Buffalo

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
I read this in an article this morning: "The Erie County sheriff, John Garcia, would later refuse to speak his name at a news briefing: “As far as we’re concerned, he’s Inmate Control Number 157103.”"
I though that was very appropriate. It's much more important and worthy to recognize and remember the victims than it is the shooter. I have no interest in knowing that persons name.

IMG

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    So pointless and sad.  And no one will do anything about it but send thoughts and fake ass prayers.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    We've become so desensitized to this kind of violence that my gut reaction was "its own thread?"  

And to be honest, I hope Buffalo does get lost in the shuffle with the countless other incidents...as opposed to being well-remembered as "the first Great Replacement Theory Massacre."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    So pointless and sad.  And no one will do anything about it but send thoughts and fake ass prayers.
    The time for action is over. We are an empire in decline held victim by the pride of our imagined past.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421

By CAROLYN THOMPSON and MATT SEDENSKY
    Today

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — They were caregivers and protectors and helpers, running an errand or doing a favor or finishing out a shift, when their paths crossed with a young man driven by racism and hatred and baseless conspiracy theories.

In a flash, the ordinariness of their day was broken at Tops Friendly Market in Buffalo, where in and around the supermarket's aisles, a symbol of the mundane was transformed into a scene of mass murder.

Carts lay abandoned. Bodies littered the tile floor. Police radios crackled with calls for help.

Investigators will try, for days to come, to piece together the massacre that killed 10 people, all Black and apparently hunted for the color of their skin.

(AP Video/Robert Bumsted)

Those who loved them are left with their memories of the lost, who suffered death amid the simple task of buying groceries.

“These people were just shopping,” said Steve Carlson, 29, mourning his 72-year-old neighbor Katherine Massey, who checked in often, giving him gifts on his birthday and at Christmas, and pressing money into his hand when he helped with yardwork. “They went to go get food to feed their families.”

This photo dated Oct. 24, 2011 shows Katherine Massey walking near the corner of Elmwood and Tupper in Buffalo, N.Y. Massey was one of the victims killed in the grocery store shooting in Buffalo on Saturday. Her sister calls her "a beautiful soul." {Robert Kirkham/The Buffalo News via AP)

One came from volunteering at a food bank. Another had been tending to her husband at his nursing home. Most were in their 50s and beyond, and were destined for more, even if just the dinner they planned to make.

Shonnell Harris, a manager at the store, was stocking shelves when she heard the first of what she figured must have been more than 70 shots. She ran for the back door, stumbling a few times along the way. She wondered where her daughter, a grocery clerk, was, and went around to the front of the store.

She saw someone being shot, she said, and a man who looked like he was dressed for the Army.

“Like a nightmare,” Harris told The Buffalo News, shaken but grateful to have found her daughter safe.

The grisly scene was broadcast online by the gunman, a video notable not just for the cold-bloodedness of the killings, but how fast they unfolded. In the deafening rat-a-tat of gunfire, 10 voices were silenced, their stories left for others to recite.

Of a woman whose niece swore she was “the apple of God’s eye.” Of a longtime policeman who became a guard at the store and whose son knew he died a hero. Of an ace baker who’d give you the shirt off her back.

Garnell Whitfield Jr., whose 86-year-old mother Ruth Whitfield was killed in the attack, said she had come to Tops after her daily ritual of visiting her husband of 68 years in his nursing home. In so many ways, for so many years, Whitfield Jr. said his mother had devoted her life to those she loved.

“That day was like every other day for my mom,” he said Monday as he pondered how to break the news to his father.

Garnell Whitfield Jr., left, the son of Ruth Whitfield, a victim of shooting at a supermarket, speaks with members of the media during a news conference in Buffalo, N.Y., Monday, May 16, 2022. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
    Lauren Gibson, a great granddaughter of Ruth Whitfield, a victim of shooting at a supermarket, is overwhelmed with emotion during a news conference in Buffalo, N.Y., Monday, May 16, 2022. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
    Kamilah Whitfield, center, a granddaughter of Ruth Whitfield, a victim of shooting at a supermarket, speaks with members of the media during a news conference in Buffalo, N.Y., Monday, May 16, 2022. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Heyward Patterson, a 67-year-old deacon at State Tabernacle Church of God in Christ, was similarly doing the things he’d long been known for. He had just come from helping at his church’s soup kitchen and now was at Tops, volunteering in the community jitney service that shuttles people without a ride to and from the store.

Pastor Russell Bell of the Tabernacle Church said he believed Patterson had been loading someone’s groceries into his trunk when the shots took him down.

“Anywhere he was, he was encouraging people to be the best that they could be,” Bell said.

As customers arrived at Tops ahead of the shooting, their purpose was clear.

Roberta Drury, 32, was in search of something for dinner. Andre Mackneil, 53, came to pick up a cake for his son’s third birthday. Celestine Chaney, 65, needed some shortcake to go with the strawberries she sliced.

For some in the store, it was likely a trip of necessity, to fill an emptied fridge or get a missing ingredient. For Chaney, though, it was more than some stubborn chore. Stores were her passion.

Wayne Jones, left, looks on as his aunt JoAnn Daniels, holds a photograph of his mother Celestine Chaney, who was killed in Saturday's shooting at a supermarket, during an interview with The Associated Press in Buffalo, N.Y., Monday, May 16, 2022. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Her 48-year-old son, Wayne Jones, said he'd typically take his mother shopping each week, stopping at grocery store after grocery store in search of the best deals, with the occasional stop for a hot dog or McDonald's.

“We'd hit four or five stores looking for a deal,” he laughed even as his face was wet with tears.

On Saturday, it was Chaney's older sister, JoAnn Daniels, 74, who accompanied her shopping, and the two sisters made a meandering trip through Tops' aisles. Chaney knew she needed shortcakes, but flitting around the store, she decided she wanted to make shrimp salad, too, giggling with her sister as they filled the cart. She surveyed the roast beef and complained about the price of rolls before taking interest in chicken legs.

“You done?” she finally asked her sister, who said she was.

Pops suddenly ricocheted. The sisters thought they were firecrackers, but others started running. They went to follow, but Chaney was knocked down. Daniels said she reached to help, but her sister said she was fine.

“I'm coming,” Daniels said her sister assured. She thought Chaney was behind her.

It would be hours before she learned the truth, when her nephew saw the video of the shooting: Her baby sister, who had survived breast cancer and three surgeries for aneurysms, died on a trip to the grocery store.

Wayne Jones, holds his son Donell, while speaking during an interview with The Associated Press about his mother Celestine Chaney, who was killed in Saturday's shooting at a supermarket, in Buffalo, N.Y., Monday, May 16, 2022. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
    JoAnn Daniels speaks during an interview with The Associated Press, Monday, May 16, 2022, about her sister Celestine Chaney who was killed at the shooting at a supermarket over the weekend, in Buffalo, N.Y. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
    JoAnn Daniels, left, accompanied by, Kayla Jones, lower second from right, Donell Jones, lower right, and other family members, speaks during an interview with The Associated Press about her sister Celestine Chaney, who was killed in Saturday's shooting at a supermarket, in Buffalo, N.Y., Monday, May 16, 2022. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

___

Sedensky reported from New York. Associated Press writer Robert Bumsted in Buffalo contributed to this report.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    It’s awful and I’m not surprised which makes it even worse.

The fact this guy initially searched out schools is probably enough to give some parents pause.  I send my kids to a diverse school and live in a diverse area 100 percent on purpose.  I’d be lying if my first thought wasn’t, is this still a good idea? Angry white people are terrifying and it’s not really that isolated of an incident 
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    OnWis97 said:
    We've become so desensitized to this kind of violence that my gut reaction was "its own thread?"  

And to be honest, I hope Buffalo does get lost in the shuffle with the countless other incidents...as opposed to being well-remembered as "the first Great Replacement Theory Massacre."
    How about angry black people?

How about angry Chinese people?

There are angry people of all colors all over the place. It has more to do with mental illness than skin color.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

There are angry people of all colors all over the place. It has more to do with mental illness than skin color.

an apologist for white gunmen....good work!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I know... it is pointless to try and have an honest conversation here. 

So are you saying that this guy being white is his main issue and that mental illness has nothing to do with this?
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Looking at the ages of the victims, it reinforces just how much of a coward and worthless piece of shit that shooter is.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    edited May 2022
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

So are you saying that this guy being white is his main issue and that mental illness has nothing to do with this?
    Mental illness is also an excuse white people use to explain the actions of other white people.  And I’m referring to people like Fox hosts here. Then it gets amplified to other white people. Fundamentally they know what it’s about, blaming an illness makes them feel less responsible 

on 9/11 who blamed mental illness? No one 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Mental illness is also an excuse white people use to explain the actions of other white people.  And I’m referring to people like Fox hosts here. Then it gets amplified to other white people. Fundamentally they know what’s it’s about, blaming an illness makes them feel less responsible 

So how about this black guy wanting to kill white people? Surely this guy has no mental illness, right?
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Mental illness is also an excuse white people use to explain the actions of other white people.  And I’m referring to people like Fox hosts here. Then it gets amplified to other white people. Fundamentally they know what’s it’s about, blaming an illness makes them feel less responsible 

So how about this black guy wanting to kill white people? Surely this guy has no mental illness, right?

This happens in other countries like it does here?
    edited May 2022
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

First of all mental illness and a legal definition of insanity are not even close to the same thing.

most people probably have some sort of mental illness as that’s a catch all term. In any given year it’s 1 in 4 Americans, over a lifetime it’s probably everyone has had a bout with mental illness. Planning, execution, etc all show the person knows what they are doing.  You can’t blame a mental illness on their actions in the same way you could on a schizophrenic who literally can’t process reality.  They also can’t execute a plan months in advance.

You can’t blame mental illness for these actions as if it was an excuse everyone would do something like this in their lifetime, and we don’t 

mental illness gets inserted strategically so the conversation isn’t about guns, or white nationalism.  When it’s a black guy it’s to divert the attention from guns typically (if it’s the kind of shooting that’s going to become a gun issue, but it’s not in your run of the mill shooting), when it’s a white nationalist it’s to divert from both issues, 

JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

First of all mental illness and a legal definition of insanity are not even close to the same thing.

most people probably have some sort of mental illness as that’s a catch all term. In any given year it’s 1 in 4 Americans, over a lifetime it’s probably everyone has had a bout with mental illness. Planning, execution, etc all show the person knows what they are doing.  You can’t blame a mental illness on their actions in the same way you could on a schizophrenic who literally can’t process reality.  They also can’t execute a plan months in advance.

You can’t blame mental illness for these actions as if it was an excuse everyone would do something like this in their lifetime, and we don’t 

I'm not saying that this is only a mental illness issue but it does play a big part of it. This guy obviously had mental issues but the system allowed him to move forward with his plan. Gun laws don't matter if they aren't being enforced.

There were 33 people shot in Chicago this weekend with 5 fatalities. How many of these shooters were white?
    edited May 2022
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I'm not saying that this is only a mental illness issue but it does play a big part of it. This guy obviously had mental issues but the system allowed him to move forward with his plan. Gun laws don't matter if they aren't being enforced.

There were 33 people shot in Chicago this weekend with 5 fatalities. How many of these shooters were white?
    You are comparing different things though. 
    Chicago is overwhelmingly black on black crime.  In rural Kansas it’s white on white crime.  Crime of proximity, crime of being involved in criminal behaviour etc 

We are talking about racially motivated, random, indiscriminate white on black crime. That type of crime is more common than racially motivated black on white.  Historically it’s true and today it’s true 

white people would lose their minds if black people started driving to the suburbs to target them. That’s a fact 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

How about instead of whataboutism you and others just accept that there is a white supremacist problem in this country. A problem so deep and widespread that it has a name "Great Replacement Theory" that is driving young white men to kill innocent people of color.

Was what happened in NYC and California bad? Yes of course. But there are many more instances of white guys killing black or brown people because of their skin color than vice versa. 

We now have "mainstream" tv broadcasters and elected politicians who openly and loudly subscribe to this insane theory.

They all need to man up and accept the fact that someday soon white people will no longer be the majority. 
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

You are comparing different things though. 
    Chicago is overwhelmingly black on black crime.  In rural Kansas it’s white on white crime.  Crime of proximity, crime of being involved in criminal behaviour etc 

We are talking about racially motivated white on black. That type of crime is more common than racially motivated black on white.  Historically it’s true and today it’s true 

white people would lose their minds if black people started driving to the suburbs to target them. That’s a fact 
    A black nationalist just attacked a subway full of people last month but all you want to discuss is how white nationalist are the only problem? There is a multitude of problems and if you don't want to discuss the huge piece that mental illness plays, you are part of the problem.

You want to discuss white nationalists? I don't know any so I don't have much information for you but I do know a lot of people that have mental illness and struggle every day.
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

How about instead of whataboutism you and others just accept that there is a white supremacist problem in this country. A problem so deep and widespread that it has a name "Great Replacement Theory" that is driving young white men to kill innocent people of color.

Was what happened in NYC and California bad? Yes of course. But there are many more instances of white guys killing black or brown people because of their skin color than vice versa. 

We now have "mainstream" tv broadcasters and elected politicians who openly and loudly subscribe to this insane theory.

They all need to man up and accept the fact that someday soon white people will no longer be the majority. 
    There are more problems than white supremacy in America and they get ignored every day. This kid was mentally ill and had the police followed through, he wouldn't have been allowed to purchase a gun.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    So you came in this thread to downplay the current issue with one you'd prefer be focused on. Your are good at this game on most threads. Divert and Redirect it baby, you got this!
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    So you came in this thread to downplay the current issue with one you'd prefer be focused on. Your are good at this game on most threads. Divert and Redirect it baby, you got this!
    Mental illness is a WAY bigger issue than white supremacy will ever be. There will always be racists. You can not eradicate them.
    edited May 2022
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

There are more problems than white supremacy in America and they get ignored every day. This kid was mentally ill and had the police followed through, he wouldn't have been allowed to purchase a gun.
    You would think the party that into guns would do something then to take the focus off guns 

I agree with you there is a mental health problem.  Accessing mental health services is next to impossible unless you have a lot of money. Democrats would pass a bill tomorrow for a universal mental health system 

getting my kid into a therapist for a minor anxiety issue via insurance was a non starter. Paying with cash no problem but it still took 4 months   

Something tells me this kid couldn’t have seen a therapist even if he wanted to 
    Here is how I differ from all of you... When the black nationalist shot up the subway, I didn't say, "it was just another black man killing white people". I knew it was mental illness.

When a white kid does the SAME THING but in reverse, you all want to talk about white nationalism as if black nationalism isn't a thing or that mental illness plays no part.

Keep blaming white people and see where that gets you....
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

prove it he was mentally ill.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    JB16057 said:
    Here is how I differ from all of you... When the black nationalist shot up the subway, I didn't say, "it was just another black man killing white people". I knew it was mental illness.

When a white kid does the SAME THING but in reverse, you all want to talk about white nationalism as if black nationalism isn't a thing or that mental illness plays no part.

Keep blaming white people and see where that gets you....
    You're absolutely right this is a mental health issue.

Should he have gotten help a long time ago? Yes

But, he was driven by the white supremacist bullshit he heard/saw on TV, the internet,  and social media.
    So yes something has to be done about mental illness problem in America but also the white supremacist problem that Republicans seem to have no problem aligning with to get votes.
    mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

He was planning on shooting up his school a year ago. Was that attack also based on race?

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Racist beliefs are not mental illness. Violence driven by racism is not mental illness. 

If there is information to suggest that this individual was mentally ill then I'd like to see it. The argument  "he was violent so he must be mentally ill" doesn't cut it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2022
    So it seems this Grendron POS racist fuck literally told everyone he was going to do this on Discord and Chan4, eh? And nobody did anything about it. I'm pretty sure Chan4 has voluneer moderators (not to mention the other users) who could do something when stuff like that gets posted, but they don't, all in the name of free speech.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2022
    PJ_Soul said:
    So it seems this Grendron POS literally told everyone he was going to do this on Discord and Chan4, eh? And nobody did anything about it. I'm pretty sure Chan4 has voluneer moderators (not to mention the other users) who could do something when stuff like that gets posted, but they don't, all in the name of free speech.
    He streamed it on twitch.  Pretty sure the new Texas law on tech companies censoring content could be applied here.

you can sue twitch for taking the video down because it censored him for expressing what was clearly a viewpoint. As sick as that viewpoint was 

crazy right? 

Certainly though moderating his posts would get challenged 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

why are you trying to derail a thread honoring victims by asking "what about" all these other things?

this shooter is a nazi and a terrorist that was radicalized by 8 chan and fox news. any other scenario you may bring up is a false equivalence.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    edited May 2022
    JB16057 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    OnWis97 said:

He was planning on shooting up his school a year ago. Was that attack also based on race?

have seen no reporting he planned to shoot up his school last year.

did see he answered a question in class of "what do you plan to do when you retire" with murder/suicide.

if that reporting was wrong, show a link stating what you claim.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on