Ohana Encore Weekend

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Beaches now closed in Dana Point thanks to the oil spill... no fishing in the waters, no anything... horrible impact on environment.  I'll moving south abs spreading.. not supposed to get us in SD....
    Ugh. That sucks....absolutely beautiful stretch of beach.

That being said, I hope they don't move it. The location was perfect.
    I can't picture this festival being anywhere else and I don't think it was even close to over crowded.
    agreed...the problem might be if greed takes over and they want to sell more tickets
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    jstu39 said:
    jstu39 said:
    Interesting article. Hints at 2 weekends again next year in Dana Point then possibly a new location after 2022. This year was my first Ohana experience and I hope to do it again. 
    Translation:  a negotiation tactic for post 2022.
    I got the sense it was a capacity issue. The festival might be getting too big for the size of the park. I know some festivals have been at the Del Mar racetrack. Not sure if more people is the issue or if it’s only positioning. 
    I didn't think it was overcrowded or there was any lack of access to food, drinks or bathrooms. I have been in way longer lines at football and baseball games. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    jstu39 said:
    jstu39 said:
    Interesting article. Hints at 2 weekends again next year in Dana Point then possibly a new location after 2022. This year was my first Ohana experience and I hope to do it again. 
    I got the sense it was a capacity issue. The festival might be getting too big for the size of the park. I know some festivals have been at the Del Mar racetrack. Not sure if more people is the issue or if it’s only positioning. 
    I didn't think it was overcrowded or there was any lack of access to food, drinks or bathrooms. I have been in way longer lines at football and baseball games. 
    Didn't seem overcrowded to me either.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    edited October 2021
    jstu39 said:
    jstu39 said:

-- More convenient for me, personally, but not nearly as nice of a venue.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Beaches now closed in Dana Point thanks to the oil spill... no fishing in the waters, no anything... horrible impact on environment.  I'll moving south abs spreading.. not supposed to get us in SD....

I can't picture this festival being anywhere else and I don't think it was even close to over crowded.
    Agree - the location / setup is what sets this apart from other festivals.  I never felt that festival fatigue setting in by day 2/3 (I went both weekends) and in comparison, I had it after one day of SHN.  If this festival stays at DP every year (and remains small when compared to others), we are coming back every year.  If they grow it and move to a less desirable location, I'm not so sure.  So please don't move it EV / Live Nation!
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    Ohana Encore Recap
    News 

Thank you to everyone who came out this weekend to Ohana Encore! The past two live music-filled weekends couldn't have been any better. Check out the recap video from this weekend. 

https://youtu.be/M8XDDbQDXVg

After spending two weekends in Dana Point, we are heartbroken to hear about the massive and highly toxic oil spill off the coast of Orange County which will impact local ecosystems and wildlife. To take action, contact your representatives to protect our coastlines from offshore drilling, or text OILSPILL to 51555 to learn how you can take action.  

tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

Agree - the location / setup is what sets this apart from other festivals.  I never felt that festival fatigue setting in by day 2/3 (I went both weekends) and in comparison, I had it after one day of SHN.  If this festival stays at DP every year (and remains small when compared to others), we are coming back every year.  If they grow it and move to a less desirable location, I'm not so sure.  So please don't move it EV / Live Nation!
    agreed...that was the best festival that we have ever attended.  I would definitely return.  I can't say the same about other festivals.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

Yup---we're already looking at booking a place for next year. Speaking of which, how soon do they announce the dates?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited October 2021
    mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

Yup---we're already looking at booking a place for next year. Speaking of which, how soon do they announce the dates?
    us too....we stayed in San Clemente and liked the area but it was a pain to use the shuttle from there.  We stayed there thinking the shuttle location would be at the outlet mall like prior years.

The first day we attended we used street parking which was ok.  We will probably skip the shuttles next time if they are in the same place.  It's nice staying close to the beach.

mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

us too....we stayed in San Clemente and liked the area but it was a pain to use the shuttle from there.  We stayed there thinking the shuttle location would be at the outlet mall like prior years.

The first day we attended we used street parking which was ok.  We will probably skip the shuttles next time if they are in the same place.  It's nice staying close to the beach.
    We stayed in Laguna Hills are made the short drive each day & used the street parking. On our way back to SD, we stopped in San Clemente and I think we may rent a house with some friends for next year. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

We stayed in Laguna Hills are made the short drive each day & used the street parking. On our way back to SD, we stopped in San Clemente and I think we may rent a house with some friends for next year. 
    I had a hotel room in Oceanside thinking the shuttle was San Clemente. Once it was moved, I started looking for someplace closer. The Monday after the first weekend I found an AirBnb about a 20 minute walk from the festival, so I cancelled the hotel and sold my shuttle tickets. In the future, if I can't find a place close by, I will utilize street parking instead of taking the shuttle. If you are willing to walk a bit, it is not hard to find.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

We have friends in San Clemente with a son who drove us each day to the VIP entrance and then picked us up each night at Carls Jr. Never more than a 15 minute walk/drive. I'll  be annoyed if they move this awesomely located festival.
    mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

We have friends in San Clemente with a son who drove us each day to the VIP entrance and then picked us up each night at Carls Jr. Never more than a 15 minute walk/drive. I'll  be annoyed if they move this awesomely located festival.
    I hate to admit it but since we knew when they would stop playing we left early to avoid the crowd.  Last thing I want to do at the end of a concert is fight foot traffic to the shuttle, wait on the shuttle, fight traffic leaving the shuttle location, etc.

mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

Those are good friends!
  • mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

I hate to admit it but since we knew when they would stop playing we left early to avoid the crowd.  Last thing I want to do at the end of a concert is fight foot traffic to the shuttle, wait on the shuttle, fight traffic leaving the shuttle location, etc.
    You can still hear RITFW on the walk to the shuttle.  Nothing wrong with that.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

You can still hear RITFW on the walk to the shuttle.  Nothing wrong with that.
    yep...and the shuttle was full :)

• NEweatherNEweather Posts: 449
    we also left a little early too Sat.@Encore , and as we walked towards leaving the entrance- a nice woman, who was walking w/her husband told us they go to this fest.every year, said it was great and that we were welcome to return, all we can-and they Live there! I thought that was pretty cool she said that.
  • Well, I understand why some of you chose to leave a little early.  And no judgment.  You likely helped the lines when I left after it was all over.  But that is just not me.  I would not have wanted to miss a second of watching that crazy free for all with so many of the artists coming out to join the band to Keep On Rocking in the Free World, and with crazy Animal from the Muppets, also known as Taylor Hawkins pumping that tempo.  So much fun!  We had just decided to enjoy it to the fullest, and then just take our time and be chill on the way out, enjoying the afterglow.  
  • Pandemic aside, PJ doesn’t really play Salt Lake so my opportunities to see them live have been limited and the upcoming year isn’t exactly a given. So I was definitely seeing all 3 shows, not leaving early for any reason, and enjoying every note of Sweet Lew.

(Also the shuttle lines moved pretty well)

who, or which one of you is the 6'9" guy, on Fri.night- who said your friends can "always find" you? I so wanted to ask you to take a couple of pics w/ my phone for me, (while we were more in the back/mid-right yet in front of the ga bleachers) just because you were so tall-lol! you were cool& funny! so me thinks Maybe ur a member here...
    Pandemic aside, PJ doesn’t really play Salt Lake so my opportunities to see them live have been limited and the upcoming year isn’t exactly a given. So I was definitely seeing all 3 shows, not leaving early for any reason, and enjoying every note of Sweet Lew.

I get it.  We have seen them 23 times so I'm good with missing RITFW/Alive/YL, etc. Plus I'm too old. When the concert is over I want to get back to my room and relax.  

i saw & experienced a nice, "friendliness" atmosphere @ Ohana Encore from most there- and the music was fantastic! Sat. i used ear protection-cuz i thought it was Louder than Friday-but maybe it was only me/ "experiencing" that. Both days were alot of fun-Thankyou everyone
    and for any 1st timers, seeing Pearl Jam Live-( and any of the others' performances there ) hope you are happy you did! You are so lucky! 
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    Pandemic aside, PJ doesn’t really play Salt Lake so my opportunities to see them live have been limited and the upcoming year isn’t exactly a given. So I was definitely seeing all 3 shows, not leaving early for any reason, and enjoying every note of Sweet Lew.

I get it.  We have seen them 23 times so I'm good with missing RITFW/Alive/YL, etc. Plus I'm too old. When the concert is over I want to get back to my room and relax.  
    I’m also at number 23! Hoping it’s not too long until I reach 24!
  • steven87 said:

My third.  But it was the most energetic and fun show yet!  Even though each show was awesome and had special moments.
     this was my +1's first & second time- and it was "finally!" she got to experience what i've been Pearl Jamming about. I've seen Pearl Jam with my kids, family and friends. This +1 is my eldest granddaughter. I still need to edit my list
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    mfc2006 said:
    tbergs said:
    mfc2006 said:

We did the same thing....once the curfew time was near, we started to walk out.....was able to get right on the shuttle with no wait.
  • Hey, there was a trick posted a while back for getting the wristbands off intact.  I wanted to save mine, hang it on a mirror or something.  Can anyone remember it and tell me?  I have tried a screwdriver but no luck yet.  Would save me going back through 37 pages.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Hey, there was a trick posted a while back for getting the wristbands off intact.  I wanted to save mine, hang it on a mirror or something.  Can anyone remember it and tell me?  I have tried a screwdriver but no luck yet.  Would save me going back through 37 pages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M9wY8nRhiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcALJm9n5lA
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    steven87 said:

My third.  But it was the most energetic and fun show yet!  Even though each show was awesome and had special moments.
    Totally agree! Energy was amazing and felt like a celebration after being away for so long.