Capitalism Sucks.

Comments

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 280
    This seems so straightforward to me. If you think it's worth it, go. If you think it isn't, pass. Not one person on this thread - NOT ONE PERSON - knows the economics of touring in 2021 and how much it costs to stage a great show and compensate the band and crew. And, frankly, even if we did, it's Ed's prerogative to charge what he pleases, just like it's your choice to decide how much value is in the experience. But there are so many other (far more important) things to focus energy on right now, for God's sake. Move on.
    09/04/93 * 07/19/98 * 11/05/00 * 05/30/03 * 09/02/05 * 09/04/05 * 09/05/05 * 09/07/05 * 07/21/06 * 07/22/06 * 04/02/08 (eV) * 04/03/08 (eV) * 09/21/09 * 09/22/09 * 09/25/09 * 07/15/11 (eV) * 09/25/11 * 12/04/13 * 08/10/18 * 05/04/24 * 05/06/24
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    edited December 2021
    The private plane thing is a bit silly. If you’ve been to an EV solo show when he is trying to talk in a quiet moment some dudes will shout out ‘I love you’. People wait after his show for hours just to see him leave a venue. People name their kids/dog after him. People dissect everything he says. 
    Point being is I can’t see him getting on a public plane and having an easy journey without being disturbed the whole way.

plus we don’t know if/how he offloads the carbon footprint
    Post edited by Force Of Nature on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    The private plane thing is a bit silly. If you’ve been to an EV solo show when he is trying to talk in a quiet moment some dudes will shout out ‘I love you’. People wait after his show for hours just to see him leave a venue. People name their kids/dog after him. People dissect everything he says. 
    Point being is I can’t see him getting on a public plane and having an easy journey without being disturbed the whole way.
    excellent point. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    $475 for a pair of tickets to a night of getting shushed by they guy onstage. Rock on. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Its like that house on the beach in Hawaii I want. Wait how much? THIS IS OUTRAGOUS! Hawaii sucks. Its all your fault. What about ME???
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JimmyV said:
    $475 for a pair of tickets to a night of getting shushed by they guy onstage. Rock on. 
    if a bunch of grown ass adults I've never met were shouting out their undying love for me, I'd take every opportunity to tell them to STFU too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JimmyV said:
    if a bunch of grown ass adults I've never met were shouting out their undying love for me, I'd take every opportunity to tell them to STFU too. 
    Ok

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    JimmyV said:

I'll bet Eddie learned his lesson last time around

Hopefully for $200, people will pipe down  -  Actually pay attention and listen to the performance

Like sugar, the guests are so refined
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    Actually, to be fair, Ed has historically been more upset with people having their phones out at his theater shows than about them making noise. But back in 2008 it did almost feel like we were expected to sit on our hands. 

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I enjoyed the first Vancouver 2008 show so much that the heckling didn't really mess with my overall enjoyment of the show.  It was so good.
    Zod said:
    I enjoyed the first Vancouver 2008 show so much that the heckling didn't really mess with my overall enjoyment of the show.  It was so good.
    Totally agree. The opera house in Boston was incredible. 

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    :rofl:   Isn’t this the same fan base that pays hundreds and sometimes thousands for 1 poster or 1 copy of something on vinyl?  

I guarantee people will pay more than $250 for the AP posters for these shows. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    RyGuy said:
    This seems so straightforward to me. If you think it's worth it, go. If you think it isn't, pass. Not one person on this thread - NOT ONE PERSON - knows the economics of touring in 2021 and how much it costs to stage a great show and compensate the band and crew. And, frankly, even if we did, it's Ed's prerogative to charge what he pleases, just like it's your choice to decide how much value is in the experience. But there are so many other (far more important) things to focus energy on right now, for God's sake. Move on.

The economics are rough and Ed has every right to charge what he thinks is a fair price. But isn’t the purpose of a forum for fans to express and exchange ideas? Personally I’ve been waiting 30 years to see what happens when a PJ related act charges what the other major artists charge, so I find this thread very interesting. Ed became famous using his words sharply and with inspiration to express himself, so lets please let the fans have at it also.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Again. I understand the prices are off putting. But I’ve literally watched thousands of you walk away with $1000 of STUFF. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Again. I understand the prices are off putting. But I’ve literally watched thousands of you walk away with $1000 of STUFF. 
    Yeah, but that's done so they can put it back on to ebay and resell it for crazy amounts of $$$.
    That's a whole lotta profit for 0 hours worked. Why would you not?

Anyway let's get back on topic...Ed should not be charging a mark-to-market premium for his 2-3 hours of work! He's a big meany!

350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think many of you throughout these threads have made compelling arguments as to why these prices may not be as bad as they initially look, but there is no way I would ever pay these prices for Ed and his side band. It's not Pearl Jam. It's Ed and a lesser band. 
    The reality is that Ed is the band.  I ve seen pj minus Ed (totd) and it wasn’t nearly as good.  You put Ed with any group of musicians and it is going to be a great show. 
      There is no Pearl Jam without Mike McCready's guitar, IMO. 

Truth

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    mcgruff10 said:
    apirk72 said:
    That all makes sense demitris but 26 years ago he spoke out against high ticket prices and we have to hold musicians to their words, no matter what changes in their industry.  You? Me? Politicians? Nah but musicians yes.
    I am still not over Ian taking prices off the Dischord record covers, what a sellout.
    26 years ago I swore that I was marrying my high school sweetheart.  Point being, 26 years is an eternity, people change.  
    Yeah people change. But isn't this changing for the worse? Eddie seems to have gone from "I want to share my music with everyone at an affordable price" to "I can take these idiots for all they're worth." 

I posted this in the EV solo tour thread. But it's worth repeating. Here's Ed in Spin Magazine in 1995 talking about how it's a "frightening thought" to change your audience by overpricing. 

In that same interview, he criticizes the band "Spin Doctors" for having their tour sponsored by VANS. Remember the giant Verizon screens for PJ's 2008 tour? Or Backspacer being exclusive to Target stores? I guess when your records are flying off the shelves like they were in 1995, you can look down your nose at lesser bands looking for ways to make some money. 
    I can give him a certain amount of slack for things he said 25 or so years ago, especially considering how different the industry / business model has been these last 20 years, even before COVID... 

But charging these prices on the heels of releasing "The Haves" is a bit much. 
    We do realize The Haves is a love song right? Maybe not the best title to covey that (the haves, have not a clue) but it’s not about wealth/power.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Asking people to pay these types of prices while people are still holding on to tickets for a PJ tour that still hasn't been rescheduled yet...not cool.
    Clearly EV isn’t the hold up with COVID indoor venue concerns. It’s one of the other 4.
    Stone lol
    I for one am glad they are not rushing to do indoor venues specially since anyone can get a vaccine card! The band wants to be sure the venues are equipped with digital scanning for Covid cards on your phones so the anti vaccine idiots can be weeded out, I say good on them I’ve been to two small venue shows this past summer both venues were scanning for Covid proof not asking for paper cards..
    Not everyone owns a smart phone is there a way to get a qr code to assuage others fears that I may have a fraudulent vax card?
    Nobody scans the virtual vax cards. They just look at them. And often you can just flash it.

NY area is the only area I know that has the virtual vax cards. This will not be a reality for the tour.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think many of you throughout these threads have made compelling arguments as to why these prices may not be as bad as they initially look, but there is no way I would ever pay these prices for Ed and his side band. It's not Pearl Jam. It's Ed and a lesser band. 
    The reality is that Ed is the band.  I ve seen pj minus Ed (totd) and it wasn’t nearly as good.  
    Weird comparison. 
    Why?  I d rather see Ed with a backing band than Pearl Jam with another singer.  
    Id rather see Neil Jam than EV and the Earthlings and I would probably easily pay 250 or more per ticket.
    Yeah different strokes. No way I’d pay for Neil.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    JimmyV said:
    Anyone know offhand how much Trey Anastasio's tickets are when he tours with the Trey Anastasio Band? That might be the perfect apples to apples comparison. 

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    The reality is that Ed is the band.  I ve seen pj minus Ed (totd) and it wasn’t nearly as good.  
    Weird comparison. 
    Id rather see Neil Jam than EV and the Earthlings and I would probably easily pay 250 or more per ticket.
    Who would say something like that
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Oh.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Weird comparison. 
    Who would say something like that
    a truly terrible person  =) JK
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    They're expensive. I'm not going. That being said, I've seen Pearl Jam at Sea.Hear.Now and next year in Quebec, for fair prices.

Simple that you don't have to go - I think the thread title is ridiculous in that the capitalism ire should be directed at folks like the CEOs of companies worth millions and millions who consistently make the wealth gap worse, and provide no value to the world. Pearl Jam has given so much to all of us over the years with their music alone. 
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II

edited December 2021
    They're expensive. I'm not going. That being said, I've seen Pearl Jam at Sea.Hear.Now and next year in Quebec, for fair prices.

Simple that you don't have to go - I think the thread title is ridiculous in that the capitalism ire should be directed at folks like the CEOs of companies worth millions and millions who consistently make the wealth gap worse, and provide no value to the world. Pearl Jam has given so much to all of us over the years with their music alone. 
    Agree with this. My concerns aren't really about capitalism and I don't believe it sucks. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• I see it being the best $200 I'll spend all year. These guys aren't getting any younger. One of these days the shows will stop and I'll look back and kick myself for not going to more.

To each their own though. 
    Soul Glo said:
    I see it being the best $200 I'll spend all year. These guys aren't getting any younger. One of these days the shows will stop and I'll look back and kick myself for not going to more.

To each their own though. 
    Yup. Prices are high but I didn’t hesitate. One day it will be over.

Think of the people who thought they would catch ToTD “next time”.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Does the artist or venue set the ticket price? 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Depends on the terms between the promoter/venue/artists management. It varies.