Capitalism Sucks.

Comments

• $250 for a ticket is definitely a lot of money but I would argue that this price is probably market rate (perhaps even less) to see a premier act in a small venue in one of the biggest cities in the world (using NYC or Chi in this example) where demand will be overwhelmingly high. If the show was at a 30,000 seat baseball stadium I doubt tickets would be $250. I also think the frustration is in part because Pearl Jam ticket prices have been far below what they could be charging and still selling out shows without any issue.
  • On another note, some of the people complaining about the ticket prices (my friends included!) will have no issue dropping $200 on merchandise at the show.
  • If you want to spend $500 on a fancy restaurant with your spouse it’s your choice. Same for luxury cars. Same for five star hotels. Same for concert tickets. No one is forcing anyone to buy them. Of course $500 for a pair of EV/Earthlings tickets is too expensive and a bit ridiculous. But I just don’t get why people complain. Just don’t buy them and use your money on something else. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    $250 for a ticket is definitely a lot of money but I would argue that this price is probably market rate (perhaps even less) to see a premier act in a small venue in one of the biggest cities in the world (using NYC or Chi in this example) where demand will be overwhelmingly high. If the show was at a 30,000 seat baseball stadium I doubt tickets would be $250. I also think the frustration is in part because Pearl Jam ticket prices have been far below what they could be charging and still selling out shows without any issue.

Yep, this is what I was thinking

You can pay the venue and the band

Or you can pay the scalpers

Either way, you're gonna pay
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    PJ_Soul said:
    apirk72 said:
    Maybe this is the cost for being able to have access to almost every album ever for like $10 a month

Yup.
    and yup. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    If a lot of people are complaining now about ticket prices wait till these shows sell out in seconds and hardly anyone on here gets tickets.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,039
    bbiggs said:
    Playing The Haves at these shows will be pretty comical.  These prices are nuts, even with the Earthlings in tow.  Sorry, but Ed is not McCartney, The Stones, etc.  Hopefully the rest of the band still has a say on Pearl Jam ticket prices, as they've done a great job keeping them reasonably priced to this point, in my opinion.  Ed solo, on the other hand, seems to be going a different direction.
    Exactly... I'm paying $180 to see Tool in February which is a lot I know, but at least I know what I'm getting, and I'm not convinced this isn't their last go around... $200+ for Eddie & the Earthlings supporting an album I haven't heard yet is more than a bit much. 
    But you guys complain when Pearl Jam charges $100. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    igotid88 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Playing The Haves at these shows will be pretty comical.  These prices are nuts, even with the Earthlings in tow.  Sorry, but Ed is not McCartney, The Stones, etc.  Hopefully the rest of the band still has a say on Pearl Jam ticket prices, as they've done a great job keeping them reasonably priced to this point, in my opinion.  Ed solo, on the other hand, seems to be going a different direction.
    Exactly... I'm paying $180 to see Tool in February which is a lot I know, but at least I know what I'm getting, and I'm not convinced this isn't their last go around... $200+ for Eddie & the Earthlings supporting an album I haven't heard yet is more than a bit much. 
    I'd pay 100 without a second thought. But 500 for a pair seems wild to me. Maybe I just live in a different world lol
    Yes it is high. The way I see it is he's only playing 8 shows. If it was 30 shows or more. Maybe they would be a bit cheaper. Less seats since it's a theater tour. Now if you compare to some other solo artists who are playing arenas and charging the same or higher prices.
    He also has an opener. 

I miss igotid88
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    Long Red said:
    igotid88 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I'd pay 100 without a second thought. But 500 for a pair seems wild to me. Maybe I just live in a different world lol
    Tickets for sea hear now were around $220 a day or $450 for the weekend.   Sure it s over two days but for the same price you are seeing Ed in a small ass venue. To each their own.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    If you want to spend $500 on a fancy restaurant with your spouse it’s your choice. Same for luxury cars. Same for five star hotels. Same for concert tickets. No one is forcing anyone to buy them. Of course $500 for a pair of EV/Earthlings tickets is too expensive and a bit ridiculous. But I just don’t get why people complain. Just don’t buy them and use your money on something else. 
    I agree. I’m not complaining just rather drop $500 on a destination show. People will pay and show will sell out. Is what it is. My brother has season tickets to Patriots for 25 years. We call his seats the stock market. No problem selling over cost during Brady years. This year he ate all four tickets to opening day against Dolphins because everyone thought they be bad and sold second game at half price. Now they are “good” again and he’s selling over cost. With everything, if there is value it will sell. 
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 338
    Complaining is a problem now? You may want to mention that to Eddie.
    Complaining is a problem now? You may want to mention that to Eddie.
    You must be new here. People here always complain 
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    bbiggs said:

I don’t think I’ve ever once complained about the cost of 10C tickets, even after paying around $120 for each Fenway show in 2018 (a venue I hate for concerts)… if anything I think I was grateful that they had at least kept prices just under $100 through 2016… I’ve always felt 10C tickets were reasonably priced, especially considering the shows they put on, but please, don’t let that stop you from telling me what I’ve complained about. 

FWIW I fully expect to pay upwards of $200 to see PJ again,(hopefully not more) probably at a venue I hate, and I’ll do it, at least once more because they’re one of my favorite bands of all time. (As is Tool)

I get that this is a limited number of dates at small venues, I’ve seen Ed in similar venues as well as TOTD, I just don’t think this lineup is worth the price tag. Others may disagree, more power to them. It’s not my intention to rain on anyone’s parade. 

Good luck to those going for tickets. 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 533
    I would also point out that it is not only up to the artist to set prices... or who they fall in love with.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    the going rate.....Ed used to fight this kind of insanity.  So now he is in the 1% group he rails against as if he is a man of the people.  He makes his concerts accessible to only those with a lot of cash.....amazing how age makes you what you once despised.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,170
    Asking people to pay these types of prices while people are still holding on to tickets for a PJ tour that still hasn't been rescheduled yet...not cool.
    Clearly EV isn’t the hold up with COVID indoor venue concerns. It’s one of the other 4.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 338
    hrd2imgn said:
    the going rate.....Ed used to fight this kind of insanity.  So now he is in the 1% group he rails against as if he is a man of the people.  He makes his concerts accessible to only those with a lot of cash.....amazing how age makes you what you once despised.

The sheep refer to this as "evolving".
  • edited December 2021
    Asking people to pay these types of prices while people are still holding on to tickets for a PJ tour that still hasn't been rescheduled yet...not cool.
    Clearly EV isn’t the hold up with COVID indoor venue concerns. It’s one of the other 4.
    Maybe mike since he has crohns? My bil has crohns also but he isn’t part of the immunocompromised whereas another friend of mine is
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    Maybe mike since he has crohns? My bil has crohns also but he isn’t part of the immunocompromised whereas another friend of mine is
    It depends on the medication being taken for it. I have Crohn’s as well and after surgery I have been in remission since 1993. I have not taken any medication for it in years. So I am not considered immune compromised. However, when I first got it I was on prednisone which does compromise the immune system. I know these days they have other medications as well. So I guess it depends if Mike is on any and what he taking. 
    edited December 2021
    hrd2imgn said:
    At one point their fans were between 12-23 making little money. Most of them are in their 40s and 50s. If they're not making enough for one show.  It's not his fault.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • People need to temper expectations. Small venues. It’s gonna be really really hard to get tix. You are complaining about prices of things you probably can’t get in the first place
    People need to temper expectations. Small venues. It’s gonna be really really hard to get tix. You are complaining about prices of things you probably can’t get in the first place
    That's another thing they'll complain about if the tickets were $40 and and they couldn't get in
    I miss igotid88
  • And if the tickets were $75, the scalpers would be outside selling them for as much as they could get.

So why not let Eddie make that money?

(It's not that hard for a scalper to sell for above face, TM be damned.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    igotid88 said:
    People need to temper expectations. Small venues. It’s gonna be really really hard to get tix. You are complaining about prices of things you probably can’t get in the first place
    That's another thing they'll complain about if the tickets were $40 and and they couldn't get in
    The threads complaining about not getting tickets will outnumber the threads complaining about ticket prices.
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,740
    edited December 2021
    igotid88 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    At one point there fans were between 12-23 making little money. Most of them are in their 40s and 50s. If they're not making enough for one show.  It's not his fault.
    Preach the truth. These tickets aren’t for high schoolers and college kids. I couldn’t afford the Stones in high school but I could see 8 PJ shows.
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • igotid88 said:
    The threads complaining about not getting tickets will outnumber the threads complaining about ticket prices.
    Millions of people going for thousands of tickets. Do the math. You should go into this EXPECTING to lose
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    edited December 2021
    I can’t make the trip so the prices don’t mean too much to me.  

If you don’t like the price then maybe don't go?  
    You simply weigh experience vs price.  

Kind of like “Do I buy tickets to the playoff
    game or do I watch on TV?”   Whats the difference?   Lol 
    igotid88 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    At one point there fans were between 12-23 making little money. Most of them are in their 40s and 50s. If they're not making enough for one show.  It's not his fault.
    Preach the truth. These tickets aren’t for high schoolers and college kids. I couldn’t afford the Stones in high school but I could see 8 PJ shows.
    *their. Had to correct myself 
    I miss igotid88
  • deweildeweil Posts: 245
    mcgruff10 said:
    Long Red said:
    igotid88 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Tickets for sea hear now were around $220 a day or $450 for the weekend.   Sure it s over two days but for the same price you are seeing Ed in a small ass venue. To each their own.  
    SHN wasn't that much unless you did vip. they were $200 plus fees a few days before, i think early bird was 100 or 150 for both days, then  dropped to $100 day of, and i got a free one last minute.