Cycling and Road Biking

I haven't seen an updated thread for cycling in 12 years so I'm starting a new one.

Just recently bought a Trek Emonda ALR5 road bike.  I needed something to do for exercise and to get out doors.  The bird watching is nice but not get up the heart rate much so I dropped the money on a decent bike that didn't cost as much as a house.

I am on Strava to keep track of my rides and progress.  My goal is to do a 30 mile ride before winter is up.  My friend and I did 24 this weekend so I think I can do it.  It's a trip here in NY from Long Beach to Breezy Point and back.  Lots of beach and water views and nice flat ground.  Just purchased a saddlebag w tools incase of a flat for that journey.

Anywho it's something I have been taking seriously for a week now and hope to stay with it.  I do find that wind lately here has been horrendous and makes me work that much harder.  Still trying to build up my stamina to ride faster and longer.  Those people w the racing shirts and slick helmets that pass me?  That's my goal just without the racing shirts, lol.

Feel free to add tips and trips on here as I am an absolute NEWB to this.

The goal!

Comments

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    Nice bike.
    I got into it the past year too. My brother helped me pick out a nice hybrid - a TREK Marlin 6. It's a great all around bike for both mountain and rail trails. I'm on Strava too just to keep track of everything. The Alltrails app is good for finding trails too.
    You can always go farther than you think :)
    I'd also grab a pair of padded riding shorts, you're butt will thank you later. And with your bike if you grab the clip in pedals and shoes you can up your speed. 
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Nice work.  I am sure you can reach your goal if you continue to work at it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Proper cycling gear is important for comfort as well as speed.
    Proper, well fitted helmet, cycling shorts, and tops make a huge difference.
    Also clip in pedals and shoes will I crease torque, speed, distance, etc.
    30 miles should be easy.
    Even getting to 50 before Thanksgiving should be accomplishable.
    Then next summer completing a century will be within your grasp.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Former everyday cycling commuter here: Be careful with clips.

It's easy to forget you've got them on when just starting out.

And we fall harder now than we used to.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Great tips.  I've got padded shorts and a helmet.  i opted out of the clip ins because I am so new to riding.  I did buy lights for the bike too.

I might try the 30 this weekend.  I believe it's totally obtainable as long as the wind isn't as bad as it has been, lol.

Trying for a century will be an awesome achievement.
  • a5pj said:
    Nice bike.
    I got into it the past year too. My brother helped me pick out a nice hybrid - a TREK Marlin 6. It's a great all around bike for both mountain and rail trails. I'm on Strava too just to keep track of everything. The Alltrails app is good for finding trails too.
    You can always go farther than you think :)
    I'd also grab a pair of padded riding shorts, you're butt will thank you later. And with your bike if you grab the clip in pedals and shoes you can up your speed. 
    I'll check out All trails.  TY!
    dankind said:

Yup, I can vouch for this one. More embarrassing than anything as I was slowing to a stop at a busy intersection and proceeded to just fall over. LOL 

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    edited September 2021
    Thats an awesome  bike.  Good on ya mate. I love cycling.  Never had a good bike. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Welcome to cycling!

I have a Felt that is five years old and it's been great. When not traveling I cycle almost every day, as a cycle commuter, for most of my errands, and for fun. My commute and my fun rides are almost entirely on dedicated cycling or multi-use trails, part of which is gravel, so I need a sturdier hybrid commuter rather than a road bike. I don't treat my bike well and it still shows up for me. Daily commute is about 35 minutes each way but on the weekends I usually try to do at least a couple of hours. Cycling and climbing keep me sane. 

And yes, cycling into the wind sucks!

My main cycling tip, as someone who lives on the wet coast, is to give up on any thought that you will stay dry as you cycle, and just focus on staying comfortable. Get good gear that suits the season, plan to change out of wet gear when you get where you're going, and all will be fine. I don't cycle in the snow, as I had a bad accident more than 25 years ago and it still haunts me :lol:, but I cycle in all other weather. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    a5pj said:
    dankind said:

Yup, I can vouch for this one. More embarrassing than anything as I was slowing to a stop at a busy intersection and proceeded to just fall over. LOL 
    Fun stuff. And there's fuck all you can do to catch yourself by the time you realize it.

There's just that moment of "ah, fuck, so this is happening," and next comes the yummy pavement.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited September 2021
    That is a great looking bike. I have a 2008 (maybe 07, actually ) hybrid Trek that is still in good shape. How long do bike's usually last?

Haven't ridden much over the last couple years though. Need to get back on it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    edited September 2021
    I've always enjoyed biking and in the pandemic when I stopped going to the cushy 24-hour Snap Fitness, I've been riding a lot (in Minnesota, so I also have a treadmill I use a lot in winter).

I have a $600 Marin hybrid that's probably about eight years old by now. I could probably get more speed with a nicer bike but it gets the job done in terms of exercise, which is what matters to me.  I have a trailhead about two blocks away. It's the start of a seven-mile trail that crosses an 18-mile trail (which crosses other trails) so I am riding almost entirely on paved trails.  I moved in April and while I have more immediate access to trails than I did last year, they do cross more at-grade street crossings (which slows me down but I think may be good cardio-wise because I have to slow down and speed up).

Now that I'm 47, I'm doing about 14 to 15 miles a day. Ten years ago I was only doing weekends (while hitting an elliptical or something on weekdays). I'd go about 25 or 30 miles, sometimes Saturday and Sunday. Well, a few years ago my age caught me; I did both days and could barely make it home on Sunday; my legs were jelly. It was sad. So when I started riding every day, I was worried about it, but the 14-15 mile distance seems to be sustainable on a nearly daily basis. (And realistically, I'm not taking 2-hour rides on work days, anyway).

For the last six weeks, I've been running and I hate it. My knees hurt (particularly after two days of Sea Hear Now, LOL). And while I'm probably a really good biker for my age, I don't think I'm a very good runner. I can't wait to bike again! The reason I'm running is because I was riding by myself on a nice paved trail and suddenly my front wheel was perpendicular to the bike.  I went flying and ended up with a small fracture in my forearm. Tomorrow is the day I have marked for a return to biking, per doctor's advice and then four more weeks for normal lifting, so I can't help any of you move!
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Falling on your ass first time you wear the clips is a must experience. Then you look around and yell "I'm good" and there's nobody there anyway.

Yield to cars that are already at a four-way stop sign, since you are supposed to follow rules of the road. Don't give us a bad name.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Falling on your ass first time you wear the clips is a must experience. Then you look around and yell "I'm good" and there's nobody there anyway.

Yield to cars that are already at a four-way stop sign, since you are supposed to follow rules of the road. Don't give us a bad name.

I will modestly say that I never, ever fell using my clips. When I got my first pair of shoes with clips a cycling friend warned me about it and said it was a certainty. He couldn't believe it when I told him I didn't fall in my first week of riding. For years after he kept asking me every time he saw me if I had fallen yet :lol:

I second "obey the rules of the road and don't give us a bad name". The city where I live now has a great cycling culture and a lot of cycle-friendly infrastructure, and I get so pissed when I see cyclists blowing through red lights or riding on the sidewalk. There's enough pushback from the die-hard drivers about all the money spent on cycling infrastructure, no need to make a stronger case for them. 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315

I will modestly say that I never, ever fell using my clips. When I got my first pair of shoes with clips a cycling friend warned me about it and said it was a certainty. He couldn't believe it when I told him I didn't fall in my first week of riding. For years after he kept asking me every time he saw me if I had fallen yet :lol:

My first time wearing them I just stopped and forgot I had them on and just plopped over onto some grass - it was so lame. NBD little scrape or something I think. They do really help you be a much better cyclist. And the padded shorts that people hate how they look. Those are essential too.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    edited September 2021

I did a trial run over the bridge to get a feel of what type of chaos I would endure.  While hand signaling I had a vehicle that paid no mind to me and "raced to the red light".  Never saw me.  I rode by his car and swung my fist at him.  He gave zero fucks...  I'll cross at crosswalks now.  no more lane changes for me, not worth it.  NY is notoriously bad for riding.

I might try to do Breezy this weekend if the weather holds up!
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Welcome to cycling!

I have a Felt that is five years old and it's been great. When not traveling I cycle almost every day, as a cycle commuter, for most of my errands, and for fun. My commute and my fun rides are almost entirely on dedicated cycling or multi-use trails, part of which is gravel, so I need a sturdier hybrid commuter rather than a road bike. I don't treat my bike well and it still shows up for me. Daily commute is about 35 minutes each way but on the weekends I usually try to do at least a couple of hours. Cycling and climbing keep me sane. 

And yes, cycling into the wind sucks!

My main cycling tip, as someone who lives on the wet coast, is to give up on any thought that you will stay dry as you cycle, and just focus on staying comfortable. Get good gear that suits the season, plan to change out of wet gear when you get where you're going, and all will be fine. I don't cycle in the snow, as I had a bad accident more than 25 years ago and it still haunts me :lol:, but I cycle in all other weather. 
    Thanks Often!
    I didn't plan on riding in any inclement weather.  I'm a fair weather type of person at the moment.  Riding in the rain does not equal a good time for me...

I rode to work my 2nd day w the bike and not too sure I want to do it again.  People are horrible drivers out here.  I think I will stick to the trails.  Also reason I didn't do the gravel bike/Hybrid is that I don't have any trails like that near me.  We have a bunch of designated bike paths by the bigger parks so that is why I was sold on the road bike.  I live right by a boardwalk that is a 5 mile round trip an 6 mile total from door and back so if I do quick rides I have that at least.

Everyone keep posting.  I love the clip on stories, lol!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited September 2021

I did a trial run over the bridge to get a feel of what type of chaos I would endure.  While hand signaling I had a vehicle that paid no mind to me and "raced to the red light".  Never saw me.  I rode by his car and swung my fist at him.  He gave zero fucks...  I'll cross at crosswalks now.  no more lane changes for me, not worth it.  NY is notoriously bad for riding.

I might try to do Breezy this weekend if the weather holds up!

At least once a month I double bird a driver.  Generally it is when they are going much faster than speed limit and racing through a red light (which was yellow 50 yards back when they decided to floor it), when there is a crosswalk and they go much faster than speed limit and pay no attention to the person obviously waiting to cross, or (my personal favorite) when they go up to a red light and I have a cross signal in front of them, but they dont really even slow at the red because they are looking to the left and dont see anyone (totally missing the runner who has the light telling them to cross) and turns right w/o stopping/looking. 
    This last person usually gets my headphones out, stopping/screaming at them, with both middle fingers flying.

I learned to pretty much assume that the person in the car is going to do the wrong thing. 

I would be more concerned on a bike than on my feet.
    Yeah, these bike stories about cars. It's the reason I don't ride on roads, and even when my family and I are riding around our very calm town, I'm still looking all over for cars. It's not fun or worth it. I'd love to get a road bike and commute, but again, not worth it for me.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Cycling on the road in my neck of the woods is not recommended…people drive like shit around here…I’m close to an old rail  trail system.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Cycling on the road in my neck of the woods is not recommended…people drive like shit around here…I’m close to an old rail  trail system.

God i feel that
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Cycling on the road in my neck of the woods is not recommended…people drive like shit around here…I’m close to an old rail  trail system.

When I did street and freestyle some of my friends bought these for the track.

No fucking Thank You!!!  Even w shin guards that I wore I wouldn't buy these...
    Bear Trap Pedals  SE BIKES
    I know that I'm lucky to be in a relatively cycle-friendly city, but it still has its fair share of asshole drivers, or just unaware drivers. "Head on a swivel" is the rule - look everywhere, all the time, and don't assume anyone will obey the rules of the road (drivers, pedestrians, other cyclists...).
  • I know that I'm lucky to be in a relatively cycle-friendly city, but it still has its fair share of asshole drivers, or just unaware drivers. "Head on a swivel" is the rule - look everywhere, all the time, and don't assume anyone will obey the rules of the road (drivers, pedestrians, other cyclists...).
    Good advice for runners as well. 
  • I know that I'm lucky to be in a relatively cycle-friendly city, but it still has its fair share of asshole drivers, or just unaware drivers. "Head on a swivel" is the rule - look everywhere, all the time, and don't assume anyone will obey the rules of the road (drivers, pedestrians, other cyclists...).
    Yeah, my exact actions of doing that is why I an write this today or I'd have been toast yesterday.
  • Have been doing only about 6 miles a day but working on speed to give my lungs and heart a good workout.

Took advantage of a horrible parking situation this weekend so my truck is parked and not moving until Monday.  Rode into work instead of uber.

Will look to do another 20 mile trek this weekend!
    Good for you, keep at it.  Sucks that the weather will change, quickly, but enjoy as much as you can & then you can let the anticipation build for springtime. 
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Look at indoor trainers for the winter months if you want to keep going year round. You essentially hook your bike up to a machine and can virtually ride 
    I am replacing my Tacx Neo and use the Zwift app.
    really fun to get you through the winter months, keeps you motivated, and you are not starting over for fitness level when you can get outside again
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    Starting the work day with a ride is the way to go. You feel great when you arrive, all energetic and alive, and at the end of the day the ride home clears your mind of any work issues and you get home feeling good instead of drained and annoyed. 
  • Starting the work day with a ride is the way to go. You feel great when you arrive, all energetic and alive, and at the end of the day the ride home clears your mind of any work issues and you get home feeling good instead of drained and annoyed. 
    I found a new way to go so i am not near the hectic traffic so yes, I agree with the mind and vigor!