The Beatles

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited November 2021
    nicknyr15 said:
    I absolutely cannot wait for this. 
    I agree. I am going through their whole catalog this holiday weekend in order. Watch this on Disney+, pretty much making this a "Beatles" Thanksgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auta2lagtw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UocEGvQ10OE
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    MedozK said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I absolutely cannot wait for this. 
    I agree. I am going through their whole catalog this holiday weekend in order. Watch this on Disney+, pretty much making this a "Beatles" Thanksgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auta2lagtw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UocEGvQ10OE
    Same here! 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Who's watching this? Unbelievable stuff.

I'm just wrapping up episode 1 but I'm already blown away. Interesting to see them introducing songs that eventually ended up on solo albums too.

Interesting thing to keep in mind is that about a month after these sessions were recorded they started recording Abby Road which was released before Let it Be.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    Who's watching this? Unbelievable stuff.

I'm just wrapping up episode 1 but I'm already blown away. Interesting to see them introducing songs that eventually ended up on solo albums too.

Interesting thing to keep in mind is that about a month after these sessions were recorded they started recording Abby Road which was released before Let it Be.
    Finished yesterday and loved every second. Such a treat for fans and so many highlight moments it's hard to remember them all. The rooftop concert was just brilliant. Loved when Paul saw the police and went WOO and then did a little dance. Badass George turning his amp back on. Also noticed at the end that John pulled something out of his pocket and gave it to Yoko before whispering in her ear. Contraband?!?. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I watch it and felt two different things about it.  It was amazing to see them in the studio, and all this footage in high quality video and audio from an era where that wasn't common place.  To use up that much film on the project, that must of been pretty rare back then.   I really enjoyed seeing them in the studio and the rooftop concern, and seeing footage of the Beatles that look so good (most footage on TV is from their earlier career when they still went out on public, and its super crappy quality).

I did at times find it hard to watch that much raw studio footage in a row, but I guess that's the advantage of streaming.  You can pause and resume whenever you want :)
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Phenomenal docuseries
    Zod said:
    I watch it and felt two different things about it.  It was amazing to see them in the studio, and all this footage in high quality video and audio from an era where that wasn't common place.  To use up that much film on the project, that must of been pretty rare back then.   I really enjoyed seeing them in the studio and the rooftop concern, and seeing footage of the Beatles that look so good (most footage on TV is from their earlier career when they still went out on public, and its super crappy quality).

I did at times find it hard to watch that much raw studio footage in a row, but I guess that's the advantage of streaming.  You can pause and resume whenever you want :)
    It works well watching 2-3 “days” at a time. But it’s incredible. I actually teared up watching Paul do Let It Be for the first time. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I caught the first 15 minutes of episode 1 before leaving out of town last week, haven't been back yet, but will when the semester ends in a few weeks. Did they reissue an deluxe set of Let It Be? Anyone have it? 
    www.cluthelee.com
    nicknyr15 said:
    Zod said:

It works well watching 2-3 “days” at a time. But it’s incredible. I actually teared up watching Paul do Let It Be for the first time. 
    yeah that was crazy....and hearing George present Something was pretty amazing

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Damn, I need to see this. Wish someone else in my family were huge Beatles fans so we could nerd out.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Just found out that George Harrison was 27 when the Beatles broke up, and none of them were over 30. That's just crazy.
    The English are so damn polite when they argue. I'm right at the part where Harrison quits the band and they do this weird freak out with Yoko screeching into a microphone. Did they drop some acid post-lunch or what?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I have episode 3 to watch yet, will do that tonight. I do agree with Zod that it’s a little taxing to sit and watch that much consecutive studio footage. I think breaking it up into 6 or 7 parts may have been better. But I’m not sure that Peter Jackson knows how to make a normal length cinematic experience.

However, I am still thoroughly enjoying these and I’m not even a huge The Beatles fan. I liked them when I was younger, mostly the early pop stuff, and never really got into the later stuff. But I’m hoping this opens a door for me. I mean, these guys are absolute Icons with a capital I. 

The fact that this footage even exists is mind-blowing. Let alone that we, the public, get to view it in our living rooms. I owe it to myself to watch rock history. For the fans whom absolutely love The Beatles, this must be the penultimate time-travel! 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    eddiec said:
    Just found out that George Harrison was 27 when the Beatles broke up, and none of them were over 30. That's just crazy.
    Hard to believe the Beatles released so much good music in only eight years!

I love watching a musical process unfold. Pretty amazing to see the genesis of these songs and real music genius at work. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    eddiec said:
    Hard to believe the Beatles released so much good music in only eight years!

The other thing that occurs to me is they complete stopped touring.   PJ struggled with the fame and pulled from from media/music videos etc.   Beatles completely stopped touring and went to studio albums only.

How crazy of a move is that.  How much was PJ inspired from it when they decided to exert more control when their game spiraled out of control in the early years.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    The English are so damn polite when they argue. I'm right at the part where Harrison quits the band and they do this weird freak out with Yoko screeching into a microphone. Did they drop some acid post-lunch or what?
    My wife and I said the same thing. I'm assuming it was made to look like that with editing. 

We're in the same spot (we finished the first episode last night). Really good. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • LET IT BE IS THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER MADE
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I got out my Rubber Soul and Revolver albums saturday night...drank bourbon and cranked it.

I realized that I didn't have Sgt Pepper and the White album on vinyl.  Need to correct that.

Those are all amazing albums

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    imagine in 30 years if someone released a PJ version of this. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LET IT BE IS THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER MADE
    Close to it probably. It is my favorite of theirs. 

This is a good series. I am in the middle of the last episode. The George leaving bit was interesting because it felt like nothing that bad had happened and bam he was out. But I guess even on film you can’t get the full picture of how someone is feeling during the process. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Also John’s demeanor seemed to do a full 180 when they moved to the studio compared to the movie set. From low key fun times  
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • jeff's right. it was never about the the red greatest hits cd...i never got into that old stuff a lot...
    it's all about the blue one....and for me it all happened when they started smoking herb !
    LET IT BE IS THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER MADE

I really like the alternate version of Let it Be that came out about 20 years ago called Let it Be Naked.  That's probably my favourite thing the Beatles ever put out.
    Zod said:

I really like the alternate version of Let it Be that came out about 20 years ago called Let it Be Naked.  That's probably my favourite thing the Beatles ever put out.
    Absolutely 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    I got out my Rubber Soul and Revolver albums saturday night...drank bourbon and cranked it.

I realized that I didn't have Sgt Pepper and the White album on vinyl.  Need to correct that.

Those are all amazing albums
    Four of the greatest all time right there. White Album is my personal favourite. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Oh that’s crazy talk. I don’t see how it’s even a top 5 Beatles album.
    DewieCox said:
    Oh that’s crazy talk. I don’t see how it’s even a top 5 Beatles album.
    It’s easily a top 5 Beatles for me. Especially the naked version.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Zod said:

got it for my dad for xmas one year....he hated it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD