*** Pearl Jam Oakland, CA Fanviews 5/13/22 ***

Comments

• utpaldesaiutpaldesai Posts: 24
    Highlights of the show: Long Road, Immortality, WMA , Seven O'Clock and MYM with Kai Neukermans on drums. 
    Ed's voice sounded incredible. Mike was on fire tonight. The crowd was having a great time. Thank you Pearl Jam.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    This show was the best I can remember in terms of PJ playing with that bit of anger that attracted us all to their style back in the day.  It was just incredible.  A time machine.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • chaspjchaspj Portlandia Posts: 47
    Ditto on the props for mixing it up, especially on such short notice for Richard and Josh. Of course there's no one like MFC, but Richard was a joy machine. His exuberance was infectious and I loved seeing the guys smiling at him and enjoying his moment in the sun with him. 

Mike was energetic and animated. The Strat took some good whacks on RVM. Saw a couple chunks fly when he clocked the mic stand.  He also left a few souvenirs on the rail. My first time there so not sure if that's common. 
    "Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable"

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Oakland I and II 2020 2022
    Nashvegas 2022
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Killer setlist!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,696
    chaspj said:
    Ditto on the props for mixing it up, especially on such short notice for Richard and Josh. Of course there's no one like MFC, but Richard was a joy machine. His exuberance was infectious and I loved seeing the guys smiling at him and enjoying his moment in the sun with him. 

Mike was energetic and animated. The Strat took some good whacks on RVM. Saw a couple chunks fly when he clocked the mic stand.  He also left a few souvenirs on the rail. My first time there so not sure if that's common. 
    In oslo he left us pictures.  Wonderful  human  being 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Awesome version of Porch. 

Everyone talking about the anger. I didn’t see anything that out of the ordinary for Eddie.  Have we forgotten the 90s?  
  • WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 208
    edited May 2022
    As a fan, it was a fantastic show, though it pains me to know/see the band was so frustrated at times. But despite that, they're professionals and put on an amazing show. I was down on the floor and could see/sense Ed's frustration, but I bet 75% of the crowd had no idea and again, they're so good, what were mistakes to them were probably lost on most of the crowd. And as others have said, a lot of that was likely frustration with two years of Covid, finally doing the tour but with all of the attendant hassles, Matt not being there and all the drummer craziness, throw in Putin's evil war and Roe v. Wade on the chopping block, and Ed just reached a boiling point.

But while it bothers me that he's troubled, a little ferociousness in Ed does give an added edge to the likes of Porch, RVM, etc. so call it a silver lining for us to some dark clouds for the band. Hopefully they get Matt back soon and stability on the kit that takes at least that stress out of the equation.

But I loved it, my 35th show and I finally got a full version of my beloved user-name song (I'd gotten a small tag at the end of Daughter back in '95 but that doesn't compare), plus my first Smile and Bee Girl, my first BOJ since '98. Immortality, State and Hatred were insane.

My only complaint would be only hearing three different Gigaton songs over the two nights, but I understand why that probably happened. Ed teased Bridge School again for the second straight night so maybe I'll get lucky and get to see Comes Then Goes or River Cross this fall ; )

• walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557

My only complaint would be only hearing three different Gigaton songs over the two nights, but I understand why that probably happened. Ed teased Bridge School again for the second straight night so maybe I'll get lucky and get to see Comes Then Goes or River Cross this fall ; )

Wait, what? Did he say Bridge School is making a return? That would be glorious. 
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Not a Neil fan but I’d like to see a day of unplugged shows.  Lineups were usually really interesting 
  • curleybarneycurleybarney USA Posts: 156
    edited May 2022
    Show 14 for me and first for my 12 year old. He had a great time and was in awe of the setlist (fun post-show drive home discussing). The run from Long Road to Brain of J was fantastic. Kai killed it on the drums. I appreciate the band differing from the night 1 setlist despite all the challenges of the shows without Matt. 

Ed's frustration was noticeable from up in 101. I couldn't tell why he was upset but you could see that he was. But hell, there's a lot of shit to be upset about. Postponing for 2 years only to have COVID disrupt their tour has gotta be frustrating. Let it out, Ed!

We also appreciated the Warriors score update 😄

Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    Clearly, Ed's mistake was scheduling last night's show on the same night MC5 was playing across the Bay in SF.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465

Everyone talking about the anger. I didn’t see anything that out of the ordinary for Eddie.  Have we forgotten the 90s?  

My thoughts exactly. I didn't get to see them in the early 90s, so to get a small taste of that intensity last night made the show better.
  • reedrothchildreedrothchild Posts: 538
    While it’s rare for Ed to be angry these days, up until 2003 he was angry at most shows and it honestly made for some incredible and intense shows.  I for one am excited to listen to these last couple as they’ve never hit the highs in recent years that they did from 92-2005 imo.  Cheers and looking forward to Vegas next week!
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    As a fan, it was a fantastic show, though it pains me to know/see the band was so frustrated at times. But despite that, they're professionals and put on an amazing show. I was down on the floor and could see/sense Ed's frustration, but I bet 75% of the crowd had no idea and again, they're so good, what were mistakes to them were probably lost on most of the crowd. And as others have said, a lot of that was likely frustration with two years of Covid, finally doing the tour but with all of the attendant hassles, Matt not being there and all the drummer craziness, throw in Putin's evil war and Roe v. Wade on the chopping block, and Ed just reached a boiling point.

But while it bothers me that he's troubled, a little ferociousness in Ed does give an added edge to the likes of Porch, RVM, etc. so call it a silver lining for us to some dark clouds for the band. Hopefully they get Matt back soon and stability on the kit that takes at least that stress out of the equation.

But I loved it, my 35th show and I finally got a full version of my beloved user-name song (I'd gotten a small tag at the end of Daughter back in '95 but that doesn't compare), plus my first Smile and Bee Girl, my first BOJ since '98. Immortality, State and Hatred were insane.

Dude! Have we met at a show before, if not we should as I love your screen name being a fan of the Crowes myself. I was at that ‘95 SJ show as well and it’s still one of my all time favorite shows. 

But I agree with you, I think this is my first ever proper WMA in my 42 shows. They played it at the OAK ‘13 & Milan ‘14 shows I went to, but those were just longer tags.
  • Zod said:
    I felt like night 1 has this more loose/happy vibe to it because of the last minute change and challenge.   Even though the set was pretty straightforward it was an amazing show and they made it look like subbing a dummer last second is easy to do.

Last night looked tougher with the different setlist from the band, but it was amazing they pulled it off.  We were talking between shows of how they'd approach that.  Do they repeat night 1 given those were mostly the more popular straightforward songs the drummers are most familiar with.. or do they find a way to mix up.   They took the tougher route for sure and I appreciate it.

My only real disappointment is I saw so little of Gigaton on the Gigaton tour.   Hopefully it comes to Seattle/Vancouver next year and I can catch a few more tunes.   That being said they did play 3/4 of the tunes I really wanted to hear from the album.    Would love to hear dance of the clairvoyants live... but that's a tough one to pass off with replacement drummers :(
    Yeah what he said. Night one had this “without a net” hold on to your hats folks feel. What a blast. 

The one track I really wanted to hear from Gigaton was Take The Long Way which was built for the concert stage. 

Good fun both nights. Night one though was a keeper. Definitely Vancouver/Seattle please. 
  • demaydemay Posts: 67
    Great 2 night run, both really different in vibe and energy.  I've never seen them jam WMA out that way.  Interesting, that Ed didn't drink a swig of wine all night. And, it looks like on all the shows so far on tour, with or without Matt, they're only playing 2-3 songs off Gigaton.  This show felt like their 2005 run, when they tapping into how pissed off people were and expressed it musically.  
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    demay said:
    Great 2 night run, both really different in vibe and energy.  I've never seen them jam WMA out that way.  Interesting, that Ed didn't drink a swig of wine all night. And, it looks like on all the shows so far on tour, with or without Matt, they're only playing 2-3 songs off Gigaton.  This show felt like their 2005 run, when they tapping into how pissed off people were and expressed it musically.  
    They played a ton of Gigaton early in the tour. 8 at San Diego, 6 at LA1. Started scaling back at LA3.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
    I think they played fewer Gigaton songs at LA2 because they had played six the night before.  (And "River Cross" was originally supposed to be played at LA2.)  They played four in AZ (and, again, it would have been five because "River Cross" was scratched.  Since then, Matt's absence is the likely reason for the limited Gigaton content in Oakland.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    BF25394 said:
    I think they played fewer Gigaton songs at LA2 because they had played six the night before.  (And "River Cross" was originally supposed to be played at LA2.)  They played four in AZ (and, again, it would have been five because "River Cross" was scratched.  Since then, Matt's absence is the likely reason for the limited Gigaton content in Oakland.
    Yep, agree. They might ramp it back up in the last show or two if Matt is right to go. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    edited May 2022

My thoughts exactly. I didn't get to see them in the early 90s, so to get a small taste of that intensity last night made the show better.

Ucp3iverson said:

I agree 100%. I wasn’t there, so perhaps I’m not in a position to speak about it. That said, I’ve seen Ed angry at shows I’ve been to and never thought much about it. Nothing out of the ordinary. Sounds like he was pretty much fine after his initial anger display. Greatest band in the world. 
    Post edited by PRL1JAM on
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 243
    BF25394 said:
    I sure hope so.  I can't see a reason why River Cross or Comes Then Goes could not have been played to open the 2nd set instead of the oh so 2003 You've Got To Hide Your Love Away and Bee Girl.  I'm afraid the only 3-4 songs from Gigaton like at LA2 and PHX is the new norm.  I really love Gigaton and was looking forward to hearing the customary 6-8 songs from whatever new album they were touring on instead of just 3-4 songs from it.
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 - LA I&II, Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore?
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 350
    MM70435 said:
    BF25394 said:
    I sure hope so.  I can't see a reason why River Cross or Comes Then Goes could not have been played to open the 2nd set instead of the oh so 2003 You've Got To Hide Your Love Away and Bee Girl.  I'm afraid the only 3-4 songs from Gigaton like at LA2 and PHX is the new norm.  I really love Gigaton and was looking forward to hearing the customary 6-8 songs from whatever new album they were touring on instead of just 3-4 songs from it.
    They’ve played a total of seven shows so far on this tour, two of them without Cameron. There is no “new norm.” There is no old norm. This has not been a normal tour.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22)
  • WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 502
    copy what heart of dog just said there. minced no words. cool to be following. happy that they are touring and patiently waiting for msg. do you think they were smart enough to know there would be a spike in the northeast and thats why they aren't coming through here before europe. I know there's an issue with arenas bc of hockey, but wondering if they get that good of intel with covid. they were spot on with coming into NYC for earthlings just as numbers were ok. ill hang up and listen. 
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    W.M.A. looked amazing! Great drums!

WMA WAS PERFECTION
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811

Richard Stuverud…return of the symbol <3  Equipt with a whole lotta thunder and energy. A joy to watch. So much emotion, he was singing along. Kid in a kandy store with a pocket full of money. Love his style. His happiness was infectious. Bet he’s a great teacher. Thought I saw him channeling a little Bonham and Moon here and there. Early on (when Stone wasn’t in the way :) ) I realized l could clearly see both hands and both feet working. Richard was endless movement. Whole body, everything going at once. Controlled koas kind of. When a song would build, and that movement followed, like the end of Porch, it was fantastic, very exciting to witness. A great night all around.  

Big thank you to stage/sound/light designers. Much shorter corner speakers allowed unobstructed views from side seats! Great change, a gift. Loved the lighting, didn’t seem like much, but it rocked a whole bunch. The shape, a wave I guess, was cool. 

second best without Matt, get well man. hope to see you back soon.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Y. VANY. VAN france Posts: 132
    Amazing WMA! Very good Very good game with power, nuance, the real tribal game. It must be played in Europe.

Une demande "WMA" pour le Tour Européen 2018 

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    WMA was amazing... Crowd was all over it 

Dissident, crazy Mary, brain.... Great stuff 

Every show is better than the last... I can't say that enough 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    Zod said:
    I felt like night 1 has this more loose/happy vibe to it because of the last minute change and challenge.   Even though the set was pretty straightforward it was an amazing show and they made it look like subbing a dummer last second is easy to do.

Last night looked tougher with the different setlist from the band, but it was amazing they pulled it off.  We were talking between shows of how they'd approach that.  Do they repeat night 1 given those were mostly the more popular straightforward songs the drummers are most familiar with.. or do they find a way to mix up.   They took the tougher route for sure and I appreciate it.

My only real disappointment is I saw so little of Gigaton on the Gigaton tour.   Hopefully it comes to Seattle/Vancouver next year and I can catch a few more tunes.   That being said they did play 3/4 of the tunes I really wanted to hear from the album.    Would love to hear dance of the clairvoyants live... but that's a tough one to pass off with replacement drummers :(
    I was really bummed they didn't play "Dance of the Clairvoyants", but wasn't surprised. I enjoyed the show, but will admit that it was very noticeable that the sound was a bit off without Matt.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Zod said:

I was really bummed they didn't play "Dance of the Clairvoyants", but wasn't surprised. I enjoyed the show, but will admit that it was very noticeable that the sound was a bit off without Matt.
    Not surprise. That’s a tough song on drums, same with Take the Long Way. Matt is a machine and lives in odd meters. Most of the songs he writes are in odd time plus being in Soundgarden obviously helped with that. Chris also wrote a lot in odd time. 
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    nicknyr15 said:
    Zod said:

Not surprise. That’s a tough song on drums, same with Take the Long Way. Matt is a machine and lives in odd meters. Most of the songs he writes are in odd time plus being in Soundgarden obviously helped with that. Chris also wrote a lot in odd time. 
    Idk, DoC seems pretty straightforward to me. Makes sense they wouldn’t play take the long way though since that’s actually one of Matt’s tunes
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas