Capitalism Sucks.

Comments

• deweildeweil Posts: 245
    igotid88 said:
    People need to temper expectations. Small venues. It’s gonna be really really hard to get tix. You are complaining about prices of things you probably can’t get in the first place
    That's another thing they'll complain about if the tickets were $40 and and they couldn't get in
    The threads complaining about not getting tickets will outnumber the threads complaining about ticket prices.
    Millions of people going for thousands of tickets. Do the math. You should go into this EXPECTING to lose
    millions? i don't think so. 

• If you want to spend $500 on a fancy restaurant with your spouse it’s your choice. Same for luxury cars. Same for five star hotels. Same for concert tickets. No one is forcing anyone to buy them. Of course $500 for a pair of EV/Earthlings tickets is too expensive and a bit ridiculous. But I just don’t get why people complain. Just don’t buy them and use your money on something else. 

I think it’s just the hypocrisy some people are tasting….
  • goblues82goblues82 Posts: 260
    edited December 2021
    dlymnfld said:
    If you want to spend $500 on a fancy restaurant with your spouse it’s your choice. Same for luxury cars. Same for five star hotels. Same for concert tickets. No one is forcing anyone to buy them. Of course $500 for a pair of EV/Earthlings tickets is too expensive and a bit ridiculous. But I just don’t get why people complain. Just don’t buy them and use your money on something else. 
    I agree. I’m not complaining just rather drop $500 on a destination show. People will pay and show will sell out. Is what it is. My brother has season tickets to Patriots for 25 years. We call his seats the stock market. No problem selling over cost during Brady years. This year he ate all four tickets to opening day against Dolphins because everyone thought they be bad and sold second game at half price. Now they are “good” again and he’s selling over cost. With everything, if there is value it will sell. 
    Sounds like a scalper who can’t scalp well.
  • deweil said:
    igotid88 said:
    People need to temper expectations. Small venues. It’s gonna be really really hard to get tix. You are complaining about prices of things you probably can’t get in the first place
    That's another thing they'll complain about if the tickets were $40 and and they couldn't get in
    The threads complaining about not getting tickets will outnumber the threads complaining about ticket prices.
    Millions of people going for thousands of tickets. Do the math. You should go into this EXPECTING to lose
    millions? i don't think so. 

You really think a million people are going for $230 Eddie VEDDER tickets to go check him out to play half a set of covers and the other half of Pearl Jam rejected album songs on a Tuesday night in February?

😂🤣

my prediction is the mid 40s gang buys the 4 ticket max and holds them all the way to show day just to waggle their wieners that they got tickets as some kind of degenerate social commodity then I buy them for $20 on stub hub the day of when the people they thought they were selling to also look on stub hub and see tickets are going for $20. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    I just copied and pasted a response to another thread regarding the same topic.  I replied to someone who calculated it would be $8 a day from now until his show for his ticket (???)  my response: 

And that is exactly what they're counting on.  I've seen PJ, seen Ed solo, numerous (MANY) times, no way would I pay that kind of money now.  I've never been disappointed but done shelling out the big $$.  I still have two tix to LA (2020) shows that have yet to be announced.  Until they announce the rescheduled shows, they won't get a penny from me.  But for those of you going for tickets, enjoy!  I remember being you, remember the excitement and anticipation.
  • I just copied and pasted a response to another thread regarding the same topic.  I replied to someone who calculated it would be $8 a day from now until his show for his ticket (???)  my response: 

And that is exactly what they're counting on.  I've seen PJ, seen Ed solo, numerous (MANY) times, no way would I pay that kind of money now.  I've never been disappointed but done shelling out the big $$.  I still have two tix to LA (2020) shows that have yet to be announced.  Until they announce the rescheduled shows, they won't get a penny from me.  But for those of you going for tickets, enjoy!  I remember being you, remember the excitement and anticipation.
    Yeah, that was me. The $8 was just $500/pair spread over 60 days. Part of my thinking in trying to secure these tickets is I’m not even sure at this point the May PJ tour will happen. Still regret not going to TOTD at MSG even though I had tickets. So I’ll take all the EV/PJ I can get. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    deweil said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Long Red said:
    igotid88 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Playing The Haves at these shows will be pretty comical.  These prices are nuts, even with the Earthlings in tow.  Sorry, but Ed is not McCartney, The Stones, etc.  Hopefully the rest of the band still has a say on Pearl Jam ticket prices, as they've done a great job keeping them reasonably priced to this point, in my opinion.  Ed solo, on the other hand, seems to be going a different direction.
    Exactly... I'm paying $180 to see Tool in February which is a lot I know, but at least I know what I'm getting, and I'm not convinced this isn't their last go around... $200+ for Eddie & the Earthlings supporting an album I haven't heard yet is more than a bit much. 
    But you guys complain when Pearl Jam charges $100. 
    I'd pay 100 without a second thought. But 500 for a pair seems wild to me. Maybe I just live in a different world lol
    Tickets for sea hear now were around $220 a day or $450 for the weekend.   Sure it s over two days but for the same price you are seeing Ed in a small ass venue. To each their own.  
    SHN wasn't that much unless you did vip. they were $200 plus fees a few days before, i think early bird was 100 or 150 for both days, then  dropped to $100 day of, and i got a free one last minute. 
    Sorry I meant for a pair.  My bad on that.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • I think $250/ticket (includes fees) is a ton of money. I don't care if you have a lot or barely any. I will be curious to see how people can spin this one.
    This would be the correct answer. 
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    If I was to go on a night out I might spend around £100 if not more on food, drinks, cabs etc. 
    If a concert means I dont have 5 nights out and that pays for the concert, then so be it. I know what would be more of a lasting memory
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Asking people to pay these types of prices while people are still holding on to tickets for a PJ tour that still hasn't been rescheduled yet...not cool.
    Clearly EV isn’t the hold up with COVID indoor venue concerns. It’s one of the other 4.
    Stone lol
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited December 2021
    And if the tickets were $75, the scalpers would be outside selling them for as much as they could get.

So why not let Eddie make that money?

(It's not that hard for a scalper to sell for above face, TM be damned.)
    Scalpers will be selling 250 tix for $500 plus easy...does that mean Eddie should charge $500 a ticket?  Then the scalpers would just charge $750-$1000
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    for my pocket this is very expensive price for a ticket..

however a few years back after i learn how industry works,how prices set,who pays who,who is in charge i realise that how is business works and why make sense the ticket prices 
    for example..a promoter wants to book eddie vedder at the theater in NY ..
    2880 capaccity..
    he needs to pay ev managments(that includes ev,promotion company  ,his crew,security,transfer gear,hotels for everyone,his band mates on this tour ,transportation ,tour manager etc)
    promoter needs to pay to book the venue.(crazy high to book Beacon Theatre for examble.)
    promoter needs to pay for promoton,adv,social media,rfadio station etc.
    ticket ventor takes a huge cut ..as i saw was 35 dollars per ticket,
    maybe he need to pay a third party has rights at the venue or some record lebel..
    all those deals needs legal team and all..he needs to pay all those..
    now add to that like 10% of the ticket price is taxes for the state..

and most of all,,he doesnt work for the fans,.,promoter works for profit..to make money.,,which he deserves cos he paid upfront all the cost and he gets back money only from ticket sales.
    so for a 235 ticket...,35 gets to ticxket master,,20 gets to taxes,add now how much the venue gets from that,all the money for promotion,legal,radios,social media,etc..
    the artist management  payment,,
    so..2880 x 235 =676.800 is the money of tickets sold..
    ticketmaster cut is  2880x 35 fees = ....100.800.....
    now go fugure how to book the venue costs..in the center of NY...crazy money..
    taxes are 20 x 2880 = 57.600

so if u add all the cost he needs to pay will go up to half a mil....well..for sure he will not put 500.000 dollars down to get back 1000 dollars profit..
    this is how things are in business..

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • desolatejoydesolatejoy London Posts: 224
    Asking people to pay these types of prices while people are still holding on to tickets for a PJ tour that still hasn't been rescheduled yet...not cool.
    Clearly EV isn’t the hold up with COVID indoor venue concerns. It’s one of the other 4.
    I’d imagine the guy with the lifelong illness & possible higher susceptibility to COVID might have something to say 😉
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...

however a few years back after i learn how industry works,how prices set,who pays who,who is in charge i realise that how is business works and why make sense the ticket prices 
    2880 capaccity..
    he needs to pay ev managments(that includes ev,promotion company  ,his crew,security,transfer gear,hotels for everyone,his band mates on this tour ,transportation ,tour manager etc)
    promoter needs to pay to book the venue.(crazy high to book Beacon Theatre for examble.)
    maybe he need to pay a third party has rights at the venue or some record lebel..

and most of all,,he doesnt work for the fans,.,promoter works for profit..to make money.,,which he deserves cos he paid upfront all the cost and he gets back money only from ticket sales.
    so for a 235 ticket...,35 gets to ticxket master,,20 gets to taxes,add now how much the venue gets from that,all the money for promotion,legal,radios,social media,etc..

so if u add all the cost he needs to pay will go up to half a mil....well..for sure he will not put 500.000 dollars down to get back 1000 dollars profit..

oh add to all this the cost of  insurance companies,,cos those are crazy money now woth covid,in case of postpone or cancel..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    That all makes sense demitris but 26 years ago he spoke out against high ticket prices and we have to hold musicians to their words, no matter what changes in their industry.  You? Me? Politicians? Nah but musicians yes.
    I am still not over Ian taking prices off the Dischord record covers, what a sellout.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

2880 capaccity..

oh add to all this the cost of  insurance companies,,cos those are crazy money now woth covid,in case of postpone or cancel..

As an insurance professional, I can attest to this

Commercial insurance rates have gone up for everyone (yes, them too)

The cost of doing business has increased significantly the last couple years, and will have an effect on the way business is done for the foreseeable future
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    apirk72 said:
    That all makes sense demitris but 26 years ago he spoke out against high ticket prices and we have to hold musicians to their words, no matter what changes in their industry.  You? Me? Politicians? Nah but musicians yes.
    I am still not over Ian taking prices off the Dischord record covers, what a sellout.
     i wrote down number so u understand...
    for the show in NY...ticketmaster get 100.000 for fees!!!do u realise the number?
    if for one night ,,they get 100.000...cos they are the online ticket ventor  to buy tix,,
    so if ticketmaster gets that money for one night...how much the artist,his band ,his crew and all those people should get paid ?its crazy when u put number down 
    CM189191 said:

2880 capaccity..

The cost of doing business has increased significantly the last couple years, and will have an effect on the way business is done for the foreseeable future
     yep
  • CM189191 said:

2880 capaccity..

Inflation has been notable.  Each year PNC Bank does a fun analysis of how much it costs to purchase the items from the "12 days of Christmas" song and you see how prices increase over time.  They've been doing it for more than a couple decades and you can see previous assessments.

All that being said.  The price of these tickets means I do have to go solo instead of bringing the wife or friend. I'm glad you can get single tickets through the sale as a result otherwise I would not touch this. With any luck, I look forward to enjoying a night of music from one of our favorite singers and an all star band,  either masked or not (this really doesn't bother me whatsoever) in accordance with guidance, and having a beer with ANYBODY that is able to go.  

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    apirk72 said:
    26 years ago I swore that I was marrying my high school sweetheart.  Point being, 26 years is an eternity, people change.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    mcgruff10 said:
    apirk72 said:
    26 years ago I swore that I was marrying my high school sweetheart.  Point being, 26 years is an eternity, people change.  
    Dude, mic drop right here. *Do people still use that term? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    apirk72 said:
    Agree fully.  I couldn't care less about what someone said 3 decades ago.  On the flip side, this is also a guy that to this day writes songs and talks frequently about greed, "The Haves" and the like.  Something is just a bit off.  These ticket prices are high, but I'm not concerned about what 30 year old Ed said by any means, and I'm certainly not ignorant enough to think this is not a business first.  I still may go.  Just think it's a lot of dough when I can see PJ for half the price, who is light years ahead of EV and the Earthlings for my money.

• $250 a ticket is very disappointing imo. I’m a NYer and I can attest to NY being crazy expensive but it’s still a LOT of money for a ticket. Nevertheless I haven’t been to a PJ related show since Fenway ‘18 so I’ll be trying for tickets one way or the other. Good on 10C for finally allowing single tickets because at that price I may very well have to go solo. The wife already gave me “the look” when I told her about the price.
  • TC282314TC282314 Posts: 378
    Everyone wants to see Ed or PJ in a small venue. These are small venue prices. 
  • RD81760RD81760 Posts: 122
    The "lower" priced ticked with fees is $216 I dont disagree that is high, but I went out to dinner with my wife for $205 at a local restaurant with 3 drinks . Its entertainment for about 2 hour... if its not your cup of tea I get... it but all the complaining, sheesh
  • mcgruff10 said:
    apirk72 said:
    Yeah people change. But isn't this changing for the worse? Eddie seems to have gone from "I want to share my music with everyone at an affordable price" to "I can take these idiots for all they're worth." 

I posted this in the EV solo tour thread. But it's worth repeating. Here's Ed in Spin Magazine in 1995 talking about how it's a "frightening thought" to change your audience by overpricing. 

In that same interview, he criticizes the band "Spin Doctors" for having their tour sponsored by VANS. Remember the giant Verizon screens for PJ's 2008 tour? Or Backspacer being exclusive to Target stores? I guess when your records are flying off the shelves like they were in 1995, you can look down your nose at lesser bands looking for ways to make some money. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Just to note, I tried looking at my order history to see how much 2 tix yo EV in NYC were last time I saw him in ‘08. Unfortunately my order history stops in 2013, probably when they updated. But I did see that in 2018, 2 tickets to BOTH shows at Fenway was less than a pair of tickets to a single EV show. $494 for 4 tickets to a 3hr+ PJ show.  I understand less dates, smaller venue, inflation, etc, but that’s still nuts imo
  • Just to note, I tried looking at my order history to see how much 2 tix yo EV in NYC were last time I saw him in ‘08. Unfortunately my order history stops in 2013, probably when they updated. But I did see that in 2018, 2 tickets to BOTH shows at Fenway was less than a pair of tickets to a single EV show. $494 for 4 tickets to a 3hr+ PJ show.  I understand less dates, smaller venue, inflation, etc, but that’s still nuts imo
    I don't understand those things I bolded. Nick Mason of Pink Floyd is playing the Beacon Theatre in New York as well (in January). You can get tickets as low as $66. Listen to his Live At The Roadhouse live album. He has a terrific band and better catalog of songs (in my opinion) than whatever the "Earthlings" will be playing. So why is Eddie's show $200 more than Mason's? You can say that Eddie is a front man, and Mason is a drummer, so there will be more demand for Eddie. But as far as venue size and inflation goes, there's no reason Eddie needs to charge so much more. He wants to...but he doesn't need to. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • TC282314TC282314 Posts: 378
    Fenway brings in almost 5million at $125 a ticket. Beacon theater brings in like 700k at $250 a ticket. Then everyone else gets their piece. It’s where we are. 
  • PJamminPJammin Posts: 567
    Eddie is giving us first shot at the best seats in the house for $200. The absolute best seats available for $200!!! If you look at the price chart there are two additional color coded seat sections. I can only surmise that those sections will be cheaper. I would even venture to guess some would be significantly cheaper than $200. I spent some time on the Auditorium Theater and Ticketmaster sites yesterday just looking at prices for shows at these venues and this is what the going price is for a show for damn near every performance there. It sucks but it is. It's $219 for a pit tickets to watch Shin Lim do card tricks. You want to catch String Cheese Incident (personally I'd rather slam my junk in a car door), it's $100+ to sit in the balcony. It sucks that it's this expensive....but it is. I'm with ya Biggs, there is definitely a value component in play here knowing we've got full band shows for half the price in our back pockets. I don't think you'll find me dropping that kind of money on a school night in February but holding out hope those cheaper tickets make this a more viable option to consider.