Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Hey @beano.79 How are you feeling? I hope your Covid symptoms have stayed mild.
  • GlowGirl said:
    Hey! I feel OK thanks. I have 3 days of isolation left. I have been shut away in the bedroom away from my wife and little girl and it's torture! But their tests remain negative so far so it's worth it. I'm still not 100% but so far it has all been on the mild side. The main thing is fatigue... The house was empty today so I took a little stroll around the garden.... I needed a rest afterwards 😂
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Good update and hope the fatigue goes away soon!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Hey! I feel OK thanks. I have 3 days of isolation left. I have been shut away in the bedroom away from my wife and little girl and it's torture! But their tests remain negative so far so it's worth it. I'm still not 100% but so far it has all been on the mild side. The main thing is fatigue... The house was empty today so I took a little stroll around the garden.... I needed a rest afterwards 😂
    Glad you are feeling better. In such a short time you went from running 100 miles to feeling tired from a short stroll. Covid is a bitch. But it sounds like you are on the mend. I am so glad your wife and daughter are ok. Hang in there. You all will be together soon. Speedy recovery!!
  • Thanks peeps.

I feel 2 or 3 weeks of no running ahead. Which in the long run probably isn't a bad thing. December and training for the ultra tour of Arran starts!

How's everyone's running going?
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I recently switched from road running to treadmill, and it has been so much kinder to my body. I knew that this would be the case, but was holding off for as long as possible, because I love to pass the scenery as I run through the countryside around here. But I guess I'm preserving myself so that I can be in better condition when I go on my country runs more sporadically. I had an ankle injury earlier this year which prompted this.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    beano.79 said:
    Thanks peeps.

I feel 2 or 3 weeks of no running ahead. Which in the long run probably isn't a bad thing. December and training for the ultra tour of Arran starts!

How's everyone's running going?

Holy FSM, just checked out the Tour of Arran.  That is so cool.  I would say "oh, hell yes!" had I not done the mountain summit I did earlier this year.  Perhaps if I did not have on road shoes I would have fared better but my feet about fell off.  I see that these mountains are not the type that I went up/down (over 5,300 feet 1,600 meters) however there is all of the running around the up/down on the mountains. 
    Looks wild -- and beautiful.

So you are training for April?
    You also doing this with your cousin?

I recently switched from road running to treadmill, and it has been so much kinder to my body. I knew that this would be the case, but was holding off for as long as possible, because I love to pass the scenery as I run through the countryside around here. But I guess I'm preserving myself so that I can be in better condition when I go on my country runs more sporadically. I had an ankle injury earlier this year which prompted this.

What sort of distances are you putting in on the treadmill?
    What did you do to your ankle?

Curious on these, as I have a shit treadmill (aka the dreadmill) and prefer to be outdoors as the dreadmill slaughters my knees.
    I also prefer to make my own pace and while the dreadmill is likely better for training and driving the pace, if I am aiming at a speed I would prefer to average it out as I feel vs. running to the same exact pace the whole time.
    For me, the best deal for my ankle/knees has been the local track.  It is boring as hell, and I need to start quite early, but it is easier on my body and I dont have to be concerned about twisting my ankle on something.  [Last year I tore a tendon in my ankle training for a 26.2 and I didnt treat until after the distance was accomplished and was in a boot and on a physical therapy tour for a while this year.  On the longer runs now it still hurts - I wear a brace and am suspicious that this is holding me back but until I accomplish this year's goal (50k) and then another marathon after it I am not going to scale back, start running w/o the brace.]

I have a love/hate relationship with the treadmill. It is more efficient if I want to run at a particular speed. It is also more efficient for me in terms of not having to stop at lights, or run around people on the sidewalk. Also, my time is a bit faster on the treadmill since I can constantly set my exact speed. I ran regularly on the treadmill during February and August due to the weather extremes. In both cases I noticed that after running on it for a few weeks, I was getting neck pain that causes slight headaches. I don't have that same neck pain when I run regularly outside. I think it is because for short spurts on the treadmill I am pushing myself at much faster speeds than I ever do while running outside, and am probably jostling my neck more than I should. I also think I have a different running posture on the treadmill than I do outside. Luckily, my other joints are fine both outside and on the treadmill. Due to the weather, I will probably be on the treadmill for a few more weeks - I just have to start watching my neck, and hope it stops crackling soon.

And BTW - Holy shit on that Tour of Arran!! I just checked out the website.
  • With a good friend of mine this time. Cannot wait, it's a Scottish island, 3 days camping 2 days running around 30 miles each day. We have trained for it 1 and 1/2 times already due to covid! Start in December. Less miles than recently with more focus on power hiking some steep hill reps, mixed in with some good running.

The mountains aren't too tall. But I believe it's approaching 10,000ft of climb over the 2 days
    Yeah that is a lot of up/down.  Sounds pretty brutal but I know you can do brutal!

GG, hope the neck issues stop when you can get back outside.  I had back pain caused by holding my neck/head in the wrong position...once I figured out what was doing it I was able to address. 
  • GlowGirl said:
    I have a love/hate relationship with the treadmill. It is more efficient if I want to run at a particular speed. It is also more efficient for me in terms of not having to stop at lights, or run around people on the sidewalk. Also, my time is a bit faster on the treadmill since I can constantly set my exact speed. I ran regularly on the treadmill during February and August due to the weather extremes. In both cases I noticed that after running on it for a few weeks, I was getting neck pain that causes slight headaches. I don't have that same neck pain when I run regularly outside. I think it is because for short spurts on the treadmill I am pushing myself at much faster speeds than I ever do while running outside, and am probably jostling my neck more than I should. I also think I have a different running posture on the treadmill than I do outside. Luckily, my other joints are fine both outside and on the treadmill. Due to the weather, I will probably be on the treadmill for a few more weeks - I just have to start watching my neck, and hope it stops crackling soon.

And BTW - Holy shit on that Tour of Arran!! I just checked out the website.
    Which do you prefer? Outside or treadmill
    I prefer outside - but am ok with the treadmill when I have to use it. I really hate running when it is too hot/humid or too cold. For me that is usually above 75 degrees, or below 32 degrees. In between those temps I like to run outside - unless it is raining hard or snowing. One thing I like on the treadmill is that I can put my phone and my water bottle in the little compartments and don't have to strap on a running pack. But generally, running outside is more enjoyable.
    GlowGirl said:
    I prefer outside - but am ok with the treadmill when I have to use it. I really hate running when it is too hot/humid or too cold. For me that is usually above 75 degrees, or below 32 degrees. In between those temps I like to run outside - unless it is raining hard or snowing. One thing I like on the treadmill is that I can put my phone and my water bottle in the little compartments and don't have to strap on a running pack. But generally, running outside is more enjoyable.

Not going to type what my initial response was.  You have a sense for me by now, I imagine, GG to have a guess at where I went.  :lol:  

I use a sleeve for the phone and love it -- provided it is not too humid. 
    The water bottle is a carry camelbak, pretty easy once I got used to it.  For long runs I vest up like I am Beano and running up and down mountains.  :lol:     
  • GlowGirl said:

Not going to type what my initial response was.  You have a sense for me by now, I imagine, GG to have a guess at where I went.  :lol:  

The water bottle is a carry camelbak, pretty easy once I got used to it.  For long runs I vest up like I am Beano and running up and down mountains.  :lol:     
    I'm looking forward to a few months of running without the pack! Pain in the arse having to prep so much for runs after a while... Be nice to just put on shoes and leave the house for a few miles.
  • just sifting through some photos my cousin took during the race. I remember him trying to get my attention to look at this tree but we had just finished an uphill section and I was angry and sulking 😂

Nice pics -- a damn tree fell in your pathway?  :lol:   
    Your cousin could poke his eyes out with those things. 

I don't see Robin of the Hood anywhere!
  • Navigating that tree 2nd time around in the dark after 70+ miles was more tricky 😂

Honestly given the surroundings I was expecting to turn around to find my cousin hanging from a tree upside down, noosed around the ankle. We carried pouches of gold coins just incase 😂
    beano.79 said:
    Navigating that tree 2nd time around in the dark after 70+ miles was more tricky 😂

Honestly given the surroundings I was expecting to turn around to find my cousin hanging from a tree upside down, noosed around the ankle. We carried pouches of gold coins just incase 😂

Hahaha. 
    Nice.
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:

I'm looking forward to a few months of running without the pack! Pain in the arse having to prep so much for runs after a while... Be nice to just put on shoes and leave the house for a few miles.
    When I refer to a running pack I don’t mean those big ones you guys carry. I just meant a little pack around my waist. It’s still annoying though. 
    GlowGirl said:

I assume it has something to do with my use of the phrase “strap on” :lol:
    Awesome photos, Beano. That tree is spectacular. It looks like amazing scenery. I still can’t believe you were running with Covid. 
  • GlowGirl said:
    Awesome photos, Beano. That tree is spectacular. It looks like amazing scenery. I still can’t believe you were running with Covid. 
    I have to stress..if I did have it that day I had absolutely no idea 😔🤦🏼‍♂️
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    I have to stress..if I did have it that day I had absolutely no idea 😔🤦🏼‍♂️
    Of course you didn't know. Or, maybe you caught it that day. I know you wouldn't purposely run with other if you knew.

GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

I assume it has something to do with my use of the phrase “strap on” :lol:

Your assumption would be correct -- it did include the words in quotes, there.  :lol:      
    23 miles in, this morning.
    Picked up almost half a minute a mile on my 22 miles run a few weeks ago.
    Totally wiped out.  Don't know if I had another 8 miles in me, today.  Good thing I have just over a month to get there.  

A few good things about having this done at 845am
    First, it feels good to have done almost four hours worth of hard ass work by this time of the day.
    Next....and better....I don't need to do much for the next few days!

Beano, how are you holding up?  Out of quarantine?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Strong work, F Me! Enjoy the rest of the weekend. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    23 miles in, this morning.
    Totally wiped out.  Don't know if I had another 8 miles in me, today.  Good thing I have just over a month to get there.  

First, it feels good to have done almost four hours worth of hard ass work by this time of the day.

Great work as always, B. I got out late but ran outside for the first time in over a month. After being on the treadmill for many weeks, running outside felt harder than it did before. I have to get used to not having that treadmill help again. My time was a bit slower than on the treadmill but faster than it was outside a few months ago. I used my treadmill time to up my speed a bit. I think that carried over to my run today. But I did tire out faster. Glad it’s over and I can get on with my day. Beautiful weather today!!
    Good stuff!
    Must be nice to get out - glad the weather cooperated.
    Was cool this morning (50s) and it was nice.
  • 23 miles in, this morning.

Fantastic running mate 👍

I'm free! had Friday at work. Need a week or so up and about before I start running again I think as I'm still getting tired quickly.