Capitalism Sucks.

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    It’s off putting to see those prices. But laughable to hear the complaints from people who spend more on toys and rugs with Pearl Jam’s name on them. 
  • PD279656PD279656 Posts: 119
    rb173565 said:
    capitalism doesn't suck, but it clearly doesn't work. All you united statesians  seem to forget that the federal reserve has flooded the market with billions of dollars, printed to prop up all the banks and keep the world economy going since the 2008 economic collapse. Now its coming back to bite with the highest inflation  in decades. europe is feeling the effects too. essentially the dollar is nigh on worthless and its going to get worse. for the conspiracy theorists out there this is part of the NWO's plan for the great reset. that along with the fake pandemic and forcing people into a cashless society are all leading to higher prices. 

Reaches for tinfoil hat 

• dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    disgraceful
    danny d
  • deweildeweil Posts: 245
    for my pocket this is very expensive price for a ticket..

however a few years back after i learn how industry works,how prices set,who pays who,who is in charge i realise that how is business works and why make sense the ticket prices 
    for example..a promoter wants to book eddie vedder at the theater in NY ..
    2880 capaccity..
    he needs to pay ev managments(that includes ev,promotion company  ,his crew,security,transfer gear,hotels for everyone,his band mates on this tour ,transportation ,tour manager etc)
    promoter needs to pay to book the venue.(crazy high to book Beacon Theatre for examble.)
    promoter needs to pay for promoton,adv,social media,rfadio station etc.
    ticket ventor takes a huge cut ..as i saw was 35 dollars per ticket,
    maybe he need to pay a third party has rights at the venue or some record lebel..
    all those deals needs legal team and all..he needs to pay all those..
    now add to that like 10% of the ticket price is taxes for the state..

and most of all,,he doesnt work for the fans,.,promoter works for profit..to make money.,,which he deserves cos he paid upfront all the cost and he gets back money only from ticket sales.
    so for a 235 ticket...,35 gets to ticxket master,,20 gets to taxes,add now how much the venue gets from that,all the money for promotion,legal,radios,social media,etc..
    the artist management  payment,,
    so..2880 x 235 =676.800 is the money of tickets sold..
    ticketmaster cut is  2880x 35 fees = ....100.800.....
    now go fugure how to book the venue costs..in the center of NY...crazy money..
    taxes are 20 x 2880 = 57.600

so if u add all the cost he needs to pay will go up to half a mil....well..for sure he will not put 500.000 dollars down to get back 1000 dollars profit..
    this is how things are in business..

Except the average cost of orchestra seats at the beacon (for example) isn't $200. 
    Somehow all those other bands figured out a way to pay their band/crew and themselves for a lot less. 

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    Asking people to pay these types of prices while people are still holding on to tickets for a PJ tour that still hasn't been rescheduled yet...not cool.
    Clearly EV isn’t the hold up with COVID indoor venue concerns. It’s one of the other 4.
    Stone lol
    I for one am glad they are not rushing to do indoor venues specially since anyone can get a vaccine card! The band wants to be sure the venues are equipped with digital scanning for Covid cards on your phones so the anti vaccine idiots can be weeded out, I say good on them I’ve been to two small venue shows this past summer both venues were scanning for Covid proof not asking for paper cards..
    Not everyone owns a smart phone is there a way to get a qr code to assuage others fears that I may have a fraudulent vax card?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    eddiec said:
    It's because we're old. We still remember when concerts were $20 to see a major act in a stadium.

Someone mentioned this earlier- because of streaming, prices are only going to go up.

Would you rather have:

a) Still buy every CD you want to listen to for 10-15 a pop, and pay $100 for a concert ticket

or

b) Pay $10 a month and listen to everything, then shell out 200-250 every now and then for a concert

I think you'll be financially better with b.

A  The artists I like would get more of my money rather than subsidizing top tier artists and giving smaller artists fractions of a penny on the play.  But this is the way I still consume music. No streaming here.
    Scio me nihil scire

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    nicknyr15 said:
    It’s off putting to see those prices. But laughable to hear the complaints from people who spend more on toys and rugs with Pearl Jam’s name on them. 
    People spend more per month at Starbucks. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Wanna know what also sucks? Entitlement. See a lot of that whenever shows are announced. Prices, tix, merch, etc etc. It’s a really gross side of being a fan of this band.
    It's just a minority group of people on the board, but they are the ones who lay the biggest turds all us flies like to gather around! 
    True true. Always gotta remind myself is a loud minority, and not the majority. 
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Wah.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    eddiec said:
    It's because we're old. We still remember when concerts were $20 to see a major act in a stadium.

Someone mentioned this earlier- because of streaming, prices are only going to go up.

Would you rather have:

a) Still buy every CD you want to listen to for 10-15 a pop, and pay $100 for a concert ticket

or

b) Pay $10 a month and listen to everything, then shell out 200-250 every now and then for a concert

I would take B every day.  But I've never paid $200 for a concert ticket. And I'm not sure that I am going to start. PJ would be the only band I would even consider doing that for. But I don't expect them to get to that point. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I think many of you throughout these threads have made compelling arguments as to why these prices may not be as bad as they initially look, but there is no way I would ever pay these prices for Ed and his side band. It's not Pearl Jam. It's Ed and a lesser band. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyV said:
    I think many of you throughout these threads have made compelling arguments as to why these prices may not be as bad as they initially look, but there is no way I would ever pay these prices for Ed and his side band. It's not Pearl Jam. It's Ed and a lesser band. 
    For me I prefer an EV show in a small setting all day long vs a Pearl jam show in an arena. 

However I would rather listen to a Pearl jam show at home after the fact. That makes me sound really old 

Not sure how this tour will be since it’s not technically solo, but exactly zero of the EV shows I have been to even have an official boot available so you kind of have to be there. That’s worth something to me 

• ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    This continues to be one of the most wildly out of touch fan bases on the planet.  I've said it before and I'll say it a million more times.  This is for profit organization. This is their work, their profession and not a hobby. $250/ticket isn't even close to top end pricing for a top level touring act with this demand. Even at $250/ticket these guys are leaving a a big pile of money on the table.  I know a lot of our base is stuck in 1994 gen x angst but it's time to grow up.  These guys aren't 25 and touring in a van.  These a full scale professional operations with professional staffs, venues, travel costs, insurance costs,  and a slew  of other expenses all of those costs need to be covered AND turn a profit.  Every time a band or solo tour that gets announced here it is met with....why aren't tickets the same price there were back in the 90's? The band has changed!  Of course they've changed. Almost everything in the world has changed.  its been 30 years. If you haven't  changed a bit in that time, the problem isn't the band.  Bands don't get rich from having a hit single anymore, they get 8 cents from Spotify.  The majority of their income comes from touring. 

The reality is, that Pearl Jam still charges going rate from 10-15 years ago and plays 2.5 hours+ for us.  Grab a ticket for one of their contemporaries like Red Hot Chili Peppers. and you'll be paying $200 for the last row of the floors and they'll play an exactly 90 minute standard headliner set.  Try a newer Top 20 artist and the whole lower bowl and floor is "official platinum" seating that runs from $350 to $900.  $250/ticket for a tour that has all of 8 shows or whatever it is , in intimate theatres where there are really no bad seats is pretty good value if you're living in reality.   Those acts also don't protect tickets for fans in the amount that Ed and the band allocate. We've been spoiled and it never shows more than when it's ticket time. 

Its hard when anything we like or are interested in comes at a cost that exceeds our budget or comfort level but that doesn't make it  a capitalist trap, a ripoff or unfair. Especially in a case like this where the artist could easily get twice that at face value. Our base, as loyal and true as they may be, need to be  re-introduced to the real world. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    The positive spin on the ticket prices is if you are really interested in going this will increase your chances of scoring tickets.   I don't really have a ton of interest in Ed solo and definitely not at these prices. My decision is really easy since he isn't coming to Philly.

I love that quote about $50 tickets...that's only $87 in 2021 money...so Eddie's REALLY changed his tune. 
    Now he's like, I only want to play for people who can afford $200 and forget about $6 in fees. Let's make it $40 (and FYI, the artist gets a cut of the fees too!)
    static111 said:
    Asking people to pay these types of prices while people are still holding on to tickets for a PJ tour that still hasn't been rescheduled yet...not cool.
    Clearly EV isn’t the hold up with COVID indoor venue concerns. It’s one of the other 4.
    Stone lol
    I for one am glad they are not rushing to do indoor venues specially since anyone can get a vaccine card! The band wants to be sure the venues are equipped with digital scanning for Covid cards on your phones so the anti vaccine idiots can be weeded out, I say good on them I’ve been to two small venue shows this past summer both venues were scanning for Covid proof not asking for paper cards..

I've been to only one show that has scanned my digital vax card. Most just check the names. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    pjhawks said:
    The positive spin on the ticket prices is if you are really interested in going this will increase your chances of scoring tickets.   I don't really have a ton of interest in Ed solo and definitely not at these prices. My decision is really easy since he isn't coming to Philly.

Philly to Newark on a Sunday is not a bad ride? 

I'm not crazy about the 2 songs they've put out, so that right now is the main reason I'm leaning on not going.  But, who knows, I may change my mind.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    JimmyV said:
    The reality is that Ed is the band.  I ve seen pj minus Ed (totd) and it wasn’t nearly as good.  You put Ed with any group of musicians and it is going to be a great show. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2021
    deweil said:
    I love that quote about $50 tickets...that's only $87 in 2021 money...so Eddie's REALLY changed his tune. 
    Now he's like, I only want to play for people who can afford $200 and forget about $6 in fees. Let's make it $40 (and FYI, the artist gets a cut of the fees too!)
    That was 50 dollars, when the money came from album sales and them not being far from loving to tour out of a van sharing rooms. Album sales subsided touring so to speak.

Isn't he playing kind of small places to? That also drives up the ticket prices.

Not saying that 200 dollars is close to charity or anything like that. It's an obscene amount of money.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    The reality is that Ed is the band.  I ve seen pj minus Ed (totd) and it wasn’t nearly as good.  
    Weird comparison. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:

Philly to Newark on a Sunday is not a bad ride? 

I'm not crazy about the 2 songs they've put out, so that right now is the main reason I'm leaning on not going.  But, who knows, I may change my mind.
    They will play more than 2 songs
    I miss igotid88
  • mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    The reality is that Ed is the band.  I ve seen pj minus Ed (totd) and it wasn’t nearly as good.  You put Ed with any group of musicians and it is going to be a great show. 
    Couldn't disagree more, Ed solo is fun, but for me his solo work pales in comparison to the songs he writes with Pearl Jam... not to mention the live experiences are night & day. Ed solo in the theaters is intimate & fun, but I would still take any PJ show over an Ed solo show 100 out of 100 times. (there's also something to be said about him sitting alone surrounded by guitars... personally I can't stand the RHCP, so I could care less about seeing him backed up by Chad Smith of Klinghoffer... to each his own) 

Not to mention, TOTD in Philly was one of my favorite all time shows, so I guess we disagree on a lot here, which is fine.

I'm not against paying $200+ post covid for musical acts I think are worth the price tag, so I don't think I'm out of touch with the times or reality of 2021... I just don't think Ed with this lineup supporting an album from which we've heard all of 2 songs (lakcluster ones at that IMO) is worth $240. It's possible the rest of the album kicks ass and I end up eating these words, but I'm reasonably confident this won't be the case. 
  • deweil said:
    The payment landscape has changed as well as inflation.

Most artists make a larger share of their money from touring today since album sales are a fraction of what they use to be.  To get a platinum album today even accounting for streaming is exceedingly rare 

if hootie and the blowfish could sell 14 million records in the 90’s and Taylor Swift just gets over a million today it’s pretty clear that they need to make money from something other than off their recordings. 

People are clearly spending less money on music today but more on concerts. It’s probably not that big of a difference then vs now on how much a person spends on their total music related expenditures. 

I know I spend hundreds of dollars less per year on music than I did in the 90’s not even factoring inflation. As a college student I somehow spent well over 1k in early 2000’s dollars per year on CD’s I spend $120 per year today for all my music 

people planning on going to 15 concerts a year are not the norm then or now. Those people probably are spending more today so I get why they are upset 
    eddiec said:

Would you rather have:

or

But most artists who don't have a huge fanbase won't make any money with B.
    I miss igotid88
  • Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    Thinking back on creating this thread yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I regret it. Lol ... it sucks getting old and not being able to afford my favorite activities like I was able to in my younger days, even though I have more money now. Aging...is the absolute worst, especially aging in this day and age.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited December 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    The reality is that Ed is the band.  I ve seen pj minus Ed (totd) and it wasn’t nearly as good.  
    Weird comparison. 
    Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I d rather see Ed with a backing band than Pearl Jam with another singer.  Totd was good but no where near pj.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Long Red said:
    Thinking back on creating this thread yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I regret it. Lol ... it sucks getting old and not being able to afford my favorite activities like I was able to in my younger days, even though I have more money now. Aging...is the absolute worst, especially aging in this day and age.
    Yep, nice one dude! You win Thursday for sure! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Weird comparison. 
    Why?  I d rather see Ed with a backing band than Pearl Jam with another singer.  
    Id rather see Neil Jam than EV and the Earthlings and I would probably easily pay 250 or more per ticket.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Weird comparison. 
    Why?  I d rather see Ed with a backing band than Pearl Jam with another singer.  
    Id rather see Neil Jam than EV and the Earthlings and I would probably easily pay 250 or more per ticket.
    Well then it's not about the money
    I miss igotid88
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I do not agree. Ed on his own is great but it is a different thing. There is no Pearl Jam without Mike McCready's guitar, IMO. 

I was not overly impressed by what I heard from the Earthlings at Ohana, but I've been blown away both by Pearl Jam and Ed solo. This tour isn't for me. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."