JAZZ

Comments

• brianlux said:
    Question for Sun Ra fans familiar with the highly rated Atlantis record:  Thoughts on this one?  It's highly rated on a few sites (not that I necessarily pay too much heed to reviewers), and widely enough so as to make me wonder what it is I'm missing.  I have several Sun Ra records and have been a fan for a long time, but Atlantis, though certainly not "bad", is one of my least favorites.  I guess part of it is that the screeching keyboards on the long side B cut are hard on my damaged ears, but I try to listen beyond that to the music itself and I just can't seem to dig out what it is that makes this a highly regarded Sun Ra LP.  Thoughts?
    Atlantis is a hard pass for me as well. For many of the same reasons you mentioned. I believe it gets as much praise as it does because there really isn’t anything else like it (before or since).  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    Question for Sun Ra fans familiar with the highly rated Atlantis record:  Thoughts on this one?  It's highly rated on a few sites (not that I necessarily pay too much heed to reviewers), and widely enough so as to make me wonder what it is I'm missing.  I have several Sun Ra records and have been a fan for a long time, but Atlantis, though certainly not "bad", is one of my least favorites.  I guess part of it is that the screeching keyboards on the long side B cut are hard on my damaged ears, but I try to listen beyond that to the music itself and I just can't seem to dig out what it is that makes this a highly regarded Sun Ra LP.  Thoughts?
    Atlantis is a hard pass for me as well. For many of the same reasons you mentioned. I believe it gets as much praise as it does because there really isn’t anything else like it (before or since).  

It definitely is unique! 
    But it's odd to me that AllMusic, for example, gives Atlantis 5 stars yet only gives Nothing is... 3 stars.  John Gilmore's solo on "Dancing Shadows" from Nothing Is..., that alone make the album 5 star worthy, and the whole album is excellent!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    People on here talking about where Charles Mingus used to live - time to spin The Black Saint & Sinner Lady!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Grabbed some jazz records while in Ann Arbor on Friday.  Here's a couple that came home with me. Both are fantastic, Pharaoh Sanders still going strong!

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    edited September 2021
    Grabbed some jazz records while in Ann Arbor on Friday.  Here's a couple that came home with me. Both are fantastic, Pharaoh Sanders still going strong!

I'll have to check out that Floating Points/ Pharoah Sanders!   I've loved Pharoah Sanders since about the beginning of the Egyptian Middle Kingdom.  If you haven't had a chance yet, I'm guessing you would really did this one.  It covers all the amazing facets of Sanders work- and maybe even then some- "Kazuko" is amazingly beautiful.  Nice pressing too!

Pharoah Sanders – Journey To The One

Label:
    Theresa Records – TR 108/109, Theresa Records – TR 108 / 109
    Format:
    2 x Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue
    Released:
    Genre:

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

I have a different version of "Someday".  I got the AP one, mastered by Ryan Smith, stereo.  Sounds great as well.  Sometimes I prefer mono though, because early stereo was hard panned and a little too directional for me. 

Hank Mobley, Jimmy Chambers, Jimmy Cobb, John Coltrane, Wynton Kelly.  Is there a better set of musicians (besides the Offspring of course). 
    brianlux said:

I'll have to check out that Floating Points/ Pharoah Sanders!   I've loved Pharoah Sanders since about the beginning of the Egyptian Middle Kingdom.  If you haven't had a chance yet, I'm guessing you would really did this one.  It covers all the amazing facets of Sanders work- and maybe even then some- "Kazuko" is amazingly beautiful.  Nice pressing too!

Label:
    Format:
    Released:
    Genre:

Thank Brian!  I'll check out that album.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    mrussel1 said:

I have a different version of "Someday".  I got the AP one, mastered by Ryan Smith, stereo.  Sounds great as well.  Sometimes I prefer mono though, because early stereo was hard panned and a little too directional for me. 

Hank Mobley, Jimmy Chambers, Jimmy Cobb, John Coltrane, Wynton Kelly.  Is there a better set of musicians (besides the Offspring of course). 

Great album for $24, yes mono and pressed at RTI.  I couldn't agree more on the musicians!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    brianlux said:

Label:
    Format:
    Released:
    Genre:

Thank Brian!  I'll check out that album.

Sure thing!  I'm sure you will dig it!

Hey Sun Ra fans, dig this!  It seems to me this was a Record Store Day item at some point.  In any case, I noticed the vinyl goes for cheap on Discogs so picked up a copy.  I couldn't find any reviews for it, but what the heck, it's Sun Ra!   OK, true, the cover painting is a bit odd and the photo it was taken from is much better, but the colors are nice.  Ah, but what's inside!  That's what counts, and if you're a Sun Ra fan, this will not disappoint! I'm loving it and I'm guessing you will too!

Sun Ra – Spaceways

Label:
    ORG Music – ORGM-2038
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered
    Released:
    Genre:

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    I recently worked the lighting controls for our Art's Council presentation of the play Harvey. The guy who was doing the sound had some 1940's-50's era jazz playing during intermission and scene changes. I was really enjoying some of it. Do you have any suggestions on artists or compilations to check out? The only jazz from that era that I am familiar with is the soundtracks of the Peanuts holiday specials for the 60's.  B)  
    I recently worked the lighting controls for our Art's Council presentation of the play Harvey. The guy who was doing the sound had some 1940's-50's era jazz playing during intermission and scene changes. I was really enjoying some of it. Do you have any suggestions on artists or compilations to check out? The only jazz from that era that I am familiar with is the soundtracks of the Peanuts holiday specials for the 60's.  B)  
    First.. NEVER discount A Charlie Brown Christmas.  That is a brilliant work of art.  It's absolutely gorgeous.

The entry point would be Miles Davis "Kind of Blue".  It's kind of Dark Side of the Moon.  Everyone has it, everyone loves it.  There are versions that will run well over $100 (like the new AP), but that might be too steep a hill to climb if you're not into jazz yet.  I'd suggest this version.  I'ts all analog, mono and excellent.  Also pretty cheap.  https://www.discogs.com/release/5142904-Miles-Davis-Kind-Of-Blue

Then figure out if you like sax, trumpet, or piano jazz.  Meaning, which do you like as the lead instrument.  For example if you like the Peanuts, then Bill Evans, Thelonnius Monk and Dave Brubeck are excellent, accessible artists.  Sax will be John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon.  

But check back here for versions to get.  Jazz is all about the recording and the vinyl.  It's so, so beautiful on vinyl, much better than any rock albums you have.  Good luck and welcome to a whole new world of music. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited November 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    First.. NEVER discount A Charlie Brown Christmas.  That is a brilliant work of art.  It's absolutely gorgeous.

The entry point would be Miles Davis "Kind of Blue".  It's kind of Dark Side of the Moon.  Everyone has it, everyone loves it.  There are versions that will run well over $100 (like the new AP), but that might be too steep a hill to climb if you're not into jazz yet.  I'd suggest this version.  I'ts all analog, mono and excellent.  Also pretty cheap.  https://www.discogs.com/release/5142904-Miles-Davis-Kind-Of-Blue

Then figure out if you like sax, trumpet, or piano jazz.  Meaning, which do you like as the lead instrument.  For example if you like the Peanuts, then Bill Evans, Thelonnius Monk and Dave Brubeck are excellent, accessible artists.  Sax will be John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon.  

But check back here for versions to get.  Jazz is all about the recording and the vinyl.  It's so, so beautiful on vinyl, much better than any rock albums you have.  Good luck and welcome to a whole new world of music. 

and go digging for early pressings at your local record shops.

you can find some absolute gems. most I have picked up used were well cared for.  gotten quiye a few 1st or 2nd pressings in mono..... good shit  

I'd argue to go back earlier with Miles and build to KoB. branch out from there.

look at the players on various albums. explore those guys.

the variety of combos was incredible. and they seemed to be in studio or recording live ALL THE TIME.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

you can find some absolute gems. most I have picked up used were well cared for.  gotten quiye a few 1st or 2nd pressings in mono..... good shit  

I'd argue to go back earlier with Miles and build to KoB. branch out from there.

the variety of combos was incredible. and they seemed to be in studio or recording live ALL THE TIME.
    I just think KOB is every accessible for new Jazz people.  
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    The newly released Coltrane: A Love Supreme Live in Seattle is a must listen.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

agree but I also think some of the earlier stuff from the 50's is as well....

and given streaming   that might be the place to start. see what appeals then get the vinyl....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mrussel1 said:

I have a copy of the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack scheduled for delivery today! Thanks for the rest of the information. I know my local record store buys jazz collections from people on occasion, so now I know what to start looking for.  I think I have heard the owner mention Dave Brubeck before.
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

agree but I also think some of the earlier stuff from the 50's is as well....

and given streaming   that might be the place to start. see what appeals then get the vinyl....
    Good idea. I walk outside at lunch time and listen to Spotify. The last few days I have been listening to a classic jazz station. Today I heard songs from Blue Train by John Coltrane and Straight, no Chaser by Thelonious Monk. I really liked both of them. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    mrussel1 said:

I have a copy of the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack scheduled for delivery today! Thanks for the rest of the information. I know my local record store buys jazz collections from people on occasion, so now I know what to start looking for.  I think I have heard the owner mention Dave Brubeck before.
    I am not a huge jazz fan, but I love Dave Brubeck. I also like Ramsay Lewis.

1940's jazz is primarily swing era jazz and the 50's transitioned into bebop.
    Some swing era jazz you might would certainly include the work of the great Duke Ellington.  The 1947 an '48 Carnegie Hall Concerts are excellent!
    For Early bebop maybe check out Charlie Parker's The Savoy Recordings or Complete Savoy Studio Sessions.  Almost anything my Parker in the mid 40's is worth checking out.
    Also, Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker's Bird and Diz from 1950 is an excellent album.
    Almost anything my Thelonious Monk is great.  Particularly good are Brilliant Corners from 1956, At the Five Spot from 1958, and Misterioso also from '58.

brianlux said:

Some swing era jazz you might would certainly include the work of the great Duke Ellington.  The 1947 an '48 Carnegie Hall Concerts are excellent!
    For Early bebop maybe check out Charlie Parker's The Savoy Recordings or Complete Savoy Studio Sessions.  Almost anything my Parker in the mid 40's is worth checking out.
    Also, Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker's Bird and Diz from 1950 is an excellent album.
    Almost anything my Thelonious Monk is great.  Particularly good are Brilliant Corners from 1956, At the Five Spot from 1958, and Misterioso also from '58.

I may be the outlier but I don't like swing or big band jazz.  I even bought Porgy and Bess a while back to try to get into it and it didn't click.  I like hard bop, modal and that type of 3, 4 5 piece bands.  
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I may be the outlier but I don't like swing or big band jazz.  I even bought Porgy and Bess a while back to try to get into it and it didn't click.  I like hard bop, modal and that type of 3, 4 5 piece bands.  

To be honest, swing is my least favorite form of jazz with Dixieland close behind.  But then... but then... there was the time I saw The Preservation Hall Jazz Band live.  Seeing it live made it come to life. 
    And in the right mood, I enjoys some of Ellington and Basie now and then.  And it's a bit of a stretch, but some of Sun Ra and the Arkestra output is at least close to swing.  Ellington was Sun Ra's biggest inspiration and he took some of Duke's charts and arranged them for the Arkestra. 
    But yeah, beebop, then hard bop, cool, modal, free, and Ornette Coleman  (who is very difficult to categorize) are my favorites.

Oh, and I also bought Porgy and Bess and really tried, but eventually sold it off.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

To be honest, swing is my least favorite form of jazz with Dixieland close behind.  But then... but then... there was the time I saw The Preservation Hall Jazz Band live.  Seeing it live made it come to life. 
    And in the right mood, I enjoys some of Ellington and Basie now and then.  And it's a bit of a stretch, but some of Sun Ra and the Arkestra output is at least close to swing.  Ellington was Sun Ra's biggest inspiration and he took some of Duke's charts and arranged them for the Arkestra. 
    But yeah, beebop, then hard bop, cool, modal, free, and Ornette Coleman  (who is very difficult to categorize) are my favorites.

Oh, and I also bought Porgy and Bess and really tried, but eventually sold it off.
    I saw Preservation as well and had a blast. Loved them!
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I saw Preservation as well and had a blast. Loved them!

Nice!

• Black Saint and the Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus was released today. Do not hesitate. Amazing record and wonderful pressing. That music blows my mind. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Picked up my brother's Christmas gift- Miles Davis The Complete Cookin' Sessions.
    It's a pretty cool 4-LP box set. It's put out buy a label called Jazz Images. Hopefully the sound quality is decent. I'm not sure if they pressed it from the Prestige masters (probably not).
    eddiec said:
    Picked up my brother's Christmas gift- Miles Davis The Complete Cookin' Sessions.
    It's a pretty cool 4-LP box set. It's put out buy a label called Jazz Images. Hopefully the sound quality is decent. I'm not sure if they pressed it from the Prestige masters (probably not).

I have relaxin and workin. saw cookin in a used flip video. gone by the time I could get there...

• Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 334
    Blue Note Holiday sale on. 30% off music! Grab some great Kevin Gray mastered AAA titles for under $20.00!
    Croos1226 said:
    Blue Note Holiday sale on. 30% off music! Grab some great Kevin Gray mastered AAA titles for under $20.00!
    Good looking out! 
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Target is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale as well and it includes a lot of classic series and tone poet titles. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2