Capitalism Sucks.

191011121315»

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,565
    tenor guitar.

He played a 4 string tenor guitar at Ohana, but it looked different than what's in the pic.
  • rrivers said:
    Complaining is a problem now? You may want to mention that to Eddie.
    Well said!  I can't believe he's still singing about the "haves"!  The haves really don't have a clue, right Ed?!  :)

He’s been a have since the release of ten. It’s not a new development.  Not sure what ticket prices today have to do with it.

concert prices cannot be the standard if someone has a clue about the plight of others or if they are authentic or whatever. He’s the same rich dude today as the rich dude of the past, only older

all the criticisms are fair. I just struggle to get the connection to concert prices. He probably made way more selling ten or vs at pennies per album than he is making off this tour.  Making a ton of money in small increments from more people isn’t any different than making money off a smaller group of people in larger increments.  It’s a lot of money either way
  • I'd rather have 7 billion people all agree that I'm awesome and give me a $1 each, than have 7,000 questionable interests each give me $1M.  But it's hard to get that many people to agree on anything.  Except maybe McDonald's or Coca-Cola.  Pearl Jam aren't exactly as popular with the masses as they once were.  Guess that's why they're not playing Soldier Field and charging $20.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,039
    ddeschler said:
    I'd rather have 7 billion people all agree that I'm awesome and give me a $1 each, than have 7,000 questionable interests each give me $1M.  But it's hard to get that many people to agree on anything.  Except maybe McDonald's or Coca-Cola.  Pearl Jam aren't exactly as popular with the masses as they once were.  Guess that's why they're not playing Soldier Field and charging $20.
    I don't think anyone playing Soldier field will be charging $20
    I miss igotid88
    I thought the haves was a love song 
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    I thought that too. That’s what makes quoting those lyrics weird. It’s been referenced a lot in numerous threads in this context though 

Doesn’t give me a money vibe at all. Gives me a sappy cheesy vibe 
  • smile6680 said:
    pjl44 said:
    The real problem is when a band hits a certain level of popularity they inevitably have to deal with some contingent of petulant, entitled obsessives
    I agree. This forum has always been that way. The previous version of this forum(synergy if I remember correctly) seemed to be a never ending contest of who was the biggest fan. 
    It’s like one of those places you like to visit. Then once you are there, you realize you’d never want to live here. 

Love the band. Visiting the forum reminds me I’m just a fan. Not a raving lunatic fanatic. 
    ddeschler said:
    I'd rather have 7 billion people all agree that I'm awesome and give me a $1 each, than have 7,000 questionable interests each give me $1M.  But it's hard to get that many people to agree on anything.  Except maybe McDonald's or Coca-Cola.  Pearl Jam aren't exactly as popular with the masses as they once were.  Guess that's why they're not playing Soldier Field and charging $20.

They would sell out Soldier Field at $20 bucks a ticket in 53 seconds.
    igotid88 said:

It is. But dope brained trolls didn't bother to listen.
  • igotid88 said:

Yeah his love of MONEY!

I'm kidding. I don't even know the lyrics. I tried listening to the song once and it, but was too bored by it to bother with it again. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • They would sell out Soldier Field at $20 bucks a ticket in 53 seconds.
    I'm sure they would.  As a thought experiment: why don't they play Soldier Field sometime, price tickets $50?  They'd make more $ at 60,000 x $50 than an arena show 15,000 x $100, possibly make some new fans, and if they get any cut of the concessions (I don't know if they do or not), they'd make more from additional beer sales.  Maybe they have run models, and the ballpark is the best they have come up with from their standpoint?
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    ddeschler said:
    Yet they sold out wrigley x2 in 2016 and 2018. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited December 2021
    igotid88 said:

So what haves is he referring to? 
     "But we've got enough
    All of the haves, they have not
    Not got half of what we got"

Looks like he is making a direct comparison to The Haves(as in the wealthy) to me, regardless of it's context on a love song.  It reads as if love is more important than being a 'Have' or something like that to me.  So when people bring up insane ticket prices in the context of an artist that has railed against The Haves and continues to, while trying to keep his music accessible to fans, I completely understand it.  I also understand how a more elementary reading of the lyrics would get the "its just a love song" reaction from others.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited December 2021
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:

So what haves is he referring to? 
     "But we've got enough
    All of the haves, they have not
    Not got half of what we got"

Looks like he is making a direct comparison to The Haves(as in the wealthy) to me, regardless of it's context on a love song.  It reads as if love is more important than being a 'Have' or something like that to me.  So when people bring up insane ticket prices in the context of an artist that has railed against The Haves and continues to, while trying to keep his music accessible to fans, I completely understand it.  I also understand how a more elementary reading of the lyrics would get the "its just a love song" reaction from others.
    In a relationship… the haves are people with a partner. They think they have everything but they don’t have half of what he has because they don’t have her?

It’s kind of a way to say his partner is awesome.  They (haves) want more because it’s somehow lacking (relationship wise).

that’s sort of how I interpret it 

also haves as in half. He makes a Siamese twin reference. Two halves being a whole. A have could be a half,  as in one person alone.  
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    but two "halfs" are halves. not haves. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• but two "halfs" are halves. not haves. 
    Just saying the printed lyrics are not always straightforward.  Being vague on purpose is kind of his thing.  

Same song can mean vastly different things to different people
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    good grief
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,170
    good grief
    😂

And to think we’re fighting over tickets to hear it live. 😆
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 338
    Platinum tickets are still available starting at $699. You don't have to fight a goddamn thing for those.
  • ddeschler said:
    They would sell out Soldier Field at $20 bucks a ticket in 53 seconds.
    I'm sure they would.  As a thought experiment: why don't they play Soldier Field sometime, price tickets $50?  They'd make more $ at 60,000 x $50 than an arena show 15,000 x $100, possibly make some new fans, and if they get any cut of the concessions (I don't know if they do or not), they'd make more from additional beer sales.  Maybe they have run models, and the ballpark is the best they have come up with from their standpoint?
    Pearl Jam doesn’t get all of the $20 (or $50) or whatever.  There’s promotions, the cost of security, the venue gets a cut.  When their tickets were priced at $20 in the 90s, their cut of ticket sales was between $3-$4.  TM was making more than the band in some cases.  Ever wonder why t-shirt prices at shows are $30 or more?  That’s the only way bands can make money selling shirts…because outside entities get their cut of that too.  

They would lose a ton of money selling $20 tickets at Soldier Field.  Concert economics, baby.  
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,339
    $30 isn’t a high price for a shirt these days. Just about any NFL, MLB or College tee is going to run you about the same. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Merch as the main source of income is true for bands playing clubs, but for PJ level groups, they get huge guarantees for shows. Though between multiple iterations of action figures and doilies and whatnot, the merch is certainly a thick layer of icing on that cake
    on2legs said:
    $30 isn’t a high price for a shirt these days. Just about any NFL, MLB or College tee is going to run you about the same. 
    $50 at the Genesis show I went to
    I miss igotid88
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    Bruce Springsteen likes Capitalism.  $500 mil for his catalog.  

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,339
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    $50 at the Genesis show I went to
    DMB tees are getting up there too.  And I paid $60 for a poster at his show this summer.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 737
    Get_Right said:

He was grossing $500k per night on Broadway while sleeping at home each night. There's a guy with the magic formula.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    kaw753 said:
    Get_Right said:

He was grossing $500k per night on Broadway while sleeping at home each night. There's a guy with the magic formula.
    Not sure what Billy Joel brings in, but he has sold out MSG 120+ times since he's been doing his residency and recently said something to the effect of "as long as they buy the tickets, I'll keep showing up."  Another guy with the magic formula enjoying capitalism.

• PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Get_Right said:

2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville