Capitalism Sucks.

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think many of you throughout these threads have made compelling arguments as to why these prices may not be as bad as they initially look, but there is no way I would ever pay these prices for Ed and his side band. It's not Pearl Jam. It's Ed and a lesser band. 
    The reality is that Ed is the band.  I ve seen pj minus Ed (totd) and it wasn’t nearly as good.  You put Ed with any group of musicians and it is going to be a great show. 
    I do not agree. Ed on his own is great but it is a different thing. There is no Pearl Jam without Mike McCready's guitar, IMO. 

I was not overly impressed by what I heard from the Earthlings at Ohana, but I've been blown away both by Pearl Jam and Ed solo. This tour isn't for me. 
    Sounds like more cash for PJ, whenever they do decide to launch another tour! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 713
    hrd2imgn said:
    the going rate.....Ed used to fight this kind of insanity.  So now he is in the 1% group he rails against as if he is a man of the people.  He makes his concerts accessible to only those with a lot of cash.....amazing how age makes you what you once despised.

Yep, well said. Those days are gone!
    Randall's Island, NY 9-29-1996, MSGNYC 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSGNYC 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSGNYC 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    Asking people to pay these types of prices while people are still holding on to tickets for a PJ tour that still hasn't been rescheduled yet...not cool.
    Clearly EV isn’t the hold up with COVID indoor venue concerns. It’s one of the other 4.
    Maybe mike since he has crohns? My bil has crohns also but he isn’t part of the immunocompromised whereas another friend of mine is
    Yeah, my co-worker's husband has it, and he is in the immunocrompromised group. He and his wife are VERY concerned for his well-being during COVID and have to be more careful than most.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think many of you throughout these threads have made compelling arguments as to why these prices may not be as bad as they initially look, but there is no way I would ever pay these prices for Ed and his side band. It's not Pearl Jam. It's Ed and a lesser band. 
    The reality is that Ed is the band.  I ve seen pj minus Ed (totd) and it wasn’t nearly as good.  You put Ed with any group of musicians and it is going to be a great show. 
    I do not agree. Ed on his own is great but it is a different thing. There is no Pearl Jam without Mike McCready's guitar, IMO. 

I was not overly impressed by what I heard from the Earthlings at Ohana, but I've been blown away both by Pearl Jam and Ed solo. This tour isn't for me. 
    I understand what you are saying.  I won’t lose any sleep if I don’t get tickets to these shows.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited December 2021
    FWIW, I would pay $250 for a ticket, if only I was comfortable making international travel plans right now, and felt sure I wouldn't end up screwed because of new COVID restrictions by then. I'm jealous of all you complainers! :lol::wink:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Now dynamic pricing is an example of capitalism sucking.  Tried getting Harry styles tickets for my daughter and face value $125 tickets went up to $975 before fees.  
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    mcgruff10 said:
    Now dynamic pricing is an example of capitalism sucking.  Tried getting Harry styles tickets for my daughter and face value $125 tickets went up to $975 before fees.  
    Can’t put a price on your daughter’s love and gratitude. 
    tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Well I must not love her that much because she didn’t go to the show! ;)
  • mcgruff10 said:
    It's just market economy. 

You sound like a commie.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    It's just market economy. 

You sound like a commie.
    Nah, I just hate that Ticketmaster is also stubhub.  
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    How would this show compare to EV solo?

EV solo definitely worth $200 per ticket.  $250-300 is up there in price but if it's too rich it's easy pass.  Just don't go or see if prices come down in the secondary market.

Or wait for more shows like me (since I don't wanna travel in February).
  • DP13 said:
    The cost is certainly high. However, that seems to be the going rate for shows right now. I just bought my wife Morgan Wallen (I had to look him up, country guy) tickets yesterday for her and her friend at $250 a pop for pit. Metallica was $200 here in Atlanta.

By no means am I comparing either of the two artists listed above to EV, but the cost is going up for everything and venues are likely forcing there hands to make up for two years of lost revenue.
    Morgan Wallen never (insert decades worth of EV publicly judging other artists for their capitalistic ways, badmouthing corporations, fighting ticket fees, wrote a song about the haves like last week ffs, etc).

Ed never screamed the N word at his buddies so I know who I would rather go see.
    mcgruff10 said:

Dynamic pricing is bullshit.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    apirk72 said:
    That all makes sense demitris but 26 years ago he spoke out against high ticket prices and we have to hold musicians to their words, no matter what changes in their industry.  You? Me? Politicians? Nah but musicians yes.
    I am still not over Ian taking prices off the Dischord record covers, what a sellout.
    26 years ago I swore that I was marrying my high school sweetheart.  Point being, 26 years is an eternity, people change.  
    Exactly. People need to recognize this. Is it a good change? Maybe, maybe not.   
  • deweil said:
    I love that quote about $50 tickets...that's only $87 in 2021 money...so Eddie's REALLY changed his tune. 
    Now he's like, I only want to play for people who can afford $200 and forget about $6 in fees. Let's make it $40 (and FYI, the artist gets a cut of the fees too!)
    Didn't he play a free concert at a zoo recently. I don't remember if attendees paid 200$ a ticket for that one.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    Capitalism has pros and cons, but certainly does not work when there is a monopoly.  TM is the devil that put us in this ticket access and pricing hell. TM knows exactly how to price events to ensure strong demand and not lose revenue to the secondary market.  And if they get it wrong, they have a presence reselling as well. Add in dynamic pricing and that leaves the consumer with the short end of the stick. 

Wait until you see the $500 TM resale prices for the best seats when people get shut out. Take big acts that can sell out arenas and put them in a small room, and there is your $250 ticket. Fighting the good fight died a long time ago. And it's not Ed or the bands fault. They tried and get what they can for Pearl Jam tours.

That said, I loved this band at Ohana.  Seeing the cover of I'm one live was just killer. The energy from Watt and Josh was insane. If you go, bring ear plugs, because Chad's drums and Pino's bass are LOUD.  It was refreshing to see Ed with a new band and bringing it, almost old school. My enjoyment may have been enhanced by the fact that it was a surprise at the time, but man it was good.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,039
    Red Lukin said:
    How would this show compare to EV solo?

EV solo definitely worth $200 per ticket.  $250-300 is up there in price but if it's too rich it's easy pass.  Just don't go or see if prices come down in the secondary market.

Or wait for more shows like me (since I don't wanna travel in February).
    Maybe if it sells well they'll add another date or 2. But they also have their own bands to go to and tour next year.
    I miss igotid88
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    Get_Right said:
    Capitalism has pros and cons, but certainly does not work when there is a monopoly.  TM is the devil that put us in this ticket access and pricing hell. TM knows exactly how to price events to ensure strong demand and not lose revenue to the secondary market.  And if they get it wrong, they have a presence reselling as well. Add in dynamic pricing and that leaves the consumer with the short end of the stick. 

Wait until you see the $500 TM resale prices for the best seats when people get shut out. Take big acts that can sell out arenas and put them in a small room, and there is your $250 ticket. Fighting the good fight died a long time ago. And it's not Ed or the bands fault. They tried and get what they can for Pearl Jam tours.

That said, I loved this band at Ohana.  Seeing the cover of I'm one live was just killer. The energy from Watt and Josh was insane. If you go, bring ear plugs, because Chad's drums and Pino's bass are LOUD.  It was refreshing to see Ed with a new band and bringing it, almost old school. My enjoyment may have been enhanced by the fact that it was a surprise at the time, but man it was good.
    Chris Chaney is on bass this time around.  Janes Addiction.  NHC.   He also plays bass on every other pop hit of the past 20 yrs.  
  • PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Dynamic pricing is bullshit.
    That’s how you will sell your house for example. For as much as the market will bear.  

Probably not a single person here is opposed to dynamic pricing when it benefits them. When it doesn’t benefit them then it’s suddenly a problem 

that’s what this is about, not capitalism, not greed etc because everyone here does the exact same thing when they can
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    Get_Right said:

Chris Chaney is on bass this time around.  Janes Addiction.  NHC.   He also plays bass on every other pop hit of the past 20 yrs.  

I still recommend ear plugs LOL and thanks for the clarification.  
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,048
    edited December 2021
    The notion that the price must be too high because it's way more expensive than some concert you saw five years ago doesn't really make sense. Maybe the other concert was just way underpriced. If the tickets sell, that would suggest that people think the price is worth it. I bet it'll be a quick sellout, meaning if anything the prices are lower than they should be. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
      There is no Pearl Jam without Mike McCready's guitar, IMO. 

Truth
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Seems like $250 tickets are keeping a lot of whiney complainers out of the venue. Can't wait!
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • i'm with hank
    i hate everything
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,338
    mcgruff10 said:
    tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Well I must not love her that much because she didn’t go to the show! ;)
    Haha.  Same here.  We tried to get tickets for the Long Island show and got shut out.  We were ready to go early to the venue and line up for a possible ticket drop the day off but my daughter ended up having a swim meet.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    Just sell your used car that is worth $5k more than it was a year ago.
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 330
    edited December 2021
    Seems like $250 tickets are keeping a lot of whiney complainers out of the venue. Can't wait!
    If you are serious good post. If not, still a good post. This forum needs more differing views on topics.

Just to be clear. 250$ is too much in my opinion. At least it's an environmentally friendly tour. Not a lot of fuel will be used to truck/fly Eddie and his equipment between venues. Oh wait.... 
    Post edited by smile6680 on
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    Seems like $250 tickets are keeping a lot of whiney complainers out of the venue. Can't wait!

I just hope the audience will respect the performance this time around
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    I think it's funny that after all these years people still think that TM sets ticket prices.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,039
    Keep this up and there'll be a complainers fee
    I miss igotid88