Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

JAZZ

13»

Comments

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Calgary ABPosts: 3,905
    brianlux said:
    Question for Sun Ra fans familiar with the highly rated Atlantis record:  Thoughts on this one?  It's highly rated on a few sites (not that I necessarily pay too much heed to reviewers), and widely enough so as to make me wonder what it is I'm missing.  I have several Sun Ra records and have been a fan for a long time, but Atlantis, though certainly not "bad", is one of my least favorites.  I guess part of it is that the screeching keyboards on the long side B cut are hard on my damaged ears, but I try to listen beyond that to the music itself and I just can't seem to dig out what it is that makes this a highly regarded Sun Ra LP.  Thoughts?
    Atlantis is a hard pass for me as well. For many of the same reasons you mentioned. I believe it gets as much praise as it does because there really isn’t anything else like it (before or since).  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 35,105
    brianlux said:
    Question for Sun Ra fans familiar with the highly rated Atlantis record:  Thoughts on this one?  It's highly rated on a few sites (not that I necessarily pay too much heed to reviewers), and widely enough so as to make me wonder what it is I'm missing.  I have several Sun Ra records and have been a fan for a long time, but Atlantis, though certainly not "bad", is one of my least favorites.  I guess part of it is that the screeching keyboards on the long side B cut are hard on my damaged ears, but I try to listen beyond that to the music itself and I just can't seem to dig out what it is that makes this a highly regarded Sun Ra LP.  Thoughts?
    Atlantis is a hard pass for me as well. For many of the same reasons you mentioned. I believe it gets as much praise as it does because there really isn’t anything else like it (before or since).  

It definitely is unique! 
    But it's odd to me that AllMusic, for example, gives Atlantis 5 stars yet only gives Nothing is... 3 stars.  John Gilmore's solo on "Dancing Shadows" from Nothing Is..., that alone make the album 5 star worthy, and the whole album is excellent!
    "I believe in the mystery, and I don't want to take it any further than that. Maybe what I mean by that is love."
    -John Densmore

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo PhillyPosts: 7,938
    People on here talking about where Charles Mingus used to live - time to spin The Black Saint & Sinner Lady!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11
    EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11
    Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil MichiganPosts: 2,696
    Grabbed some jazz records while in Ann Arbor on Friday.  Here's a couple that came home with me. Both are fantastic, Pharaoh Sanders still going strong!

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    edited September 13
    Grabbed some jazz records while in Ann Arbor on Friday.  Here's a couple that came home with me. Both are fantastic, Pharaoh Sanders still going strong!

I'll have to check out that Floating Points/ Pharoah Sanders!   I've loved Pharoah Sanders since about the beginning of the Egyptian Middle Kingdom.  If you haven't had a chance yet, I'm guessing you would really did this one.  It covers all the amazing facets of Sanders work- and maybe even then some- "Kazuko" is amazingly beautiful.  Nice pressing too!

Pharoah Sanders – Journey To The One

Label:
    Theresa Records – TR 108/109, Theresa Records – TR 108 / 109
    Format:
    2 x Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue
    Released:
    Genre:

Post edited by brianlux on
    "I believe in the mystery, and I don't want to take it any further than that. Maybe what I mean by that is love."
    -John Densmore

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,836

I have a different version of "Someday".  I got the AP one, mastered by Ryan Smith, stereo.  Sounds great as well.  Sometimes I prefer mono though, because early stereo was hard panned and a little too directional for me. 

Hank Mobley, Jimmy Chambers, Jimmy Cobb, John Coltrane, Wynton Kelly.  Is there a better set of musicians (besides the Offspring of course). 
    brianlux said:

I'll have to check out that Floating Points/ Pharoah Sanders!   I've loved Pharoah Sanders since about the beginning of the Egyptian Middle Kingdom.  If you haven't had a chance yet, I'm guessing you would really did this one.  It covers all the amazing facets of Sanders work- and maybe even then some- "Kazuko" is amazingly beautiful.  Nice pressing too!

Label:
    Format:
    Released:
    Genre:

Thank Brian!  I'll check out that album.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    mrussel1 said:

I have a different version of "Someday".  I got the AP one, mastered by Ryan Smith, stereo.  Sounds great as well.  Sometimes I prefer mono though, because early stereo was hard panned and a little too directional for me. 

Hank Mobley, Jimmy Chambers, Jimmy Cobb, John Coltrane, Wynton Kelly.  Is there a better set of musicians (besides the Offspring of course). 

Great album for $24, yes mono and pressed at RTI.  I couldn't agree more on the musicians!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    brianlux said:

Label:
    Format:
    Released:
    Genre:

Thank Brian!  I'll check out that album.

Sure thing!  I'm sure you will dig it!
    -John Densmore

Hey Sun Ra fans, dig this!  It seems to me this was a Record Store Day item at some point.  In any case, I noticed the vinyl goes for cheap on Discogs so picked up a copy.  I couldn't find any reviews for it, but what the heck, it's Sun Ra!   OK, true, the cover painting is a bit odd and the photo it was taken from is much better, but the colors are nice.  Ah, but what's inside!  That's what counts, and if you're a Sun Ra fan, this will not disappoint! I'm loving it and I'm guessing you will too!

Sun Ra – Spaceways

Label:
    ORG Music – ORGM-2038
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered
    Released:
    Genre:

-John Densmore