Capitalism Sucks.

145791015

Comments

  • ZodZod Posts: 8,724
    smile6680 said:
    Seems like $250 tickets are keeping a lot of whiney complainers out of the venue. Can't wait!
    If you are serious good post. If not, still a good post. This forum needs more differing views on topics.

    Just to be clear. 250$ is too much in my opinion. At least it's an environmentally friendly tour. Not a lot of fuel will be used to truck/fly Eddie and his equipment between venues. Oh wait.... 

    shh we don't talk about PJ or EV tours being small, and causing mega tonnes of fans to travel to cities they don't live in by planes, trains, boats, and automobiles.  The carbon foot print for a pearl jam show must be off the charts :)  A stadium show probably puts a hole in the ozone layer :)
  • Long Red said:
    Wild how expensive the tix are for the Ed solo shows. It's almost comical. Who the hell has an extra $500 laying around for a pair of concert tix? My sweet lord.
    why is he even charging at all? such a dick move, Ed.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 26,532
    edited December 2021
    Long Red said:
    Wild how expensive the tix are for the Ed solo shows. It's almost comical. Who the hell has an extra $500 laying around for a pair of concert tix? My sweet lord.
    why is he even charging at all? such a dick move, Ed.
    bla bla bla
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 26,532
    edited December 2021
    Zod said:
    smile6680 said:
    Seems like $250 tickets are keeping a lot of whiney complainers out of the venue. Can't wait!
    If you are serious good post. If not, still a good post. This forum needs more differing views on topics.

    Just to be clear. 250$ is too much in my opinion. At least it's an environmentally friendly tour. Not a lot of fuel will be used to truck/fly Eddie and his equipment between venues. Oh wait.... 

    shh we don't talk about PJ or EV tours being small, and causing mega tonnes of fans to travel to cities they don't live in by planes, trains, boats, and automobiles.  The carbon foot print for a pearl jam show must be off the charts :)  A stadium show probably puts a hole in the ozone layer :)
    "The new Greateful dead"

    HAS BACKFIRED



    NO CLIMATE CHANGE GOALS WILL BE REACHED

    BECAUSE OF ROCK N ROLL

    THE MUSIC OF SATAN
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 535
    edited December 2021
    Wanna know what also sucks? Entitlement. See a lot of that whenever shows are announced. Prices, tix, merch, etc etc. It’s a really gross side of being a fan of this band.
    How Is it entitlement to say $250/ticket is expensive? That’s what I am mostly seeing here. 

    I am not going due to living in Detroit and the Chicago show being a Wednesday. I am still allowed to gripe about ticket costs.

    I think the defenders of Ed are the funny ones. The simple solution is play bigger venues. This isn’t Ed and a guitar. This is a full on BAND. Don’t tell me this version of Ed solo doesn’t translate to an arena. 

    As to higher ticket prices to pay for the band. I think we are playing fast and loose with the rules here. The only big name is Chad smith. Josh is a great dude but is not the reason for high prices. Chris Chaney is cool, but do I think of him as the guy from Janes addiction. Come on? Those are lame excuses.

    why is it so hard to admit that one of our heroes wants to get paid a shit ton of money? The annoying thing IMO is how out of touch he seems to have got. The haves for example. 


    Side note: do you know what also sucks? Paying $95 to sit in the last row of safeco field when that same price of ticket can get you field seats.  Serious thought maybe Pearl Jam should go to tiered pricing like all the bands do? I know Seattle is a bad example because the show will sell out no matter the ticket price. Someone mentioned we could be paying $200 to sit at the back of the floor like we do for the Chili’s on their upcoming tour. But at the same time I can get a $35 ticket in the nose bleeds just to be there. I am not a chili peppers fan so I wouldn’t even go for free. Except the strokes are opening so I will go just will leave after they play. Lol!

    Post edited by lowbudgetlush on
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 3,822
    I missed the 1995 tour because I didnt have enough money to go.  This included a show at Soldier Field in Chicago, which had over 50,000 people?   The tickets were around 20 or 30 bucks, and I said to myself, "How can I afford this?"  And I didnt even have to worry about transportation or hotels, etc.  

    In 1998, I had a better situation, and I was able to afford....get this....TWO shows!!!  One was in Alpine Valley....I missed the other Alpine show and the Chicago Show....there was NO WAY I could afford both Alpine Shows AND the Chicago show.   That was it for the summer. One show.  A couple months later in September, I saw that there were still tickets to the Knoxville show...and guess what....I had some saved money from summer, and was able to get tix AND a hotel.  But at the time, everyone around me was saying, "Jeez, Id love to go, how can you afford it?"

    The tickets for these shows do seem expensive.  But looking at other acts (Solo, lesser known bands, etc) playing similar venues (3000-5000 seats) and they are going for similar price points.  

    Inflation is crazy, the pandemic is crazy, venues lost jobs, people lost money.   This is not a cash grab.  This is the state of music that we were in.  

    IN 1995, even 1998, artists were making more money off of album sales than they are now.  There are tons of reasons why all concerts are more expensive recently.   At some point, this bubble will also burst, but this is not the case of some rich dude getting all this money.  There are other band members, other techs/crew, venues, security, covid insurance, etc.....

    Like any other concert I have ever seen, there will be some that can afford it, and some that cant. But lets not pretend we are still in 1995, or 1998, or even 2005.  Or even pre-covid. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, ColoradoPosts: 9,835
    Long Red said:
    Wild how expensive the tix are for the Ed solo shows. It's almost comical. Who the hell has an extra $500 laying around for a pair of concert tix? My sweet lord.
    why is he even charging at all? such a dick move, Ed.
    bla bla bla

  • I think its a complete cash grab but I am not bothered by it. They can charge however much they want. Its one of the benefits of being a successful musician. 

    I am not sure why people put Eddie on some sort of pedestal. He likes money just like the rest of us. 
  • Long Red said:
    Wild how expensive the tix are for the Ed solo shows. It's almost comical. Who the hell has an extra $500 laying around for a pair of concert tix? My sweet lord.
    why is he even charging at all? such a dick move, Ed.
    bla bla bla


  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 1,917
    edited December 2021
    I think its a complete cash grab but I am not bothered by it. They can charge however much they want. Its one of the benefits of being a successful musician. 

    I am not sure why people put Eddie on some sort of pedestal. He likes money just like the rest of us. 
    Struggling musicians who lived in their parents basements, try to make money so they can move out. When they move out of the basement they are a sellout even though that was the plan all along 

    I think there are a lot of people here still living in their parents house.  My mom yells “sellout” every time I come to visit so I get it and I’m not even a musician 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USAPosts: 21,898
    This thread as 10k potential people! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,518
    edited December 2021
    …..
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,752
    I am not sure why people put Eddie on some sort of pedestal. He likes money just like the rest of us. 
    Probably because of the stories he tells about the days when he had no money and did what he could to get into shows as a music fan, writing songs like Green Disease and his previous stance on the importance of keeping costs affordable for all fans, not just the rich few. 

    Over the past decade, it feels like a lot has changed with Eddie. From taking private planes to do corporates shows to pricing out many people from his shows, I just couldn’t have imagine it would have happened previously. 

    Obviously Ed has a family now and who can blame him for wanting to to earn as much as he can for them. But at the same time you can’t blame fans, who really bought into the idea that he was different to many other artists, for being disappointed with how things have changed. 

    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 408
    You can totally blame fans.  All this talk about Ed selling out and shit is just childish.  The moment fans stole/streamed music they sold out and have no reason to bitch about how an artist makes money.   I am sorry $250 really isnt that much to see a very popular in a smaller venue, and like has been said may times these are just the best seats there are other price levels just not offered through the Ten club.  
    Also, for all the ripping into Eddie for being greedy it is insanely greedy for fans to expect an artist to cater to their every whims.  Could he play bigger venues, sure but maybe he doesn't want to, maybe he prefers to play theaters and playing outside of  Pearl Jam is his only opportunity to do so.  I think fanbases put all these expectations on musicians who they don't know and then get mad when they don't live up to them.  I mean who gives a shit if he took a private plane or played a private show
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,696
    Top Tier tickets to EV solo in Taormina, Sicily were $195 in 2017, so these prices aren't surprising.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,696
    igotid88 said:
    eddiec said:
    It's because we're old. We still remember when concerts were $20 to see a major act in a stadium.

    Someone mentioned this earlier- because of streaming, prices are only going to go up.

    Would you rather have:

    a) Still buy every CD you want to listen to for 10-15 a pop, and pay $100 for a concert ticket

    or

    b) Pay $10 a month and listen to everything, then shell out 200-250 every now and then for a concert

    I think you'll be financially better with b.


    But most artists who don't have a huge fanbase won't make any money with B.

    I'm not saying I agree with it. Just making the case that yearly expenditure on music is probably less even with $250 tickets.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,752
    apirk72 said:
    You can totally blame fans.  All this talk about Ed selling out and shit is just childish.  The moment fans stole/streamed music they sold out and have no reason to bitch about how an artist makes money.   I am sorry $250 really isnt that much to see a very popular in a smaller venue, and like has been said may times these are just the best seats there are other price levels just not offered through the Ten club.  
    Also, for all the ripping into Eddie for being greedy it is insanely greedy for fans to expect an artist to cater to their every whims.  Could he play bigger venues, sure but maybe he doesn't want to, maybe he prefers to play theaters and playing outside of  Pearl Jam is his only opportunity to do so.  I think fanbases put all these expectations on musicians who they don't know and then get mad when they don't live up to them.  I mean who gives a shit if he took a private plane or played a private show
    I would guess almost all fans of PJ/Ed have bought physical releases (multiple times for many) of the albums. So I’m not buying this streaming argument.

    All I’ll say is, if you’re gonna talk the talk you better walk the walk. Otherwise you’re open to criticism, much like Bono and the rest. I do actually care if Ed takes a private plane to do a corporate show. Particularly when he makes politics a big part of shows and the band’s identity. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • apirk72 said:
    You can totally blame fans.  All this talk about Ed selling out and shit is just childish.  The moment fans stole/streamed music they sold out and have no reason to bitch about how an artist makes money.   I am sorry $250 really isnt that much to see a very popular in a smaller venue, and like has been said may times these are just the best seats there are other price levels just not offered through the Ten club.  
    Also, for all the ripping into Eddie for being greedy it is insanely greedy for fans to expect an artist to cater to their every whims.  Could he play bigger venues, sure but maybe he doesn't want to, maybe he prefers to play theaters and playing outside of  Pearl Jam is his only opportunity to do so.  I think fanbases put all these expectations on musicians who they don't know and then get mad when they don't live up to them.  I mean who gives a shit if he took a private plane or played a private show
    I'm over this tour and the prices, I really don't care at this point as Eddie's solo work doesn't appeal to me half as much as his work w/ Pearl Jam... to echo Jimmy's sentiment, this tour just isn't for me. 

    With that being said, if you're going to write songs like "Green Disease" or "The Haves", you open yourself up to these criticisms. 
  • tino_11 said:
    apirk72 said:
    You can totally blame fans.  All this talk about Ed selling out and shit is just childish.  The moment fans stole/streamed music they sold out and have no reason to bitch about how an artist makes money.   I am sorry $250 really isnt that much to see a very popular in a smaller venue, and like has been said may times these are just the best seats there are other price levels just not offered through the Ten club.  
    Also, for all the ripping into Eddie for being greedy it is insanely greedy for fans to expect an artist to cater to their every whims.  Could he play bigger venues, sure but maybe he doesn't want to, maybe he prefers to play theaters and playing outside of  Pearl Jam is his only opportunity to do so.  I think fanbases put all these expectations on musicians who they don't know and then get mad when they don't live up to them.  I mean who gives a shit if he took a private plane or played a private show
    I would guess almost all fans of PJ/Ed have bought physical releases (multiple times for many) of the albums. So I’m not buying this streaming argument.

    All I’ll say is, if you’re gonna talk the talk you better walk the walk. Otherwise you’re open to criticism, much like Bono and the rest. I do actually care if Ed takes a private plane to do a corporate show. Particularly when he makes politics a big part of shows and the band’s identity. 
    Exactly. The political/social rants in between songs are a joke. If He wants to discuss how he believes the world should work and what we should think than maybe he should come on the forum and debate it. Ticket prices and his lifestyle suggest he says one thing and his actions are the opposite.  To be clear, I don't have a problem with how he lives his life (ticket prices included). The rants are tired and repetitive
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    The days of seeing great bands for $9.50-$12.50 are so far gone its scary to think about.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

  • DP13DP13 Posts: 266
    He can charge whatever he wants.  The price is not out of line when compared to other artists. The shows will instantly sell out ultimately proving the price isn't too high. 

    BUT

    You can't charge $250 and not be a HYPOCRITE ------ when:

    You demanded Letterman go commercial free to get you to perform.  You made venues cover up advertising at your shows.  You have several songs and lyrics about greed and money.  You've had countless rants at your concerts about greed and money. You said Third Eye Blind couldn't cover Baba O'Riley because they were a corporate rock band.  You repeatedly said you'd keep ticket prices low and judged bands for not doing the same.  You threw shade at the industry for not backing you in your battle against Ticketmaster over fees making tickets too expensive.  You kicked out a band member allegedly in part due to his love of fame and money.  You said you had to buy PT's guitar at auction so it didn't go to some rich asshole banker. ETC ETC ETC 

    It is also OK for fans to take the stance that you know Ed has changed (much like many of "us" have) but you still love him, enjoy his music and shows. That is where I'm at. 

    But please do not tell other fans that they can't call him a hypocrite and that they can't feel betrayed. 

  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

    Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • smile6680 said:
    tino_11 said:
    apirk72 said:
    You can totally blame fans.  All this talk about Ed selling out and shit is just childish.  The moment fans stole/streamed music they sold out and have no reason to bitch about how an artist makes money.   I am sorry $250 really isnt that much to see a very popular in a smaller venue, and like has been said may times these are just the best seats there are other price levels just not offered through the Ten club.  
    Also, for all the ripping into Eddie for being greedy it is insanely greedy for fans to expect an artist to cater to their every whims.  Could he play bigger venues, sure but maybe he doesn't want to, maybe he prefers to play theaters and playing outside of  Pearl Jam is his only opportunity to do so.  I think fanbases put all these expectations on musicians who they don't know and then get mad when they don't live up to them.  I mean who gives a shit if he took a private plane or played a private show
    I would guess almost all fans of PJ/Ed have bought physical releases (multiple times for many) of the albums. So I’m not buying this streaming argument.

    All I’ll say is, if you’re gonna talk the talk you better walk the walk. Otherwise you’re open to criticism, much like Bono and the rest. I do actually care if Ed takes a private plane to do a corporate show. Particularly when he makes politics a big part of shows and the band’s identity. 
    Exactly. The political/social rants in between songs are a joke. If He wants to discuss how he believes the world should work and what we should think than maybe he should come on the forum and debate it. Ticket prices and his lifestyle suggest he says one thing and his actions are the opposite.  To be clear, I don't have a problem with how he lives his life (ticket prices included). The rants are tired and repetitive
    That’s like someone giving a climate activist crap for taking a plane to give a speech on climate to raise awareness and to reach more people. No one says people can’t live functional lives and that they have to ride a bike 3000 miles to get somewhere like it’s some all or nothing proposition. It’s a false narrative set up to make people out to be hypocrites if they don’t fit a narrow definition of what they are supposed to be

    EV can be rich and still have principles.  We don’t know if he pays all his taxes, donates to worthy causes, or if he lives an excessively obscene materialistic  lifestyle.  We just don’t know. He can be an activist for whatever he wants and having money isn’t a disqualifier 

    the world doesn’t operate in black and white 
  • The days of seeing great bands for $9.50-$12.50 are so far gone its scary to think about.
    Not completely true. I have seen some fantastic early on bands and even semi-established great bands around $15-25 a ticket just this past fall.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • ZodZod Posts: 8,724
    Yah, I think Ed's much more comfortable with his fame, than he was in the early 90's when they exploded from being a bar band to a headlining band in a very short period of time.   It happens to me too.  My outlook has changed since my 20s.  I think my 20 year old self would be impressed at some of the things I accomplished but facepalm about others.

    I do agree that the ticket prices, unfortunately do seem in line for veteran acts with a big following, that can most likely fill arenas or stadiums.   Just before Covid we paid $400USD for decent stadium tickets (off to the side a little bit in front of the stage about  5 rows up in the bleachers).    $500 USD would of gotten us pit tickets (which I should of done, because I saw Matt Cameron wandering around the pit).

    We paid $250usd for GNR pit tickets about 5 years ago in Seattle.  I think that was my first show at that price level.  Now it's becoming more common.  I think the last time Metallica played Vancouver it was 200cdn + TM fees for decent tickets.  It was a stadium show, so we opted to pass on that tour.

    Does it suck that ticket prices as a whole have been skyrocketing upwards? absolutely it does.   Is Ed the only one?  Not really.  Pretty much any pre 2000 band left that has a big following that makes it easy to sell out arenas and stadiums can command that kind of money.

    It does make me a little sad, because I felt (even though other people were complaining about 2020 ticket prices) PJ itself was still undercutting the costs of their tickets.   So the EV solo shows breaking away from that. hopefully it's not a trend.

    For the industry as a whole, with skyrocketing ticket prices, I had started to get much more selective about shows I was going to.  Do I need to see GNR again for $250/ticket plus hotels/ferry/gas.  Maybe the next tour kind of thing.   PJ/EV is the only band I religiously attend shows, so they can get away with higher ticket prices, but other bands I go see every other tour, or every third tour, as I don't always feel compelled to pay those kind of prices to see them all the time.

    Finger's crossed that these prices make it easier to obtain tickets, but I somewhat doubt it :(
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 11,334
    eddiec said:
    Top Tier tickets to EV solo in Taormina, Sicily were $195 in 2017, so these prices aren't surprising.
    I thought it was close to this. And that was just Glen and Eddie too. 
    PJ
    2013 Worcester 1 & 2
    2016 Quebec, Toronto 2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 2
    2018 Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Seattle 2, Wrigley 2, Fenway 1&2 
    2021 Encore 1&2
    2022 Fresno, Sacramento, Vegas, Vienna, Prague, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, New York City

    EV
    2017 Firenze, Taormina 1 & 2
  • One can still have principles and not practice what they preach. The stupidity is something is else.
  • halvhalv Posts: 649
    tino_11 said:
    I am not sure why people put Eddie on some sort of pedestal. He likes money just like the rest of us. 
    Probably because of the stories he tells about the days when he had no money and did what he could to get into shows as a music fan, writing songs like Green Disease and his previous stance on the importance of keeping costs affordable for all fans, not just the rich few. 

    Over the past decade, it feels like a lot has changed with Eddie. From taking private planes to do corporates shows to pricing out many people from his shows, I just couldn’t have imagine it would have happened previously. 

    Obviously Ed has a family now and who can blame him for wanting to to earn as much as he can for them. But at the same time you can’t blame fans, who really bought into the idea that he was different to many other artists, for being disappointed with how things have changed. 

    This ^^
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USAPosts: 21,898
    DP13 said:
    He can charge whatever he wants.  The price is not out of line when compared to other artists. The shows will instantly sell out ultimately proving the price isn't too high. 

    BUT

    You can't charge $250 and not be a HYPOCRITE ------ when:

    You demanded Letterman go commercial free to get you to perform.  You made venues cover up advertising at your shows.  You have several songs and lyrics about greed and money.  You've had countless rants at your concerts about greed and money. You said Third Eye Blind couldn't cover Baba O'Riley because they were a corporate rock band.  You repeatedly said you'd keep ticket prices low and judged bands for not doing the same.  You threw shade at the industry for not backing you in your battle against Ticketmaster over fees making tickets too expensive.  You kicked out a band member allegedly in part due to his love of fame and money.  You said you had to buy PT's guitar at auction so it didn't go to some rich asshole banker. ETC ETC ETC 

    It is also OK for fans to take the stance that you know Ed has changed (much like many of "us" have) but you still love him, enjoy his music and shows. That is where I'm at. 

    But please do not tell other fans that they can't call him a hypocrite and that they can't feel betrayed. 
    You're in love with an old version of someone. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • DP13 said:
    He can charge whatever he wants.  The price is not out of line when compared to other artists. The shows will instantly sell out ultimately proving the price isn't too high. 

    BUT

    You can't charge $250 and not be a HYPOCRITE ------ when:

    You demanded Letterman go commercial free to get you to perform.  You made venues cover up advertising at your shows.  You have several songs and lyrics about greed and money.  You've had countless rants at your concerts about greed and money. You said Third Eye Blind couldn't cover Baba O'Riley because they were a corporate rock band.  You repeatedly said you'd keep ticket prices low and judged bands for not doing the same.  You threw shade at the industry for not backing you in your battle against Ticketmaster over fees making tickets too expensive.  You kicked out a band member allegedly in part due to his love of fame and money.  You said you had to buy PT's guitar at auction so it didn't go to some rich asshole banker. ETC ETC ETC 

    It is also OK for fans to take the stance that you know Ed has changed (much like many of "us" have) but you still love him, enjoy his music and shows. That is where I'm at. 

    But please do not tell other fans that they can't call him a hypocrite and that they can't feel betrayed. 
    You're in love with an old version of someone. 
    He released "The Haves" 2 weeks ago. 
Sign In or Register to comment.