*** San Francisco I Fanviews 7/15 Here ***

Comments

• MeijinMeijin Posts: 51
    SF1... what a show.

After a mellow Santa Barbara show (which did rock, but mellow vibe), SF1 was one of those take-no-prisoners, million miles an hour nights.

I got to the venue at about 5:00 and saw a line wrapped around the corner of the venue. So I began the march to the back of the line... which kept going... and going... and going... Finally, we found the end and waited for an hour.

BG Civic Auditorium is not a big place. Great venue to see a band. I scored lower balcony all three nights and the sightlines were great, the acoustics dead on.

When the set started with Of The Girl, I thought it was going to be kind of a mid-tempo, slow burn kind of evening. How wrong I was. Go followed it, and at this point, there was no looking back. As soon as one song was over, the next was off and running within a matter of seconds. No between-song banter. This show was all business.

Truth be told, this is the one show that's hardest to remember, just by virtue of the following two nights. Parachutes was much better placed here than it had been in Vegas. And for those following the tour in CA, this was reverse mamasan #2. I remember the second Footsteps started, I knew it was coming but I could hardly believe it.

A big highlight for me was God's Dice and Present Tense. Great pairing. God's Dice works so well with the new material, and is such a killer up-tempo rocker and doesn't get enough rotation. Couple that with the slow build of Present Tense... awesome pairing.

But the big surprise was Bu$hleaguer. Didn't see that coming at all, and it was good to actually hear it live -- I never thought I would. Still not a vital part of the catalog, but fun nonetheless.

Energy on this show was killer, so many choice moments -- Wasted Reprise->Life Wasted is an awesome one-two punch. Spin The Black Circle? Are you kidding me? Couldn't believe I'd heard it, especially with Comatose in such heavy rotation.

Not much to say... great show, insane energy from the crowd... ALMOST the best night of the SF trio. But not quite.
  • kalikatkalikat Posts: 68
    K270 wrote:
    Speaking of pictures I have a question. Why did Mike keep on pointing during the show. Was he doing that for people taking pictures. I know as I left I was behind a young lady who happened to get a shot of Mike doing the pointing. It was a damn good picture.

I don't know if he was pointing for people to take a pic of him, lots of people got some great shots tho.
    Personally I think he was just over the top into it, and had to shoot the energy out of his fingertip or else he would have imploded.
    ;)
    **There is a sickness, a sickness coming over me - like watching freedom, being sucked straight out to sea**
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    kalikat wrote:
    I don't know if he was pointing for people to take a pic of him, lots of people got some great shots tho.
    Personally I think he was just over the top into it, and had to shoot the energy out of his fingertip or else he would have imploded.
    ;)
    Yeah, I'll tell you what, there's no place I'd rather be than right in front of Mike. He does such a great job at involving the crowd and making us feel special.
  • Wasn't there. But this is now my favorite boot of the tour, though I haven't listened to SF 3 yet. The energy of the entire show reminds me of boots from the old days. Thanks for the fanviews.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    raypou wrote:
    Wow, this show, as well as sunday's, both rocked. I saw them in Camden earlier this year, and while I enjoyed camden a bit more, the layout and the GA floor setup were waaaay better. I ended up in the lawn cause my friend bought the camden tix, but SF had a much more intimate feel to it, with the whole crowd right there. Absolutely stunning, I'll be heading up there again tonite!

Wow. I was at both Camden shows, and I didn't think they were even in the same ballpark with the SF shows. Seriously. Not even close. The band was better. The crowd was better. The sets were better. But I guess we all hear different things.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    awesome
  • noellenoelle Posts: 7
    dana_b wrote:
    Ahhhh! That picture is of my friend Jennifer and my daughter is on the right side (Jennifer's left)!! She really wasn't sleepy or bored, it's just a bad shot of her! I was on my daughter's left.

Here's some other pictures that are quite good! Especially for all the Vedheads ;)

http://www.livedaily.com/photos/238-31.html

WOW. GREAT PHOTOS.THE LIGHTS ILLUMINATING ED'S HAIR MAKE HIM LOOK LIKE THE ROCK GOD THAT HE IS.
  • K270 wrote:
    Speaking of pictures I have a question. Why did Mike keep on pointing during the show. Was he doing that for people taking pictures. I know as I left I was behind a young lady who happened to get a shot of Mike doing the pointing. It was a damn good picture.

yeah it was for pictures. maybe that young lady was me? it was towards the end of the set.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/2688/mikeqy6.jpg

it looks blurry whenever i upload it but the real thing looks great!
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • hmp63098hmp63098 Posts: 1
    This was my wife and I's first Pearl Jam show....and wow, it was awesome. Eddie sounded awesome all night and he seemed to be so into it. Rockin was the best, Alive kicked ass and the Nathional Anthem at the end seemed like the perfect ending.
    Well, after the show my wife and I went to the side of the building where these two black vans were parked next to a door. We sat across the street for awile to see if this is where the band members might check out of the building. Believe me were not stalkers or anything, we just decided to hang around to see if we might get lucky and get an autograph. About an hour after the show about 15 of us including my wife see these black security guys come outside, so we walk over, and out comes Mike and Jeff and they just come over and start signing autographs and shaking hands. And then Mike say's," we didn't miss anybody did we?" It just made our day. Anyway we got a couple of autographs on our tickets. But what sucks is that we waited and waited and waited for another hour to see if Eddie would leave. By this time there was only about ten of us. Security kept saying he left, but we were not friggin stupid, security is still all there and black van so we know he's still there. Well, I couldn't wait anymore, it was like 1:30 in the AM. So we decided to leave and come back with the car. We pull up and all the people are leaving, and they say that we just had missed him. I guess he came down and talked, shook hands and signed autographs. And we missed it.
    Sorry for the long story but it was the experience of a lifetime.
  • K270K270 Posts: 6
    yeah it was for pictures. maybe that young lady was me? it was towards the end of the set.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/2688/mikeqy6.jpg

it looks blurry whenever i upload it but the real thing looks great!

It could of been you, I know I complemented her on the pic as we were going out the front doors. Yours is a great pic also if your not the same lady.
  • cuchetticuchetti Posts: 7
    This show was it!...
    From song one, straight through to the end it rocked the house!!!
    As much energy as any I've seen. Takes me back to 95 and
    the Madhouse on McDowell in Phoenix with the Ramones opening.
    The light show was much better but I still miss the giant candles
    around the stage. Special thanx to the SB fans for getting Stone
    going. I must say he was on from that night right through to the last
    SF show. Go fellas GO!
  • romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    I'm listening to the boot right now... let me tell you... I'm so jealous!!!!!!

One of the best shows I've heard so far.... amazing!! Still have to listen to the rest of the tour but this one is a gem!!

I'm glad for those who were there!!!
    Congrats!
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I was being crushed to death 2nd row, Mikes side. General ad was great!!! I would have never been this close if not..

Of the Girl opener!!! Absolutely loved it!

Why Go, just was banging!. I was greatful when Parachutes and Footsteps were played. It gave the crowd a chance to calm the fuck down and quit pushing and shoving. Drunk fucking college age guys trying to be all cool like they knew how to mosh! Please! Just enjoy the music, and don't be so violent! I started in front of master modeler and his girlfriend, but ended up about 20 people to the left. Lucky for me though, I was able to fight 2 other chics for a Mike pick!

Loved Bushleauger!!!!!!! That was a highlight for me, plus Indifference. I would have loved to have felt the energy to that song, but it's hard to when your're being shoved around.

I was able to score a poster, but by the time the show had ended, the army jacket design looked like it had been through a war!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    yahamita wrote:
    I was being crushed to death 2nd row, Mikes side. General ad was great!!! I would have never been this close if not..

Of the Girl opener!!! Absolutely loved it!

Why Go, just was banging!. I was greatful when Parachutes and Footsteps were played. It gave the crowd a chance to calm the fuck down and quit pushing and shoving. Drunk fucking college age guys trying to be all cool like they knew how to mosh! Please! Just enjoy the music, and don't be so violent! I started in front of master modeler and his girlfriend, but ended up about 20 people to the left. Lucky for me though, I was able to fight 2 other chics for a Mike pick!

Loved Bushleauger!!!!!!! That was a highlight for me, plus Indifference. I would have loved to have felt the energy to that song, but it's hard to when your're being shoved around.

I was able to score a poster, but by the time the show had ended, the army jacket design looked like it had been through a war!

I'm bummed I didn't get to see you in SF! :(
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • I'm bummed I didn't get to see you in SF! :(
    Hey, were you the girl with the Jeff sign on night 2?
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Here I am... San Francisco. The first of 3 nights at the end of my tour.
    Spending the night on the sidewalk, across the street from City Hall... you become aware why former President Ford once called San Francisco the 'Fruit and Nut' capital of America. you'd be surprized at the type of person you come across at 3:27 A.M. up there.
    That time on the sidewalk was time well spent. By the time we got in, we ended up right in front, along the railing. This was a first for me... I have had great seats before, but never right in front. I know it sounds a bit selfish... and I admit it is... but, the way I see it... I put forth the effort to get here by spending the night, standing guard over my friends to make sure the streets did them no harm. And it was a goal of mine to see at least one show from a completely unobstructed view.
    I think this excitement added to the show. i cannot explain the feeling... there are no words that can express how it felt. I looked down the railling and all i saw were the faces of my friends and new friends along the rail. I know that many of them have high membership numbers, yet... there they were. A truely great feeling.
    And when I said, it added to the show... I mean it. Like, I have heard 'Evenflow' a bunch of times... but, that night, it was completely different. We're all singing and bouncing and smiles and i really think the band felt our energy, which translated to more energy onstage. I don't know if that's true... but, I'll tell myself it is. And Mike... it's always great to hear what he's doing, but to be right there and see what he is doing... amazing.
    Being General Admission does have it's downside, though. Mainly, the people trying to force their way past. And the crush... it really sucks for the shorter gals. A gal behind me... well, I felt bad for her. I know she had a hard time trying to see over my 6'1" frame... and I would have swapped places with her, but I was already standing behind my shorter gal friends to protect them from the crowd. Over the course of the show, I know she was getting shoved around... and to dudes out there... if you want to get to the front by shoving your way up... don't be pussies and shove little girls around. If you're gonna fuck with someone, fuck with some dude... fuck with me... just don't be a gal beating pussy.
    Anyway, when Ed was passing out the tamborines, he pointed me out and this time I got it. I ended up handing it to that gal... because she probably saw more of the back of my shirt than the show and I figured, it's a small concession and it'll make it seem not so bad to her. and it all worked out... during 'Yellow Ledbetter' Ed got one last tamborine and said, "No... this one's for you". Thanx, Ed.. that was nice of you.
    It was an amazing night... so amazing that when they kicked us out of the auditorium, we went back outside and sttod in line for the next show. Kooky? Yeah... I admit it... but, really... no one knows if this opportunity will ever pop up again, right?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • What a Tool
    I wanna tell you that I love you, but does it really matter? ...first show 12-31-91 w/RHCP and Nirvana.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    What a Tool fan
    Yeah... I like Tool.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    wow, cosmo, that was very generous of you! I was at those three shows too and I have to say that I must have lucked out or something because the guys around us were cool and tried not to push on us unless it was just unavoidable.
  • Hey, were you the girl with the Jeff sign on night 2?

I was the girl with the Jeff signs for all 3 shows..
    were you on stones side for the last 2 shows? thats where i was for the last two nights and the first night i was right in front of Jeff...
    Maybe you were one of the nice guys keeping my ALIVe during the last two shows..if you were
    thanks!
  • dana_b wrote:
    wow, cosmo, that was very generous of you! I was at those three shows too and I have to say that I must have lucked out or something because the guys around us were cool and tried not to push on us unless it was just unavoidable.

Cosmo is the BEST!!! BTW thanks again for the room the night before SF 3 Cosmo! You rule!!

Dana...we really lucked out with people around us at all 3 shows. The first night was the best in terms of people behind us. They really worked hard to protect us on the rail and were total strangers to them, and for that I thank them! Third night it was a litte dicy early on, but I've been through worse (audioslave show in front of Tom). Thanks to Stoney and Ed for their words, and the people right behind us...they were the best...it was the people further back that were causing the probems.

I really enjoyed hanging with you and your daugther btw...and I LOVED your pics. I gotta find that link again cause I saw them on Lydia's laptop, but not since I've been back on my comp. I know u got some great shots where u can REALLY see Ed's eyes.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    It was really cool to meet and hang out with you too! We met some really good people at those shows.

I don't remember getting any good pics like that... sorry! It must have been someone else. Oh wait, I remember posting a link to the Live Daily shots! Maybe that's what you're talking about. Those were really good though.
  • I was the girl with the Jeff signs for all 3 shows..
    were you on stones side for the last 2 shows? thats where i was for the last two nights and the first night i was right in front of Jeff...
    Maybe you were one of the nice guys keeping my ALIVe during the last two shows..if you were
    thanks!
    lol...uhhh, no, I was on Mike's side for the first two shows. I was the guy that you thought was trying to sell you drugs in the SF2 line on the sidewalk. :) Jeff threw a pick my way and it went right through my fingers....I later cut my fingers off as punishment for missing out on such an opportunity.
  • lol...uhhh, no, I was on Mike's side for the first two shows. I was the guy that you thought was trying to sell you drugs in the SF2 line on the sidewalk. :) Jeff threw a pick my way and it went right through my fingers....I later cut my fingers off as punishment for missing out on such an opportunity.

ohhhhhhhh my God i totally remember you!
    Werent you just asking me if i wanted to take a shower or something!??
    It was just the way you came up to me all secretive it scared me! Oh well, thanks for the offer anyway! Sleeping on the streets of S.F for 3 nights will do that to ya. after a while i thought everyone was trying to sell my drugs! Those were good times.
  • Not only an almost fist time poster, but this was actually my very fist pearl jam show, Which is understandable since i'm only 14. I was over on mike's side, right behind the mosh pit, i was almost pushed in several time, but a group of hardcore fans next to me helped me stay out. I spent about three months trying to earn enough money to buy my $300 plane tickets, $60 for tickets, and $120 for spending money, i was lucky enough though to have a hardcore pj fan who lived in carmel, who i could stay with. We went up the balconly and find my friend's dad (he left to smoke right before pj started, and couldn't get to us) after the main set, i immediately regretting the decision when they started playing evenflow, it would have been fun to experience. Even though i was up at the balcony when it he did it, i loved it when Eddie Vedder talked, like the spin the black circle (which was especially special because it was my favorite song asbefore the show) of 30-minutes The mosh pitters really pissed me off, they had to regard at all for the people around them.

Pretty much this has been the greatest experience of my life, and it was even cooler since i went without my parents!
  • ohhhhhhhh my God i totally remember you!
    Werent you just asking me if i wanted to take a shower or something!??
    It was just the way you came up to me all secretive it scared me! Oh well, thanks for the offer anyway! Sleeping on the streets of S.F for 3 nights will do that to ya. after a while i thought everyone was trying to sell my drugs! Those were good times.
    That's funny. Man, if anything has ever smelt like piss, it was that street. My friend Holly was going to the hotel room...I had just taken a shower and you commented that you were jealous or something. I felt bad because we were all in line and some of us left for a bit and some stayed there all fucking day and night and never moved. So....I didn't want to announce it to everyone because I didn't want to cause problems at the hotel we were staying at, so I crouched down and maybe said it kinda softly, but Holly was going to the room and thought you might want to go with her and take a shower.

Sorry but I had to clear that up so it didn't seem like I was luring you into the shower or something....hahaha. Anyway, the paranoia is pretty funny looking back. I might be kind of scary looking too so you might have a case with the drug dealing thing. Yeah, great time....some of my best memories on Earth will be those couple of days in San Fran.
  • That's funny. Man, if anything has ever smelt like piss, it was that street. My friend Holly was going to the hotel room...I had just taken a shower and you commented that you were jealous or something. I felt bad because we were all in line and some of us left for a bit and some stayed there all fucking day and night and never moved. So....I didn't want to announce it to everyone because I didn't want to cause problems at the hotel we were staying at, so I crouched down and maybe said it kinda softly, but Holly was going to the room and thought you might want to go with her and take a shower.

Sorry but I had to clear that up so it didn't seem like I was luring you into the shower or something....hahaha. Anyway, the paranoia is pretty funny looking back. I might be kind of scary looking too so you might have a case with the drug dealing thing. Yeah, great time....some of my best memories on Earth will be those couple of days in San Fran.

Trying to avoid problems in the line was virtually impossible!! God forbid you wanted to leave and take a shower or something YOUR NOT A REAL FAN! Despite all that though it was so amazing. I met a lot more wonderful people (you included) than assholes so it was well worth it. did i tell you i met JEFF after the second S.F show! God, freaking AMAZING. Man, i would give anything to go back to sleeping on that pissed stained floor on those cold ass nights....its sort of sad if you think about it....
  • dana_b wrote:
    It was really cool to meet and hang out with you too! We met some really good people at those shows.

I don't remember getting any good pics like that... sorry! It must have been someone else. Oh wait, I remember posting a link to the Live Daily shots! Maybe that's what you're talking about. Those were really good though.

Oh that could be. I was REALLY tired that night so I don't remember the link. I'd love to see those pics again tho...whose ever they were lol.

I met some really cool people at those shows too. Man I'm jonesing for live PJ again. :(
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz