Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    PJ_Soul said:
    The amount of debt people have now seems completely out of control... Surely it's all going to come crashing down eventually. I just don't see how it couldn't.
    If interest rates never go too high, then it's continuing to borrow it for next to nothing (Even a few percent increase isn't really that much).

Would of been totally different in the 80s when a mortgage would of been 18%.  

I dunno.  I also had thoughts in University that the whole system was based on 1st world countries living well, and the rest of the planet not so much.    With globalization we have seen some shift of wealth from our countries to traditionally less well off countries.  With large amounts of debt, it means people won't be able to afford as much discretionary stuff.

Maybe that's not bad.  Means wealth is distributing globally, or maybe less crap means less pollution....
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    What understanding, genuine leadership this policy illustrates! Maybe it can be legislated…in fucking November (end of the month for a couple weeks before Christmas vacation!). So much for an “urgent” need for the election, Trudeau played enough people for fools and almost got away with it (thank God he was held to a minority!). (Sarcasm fully engaged throughout most of this post.)

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trudeau-liberals-are-petty-in-denying-ei-to-unvaccinated
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    What understanding, genuine leadership this policy illustrates! Maybe it can be legislated…in fucking November (end of the month for a couple weeks before Christmas vacation!). So much for an “urgent” need for the election, Trudeau played enough people for fools and almost got away with it (thank God he was held to a minority!). (Sarcasm fully engaged throughout most of this post.)

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trudeau-liberals-are-petty-in-denying-ei-to-unvaccinated
    I don’t actually have a problem with people not getting EI if they refuse to be vaccinated and then lose their job. They have a safe and easy option that protects them and society if they want to keep their jobs. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

I don’t actually have a problem with people not getting EI if they refuse to be vaccinated and then lose their job. They have a safe and easy option that protects them and society if they want to keep their jobs. 
    This policy is apparently based on employees not meeting the terms of employment. I’m not sure of the legalities of an employer changing the terms after hiring/employment has begun, that’s where I can’t agree.

In all seriousness, it is frightening to me how quickly we’ve transitioned from (more or less) Team Canada thinking to an “us-or-them” mentality. I really am troubled by the segregation being enacted as well as the coercion geared towards the unvaccinated.

Hopefully the government will soon address many peoples’ concerns by approving the “dead virus” vaccines (I guess Health Canada is laser-focused on looking at the kids to the exclusion of all else?).

This policy is apparently based on employees not meeting the terms of employment. I’m not sure of the legalities of an employer changing the terms after hiring/employment has begun, that’s where I can’t agree.

In all seriousness, it is frightening to me how quickly we’ve transitioned from (more or less) Team Canada thinking to an “us-or-them” mentality. I really am troubled by the segregation being enacted as well as the coercion geared towards the unvaccinated.

Hopefully the government will soon address many peoples’ concerns by approving the “dead virus” vaccines (I guess Health Canada is laser-focused on looking at the kids to the exclusion of all else?).
    Virtually everyone's terms of employment have changed since March 2020. Did people get EI because of the other changes, like working from home or wearing a mask? Almost 29,000 Canadians have died from covid and hundreds of thousands have been seriously ill. A pandemic necessitates changes in many facets of life. It sucks but that's the reality. The courts have upheld the legality of these measures, given the circumstances.

"Us or them mentality"? Those who have been vaccinated and have been diligent with masking are the ones who have taken steps to protect others and not just themselves, who have been working for the common good rather than behaving selfishly.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    No one who loses his/her job because they are unvaccinated will be denied EI benefits.  All you need is a note from a doc stating “due to medical reason I am unable to perform my job but am still able to work.”  And there are many more loopholes.  I live in a heavy auto manufacturing area where I know many people who are off and on the system and they tell me there are plenty of loopholes.

it’s typical mr blackface blowing smoke up Canadians ass.  And of course once again showing he is the most divisive asshole to ever become PM.

Give Peas A Chance…
    when the interest rates start going up at the end of ‘22 and early ‘23 is when people will feel it.  Interest have to go up to try and get inflation under control…

This what happens with a total inept bunch running the country.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    when the interest rates start going up at the end of ‘22 and early ‘23 is when people will feel it.  Interest have to go up to try and get inflation under control…

Well the world.  Every 1st world country did the same thing (Spend like mad to prevent covid from causing a major economic crisis).    Everywhere is experiencing inflation and increased costs.  This a global phenomenon with all countries and leadership impacts.  Its not localized to Canada.  It's not like we're some outlier.
    Zod said:

Well the world.  Every 1st world country did the same thing (Spend like mad to prevent covid from causing a major economic crisis).    Everywhere is experiencing inflation and increased costs.  This a global phenomenon with all countries and leadership impacts.  Its not localized to Canada.  It's not like we're some outlier.
    I’m talking about individuals.  Individuals will feel the effects of higher interest rates, and even small increases can impact many people today.

People are on tight budget.  Sometimes an unexpected expense shows up and you have to borrow.  At least people have a little warning…

Of course interest rates hikes hurt governments as well…

And anyone who says “I don’t think about monetary policy” is inept if your the PM.  Yes, I realize it’s worldwide problem…but are these other countries imposing unnecessary taxes in very difficult times..We know the mr blackface has.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Remember EI is funded by employers/employees…

and I do find it amusing that a bunch a low life liberals want to deny people EI when they haven’t worked this fall, only plan to work 2 weeks and then take 6 weeks off for Christmas off, who vote themselves raises whenever they want and never took a de tease in pay why they hid at home…
    Give Peas A Chance…

Former PM Chretien on inflation concerns, current affairs

We so urgently needed an election that the lazy prime minister won’t recall the house and get his entitled lazy ass to work…Canadians love having smoke blown up their ass by Trudeau 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited October 2021
    Zod said:

I’m talking about individuals.  Individuals will feel the effects of higher interest rates, and even small increases can impact many people today.

People are on tight budget.  Sometimes an unexpected expense shows up and you have to borrow.  At least people have a little warning…

Of course interest rates hikes hurt governments as well…

And anyone who says “I don’t think about monetary policy” is inept if your the PM.  Yes, I realize it’s worldwide problem…but are these other countries imposing unnecessary taxes in very difficult times..We know the mr blackface has.

I don't disagree with any of those things, but that wasn't what I arguing.
    Post edited by Zod on
    The Mayor of Toronto receives 100 grand a year from Rogers, how is that even legal.  politicians in Canada are crooked as hell.  They don’t work for Canadians.

And the mayor of Toronto is baby sitting a Rogers family dispute instead of doing his job..

Give Peas A Chance…

B.C. premier has growth in throat, undergoing surgery this week

Hopefully he’ll be fine and wishing a speedy recovery.

Give Peas A Chance…
    the flat he flag needs to be raised.  It’s not Trudeau’s flag.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    Manitoba’s failed health minister is now premier…gotta love how politics  work…we pick the dumbest to lead us or is it that really smart people avoid politics…hmmmmm
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Manitoba’s failed health minister is now premier…gotta love how politics  work…we pick the dumbest to lead us or is it that really smart people avoid politics…hmmmmm
    she was even worse as Minister of Families. still better than Shelly "Harper" Glover. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think you get paid more if your capable and work in the private sector.   I don't think MLA/MP/Premier/PM salaries stack up against CEO/CFO or other executive level jobs for bigger corporations.

I do remember once I had a teacher that said the qualities needed to win an election aren't necessarily the qualities needed to run a country or province.

LMFAO if you think our dolts for politicians are equipped to ever be CEO of a company…there might be the odd 1 but that’s it.

our politicians are more than adequately compensated for how little they accomplished.  Trudeau couldn’t run a hot dog stand at a profit or organize a 1 car funeral…

Apparently the Prime Minister and other were clueless…so there is that. 

Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,626
    edited November 2021
    No school due to CUPE lockouts in our province. Can’t see loved ones in the hospital either. People are dying alone today due to no one at the COVID screening door letting family members in. Our government  had months to figure this out can’t or won’t give the workers anywhere close to what they are asking for. 

Home schooling this week not because of COVID has me thinking the province is going to lean on parents more and more when things like this happen.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    she was even worse as Minister of Families. still better than Shelly "Harper" Glover. 
    so there were some "irregularities" with the election within the party; 1000 members didn't receive their ballots, and the margin that Stephanson won by was under 400 votes. A local reporter spoke to Shelly Glover today, and she said, and this is a quote, "I am the premier. I am the premier, not her". 

Jesus christ america, stop spreading this bullshit around! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Canada is due to receive some usable J&J doses soon, according to the CBC. Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan have requested doses as apparently there are people willing to get this shot but not willing to get the other options.

The recommendation is going to be that they follow it up with an mRNA shot but I doubt that anyone who has been waiting for the J&J shot is willing to get an mRNA booster. One dose of J&J is better than nothing although not as good as the other options.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/johnson-vaccine-covid-pandemic-1.6239206
    My gosh the CEO of Air Canada doesn't speak French...he sure has created quite the kerfuffle.  The language Gestapo is investigating and this poor CEO of a Canadian welfare company may be drawn and quartered if he doesn't learn French.  And Trudeau is quite upset that this man doesn’t speak French.  Trudeau has gone into counselling and may need another Tofino holiday.  

Too bad this jsckass posing as prime minister doesn't get upset about real issues...a real fraud leader of his cult...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Ontario Honours Bravery and Sacrifice on Indigenous Veterans Day

https://news.ontario.ca/en/statement/1001124/ontario-honours-bravery-and-sacrifice-on-indigenous-veterans-day

Thanks for your sacrifice.

However, I just learn that indigenous peoples have a segregated remembrance day...is this 1850

Give Peas A Chance…
    Man, CBC REALLY doesn’t want us talking about the J&J vaccine, which is weird because 3 provinces think it would help address some of the concerns of the hesitant.

Man, CBC REALLY doesn’t want us talking about the J&J vaccine, which is weird because 3 provinces think it would help address some of the concerns of the hesitant.
    What makes you say that?
    edited November 2021
    What makes you say that?
    Trying to make a post on the article about O’Toole and vaccines, took 3 attempts, all deactivated. Essentially only making the point that including J&J in the discussion would be helpful. Admittedly my first attempt editorialized a bit, second lacked a tiny bit of context, I see no problem with my third attempt (maybe I’ll go back for screenshots, lol).

The real problem comes when compared to what is allowed to stand. My comment correcting someone on the delay between doses in the initial rollout seems to still be there so it was factual enough? The person was making it sound like the delay was justified at the time, even though there was zero science behind the tactic. We got lucky with the outcome, in my opinion.

Edit to add: Can’t see anything offside with these (I’d need to wade through 1000+ posts to find my first attempt, sorry). Not sure why it put the pics at the top, lol.

Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

What makes you say that?
    Trying to make a post on the article about O’Toole and vaccines, took 3 attempts, all deactivated. Essentially only making the point that including J&J in the discussion would be helpful. Admittedly my first attempt editorialized a bit, second lacked a tiny bit of context, I see no problem with my third attempt (maybe I’ll go back for screenshots, lol).

The real problem comes when compared to what is allowed to stand. My comment correcting someone on the delay between doses in the initial rollout seems to still be there so it was factual enough? The person was making it sound like the delay was justified at the time, even though there was zero science behind the tactic. We got lucky with the outcome, in my opinion.

Edit to add: Can’t see anything offside with these (I’d need to wade through 1000+ posts to find my first attempt, sorry). Not sure why it put the pics at the top, lol.

Ah, okay, so you're concern is about comments on their website. I have no idea about that, actually, since I've never bothered, so I have no opinion on whether it was just technical difficulties or something else.

I disagree with your statement that there was "zero science" behind the delay in doses. There is and was a lot of good basic immunological research that supports the longer time between doses. You know what had zero science behind it? The intervals chosen by Pfizer and Moderna. 
    What makes you say that?

Also, the CBC does have articles about the J&J shot, so maybe try commenting on that one instead?
    What makes you say that?

Also, the CBC does have articles about the J&J shot, so maybe try commenting on that one instead?
    We weren’t allowed to comment on the article about the 20,000 doses of J&J, if I recall correctly. The CBC is actually kind of a joke when it comes to what stories allow comments. I was floored they allowed comments on the story about raising the flags the other day (FN stories usually don’t allow comments), but very quickly all comments seemed to shut down for a time and the comments for that story remain invisible.