The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    First you have to capture all that excess rain water, and what makes you think that those us in who have water want to share it with places that waste water?  Have over populated their regions and continue to over populate.  You need to fix that.

build desalination plants, yes.

I live in the Great Lakes region and I know their are treaties that govern who can take water out of the lakes?  So it’s not so easy to just build a pipeline…and seriously Bill Maher?  Hoe long would it take for California to use up storm water from that storm.

The only solution for California is desalinization plants…or for Mother Nature to co-operate.

what makes you think that those us in who have water want to share it with places that waste water?
    What makes me think?  My brain and my willingness to use it.  And because you are so sweet and kind and full of love, love, love.  *Heart*
    Have over populated their regions and continue to over populate.  You need to fix that.
    Oh no I don't!  I was born here in 1951 and had nothing to do with my birth.  Besides, the population at that time was about 28% of what it is today.  AND I never reproduced.  AND the whole friggin world is overpopulated, but you knew that.  AND your part of the world has a greater density of population and relies on the food we export.
    So it’s not so easy to just build a pipeline…and seriously Bill Maher?
    Sure it is.  There are pipelines all over the place that carry toxic materials like gas and oil.  At least this would be a clean pipeline.
    The only solution for California is desalinization plants…or for Mother Nature to co-operate.
    Agreed on desalinization.  If Israel can do it, we can do it.
    Mother Nature doesn't need to cooperate.  She is doing what she does which is to work hard to restore the balance of nature.  That is why we have COVID and wildfires and hurricanes and floods, etc...  We are the ones who need to cooperate by lowering our reproduction rate and living lighter on this earth that sustains us. 
    And therein lies the crux of the situation.  Pipelines and desalinization are artificial solutions to human caused problems and until we learn to live in balance with nature, we will continue to have these problems.  But I still think the water pipeline is a good idea because until we do that, we need water- plain and simple. 

And why are you so adverse to sharing in the first place?  The west grows more food than we consume.  Do you want us to stop sharing it?  What about the technology that comes from California?  Should we keep that to ourselves as well. 

I’m in Canada, why would I want to share our most precious resource with the us.  Let’s get one thing straight, when US hospitals were dumping vaccines that were expired and your neighbour to North who could have used those vaccines and were begging for these vaccines your president said no..

Life is a 2 way street…your country  couldn’t even share a life saving drug with their neighbours…

The US is a country that is selfish and only cares about themselves anymore…
    /

https://www.statista.com/statistics/275597/largers-donor-countries-of-aid-worldwide/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/09/covid-us-is-the-worlds-largest-donor-of-vaccines-data-shows.html

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    First you have to capture all that excess rain water, and what makes you think that those us in who have water want to share it with places that waste water?  Have over populated their regions and continue to over populate.  You need to fix that.

build desalination plants, yes.

I live in the Great Lakes region and I know their are treaties that govern who can take water out of the lakes?  So it’s not so easy to just build a pipeline…and seriously Bill Maher?  Hoe long would it take for California to use up storm water from that storm.

what makes you think that those us in who have water want to share it with places that waste water?
    What makes me think?  My brain and my willingness to use it.  And because you are so sweet and kind and full of love, love, love.  *Heart*
    Have over populated their regions and continue to over populate.  You need to fix that.
    Oh no I don't!  I was born here in 1951 and had nothing to do with my birth.  Besides, the population at that time was about 28% of what it is today.  AND I never reproduced.  AND the whole friggin world is overpopulated, but you knew that.  AND your part of the world has a greater density of population and relies on the food we export.
    So it’s not so easy to just build a pipeline…and seriously Bill Maher?
    Sure it is.  There are pipelines all over the place that carry toxic materials like gas and oil.  At least this would be a clean pipeline.
    Agreed on desalinization.  If Israel can do it, we can do it.
    Mother Nature doesn't need to cooperate.  She is doing what she does which is to work hard to restore the balance of nature.  That is why we have COVID and wildfires and hurricanes and floods, etc...  We are the ones who need to cooperate by lowering our reproduction rate and living lighter on this earth that sustains us. 
    And therein lies the crux of the situation.  Pipelines and desalinization are artificial solutions to human caused problems and until we learn to live in balance with nature, we will continue to have these problems.  But I still think the water pipeline is a good idea because until we do that, we need water- plain and simple. 

And why are you so adverse to sharing in the first place?  The west grows more food than we consume.  Do you want us to stop sharing it?  What about the technology that comes from California?  Should we keep that to ourselves as well. 

I’m in Canada, why would I want to share our most precious resource with the us.  Let’s get one thing straight, when US hospitals were dumping vaccines that were expired and your neighbour to North who could have used those vaccines and were begging for these vaccines your president said no..

Life is a 2 way street…your country  couldn’t even share a life saving drug with their neighbours…

The US is a country that is selfish and only cares about themselves anymore…
    /

https://www.statista.com/statistics/275597/largers-donor-countries-of-aid-worldwide/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/09/covid-us-is-the-worlds-largest-donor-of-vaccines-data-shows.html

facts. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I'm surprised by some of the good folks here (who I often have agreed with on other subjects and to whom I hold no ill will at all) have a rather negative attitude about piping water to California- especially because it sounds like this is more about "screw you California" than it is about the feasibility of piping water.  And don't get me wrong- as a long-time native of this state, I have leveled many criticisms over the years for various things that have happened here. 
    One of the anti water piping criticisms is that the west is over-populated.  Well, yes it is, but that criticism seems like an ironic statement when you look at how the population of eastern America has gotten so sense that this region cannot supply enough food to feed itself and much of what supplements that supply comes from California.  You say, "No water for you!"  Should we reply. "Oh yeah?  Well then, no food for you!"  No!  I would not say that!  We need to work together.  Why is it so hard for us to be cooperative?  Is this they way of the world today? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I've only seen one "screw california" post. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I've only seen one "screw california" post. 

I was thinking at least a couple, but I might have misinterpreted one or two.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    brianlux said:
    I'm surprised by some of the good folks here (who I often have agreed with on other subjects and to whom I hold no ill will at all) have a rather negative attitude about piping water to California- especially because it sounds like this is more about "screw you California" than it is about the feasibility of piping water.  And don't get me wrong- as a long-time native of this state, I have leveled many criticisms over the years for various things that have happened here. 
    One of the anti water piping criticisms is that the west is over-populated.  Well, yes it is, but that criticism seems like an ironic statement when you look at how the population of eastern America has gotten so sense that this region cannot supply enough food to feed itself and much of what supplements that supply comes from California.  You say, "No water for you!"  Should we reply. "Oh yeah?  Well then, no food for you!"  No!  I would not say that!  We need to work together.  Why is it so hard for us to be cooperative?  Is this they way of the world today? 

Is the argument really let the water go down the sewer and into the ocean? Maher was talking about capturing the excess rain water wasted and not used. 
    brianlux said:

Is the argument really let the water go down the sewer and into the ocean? Maher was talking about capturing the excess rain water wasted and not used. 
    "capturing the excess rain water wasted and not used"

Exactly.  And I don't think anyone expects this to happen with the snap of a finger.  It would be a big project, but doable.  I mean, if we could build a transcontinental railroad 152 years ago (17 years before the first automobile was patented) I'm sure we could build a water pipeline. 
    And contrary to the notion that this water would be "stolen" or taken for free, that's so unlikely.  I have no doubt the east coast would benefit financially from this.  I mean, think about it- when you buy bottled water in a grocery store, you are very likely paying more for it than you are for gasoline, especially in those wasteful 12oz/155ml bottles.  Water has value!  Like it or not, it's a commodity.
    And what about catch a basins system in cities where building and home owners and renters would be paid for the water captured?  You can bet entrepreneurs will be all over this, and anyone who can earn some money being involved in the process.  This whole notion of California "stealing" water is just silly.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…

Oh the irony!  :lol: 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

"capturing the excess rain water wasted and not used"

Exactly.  And I don't think anyone expects this to happen with the snap of a finger.  It would be a big project, but doable.  I mean, if we could build a transcontinental railroad 152 years ago (17 years before the first automobile was patented) I'm sure we could build a water pipeline. 
    And contrary to the notion that this water would be "stolen" or taken for free, that's so unlikely.  I have no doubt the east coast would benefit financially from this.  I mean, think about it- when you buy bottled water in a grocery store, you are very likely paying more for it than you are for gasoline, especially in those wasteful 12oz/155ml bottles.  Water has value!  Like it or not, it's a commodity.
    And what about catch a basins system in cities where building and home owners and renters would be paid for the water captured?  You can bet entrepreneurs will be all over this, and anyone who can earn some money being involved in the process.  This whole notion of California "stealing" water is just silly.
    "hey, honey, jesus, our water reserve was stolen again". 

imagine that world. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

What irony…lmfao
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

What irony…lmfao

McDonald's gives a whole new meaning to that Kermit phrase, "It's not easy being green"!

giving McDonald's credit for going green on their toys is like me being proud of recycling a coffee cup while tossing all my garbage in the river. come on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

giving McDonald's credit for going green on their toys is like me being proud of recycling a coffee cup while tossing all my garbage in the river. come on. 

Haha!  Well said!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

What irony…lmfao

McDonald's gives a whole new meaning to that Kermit phrase, "It's not easy being green"!
    I get it now.  Lol.

i just wonder why 2025?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I just thought the McDonald’s toy thing was interesting…I’m not to worried about McDonalds…they provide kids and young people a good first job..And in Ontario that’s a 14.00/hour job.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • I just thought the McDonald’s toy thing was interesting…I’m not to worried about McDonalds…they provide kids and young people a good first job..And in Ontario that’s a 14.00/hour job.
    Those are careers here now.  The whole living wage thing.  It's a step in the right direction.
    I just thought the McDonald’s toy thing was interesting…I’m not to worried about McDonalds…they provide kids and young people a good first job..And in Ontario that’s a 14.00/hour job.
    Those are careers here now.  The whole living wage thing.  It's a step in the right direction.
    Good point.  Minimum wage should be closer to 17/18 in Ontario…fuck it’s expensive here now…

im glad I’m semi retired and own my home…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
     Housing in Alaska can’t survive climate change. This group is trying a new model.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2021/09/24/alaska-housing-climate-change/

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
     Housing in Alaska can’t survive climate change. This group is trying a new model.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2021/09/24/alaska-housing-climate-change/

As much as some of those folks losing their home is a real problem, the greater problem of course is the melting of tundra permafrost releasing carbon dioxide and methane which in turn accelerate global warming.  A vicious cycle that won't likely end in any of our lifetimes. We'll have to adapt or die and hopefully change by starting to do something to reduce our global impact.  Fat chance?  We'll see.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

As much as some of those folks losing their home is a real problem, the greater problem of course is the melting of tundra permafrost releasing carbon dioxide and methane which in turn accelerate global warming.  A vicious cycle that won't likely end in any of our lifetimes. We'll have to adapt or die and hopefully change by starting to do something to reduce our global impact.  Fat chance?  We'll see.

agree but housing solutions for largely native populations who have been there since they first crossed the straight is important.

we are past the point of stopping or slowing the thaw of permafrost. we cant or wont do more to slow our carbon use in the first place and some of the alternatives have their own devasting impacts in extraction(lithium) much less whats as yet unknown on the end of life of that stuff.

we really need to be modeling what all that carbon and methane release looks like and find ways to adapt for that reality.

otherhand, this will be how mother nature reduces populations to more sustainable levels.

the planet will live on.  life, in various forms will as well. question is , how many humans will that include.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:

It's not so much climate change as they were shitty houses to begin with.  I'm surprised the guy in the sod house isn't having more problems.  That is a really neat idea he learned from the ancestors of the area.

Over in the coal communities many of the houses were built pretty poorly too.  No insulation as they used coal to heat their houses which used to be cheap and abundant.
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

agree but housing solutions for largely native populations who have been there since they first crossed the straight is important.

we are past the point of stopping or slowing the thaw of permafrost. we cant or wont do more to slow our carbon use in the first place and some of the alternatives have their own devasting impacts in extraction(lithium) much less whats as yet unknown on the end of life of that stuff.

we really need to be modeling what all that carbon and methane release looks like and find ways to adapt for that reality.

otherhand, this will be how mother nature reduces populations to more sustainable levels.

the planet will live on.  life, in various forms will as well. question is , how many humans will that include.
    Agreed on all points.  Especially regarding native populations in Alaska.  They've been getting screwed one way or another since day one of outsiders taking over.
    mickeyrat said:

It's not so much climate change as they were shitty houses to begin with.  I'm surprised the guy in the sod house isn't having more problems.  That is a really neat idea he learned from the ancestors of the area.

Over in the coal communities many of the houses were built pretty poorly too.  No insulation as they used coal to heat their houses which used to be cheap and abundant.
    It sounds like a lot of those houses were thrown up during the oil pipeline construction.  Sadly, housing for working stiff in industry have often been the shits.

• brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Agreed on all points.  Especially regarding native populations in Alaska.  They've been getting screwed one way or another since day one of outsiders taking over.
    mickeyrat said:

It sounds like a lot of those houses were thrown up during the oil pipeline construction.  Sadly, housing for working stiff in industry have often been the shits.

Yes that is why I mentioned the coal mining areas.  They threw those up too and people are still living in them.

Ford goes all-in on electric vehicles with massive multibillion-dollar investment

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2021/09/27/ford-motor-company-all-electric-vehicles/5884985001/
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

Yes that is why I mentioned the coal mining areas.  They threw those up too and people are still living in them.

Disgraceful.  Reminds me of Grapes of Wrath

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

Disgraceful.  Reminds me of Grapes of Wrath
    Funny you mention that as it was during that time period when a bunch of towns were made in the coal boom.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945

Ford goes all-in on electric vehicles with massive multibillion-dollar investment

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2021/09/27/ford-motor-company-all-electric-vehicles/5884985001/

I hope they extend electrics to smaller trucks like the ranger or maverick.  Would love me an electric compact 4x4 truck :)