Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    My son tested positive today after being infected last Saturday at small gathering of 8 friend's! I car pooled with him Tuesday Thursday & Friday, he has both shots not the booster I have all three headed to get tested later this afternoon..
    Oh man. I hope his symptoms remain mild.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    mfc2006 said:
    My son tested positive today after being infected last Saturday at small gathering of 8 friend's! I car pooled with him Tuesday Thursday & Friday, he has both shots not the booster I have all three headed to get tested later this afternoon..
    Oh man. I hope his symptoms remain mild.
    Last night he felt it sweating chills headache today he was able to get to clinic for rapid test that confirmed positive results. Thanks 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    GlowGirl said:
    Sorry to hear that. I hope his symptoms are mild, and that you stay negative.

Thanks that incubation period can really be deceiving! He got tested Tuesday morning did both rapid & pcr test rapid came back negative the other result just got to him today but he started feeling symptoms Thursday night and this morning he felt sick slight fever loss of sense of smell went got tested this morning he came back positive! 

I hope he feels better very soon, Jose, and that the rest of the family stays well.

This is a perfect example of the problems of testing too early. Ideally testing occurs about 4-7 (or CDC says 5-7) days post-exposure if the person remains asymptomatic. If you test two days after and while asymptomatic there just isn't enough virus around to reliably pick it up and the false negative rate is high. It's probably not worth doing a test before about 4 days after a known exposure. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Good thoughts from here, jose. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Sorry to hear that. I hope his symptoms are mild, and that you stay negative.

Thanks that incubation period can really be deceiving! He got tested Tuesday morning did both rapid & pcr test rapid came back negative the other result just got to him today but he started feeling symptoms Thursday night and this morning he felt sick slight fever loss of sense of smell went got tested this morning he came back positive! 

I hope he feels better very soon, Jose, and that the rest of the family stays well.

This is a perfect example of the problems of testing too early. Ideally testing occurs about 4-7 (or CDC says 5-7) days post-exposure if the person remains asymptomatic. If you test two days after and while asymptomatic there just isn't enough virus around to reliably pick it up and the false negative rate is high. It's probably not worth doing a test before about 4 days after a known exposure. 
    Yep that seems like the case, thanks 
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    hedonist said:
    Good thoughts from here, jose. 
    ditto
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Hope everyone in your house has a quick recovery, Jose. 

Just got my booster & flu shots. Couch day is already scheduled for tomorrow. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Booster and flu shots today as well. 
    Rapid results negative! No symptoms.
    thanks folks 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Man when will this end my oldest attended a small gathering in Brooklyn last weekend and someone infected the whole party! He’s feeling effects of bad cold tested negative on Rapid test and is waiting for the results of PCR test, he is fully vaccinated except for the booster shot and just got the regular flu shot on Monday, what a mess..
    The sad thing I heard recently from someone I trust…they truly believed we’d been dealing with endemic and epidemics well into 2025. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    The pcr test that was done on Tuesday came back negative..
    Good deal. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    Canada aporoves Pfizer for 5-11 kids

Still can't dig up much data on what's happening with thus group state-side.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    Have I got this right?

Presently, at land border Canadians don't need covid-testing to enter the US and can return without testing in 72 hours or less?

So quick driving trips across the line to shows don't cost more in testing than the shows? Yay.
    tish said:
    Have I got this right?

Presently, at land border Canadians don't need covid-testing to enter the US and can return without testing in 72 hours or less?

So quick driving trips across the line to shows don't cost more in testing than the shows? Yay.
    The change to border requirements returning to Canada start November 30, but otherwise yes. 
    The pcr test that was done on Tuesday came back negative..
    Good deal. 
    He ended testing positive yesterday morning after having a night of symptoms so now he’s quarantined in his apartment for the next 8 days..
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    tish said:
    Have I got this right?

The change to border requirements returning to Canada start November 30, but otherwise yes. 
    if they keep this at 72 hours into May I'll have to cut my Seattle stay a bit shorter than I wanted, but I'm not interested in shelling out hundreds for tests. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    tish said:
    Have I got this right?

if they keep this at 72 hours into May I'll have to cut my Seattle stay a bit shorter than I wanted, but I'm not interested in shelling out hundreds for tests. 
    testing is still free I believe.

was at an urgent care for my medical card physical as required to drive commercially and a non-citizen came in for pcr test to leave the country and was concerned he had to pay, tgey said he didnt...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mickeyrat said:
    tish said:
    Have I got this right?

testing is still free I believe.

was at an urgent care for my medical card physical as required to drive commercially and a non-citizen came in for pcr test to leave the country and was concerned he had to pay, tgey said he didnt...

not for rapid tests I don't think. I read a load of stories of canadians going to ohana and spending hundreds on at least two tests. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It really depends on where you are traveling from. Some states have free PCR testing for everyone, no questions asked, in an effort to lower barriers to testing. Some make you pay if you are not a residenr, some places might wave the rules at times. 
    edited November 2021
    It really depends on where you are traveling from. Some states have free PCR testing for everyone, no questions asked, in an effort to lower barriers to testing. Some make you pay if you are not a residenr, some places might wave the rules at times. 
    ohio covers all testing at state testing sites. bills medicaid or ins as applicable,  eats the cost for uninsured.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

GOP embraces natural immunity as substitute for vaccines
    By ANTHONY IZAGUIRRE
    Today

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Republicans fighting President Joe Biden's coronavirus vaccine mandates are wielding a new weapon against the White House rules: natural immunity.

They contend that people who have recovered from the virus have enough immunity and antibodies to not need COVID-19 vaccines, and the concept has been invoked by Republicans as a sort of stand-in for vaccines.

Florida wrote natural immunity into state law this week as GOP lawmakers elsewhere are pushing similar measures to sidestep vaccine mandates. Lawsuits over the mandates have also begun leaning on the idea. Conservative federal lawmakers have implored regulators to consider it when formulating mandates.

Scientists acknowledge that people previously infected with COVID-19 have some level of immunity but that vaccines offer a more consistent level of protection. Natural immunity is also far from a one-size-fits-all scenario, making it complicated to enact sweeping exemptions to vaccines.

That’s because how much immunity COVID-19 survivors have depends on how long ago they were infected, how sick they were, and if the virus variant they had is different from mutants circulating now. For example, a person who had a minor case one year ago is much different than a person who had a severe case over the summer when the delta variant was raging through the country. It's also difficult to reliably test whether someone is protected from future infections.

continues

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    Can Anyone here outside of the US provide some insight into what’s going in with these lockdowns and the protests across Europe? 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    Can Anyone here outside of the US provide some insight into what’s going in with these lockdowns and the protests across Europe? 
    Wow I just looked at some articles from npr and cnn.  Looks like people are pretty fed up.  It will be interesting to see what our international friends have to say.   
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Wow I just looked at some articles from npr and cnn.  Looks like people are pretty fed up.  It will be interesting to see what our international friends have to say.   
    It’s pretty wild. And most of these counties have very high vaccination rates. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Seven hours post-Moderna booster shot.  It's starting to kick in like some kind of weird drug.  Ah, but it beats the alternative.  Such a minor inconvenience compared to... oh, I don't know... death?  Ah huh.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Had a dr visit and we had a conversation about boosters, it was pretty interesting. I told her I had t got my booster because I had Covid about a month ago, seemed like it would be a smart to live off my natural immunity for a couple months then get the booster once that starts to fade.  I asked how well is the booster regulated and how often can you get it. Here’s where it got interesting. She said it’s not and I can go into any place giving it every 5-6 months and receive the booster, they won’t know.
    Those who got it, is that true? They didn’t mark you bad card with a booster stamp or anything? Seems so odd that they monitored the first shots so closely then they don’t monitor the booster at all?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    mace1229 said:
    Had a dr visit and we had a conversation about boosters, it was pretty interesting. I told her I had t got my booster because I had Covid about a month ago, seemed like it would be a smart to live off my natural immunity for a couple months then get the booster once that starts to fade.  I asked how well is the booster regulated and how often can you get it. Here’s where it got interesting. She said it’s not and I can go into any place giving it every 5-6 months and receive the booster, they won’t know.
    Those who got it, is that true? They didn’t mark you bad card with a booster stamp or anything? Seems so odd that they monitored the first shots so closely then they don’t monitor the booster at all?

Damn, dude, where is that?  Certainly not around here.  We are required to register on line to make an appointment and then show our vacc card.  My card was updated today when I got the booster.  What a bummer that the whole thing is so lax elsewhere.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    Seven hours post-Moderna booster shot.  It's starting to kick in like some kind of weird drug.  Ah, but it beats the alternative.  Such a minor inconvenience compared to... oh, I don't know... death?  Ah huh.
    Hope your feeling better tomorrow than I was the 2nd day!  Glad you got it, definitely better than the alternative.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

Damn, dude, where is that?  Certainly not around here.  We are required to register on line to make an appointment and then show our vacc card.  My card was updated today when I got the booster.  What a bummer that the whole thing is so lax elsewhere.
    I don’t know if it is that lax, it didn’t sound right to me.  Was curious what other’s experiences were. I figured they’d track and register it, my dr must have been mistaken.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    mace1229 said:

I would assume in America certainly true.  With no standardized medicine it's hard to track.

Did they even monitor the first shots closely?

All the Rite-Aids and other pharmacies around the US were reporting everything?  I really have no idea how it is working there and would assume it to would be just a giant clusterf*#k

With the socialized healthcare in Taiwan (and every other socialized healthcare country), it is all registered via your health card. 

This discussion has been closed.