Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Man, CBC REALLY doesn’t want us talking about the J&J vaccine, which is weird because 3 provinces think it would help address some of the concerns of the hesitant.
    What makes you say that?
    Trying to make a post on the article about O’Toole and vaccines, took 3 attempts, all deactivated. Essentially only making the point that including J&J in the discussion would be helpful. Admittedly my first attempt editorialized a bit, second lacked a tiny bit of context, I see no problem with my third attempt (maybe I’ll go back for screenshots, lol).

The real problem comes when compared to what is allowed to stand. My comment correcting someone on the delay between doses in the initial rollout seems to still be there so it was factual enough? The person was making it sound like the delay was justified at the time, even though there was zero science behind the tactic. We got lucky with the outcome, in my opinion.

Edit to add: Can’t see anything offside with these (I’d need to wade through 1000+ posts to find my first attempt, sorry). Not sure why it put the pics at the top, lol.

Also, the CBC does have articles about the J&J shot, so maybe try commenting on that one instead?
    We weren’t allowed to comment on the article about the 20,000 doses of J&J, if I recall correctly. The CBC is actually kind of a joke when it comes to what stories allow comments. I was floored they allowed comments on the story about raising the flags the other day (FN stories usually don’t allow comments), but very quickly all comments seemed to shut down for a time and the comments for that story remain invisible.

Interesting. I never even bother to read the comments so I wasn't aware that some stories allow comments and some don't. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Man, CBC REALLY doesn’t want us talking about the J&J vaccine, which is weird because 3 provinces think it would help address some of the concerns of the hesitant.
    What makes you say that?
    Trying to make a post on the article about O’Toole and vaccines, took 3 attempts, all deactivated. Essentially only making the point that including J&J in the discussion would be helpful. Admittedly my first attempt editorialized a bit, second lacked a tiny bit of context, I see no problem with my third attempt (maybe I’ll go back for screenshots, lol).

The real problem comes when compared to what is allowed to stand. My comment correcting someone on the delay between doses in the initial rollout seems to still be there so it was factual enough? The person was making it sound like the delay was justified at the time, even though there was zero science behind the tactic. We got lucky with the outcome, in my opinion.

Edit to add: Can’t see anything offside with these (I’d need to wade through 1000+ posts to find my first attempt, sorry). Not sure why it put the pics at the top, lol.

Also, the CBC does have articles about the J&J shot, so maybe try commenting on that one instead?
    We weren’t allowed to comment on the article about the 20,000 doses of J&J, if I recall correctly. The CBC is actually kind of a joke when it comes to what stories allow comments. I was floored they allowed comments on the story about raising the flags the other day (FN stories usually don’t allow comments), but very quickly all comments seemed to shut down for a time and the comments for that story remain invisible.

Interesting. I never even bother to read the comments so I wasn't aware that some stories allow comments and some don't. 

And I do see the absurdity of coming on a chat forum to comment about how commenting works on another site, lol. I've been saying for a while life has become a Monty Python sketch and admit I qualify as an example myself,  lol.  (Not sure why I couldn't post outside the quote,  lol. )
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    That 1.4 billion wasted at cbc.  The cbc should be defunded and sold..or better yet turn the network in to Canada’s pbs.  Make them fund raise...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    What makes you say that?

And I do see the absurdity of coming on a chat forum to comment about how commenting works on another site, lol. I've been saying for a while life has become a Monty Python sketch and admit I qualify as an example myself,  lol.  (Not sure why I couldn't post outside the quote,  lol. )

Think outside the box, Darth! :lol: 

BC will be getting some doses of J&J next week and plans to offer them first to unvaccinated health care workers. We have less than 2% unvaccinated but, given the stresses in the system, losing anybody causes problems. About 3,000 remain unvaccinated and on unpaid leave and a chunk of them have said that they will accept the J&J. 
    That 1.4 billion wasted at cbc.  The cbc should be defunded and sold..or better yet turn the network in to Canada’s pbs.  Make them fund raise...

What's your rationale for this?

The CBC is consistently assessed as highly factual. It provides local radio coverage in communities large and small across the country. It provides programming in English, French and eight Indigenous languages, something one would think you would be in support of. It supports emerging Canadian artists, including a large focus on Indigenous creators, and employs about 7,000 people. The last poll that I could find showed that 48% of Canadian favour increasing funding to the CBC, 33% favour leaving it as is, and only 17% favour reducing it. Presumably a smaller amount than 17% favour getting rid of it entirely. 
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675

What's your rationale for this?

The CBC is consistently assessed as highly factual. It provides local radio coverage in communities large and small across the country. It provides programming in English, French and eight Indigenous languages, something one would think you would be in support of. It supports emerging Canadian artists, including a large focus on Indigenous creators, and employs about 7,000 people. The last poll that I could find showed that 48% of Canadian favour increasing funding to the CBC, 33% favour leaving it as is, and only 17% favour reducing it. Presumably a smaller amount than 17% favour getting rid of it entirely. 
    Let's not forget that because of CBC Gem, I can stream Portlandia absolutely free of charge.  :) 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    edited November 2021
    Here’s hoping the “suspicious package” that delayed the national ceremony today was something innocuous not sinister.

Edit to add https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/suspicious-package-delayed-ottawa-remembrance-day-ceremony-rcmp-1.5661787
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

Disgusting. And I don’t discount the possibility that it was actually done by an anti-vaxxer. Whoever did it needs to be found and charged.

Disgusting. And I don’t discount the possibility that it was actually done by an anti-vaxxer. Whoever did it needs to be found and charged.
    BC had a rash of problems with or at the ceremonies yesterday. The Kelowna ceremony was interrupted by anti-vaxx protestors shouting. There was quite a confrontation from the sounds of it. 
    edited November 2021
    BC had a rash of problems with or at the ceremonies yesterday. The Kelowna ceremony was interrupted by anti-vaxx protestors shouting. There was quite a confrontation from the sounds of it. 
    Seeing headlines, just sad. I hope my unvaccinated cousins in (nearby) Vernon weren’t a part of the Kelowna disruption.

All sides need to remember there’s an appropriate time and place for all things…and equally inappropriate times as well.

Edit to add CBC’s story (damn paywalls, lol).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/remembrance-day-vaccine-mandates-protest-kelowna-bc-1.6246356

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

I would actually put money on it being an anti-vaxxer.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    What makes you say that?

if you backspace your entire text, it traps you in the quote. I just refresh and start over so it doesn't do that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    There's no bread, eggs, meat, or produce here since our highways have been cut from the mainland this week. Those items are like 2020 toilet paper.

After covid, fires, floods, and mudslides somehow gotta keep the sh!t from affecting the kid! Thank-PJ she got some music in this year!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    tish said:
    There's no bread, eggs, meat, or produce here since our highways have been cut from the mainland this week. Those items are like 2020 toilet paper.

After covid, fires, floods, and mudslides somehow gotta keep the sh!t from affecting the kid! Thank-PJ she got some music in this year!

That really really sucks, I'm sorry. Where are you? Which highway needs to open for you to get goods again?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited November 2021
    Any of them, lol. All 4 routes in are hooped.They should have a crappy route up by Monday.

The goddamn airlines jacked fees up the Ying yang, too, for this travel route!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    I have been told by two people at work today that there is a “gas shortage” on the Island. I suspect it’s mostly panic buying but not really sure yet. Luckily I commute by bike or foot and don’t really need my car for any long trips in the next while but damn, the bad news really keeps coming these days. 

I was in Tofino over the weekend and was lucky enough to get back to Victoria Sunday night after a terrible, terrifying drive on flooded roads. The next day they shut the highway due to flooding and washouts. I’m just grateful I got home.

I have not tried to go to the grocery store yet. Not sure how that will look since I think that most of our goods come into port in Nanaimo rather than Victoria. 

flew home from vancouver on Monday morning. lucky to get to our plane on time. so many of the roads were closed or blocked by accidents. got to the gate 5 minutes prior to boarding. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

^Happy n safe travels! Glad you made your ride!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I have been told by two people at work today that there is a “gas shortage” on the Island. I suspect it’s mostly panic buying but not really sure yet. Luckily I commute by bike or foot and don’t really need my car for any long trips in the next while but damn, the bad news really keeps coming these days. 

I was in Tofino over the weekend and was lucky enough to get back to Victoria Sunday night after a terrible, terrifying drive on flooded roads. The next day they shut the highway due to flooding and washouts. I’m just grateful I got home.

I have not tried to go to the grocery store yet. Not sure how that will look since I think that most of our goods come into port in Nanaimo rather than Victoria. 

That was crazy today.  As far as I know there's plenty of fuel up up island, it's that the tankers are having a hard time getting over the malahat.  Then the media and everyone started on face book posted about a short, causing panic, and lots of people went to the pumps to lineup.

Similar to you I don't use Ranger all that much.  I bus downtown to get to work.  Truck gets use for chores and recreation on the weekend.  Sometimes I'll go a month without needing a fill.

It's crazy seeing all the people that just need their gas, and/or really need to travel over the malahat... sigh...
    Biden said Trudeau “is the easiest relationship he has.” My Labrador is the easiest relationship I have.  Biden thinks Trudeau is a lapdog…which he is.  Biden says jump, and the idiot ask how high.

Trudeau says “it is unfair Canadians pay a carbo tax while most of the world doesn’t…”just more proof that we truly elect the dumbest to lead.

Horgan is ramming through pipelines and protestors getting arrested.  Horgan allowing clear cutting of old growth forest.

Horgan and Trudeau’s slow response times to BC floods…more proof the dumb are chosen to lead.

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited November 2021
    This policy has never made any sense to me, either during the Trump years and now Biden. It definitely gives a window into this federal government’s views on law and order though (always to be trumped by virtue signalling obviously).

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trudeau-puts-out-the-welcome-mat-at-roxham-rd

Edited because I can be an idiot.

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    What understanding, genuine leadership this policy illustrates! Maybe it can be legislated…in fucking November (end of the month for a couple weeks before Christmas vacation!). So much for an “urgent” need for the election, Trudeau played enough people for fools and almost got away with it (thank God he was held to a minority!). (Sarcasm fully engaged throughout most of this post.)

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trudeau-liberals-are-petty-in-denying-ei-to-unvaccinated
    I don’t actually have a problem with people not getting EI if they refuse to be vaccinated and then lose their job. They have a safe and easy option that protects them and society if they want to keep their jobs. 
    What a disturbing comment.   
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Nami said:
    What understanding, genuine leadership this policy illustrates! Maybe it can be legislated…in fucking November (end of the month for a couple weeks before Christmas vacation!). So much for an “urgent” need for the election, Trudeau played enough people for fools and almost got away with it (thank God he was held to a minority!). (Sarcasm fully engaged throughout most of this post.)

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trudeau-liberals-are-petty-in-denying-ei-to-unvaccinated
    I don’t actually have a problem with people not getting EI if they refuse to be vaccinated and then lose their job. They have a safe and easy option that protects them and society if they want to keep their jobs. 

Really? How so?

I work in health care and I am out of patience with anti-vaxxers. I have no patience left for those who have been perpetuating this pandemic, for those who are causing massive strain in the health care system because they refuse this protection, for those who harass and threaten my colleagues, for those who stand outside hospitals and block entry of emergency vehicles as they protest, for those who complain about having to take a simple measure that protects themselves and their coworkers and clients/patients in order to remain at work. I am not advocating for people to be forcibly vaccinated but if their job requires vaccination and they refuse then I have no issue with them losing that job. Not sure what you find so disturbing about that. 
    That was not the original comment.  Your original comment is people should not receive EI…a system that is not supported  by government, it is run by government…but as long as someone qualifies I’m ok with them receiving EI…and quitting your job generally is not a hard and fast rule that is followed…thankfully your in healthcare and not an EI agent.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Nami said:

Really? How so?

I work in health care and I am out of patience with anti-vaxxers. I have no patience left for those who have been perpetuating this pandemic, for those who are causing massive strain in the health care system because they refuse this protection, for those who harass and threaten my colleagues, for those who stand outside hospitals and block entry of emergency vehicles as they protest, for those who complain about having to take a simple measure that protects themselves and their coworkers and clients/patients in order to remain at work. I am not advocating for people to be forcibly vaccinated but if their job requires vaccination and they refuse then I have no issue with them losing that job. Not sure what you find so disturbing about that. 
    Let me start by saying I'm vaccinated.  I'm also a firm believer in that everyone has their right to do as they see fit with their body.  I find it disturbing that if you take away ones meaning of employment, mandating vaccination, then you strip they away from means of survival, in this case EI... eventually welfare if possible, there's nothing wrong with that?  

I work in the public sector, office setting, and we were all mandated by mid November to have the shot.  I had mine completed in October.  If we did not comply we lose our job/pay.  I'm fortunate to say that it's a position that I can work from home as well.  people were still mandated to get shot if working from home.  

Now, strip away EI, then what? 

Typing from cell, it's a pain.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    That was not the original comment.  Your original comment is people should not receive EI…a system that is not supported  by government, it is run by government…but as long as someone qualifies I’m ok with them receiving EI…and quitting your job generally is not a hard and fast rule that is followed…thankfully your in healthcare and not an EI agent.

Okay, to clarify further then I don't have an issue with people who refuse to be vaccinated when it is a workplace requirement losing their job and not getting EI. I figured that would be assumed from the comment. 

To your second point, if someone loses their job because they won't fulfill a workplace requirement then it's my understanding that they are not eligible for EI. 

And I am also thankful I am in healthcare, though not for the same reasons you are. 

Okay, to clarify further then I don't have an issue with people who refuse to be vaccinated when it is a workplace requirement losing their job and not getting EI. I figured that would be assumed from the comment. 

To your second point, if someone loses their job because they won't fulfill a workplace requirement then it's my understanding that they are not eligible for EI. 

And I am also thankful I am in healthcare, though not for the same reasons you are. 
    agreed. and I understood your original post as such. 

we'd have the same requirements in place for polio, mumps, rubella, etc, if they weren't first mandated to attend public school. nearly no one was against that at the time. we knew it was the right thing to do to protect ourselves and everyone else. I don't see anyone here raging about those. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

If you got a problem with protestors contact your police.  I believe Trudeau was going to do something about these protestors…you know he needed 2 months off.

Most jobless aren’t protesting…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    If you got a problem with protestors contact your police.  I believe Trudeau was going to do something about these protestors…you know he needed 2 months off.

Most jobless aren’t protesting…
    Done

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberals-sick-pay-intimidation-health-care-1.6264441