Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited September 2021
    Excellent, good news.

Need to get some laps and hot tub session in today....I think this is our last weekend with the pool open.  :cry:.        
    The hot tub is going to be "sorely" missed.
    Just too much money to keep open and power when I will be the only one to use a handful of times per week.  The weather will change quickly, though.  Soon I will be whining about it being too cold during runs.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    It's strange - the weather is cool enough for running outside, yet I am still wanting to use the treadmill. I have just been finding it more efficient and like being able to regulate my speed, and go faster for a set time, etc. During the heart of the pandemic the sidewalks and streets were fairly empty, and it was great. Now, I am back to dodging pedestrians, having to wait for entire red lights to turn green, etc. With the treadmill, I am on and off easy. I really enjoyed running outside, so I hope at one point I want to do that again, especially as the weather becomes more perfect for it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    GlowGirl said:
    It's strange - the weather is cool enough for running outside, yet I am still wanting to use the treadmill. I have just been finding it more efficient and like being able to regulate my speed, and go faster for a set time, etc. During the heart of the pandemic the sidewalks and streets were fairly empty, and it was great. Now, I am back to dodging pedestrians, having to wait for entire red lights to turn green, etc. With the treadmill, I am on and off easy. I really enjoyed running outside, so I hope at one point I want to do that again, especially as the weather becomes more perfect for it.

Interesting.  Good to know you have the option, at this point, to select what works best for you on a given day.

10 miles this morning was grueling.  So weird how it does that -- felt like garbage, some pretty sharp pain in my stomach....stopped being a wimp, finished, showered, felt fine after.
    :lol:   
    GlowGirl said:

Interesting.  Good to know you have the option, at this point, to select what works best for you on a given day.

10 miles this morning was grueling.  So weird how it does that -- felt like garbage, some pretty sharp pain in my stomach....stopped being a wimp, finished, showered, felt fine after.
    You did twice as many miles as I did this morning, so that is awesome. It is weird how sometimes we can just do our runs and feel great, and other times it is a struggle to do the same amount of miles. That happened to me this week. Monday's run felt really good. Today was more of a struggle. But we persevere. I am glad the stomach pain went away. Do you think it was cramp from being a bit dehydrated. That happens to me sometimes.

GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

You did twice as many miles as I did this morning, so that is awesome. It is weird how sometimes we can just do our runs and feel great, and other times it is a struggle to do the same amount of miles. That happened to me this week. Monday's run felt really good. Today was more of a struggle. But we persevere. I am glad the stomach pain went away. Do you think it was cramp from being a bit dehydrated. That happens to me sometimes.

For sure, it is odd.
    I don't think it was a cramp and I did have my camelbak, as I always try to bring it any time I am going to go over an hour.  I force myself to follow pretty much the same routine as far as liquid and food intake on longer runs, to try and make sure my body is used to it. 
    Something just was not right...but I feel perfectly fine now.  (Aside from every joint from knees down being perma-sore!  :lol: )

Hope your next run is back to feeling great!
  • GlowGirl said:

10 miles is never wimpy 😁 sometimes it's just about getting the job done and moving on 😂 smashed the granny out of it.

@GlowGirl it's great you can be flexible and it seems to be keeping you super consistent!

3rd week without running... I'm still not 100% after the covid. And also I ran that fucking race injury free... then last week I jumped up onto the bed to catch and release a crane fly and twisted my knee a bit and it's still sore 😂 done by a sodding crane fly!

Oh well if there was a time to to take a break then it's now. Feeling better each day so fingers crossed for next week.
    Good luck!
    I once threw out my back picking up our nephew's wrestling figure.  (The little toy of John Cena or one of those fuckers.)

Never know what'll get us!
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:

10 miles is never wimpy 😁 sometimes it's just about getting the job done and moving on 😂 smashed the granny out of it.

@GlowGirl it's great you can be flexible and it seems to be keeping you super consistent!

3rd week without running... I'm still not 100% after the covid. And also I ran that fucking race injury free... then last week I jumped up onto the bed to catch and release a crane fly and twisted my knee a bit and it's still sore 😂 done by a sodding crane fly!

Oh well if there was a time to to take a break then it's now. Feeling better each day so fingers crossed for next week.
    Take care of that knee. I hope you get your energy back soon from having covid. You ran so much in the last few months, so taking a break might be good anyway. I am sure you will be out there again running soon.

Smashed the granny out of 15, this morning.  :lol:.   
    The first three miles were slooooow, it was in the 40s and it took a long time to loosen up.  Next twelve were really strong and I have to check but I believe that would be my best time at this distance.
    Know it was my best "half" time, by almost four minutes, and I was only getting stronger at the end - the last three miles were the fastest, by quite a bit.  
    I hope my head can be in that space next week for 25 but I pushed myself most of this and my body was cool with it, for the most part.  Good to see the training is taking.

One of our group was doing a marathon this weekend, weren't they?  I'd have to scroll back but I thought it was sometime around the first weekend in October.
    Smashed the granny out of 15, this morning.  :lol:.   
    The first three miles were slooooow, it was in the 40s and it took a long time to loosen up.  Next twelve were really strong and I have to check but I believe that would be my best time at this distance.
    Know it was my best "half" time, by almost four minutes, and I was only getting stronger at the end - the last three miles were the fastest, by quite a bit.  
    I hope my head can be in that space next week for 25 but I pushed myself most of this and my body was cool with it, for the most part.  Good to see the training is taking.

One of our group was doing a marathon this weekend, weren't they?  I'd have to scroll back but I thought it was sometime around the first weekend in October.
    Sounds like you had a stellar run. Those distances are amazing. I did my 6 miles this morning. The whole reason I started running was for cardio/heart health. Never thought about competitive running at all. According to my Fitbit my resting heart rate averages between 56-59. It also says that my cardio fitness is in the excellent range for women in my age group. So I am happy with my progress. Maybe I should up my running goals. 
    Good work.  Your heart thanks you!

25 miles run, over.  First twenty were good....I was reserved the first ten and the next ten I was at least within a minute of desired pace every mile....and then I fell off, big time.  Felt like someone tightened up everything in my legs, especially around my knees, and no matter what I tried I could not loosen up.  Added two mins a miles dragging ass to the finish.  :lol:.   
    Oh well.  All downhill from here, but I pretty much feel like I was in a car wreck.  
    Very happy to be done with that - now I have the rest of the weekend to be a baby about it.  ;)

edited October 2021
    25 miles run, over.  First twenty were good....I was reserved the first ten and the next ten I was at least within a minute of desired pace every mile....and then I fell off, big time.  Felt like someone tightened up everything in my legs, especially around my knees, and no matter what I tried I could not loosen up.  Added two mins a miles dragging ass to the finish.  :lol:.   
    Oh well.  All downhill from here, but I pretty much feel like I was in a car wreck.  
    Very happy to be done with that - now I have the rest of the weekend to be a baby about it.  ;)

Bravo!! But it sounds like it was a hard run. I am glad you are taking the rest of the weekend off to rest and recover. I am trying to buy RHCP tickets when the presale starts at 10:00am. Then I am going for my run. It is pretty humid today, so I am hitting the treadmill since I am starting so late. I will likely be running a little over a 1/5 of what you ran today :|

Good luck today!
    Hope you scored great seats and enjoyed your run.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 633

Great stuff, good job!

It's been a month but I went for a run! Only 1.5 miles with my daughter on her bike but it's a run! 😂
    Nice!  How is the Covid hangover - anything still with you?
    Did that girls all stay safe/without it?

I'm still getting tired tbh. My daily work life is starting to feel normal again so I think it's just a case of building back with running. It felt tough today though! 😔

Good news is my ladies stayed negative so that was great.

I have no training until the end of December so I have time to just ease back in. 
    Hope you feel better soon and good news on your gals.
    Good luck today!
    Run was ok. First two miles were difficult. Last four were better. I got decent seats for the concert. There were plenty of floor seats left but I didn’t want to spend $300. I got 100 level seats. I am happy with them. 
    beano.79 said:

I'm still getting tired tbh. My daily work life is starting to feel normal again so I think it's just a case of building back with running. It felt tough today though! 😔

Good news is my ladies stayed negative so that was great.

I have no training until the end of December so I have time to just ease back in. 
    It is great you are starting to ease yourself back into running. It will come back. Just don’t overdo it. That is awesome that your wife and daughter didn’t get Covid. I hope you start to get all of your energy back soon. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Good luck today!
    Run was ok. First two miles were difficult. Last four were better. I got decent seats for the concert. There were plenty of floor seats left but I didn’t want to spend $300. I got 100 level seats. I am happy with them. 
    Just bought tickets for Tool at the O2 arena in London in may. Seats towards the front were £250! It's gone crazy! We settled for seating in the first tier of the stands behind the sound desk for £75
  • Sorry I keep disappearing, been really hit and miss online lately. 

I'm gearing up for my first Half Marathon next month (I've not run any races since high school track 27 years ago)

Training is going well, following a formal plan this time (seems to be keeping me injury free). I'm hoping for a sub 1:30 in the race (I've run 1:34 and 1:36 on my last 2 tempo runs). 

I then plan on my first Marathon in April, my goal will be sub 3 hours, we'll see how that goes.

I hope everyone is doing well. 
    Great speeds, way faster than I can go.
    Had a 330 AM wake up and run this morning....had a meeting at 7 that was far away so I had to get the run in, cool off, shower, and drive over an hour.
    I was exhausted by 930 am when I returned home.
    edited October 2021
    Had a 330 AM wake up and run this morning....had a meeting at 7 that was far away so I had to get the run in, cool off, shower, and drive over an hour.
    You are motivated. I have a 9am meeting tomorrow, which is when I usually run. Instead of getting up earlier and running, I am going to run on Thursday instead. Thursday is usually my yoga day, but I will go to a yoga class on Wednesday night. If I were like you, I wouldn't have to rearrange anything. I would just get up earlier. But I know myself too well for that :blush:

Sounds like you have a good plan, which works for you.

Also, I'm going to bed soon.  :lol:.  
    Sorry I keep disappearing, been really hit and miss online lately. 

I'm gearing up for my first Half Marathon next month (I've not run any races since high school track 27 years ago)

Training is going well, following a formal plan this time (seems to be keeping me injury free). I'm hoping for a sub 1:30 in the race (I've run 1:34 and 1:36 on my last 2 tempo runs). 

I then plan on my first Marathon in April, my goal will be sub 3 hours, we'll see how that goes.

How were your times in high school?
    If you are running like this at 45, I'm guessing you were pretty damn fast.
  • Great speeds, way faster than I can go.
    I run early in the morning, I couldn't get up that early to run though. I bet you were exhausted 
  • Sorry I keep disappearing, been really hit and miss online lately. 

How were your times in high school?
    If you are running like this at 45, I'm guessing you were pretty damn fast.
    I mostly ran 400 and 800, 400 was 55-57 seconds,  8:00 was 2:05. I ran the mile once at a meet and did it in 4:59. My best friend growing up ran high 40's in the 400, he was crazy fast
  • GlowGirl said:
    You are motivated. I have a 9am meeting tomorrow, which is when I usually run. Instead of getting up earlier and running, I am going to run on Thursday instead. Thursday is usually my yoga day, but I will go to a yoga classon Wednesday night. If I were like you, I wouldn't have to rearrange anything. I would just get up earlier. But I know myself too well for that :blush:

You have to do what works for you. Luckily since I've been working from home for almost 10 years now I am generally flexible if something comes up with my run. I won't get up at 3:30 to run though. 
    GlowGirl said:
    You are motivated. I have a 9am meeting tomorrow, which is when I usually run. Instead of getting up earlier and running, I am going to run on Thursday instead. Thursday is usually my yoga day, but I will go to a yoga classon Wednesday night. If I were like you, I wouldn't have to rearrange anything. I would just get up earlier. But I know myself too well for that :blush:

You have to do what works for you. Luckily since I've been working from home for almost 10 years now I am generally flexible if something comes up with my run. I won't get up at 3:30 to run though. 
    I have been working at home for over 10 years as well. I usually don’t have much interference with my run days. But I have a Zoom meeting that I can’t get out of. It was the only time that worked for all of us. So….

By the way, good luck with the half training. You have some impressive times.