Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Nami said:
    Parksy said:
    It’s not even Trudeau reusing the EA that I’m concerned about, although I could see him using it in regards to his environmental agenda. If he truly is clean on the use of the EA then Trudeau should have no problem with an open and transparent examination of what occurred and why (except his default setting is to cover up, as we’ve seen over 7 years now).

I’ve considered all the situations we’ve seen play out that were worse than what happened in Ottawa (remember, the border blockades were pretty much dealt with by the time Trudeau decided to do anything other than slander) where the EA wasn’t used (G20 in Toronto, hockey riots, Occupy movement, “land defender” blockades, railroad blockades, tree occupations). I’ll say again, if Ottawa was facing an insurrection and seige, they were the worst ones ever! If it was so dangerous why were MPs allowed to attend Parliament, especially the women with the rape gangs that were roaming the land according to Bill Blair?

My main concern is that the bar is now so low for employing the EA future PMs will be less hesitant to use it. And in this case, it was never actually fully authorized (no Senate vote).

Sometimes peoples’ concerns aren’t always partisan, even if it’s easier to dismiss them as such.

Then again, all this is said by someone who is part of a fringe minority who holds unacceptable views and stands with people who wave swastikas, according to dear Justin.

None of those reached the levels of disruption this freedom convoy did, got the international attention it did, and got the attention of POTUS. 

With regards to my first point... if the fear is that he is covering something up, what is he hiding in terms of the EA?  As someone pointed out... if there is no fire to put out, why call in a bunch of fire trucks?    You're asking what occurred and why....   We already know that. It was outlined and explained. So beyond what was outlined and explained... what needs to be investigated? 

Your last point is good, honest and deserved criticism of JT. 
    I’m honestly not sure how much international attention the other incidents received, but for me that’s a non-issue. The Act is meant to address moments of national crisis, both domestic and international.

As for a review of the use of the Act, it’s required by law in the Act itself, and please forgive me if I refuse to accept the government’s version of events at face value.

I’m also still waiting for Trudeau to apologize to the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors for saying she (Melissa Lantsman and the CPC generally) stands with people who wave swastikas. Fortunately for me, I’ve stopped expecting any level of decency from this PM.

It was very telling to me this weekend talking with my nephews visiting from Ottawa (they’re not downtown). I asked what they thought about the convoy and was told it was terrible. When I probed a bit to see how they were directly affected, it became clear they weren’t directly bothered at all. Clearly their parents had told them how to feel about it.
    Oh it's not going well for him at the EU conference:
    https://youtu.be/kNiL5ZivqAk
    I’d seen clips of the Croatian MEP’s lambasting of Trudeau, but the applause at the end of the woman’s speech was telling as well.

I did laugh during Trudeau’s speech when he raised the spectre of the trucker convoy as a threat to democracy, while not that far away an actual threat to democracy is playing out in the Ukraine. If we had been serious about preventing what’s happening there we should have been enacting sanctions as the military buildup was occurring, but in the 3 weeks prior Trudeau was nowhere to be seen (except by zoom from an undisclosed location) until he used the nuclear option to break up a primarily peaceful protest.
    It's all about context. it is equally absurd, if not more so, that these truckers were calling themselves "freedom fighters" while the real freedom fighters were family men and women losing their lives protecting their homes. 

there can be threats to democracy large and small. 

I also find it odd that people keep harping on "trudeau is in hiding". he wasn't in hiding. his son had covid so he was isolating with him. plus there were security concerns about the convoy. this is normal security protocol for a head of state. if you recall, there was a nutjob that in 2020 rammed his vehicle through the gates of the PM's residence. take into account that this was one guy. now you have thousands of semi trucks, some of them nutjobs. I don't blame him at all for being moved. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Just found out the attempted arson that Mendicino linked to the protesters wasn’t related to the convoy. Why hasn’t this been given more coverage (I had to google “Ottawa protest arson”)?

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/ottawa/2022/3/21/1_5828171.amp.html
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Nami said:
    Parksy said:
    It’s not even Trudeau reusing the EA that I’m concerned about, although I could see him using it in regards to his environmental agenda. If he truly is clean on the use of the EA then Trudeau should have no problem with an open and transparent examination of what occurred and why (except his default setting is to cover up, as we’ve seen over 7 years now).

I’ve considered all the situations we’ve seen play out that were worse than what happened in Ottawa (remember, the border blockades were pretty much dealt with by the time Trudeau decided to do anything other than slander) where the EA wasn’t used (G20 in Toronto, hockey riots, Occupy movement, “land defender” blockades, railroad blockades, tree occupations). I’ll say again, if Ottawa was facing an insurrection and seige, they were the worst ones ever! If it was so dangerous why were MPs allowed to attend Parliament, especially the women with the rape gangs that were roaming the land according to Bill Blair?

My main concern is that the bar is now so low for employing the EA future PMs will be less hesitant to use it. And in this case, it was never actually fully authorized (no Senate vote).

Sometimes peoples’ concerns aren’t always partisan, even if it’s easier to dismiss them as such.

Then again, all this is said by someone who is part of a fringe minority who holds unacceptable views and stands with people who wave swastikas, according to dear Justin.

None of those reached the levels of disruption this freedom convoy did, got the international attention it did, and got the attention of POTUS. 

With regards to my first point... if the fear is that he is covering something up, what is he hiding in terms of the EA?  As someone pointed out... if there is no fire to put out, why call in a bunch of fire trucks?    You're asking what occurred and why....   We already know that. It was outlined and explained. So beyond what was outlined and explained... what needs to be investigated? 

I’m honestly not sure how much international attention the other incidents received, but for me that’s a non-issue. The Act is meant to address moments of national crisis, both domestic and international.

As for a review of the use of the Act, it’s required by law in the Act itself, and please forgive me if I refuse to accept the government’s version of events at face value.

I’m also still waiting for Trudeau to apologize to the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors for saying she (Melissa Lantsman and the CPC generally) stands with people who wave swastikas. Fortunately for me, I’ve stopped expecting any level of decency from this PM.

It was very telling to me this weekend talking with my nephews visiting from Ottawa (they’re not downtown). I asked what they thought about the convoy and was told it was terrible. When I probed a bit to see how they were directly affected, it became clear they weren’t directly bothered at all. Clearly their parents had told them how to feel about it.
    I’d seen clips of the Croatian MEP’s lambasting of Trudeau, but the applause at the end of the woman’s speech was telling as well.

I did laugh during Trudeau’s speech when he raised the spectre of the trucker convoy as a threat to democracy, while not that far away an actual threat to democracy is playing out in the Ukraine. If we had been serious about preventing what’s happening there we should have been enacting sanctions as the military buildup was occurring, but in the 3 weeks prior Trudeau was nowhere to be seen (except by zoom from an undisclosed location) until he used the nuclear option to break up a primarily peaceful protest.
    It's all about context. it is equally absurd, if not more so, that these truckers were calling themselves "freedom fighters" while the real freedom fighters were family men and women losing their lives protecting their homes. 

there can be threats to democracy large and small. 

I also find it odd that people keep harping on "trudeau is in hiding". he wasn't in hiding. his son had covid so he was isolating with him. plus there were security concerns about the convoy. this is normal security protocol for a head of state. if you recall, there was a nutjob that in 2020 rammed his vehicle through the gates of the PM's residence. take into account that this was one guy. now you have thousands of semi trucks, some of them nutjobs. I don't blame him at all for being moved. 
    It reads like you’re doing some profiling, which I’ve heard we’re not supposed to do (at least when it comes to minorities I suppose. Oh wait, these people were/are a “fringe minority”.).

If the threat was so dire as to force the PM to an undisclosed location, why were all the other MPs allowed to pass through and even mingle with the protesters? It’s a question that was put to Mendicino several times in the transcript I posted, with nothing approaching a satisfactory answer.

It’s cute how many outlets now refer to the protesters as part of the “so-called Freedom Convoy”. I think I’ll start referring to all protesters for all causes as “so-called” since there will pretty much always be someone who disagrees. Good for the goose is good for the gander after all.

how am I profiling? in every gathering of thousands, regardless of politics, there's going to be a few nuts. are you seriously saying 100% of the convoy was peaceful, fun loving pacifists?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    https://youtu.be/F_zQe4pCk30

Guess he's still waiting for JT's apology.  Lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    how am I profiling? in every gathering of thousands, regardless of politics, there's going to be a few nuts. are you seriously saying 100% of the convoy was peaceful, fun loving pacifists?
    You took an isolated incident and applied to an unrelated group. And no, I’m not saying all the protesters were angels, just like every protest pretty much ever, as you said. In virtually all protests extreme statements are made (whether or not we agree), but I’ve never seen it be such a concern until this group, who, let’s be honest, many have felt quite comfortable looking down their noses at for a variety of reasons, encouraged by the PM’s own words. Back to your example, was any attempt made (in Ottawa) to drive trucks into buildings or people? No.

Again, if the situation was so unsafe then MPs (and citizens) should never have been allowed to walk through the demonstrations. My blame falls squarely on the local police force who essentially gave up before the convoy ever arrived.  We saw other jurisdictions manage the satellite convoys relatively smoothly and peacefully, it really seemed like when the authorities engaged directly with the participants progress was possible, a tactic I’m not sure was even attempted in the nation’s capital.

If someone could provide proof of an arsenal on site in Ottawa that would sway my opinion, but I’m quite sure we all would’ve heard about it on the front page (unlike the results of the arson investigation I posted above that needed to be searched out).

Nami said:

I watched that entire video. what exactly is the point? the police chief never confirmed no firearms were found. he confirmed no charges have been laid. that's it. I'm guessing that means he's not going to comment on any on-going investigations, which is normal protocol.

and then he goes on to complain about the media? laughable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Guess I should’ve watched the video before my last post, since the answer about weapons seems to be a definite maybe? A month later if charges haven’t been laid, I’m still leaning towards no.

Nami said:

I watched that entire video. what exactly is the point? the police chief never confirmed no firearms were found. he confirmed no charges have been laid. that's it. I'm guessing that means he's not going to comment on any on-going investigations, which is normal protocol.

Will there be consequences to the Star journalist and Minister Miller if it’s found there were no weapons? Doubtful these days, I’ll refer back to Mendicino’s comments on the arson.

Guess I should’ve watched the video before my last post, since the answer about weapons seems to be a definite maybe? A month later if charges haven’t been laid, I’m still leaning towards no.
    I lean that way as well, however, this guy (and so many fucking politicians do this, I'm guessing they think the public will fall for it) seems to think that this is some kind of "gotcha" moment, and it's.....zero. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I lean that way as well, however, this guy (and so many fucking politicians do this, I'm guessing they think the public will fall for it) seems to think that this is some kind of "gotcha" moment, and it's.....zero. 
    It was also odd how the questions were only about “loaded shotguns”, though that’s likely going back to the article that’s mentioned.

You took an isolated incident and applied to an unrelated group. And no, I’m not saying all the protesters were angels, just like every protest pretty much ever, as you said. In virtually all protests extreme statements are made (whether or not we agree), but I’ve never seen it be such a concern until this group, who, let’s be honest, many have felt quite comfortable looking down their noses at for a variety of reasons, encouraged by the PM’s own words. Back to your example, was any attempt made (in Ottawa) to drive trucks into buildings or people? No.

Again, if the situation was so unsafe then MPs (and citizens) should never have been allowed to walk through the demonstrations. My blame falls squarely on the local police force who essentially gave up before the convoy ever arrived.  We saw other jurisdictions manage the satellite convoys relatively smoothly and peacefully, it really seemed like when the authorities engaged directly with the participants progress was possible, a tactic I’m not sure was even attempted in the nation’s capital.

If someone could provide proof of an arsenal on site in Ottawa that would sway my opinion, but I’m quite sure we all would’ve heard about it on the front page (unlike the results of the arson investigation I posted above that needed to be searched out).
    you base security measures on potential, not if it's currently happening. 

Trudeau is clearly a lot different than average MP's when it comes to scrutiny and security. the other MP's wouldn't have been targeted like Trudeau (or any head of state would be) in such a highly volatile climate. 

It's odd to me that you require proof of the physical threat to justify threat mitigation measures to be taken. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

you base security measures on potential, not if it's currently happening. 

Trudeau is clearly a lot different than average MP's when it comes to scrutiny and security. the other MP's wouldn't have been targeted like Trudeau (or any head of state would be) in such a highly volatile climate. 

It's odd to me that you require proof of the physical threat to justify threat mitigation measures to be taken. 
    I clearly need to clarify due to my ham-handed posting, lol.

I actually have zero problem with the security measures taken around the PM. While he isn’t the average MP, at the end of the day he is a single MP. If he warranted protection and the threats were as extreme as has been suggested, then all I just ask is that ALL MPs be protected.

I’ll use the unfortunate example of January 6, where security worked (damn hard, in my opinion) to protect all legislators. Different situations, yes, but the convoy has been put forward as our version of that incident (I still see it referred to as an insurrection), so I’m comfortable drawing the parallel.

• ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    If we didn't take any security measures for Trudeau during this, I would have been shocked.

Regarding all of our politicians... they all blow.  Trudeau included. 

While I agree with a lot, but not all criticism of JT, it still doesn't change a couple undeniable facts:

He won three elections.  Only one was a blow out, true. But he still maintained his status for count em three elections. And that's AFTER three huge scandals that should have sunk most politicians. 
    While very, very greasy, he is a masterful politician. 
    He handled a 4 year Trump presidency brilliantly. 

Now.... for those who don't like him... and for those who downright hate the man...  I have a wild and crazy suggestion:  Try to win an election. 

5.8M voted CON.  5.5M voted LIB. 3M voted NDP. 800K voted PPC.  1.3 voted BQ. 400Kish voted green. 

Stop looking at the election and the Canadian population as one political mindset... but on the political spectrum.  My lack of knowledge of the BQ party aside....  you have 6.6M right leaning. 8.9M left leaning. 

That's a majority folks... and we can have this debate all day long, but to me... that quite frankly shows that in general, Canada as a nation is a left leaning people. This was discovered only 5 - 6 months ago. 

So if the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... the conservatives are insane. And the more right they start leaning... you're only going to get the same results. 

They have three years to try to do something that they seem completely incapable of doing.. .and that's convincing a guy like me to vote Conservative.  Traditional white conservative folks who are aging are going to to die off within three years. It's a fraction, but I believe it will matter.  Immigrants coming here who will be essentially replacing those older white folks who will have died will look at the Liberal and NDP parties and see their voting path forward. Not only from a policy standpoint, but on the fact that the parties are physically representing them. Diverse. Trudeau is very aware of this. He sees the shifting tides of the population. He sees progressive thinking. And he's capitalizing on it. To dumb this down a bit... for those who don't like 'wokeness' ... get used to being the losing party whining on the other side for a long time. 

The Cons could win my vote... quite easily to be honest if they start doing a handful of things.. .and stop doing a handful of things. Namely... stop blaming Trudeau for literally every problem in Canada. Stop acting like clowns by yelling and ringing bells in the House of Commons when people are talking. Stop trying to make me afraid of problems that don't exist. Stop playing the same game as Trudeau. If you think he's an ass because of how he type casted the freedom convoy, then don't do the same thing as he does. And don't EVER refer to progressive policies and thinking as 'Radical Left.' In general, start behaving better. If Trudeau is utterly classless... then start being the epitome of class and civility. How?  START calling out the 'F*ck Trudeau' idiots and the folks who fly the Canadian flag upside down as some sort of protest. Start distancing yourself from Trump, American Republican behaviour, Freedom Convoy clowns. Start explaining in enough detail not why or how Trudeau failed as a PM, but what you would have done differently.   They need to stop pandering to the PPC crowd, and start seeing Canada for what it is and not what a bunch of idiots think it ought to be. 

I follow Candice Bergen just like I followed O'Toole...  and the things these folks do and say and post about... and more importantly the comments from right leaning people blow my mind away. Utter stupidity, utter ignorance. 

If Trudeau supports offshore oil in Newfoundland and say a pipeline in the West (which he already did) .... consider it check-mate. (again) The far left environmental folks in green and NDP will scream foul play... but never enough to convince them to vote right. Jagmeet will be pissed off, but not enough to pull support because Trudeau will have given him dental care and pharma care which will be the pillars of Jagmeet trying to dethrone Trudeau in 2025.  Meanwhile.. he will have maintained his small amounts of support in the west, quieted his economic critics on the right, and gained support in the east. Small victories and status-quo. Then he keeps sprinkling his 'niceness dust' on progressive and social issues while he waits for the right to do anything that looks like the opposite and exploits it.  THAT's why he and his party focused so much on weapons, swastikas, and confederate flags during the freedom convoy.  We'll see how it plays out... but in Canadian politics.. he's genius.  Stop hating on him like a bunch of sore losers; beat him at his game. As Dalton from Road House would suggest... 'be nice.'  (sorry for the amount of words.) 

Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    Nami said:

There were no guns found during the clearing.

Pending investigation a month afterwards?  How can it be proven now they were onsite if at all?

The media was mentioned because "due to police insider,/informant",  there were loaded shot guns on site...then this story was further promoted by marc Miller...MP all prior to the EA 

So one has to question, was this rhetoric used to justify such?

https://youtu.be/I6iOxf4yCR4

Another good vid imo questioning the justice department.   Charter right suspension.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Regarding this EA debate... 

Understanding that if I'm correct and what JT did was because of US pressure.. which he understandably could NEVER admit... What again is the purpose of 'pinning' this on Trudeau? 

To draw a comparison... it's like he's being attacked for giving a false narrative such as "they have weapons of mass destruction" to justify an invasion and start a war. 

What I'm getting at...  is all of this talk to suggest that "well, he didn't NEED to do this" ... ok perhaps that's correct, but he did. And his reasoning is there. Like he had enough justification in my opinion to do this. If the problem is overreach here... and if the problem is that he 'violated Charter rights'  what the woman here is saying is correct. None. Not a single Charter right is guaranteed.  It's been argued that the vaccine passport violated Charter rights.. .and certainly the idea of a vaccine tax in Quebec was very much a  Charter violation.  Read Section 1 of said Charter. 

But where is the "He lied to go to war" moment here?  What was the end result of such  an egregious violation? Like is the huge problem here that he froze some bank accounts of people who were funding the freedom convoy?  OK... who?  Which citizens?  Are their accounts still frozen? 

Here's some other food for thought...  Did the police and Trudeau exercise restraint here?  Did they take their time? Did they begin and continue using non-violent means of putting this to an end? Is anyone honestly against that?  And if I may tap into your intellect here...  what do you think would have had a bigger political impact on Trudeau?  His opposition complaining about the EA or the perception that he was responsible for physically harming his citizens? 

These arguments baffle me.  He didn't need to do this... the police could have used their powers.  Sure.  Send a bunch of cops with riot gear and tear gas.  That's what you wanted?  

It's not like he came out publicly and said "I  don't care about your rights, this needs to end."  Over and over he pleaded for this convoy to stop. He pleaded for the illegal occupation to stop.  He said quite frankly he was not going to move an inch in his position regarding the vaccine mandate. Over and over he said he did not want to get the military involved.  Over and over he said he did not want to tell the police what to do. Over and over again he stated he wanted to follow and respect the Charter.  This guy showed more restraint than most leaders would have in his position. He gave this illegal freedom convoy every opportunity to end it.  He only fired up the EA after his meeting with Biden. So after all of this....  he is still somehow considered an authoritarian here? Is that what the Cons are actually trying to suggest?  Give me a break.  Have you considered the idea that if those idiots just listened to the police and left... we wouldn't be talking about this?  After a week.  Maybe after two weeks? But no... they stayed. They listened to their dumb-ass ring leaders who are racking up the criminal charges now and stayed. They listened to their dumb-ass social media echo chambers and thought they were so righteous. Well..... sorry, not sorry. They should have just left. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Nami said:
    Parksy said:

A bit more information on the people who spoke in opposition to Trudeau at the EU.

Trudeau faced harsh critics in the EU Parliament this week. Here's who launched the attacks | CBC News

A couple of highlights:

Mislav Kolakušić, whose speech in the assembly went viral on his Twitter feed, is a failed Croatian presidential candidate and is not affiliated with any political party in the European Parliament. He has aligned himself with anti-vaccine voices inside and outside of the assembly.

Reuters reported earlier this year that Kolakušić had accused French President Emmanuel Macron of "murdering citizens" through vaccine mandates and that he claimed "tens of thousands of" Europeans had died from vaccine side-effects during the pandemic.

And:

Both Anderson and Zimniok are members of the political party Alternative for Germany, described by the BBC as a far-right political party that employs rhetoric "tinged with Nazi overtones."

A German court ruled recently that the party is "a suspected threat to democracy" after an administrative court in Cologne found that there are "sufficient indications of anti-constitutional goals within the AfD."

Alternative for Germany is one of the national parties that fall under the Identity and Democracy group in the European Parliament. With 63 members from 10 countries, it is the fifth-largest group in the assembly.

Identity and Democracy is made up of domestic political parties opposed to the EU. They hold far-right positions on issues like immigration, EU membership and social welfare. The ID group includes France's Rassemblement National party, which was founded by Jean-Marie Le Pen.

Far right white supremacist anti-vaxxers? Personally, I would be happy to have those people opposed to my views. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited March 2022
    Ah yes CBC damage control after stating that he received a standing ovation at EU conference, with no mention at all of the 3 members calling him out. Romanian MEP Christian Terhes has called him out as well.

Also, seeing reports/various threads that the majority of  parliament left prior to his speech?  200 out of 705 MEPs are the numbers being thrown around.  The pics show little attendance....which could be the norm daily, hard to find info.

Edited to fix my comment on people walking out.  Tried to find info/video from parliament EU but nothing yet. 

Post edited by Nami on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    Nami said:
    Ah yes CBC damage control after stating that he received a standing ovation at EU conference, with no mention at all of the 3 members calling him out. Romanian MEP Christian Terhes has called him out as well.

Also, seeing reports/various threads that the majority of  parliament left prior to his speech?  200 out of 705 MEPs are the numbers being thrown around.  The pics show little attendance....which could be the norm daily, hard to find info.

Edited to fix my comment on people walking out.  Tried to find info/video from parliament EU but nothing yet. 

Why is the reception at the EU or the comments of some fringe players in Europe important to JT or Canadians in general?
    Nami said:

“Damage control”? Is what they said not true?

You put a surprising amount of stock in the views of white supremacists on what is important to democracy. 

Nami said:

You put a surprising amount of stock in the views of white supremacists on what is important to democracy. 

I'm pointing out the fact that when the CBC covered this initially, there was no mention of anyone calling JT out.  Now that news broke through independent outlets, the CBC had to run another story highlighting the MEPs political views.  

That was unnecessary.

edited March 2022
    A real tweet from the Premier of Alberta: 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Nami said:
    Nami said:

I'm pointing out the fact that when the CBC covered this initially, there was no mention of anyone calling JT out.  Now that news broke through independent outlets, the CBC had to run another story highlighting the MEPs political views.  

That was unnecessary.

I guess the difference is you see this as newsworthy and I don't, so what we view as "unnecessary" is quite different. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I still don't get our green policies here in Canada.  From best I can tell the only thing they've done is introduced the carbon tax.   And set goals of where we need to be 10, 20 years from now etc...

But aside from that, there doesn't seem to be any kind of place.  If people need to move to electric cars, what's the plan for:

1) Making More Electric Cars - Waitlists are already huge
    2) Generating Clean Energy to power the vehicles
    3) Creating a viable grid of which to charge the vehicles
    4) Upgrading the electricity grid across the country to handle the increased power consumption.

In the last election I remember reading the Libs had the best green platform, but aside from the Carbon tax I wasn't aware of anything they were trying to do.

Plus we're going to add 400,000 more people to the country every year.  I kind of doubt we can reduce our overall pollution faster than we can adjust for our constantly increasing population.

I wish I had another party to vote for lol.  I loathe the greens, conservatives, the liberals, and the ndp.

Stop introducing new programs. Focus on fixing the old ones, and how to keep us from turning the planet into a dumpster fire, and not cause the country to bankrupt in the process.

I feel like I'm center of the spectrum, but none of the parties exist there.  We have a right and 2 lefts.. sigh...
    Zod said:
    I still don't get our green policies here in Canada.  From best I can tell the only thing they've done is introduced the carbon tax.   And set goals of where we need to be 10, 20 years from now etc...

But aside from that, there doesn't seem to be any kind of place.  If people need to move to electric cars, what's the plan for:

4) Upgrading the electricity grid across the country to handle the increased power consumption.

In the last election I remember reading the Libs had the best green platform, but aside from the Carbon tax I wasn't aware of anything they were trying to do.

Plus we're going to add 400,000 more people to the country every year.  I kind of doubt we can reduce our overall pollution faster than we can adjust for our constantly increasing population.

I wish I had another party to vote for lol.  I loathe the greens, conservatives, the liberals, and the ndp.

Stop introducing new programs. Focus on fixing the old ones, and how to keep us from turning the planet into a dumpster fire, and not cause the country to bankrupt in the process.

I feel like I'm center of the spectrum, but none of the parties exist there.  We have a right and 2 lefts.. sigh...
    disagree. you can have progress while also fix up. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Zod said:

disagree. you can have progress while also fix up. 

can you provide an example of when this was done and worked by our government?  Health Care has been on a downward slide since the 90s, so I can't think of any near term examples of new programs that weren't introduced while old ones got worse.
    I think Trudeau is pretty optimistic about dropping our emissions by 40% in 8 years.   I don't think this can be done with only tax credits, extra taxes, and a limited amount of clean energy subsidies. 

I don't see how it gets done without massive changes to infrastructure.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say we miss that target.

Plus our population at 400k per year and increasing will be 10% higher then, that is now. 

Dude has lofty ambitions, but I don't see how those targets get hit.  I agree with him that change needs to happen, but given what happens when only 10% of the world oil supply is cutoff, it's pretty obvious the road to clean energy isn't going to be this easy :(
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12SvTtG-L0

I award him no points... and may god have mercy on his soul. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    authoritarian. such a crock of shit
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Another example of another conservative politician focusing not on convincing me to move because another house is much better and has better value. No, no.  Instead the focus is on convincing me that my house is presently haunted and I should be more afraid of the boogeyman in my closet. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016