% of Gop house members voted FOR that bill.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14