Fender Amps?

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    Picked up a  Fender '57 Champ Reissue 5 watt amp.  I'm loving it thus far.  Perfect for just playing quietly at home (especially in an apartment).  It breaks at a volume level that won't hurt your ears but I've also used a Tube Screamer and sounds good.  The tone is great. 
    i looked at those. great sounding amps. i ended up with blues jr just because i wanted something a little louder than the champ. if i were in an apartment i would have gone with the champ. still may pick one up at some point.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Picked up a  Fender '57 Champ Reissue 5 watt amp.  I'm loving it thus far.  Perfect for just playing quietly at home (especially in an apartment).  It breaks at a volume level that won't hurt your ears but I've also used a Tube Screamer and sounds good.  The tone is great. 
    i looked at those. great sounding amps. i ended up with blues jr just because i wanted something a little louder than the champ. if i were in an apartment i would have gone with the champ. still may pick one up at some point.
    I pretty much had the same analysis you had. Blues Jr. would have been too loud for what I wanted for the apartment.

looked into buying a house so I could have a proper guitar setup but damn inventory is so low right now and it is a seller’s market. Went with the Champ to tied me over until I pull the trigger on a house.  Then it will be time to grab the ear plugs.
    I pretty much had the same analysis you had. Blues Jr. would have been too loud for what I wanted for the apartment.

looked into buying a house so I could have a proper guitar setup but damn inventory is so low right now and it is a seller’s market. Went with the Champ to tied me over until I pull the trigger on a house.  Then it will be time to grab the ear plugs.
    you can do what i am doing. rent a house. problem solved, lol.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

You have the answers.  

You have the answers.  
    haha keep that quiet!

Bought a Fender Bassman yesterday.  For an apartment.  I am jackass.  Laughable to look at it sitting next to the tiny Fender Champ.  More incentive to buy the house so I can use the Bassman.  Sounds awesome though even with the guitar volume turned way down.
    Bought a Fender Bassman yesterday.  For an apartment.  I am jackass.  Laughable to look at it sitting next to the tiny Fender Champ.  More incentive to buy the house so I can use the Bassman.  Sounds awesome though even with the guitar volume turned way down.
    those are great amps. same circuit that the plexi is based on. there is a reason marshall stole that circuit back in the 60s. 

thought about getting the zvex 59 sound pedal. it is supposed to be a 59 bassman in a box. it is supposed to be a pretty close approximation of that tone. would love to hear it through my blues jr. 

hopefully you get to crank it up!

those are great amps. same circuit that the plexi is based on. there is a reason marshall stole that circuit back in the 60s. 

thought about getting the zvex 59 sound pedal. it is supposed to be a 59 bassman in a box. it is supposed to be a pretty close approximation of that tone. would love to hear it through my blues jr. 

Your plan sounds more practical.  I might get ten minutes a week to turn it up.  

Your plan sounds more practical.  I might get ten minutes a week to turn it up.  
    oh man, 10 minutes is not enough! 

i have watched some videos on that pedal but no stores around here have it. would hate to buy it, hate it, and then try to sell it to someone else, lol.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Originally a 68 Drip Edge. Found in a barn left to the ravages for presumably decades. Original cab, speaker, reverb tank and various small parts were wrecked, but all the transformers and most of the mojo parts were intact. Not much beyond a typical vintage refurbish as far as the electronics and the cab was one that had been swapped back and forth between a between buddies. All the pots and jacks cleaned up. Sounds incredible. The reverb is ungodly with the replacement tank.Pics of original shape to follow. 

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    DewieCox said:

Cool find! One of the classic amps of all time.

Did you do the restoration yourself?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    Nah, wish I had the ability. Would love to put together a kit at some point but troubleshooting and that sort of thing is beyond my skill and patience. I was shocked the amp was as salvageable as it was and nothing really major as far as functionality but I would’ve pulled my hair out. 
    DewieCox said:
    Nah, wish I had the ability. Would love to put together a kit at some point but troubleshooting and that sort of thing is beyond my skill and patience. I was shocked the amp was as salvageable as it was and nothing really major as far as functionality but I would’ve pulled my hair out. 
    what an amazing find!! so glad you were able to salvage it.

i discovered the milkman creamer 20 last night. it is based off of the old princeton, but the milkman stuff is crazy expensive. i hate it that i am so open to trying new amps, lol.

Have any of you guys with Hot Rod Deluxe or Hot Rod Deville amps had any trouble with the reverb not working?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    dudeman said:
    Have any of you guys with Hot Rod Deluxe or Hot Rod Deville amps had any trouble with the reverb not working?
    I have a HRDeluxe and haven't noticed any issues with the reverb since I bought it, which was about 14 years or so ago.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    dudeman said:
    I have a HRDeluxe and haven't noticed any issues with the reverb since I bought it, which was about 14 years or so ago.
    Good deal! They are cool amps but I've had one Deluxe and two Devilles on my bench in the last month for reverb issues. 

Funny how things come in groups. 
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    Fender Mustang Micro

My new Fender Amp.
    Fender Mustang Micro

My new Fender Amp.
    That thing is pretty cool.  I got one to take to work with me when I want to take a 5 minute break nights/weekends.
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    Fender Mustang Micro

My new Fender Amp.
    That thing is pretty cool.  I got one to take to work with me when I want to take a 5 minute break nights/weekends.
    I haven't tried mine yet, I just got it today. I got it for those late night moments of inspiration when you want to play, but it's too late to plug in and rip due to neighbors, wife etc.

Fender Mustang Micro

My new Fender Amp.
    I haven't tried mine yet, I just got it today. I got it for those late night moments of inspiration when you want to play, but it's too late to plug in and rip due to neighbors, wife etc.

I think it is great.  Lots of different amp and effects choices.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    In regards to the Mustang Micro, it can play into headphones, but can you play direct into a mixer to monitors thru it?  Thus avoiding initial cost of buying a amp / speaker / microphone setup in a home studio?

Looks like there is a USB-C out and the manual notes that it is used for recording, but doesn't really go into any detail after that.  What additional gear would be required to play / record into a mixer? 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Jason P said:
    In regards to the Mustang Micro, it can play into headphones, but can you play direct into a mixer to monitors thru it?  Thus avoiding initial cost of buying a amp / speaker / microphone setup in a home studio?

Looks like there is a USB-C out and the manual notes that it is used for recording, but doesn't really go into any detail after that.  What additional gear would be required to play / record into a mixer? 
    From Sweetwater's description: "What's also unique is that the Mustang Micro is itself a USB-C interface. This feature lets you capture those hard-worked stereo guitar tones in the studio without any special cables and without incurring any loss in quality."

Reviews mention recording as well.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    dankind said:
    Jason P said:

From Sweetwater's description: "What's also unique is that the Mustang Micro is itself a USB-C interface. This feature lets you capture those hard-worked stereo guitar tones in the studio without any special cables and without incurring any loss in quality."

Reviews mention recording as well.

I think I may have to plunk down 99 dollars on one of these and try it out ... still need to research.  I saw a video where it looked like the headphone out of the Mustang Micro was running to converted to a 1/4" to an audio interface ... i'm hoping my live trak L-12 fits that bill. 

I need to do a lot more research on electric guitar setups.  I lost all but one (the one I played the least) a few years back.  I have a new studio setup, but have invested no time or money into electric guitars.  As I noted earlier, this could have the potential to save a $1000's in initial investment of amps and microphones.

At the very least it looks like a pretty cool for it's primary purpose ... playing thru headphones
  • KswheelerKswheeler Philadelphia Posts: 72
    Just picked this mint 90’s tweed bronco up little thing kicks for SS
    i recently have not been loving by blues junior as much. there is a guitar center that is about 40 minutes from here that has a used fender princeton reverb in bordeaux wine tolex and wheat grill cover. they come with 12 inch speakers instead of 10 inch. there are not a lot of quality youtube videos or sound demos online so i may go out there and take a look at it. i think i will take my blues jr as trade bait to put towards it in the event that i like it and want to buy it.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588

It's gonna sound pretty and clean. I have an early 70s Princeton Reverb that I absolutely love. All clean then you just get it dirty with all kinds of pedals.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594

Now, why did I have to go and look at this thread, lol!  I was finally getting ready to go for the Supro Delta King 10 (or maybe 12) and then saw this about the '57 Champ reissue and remembered that was another contender.

Decisions, decisions.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

It’ll sound fantastic. In the event it doesn’t, a different speaker should do the trick.