Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Innocent man killed by Minneapolis police

https://bringmethenews.com/.amp/minnesota-news/innocent-man-killed-in-minneapolis-police-crash-idd-as-uncle-of-darnella-frazier

Leneal Frazier was the uncle of Darnella Frazier, the teenager who filmed George Floyd's arrest and his death outside Cup Foods on May 25, 2020. 
    Not abuse.
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/abuse

1) to use wrongly or improperly; misuse:

it's abuse
    The cop accidently crashed into him.  What was the cop abusing?  His driving?  He was chasing down an armed robber.
    And according to the article, he was following policy on police chases.
    “The new policy stipulated that officers would no longer give chase over minor offenses, such was the risk inherent with pursuits. The new policy states that chase may only be given for "a serious and violent felony or gross misdemeanor."
    I would think carjacking and robbery fits that. So I don’t see how one could argue following protocol to catch a violent criminal is abuse, even if it does end in tragedy. The robber should, and I assume will be, charged with his death.
    Just because something is legal, don't make it right

Here's the intersection where it happened.  Residential area. 

Cop was reckless.
    Even if you’re right, that still isn’t abuse.
    And with the few details I saw, I’m sticking with a car jacking and armed robbery, yeah go ahead as chase him. Let’s maybe blame the guy who did the robbery and car jacking on this one.

How is this not abuse?  Police killed a person with 0 consequences.  Again.  How about the police are held accountable for their actions.

Holding the other guy accountable is not how the law works:

The actions of the person (or entity) who owes you a duty must be sufficiently related to your injuries such that the law considers the person to have caused your injuries in a legal sense. If someone’s actions are a remote cause of your injury, they are not a proximate cause. However, if your injury would not have occurred “but for” the actions of another, then usually you can conclude there was proximate causation.

If not but for the actions of the police officer, Frazier would still be alive. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

https://bringmethenews.com/.amp/minnesota-news/innocent-man-killed-in-minneapolis-police-crash-idd-as-uncle-of-darnella-frazier

Leneal Frazier was the uncle of Darnella Frazier, the teenager who filmed George Floyd's arrest and his death outside Cup Foods on May 25, 2020. 
    Not abuse.

it's abuse
    The cop accidently crashed into him.  What was the cop abusing?  His driving?  He was chasing down an armed robber.
    “The new policy stipulated that officers would no longer give chase over minor offenses, such was the risk inherent with pursuits. The new policy states that chase may only be given for "a serious and violent felony or gross misdemeanor."
    I would think carjacking and robbery fits that. So I don’t see how one could argue following protocol to catch a violent criminal is abuse, even if it does end in tragedy. The robber should, and I assume will be, charged with his death.

Cop was reckless.
    And with the few details I saw, I’m sticking with a car jacking and armed robbery, yeah go ahead as chase him. Let’s maybe blame the guy who did the robbery and car jacking on this one.
    excuse me, SUSPECTED car jack.

likely was but reporting doesnt say they knew for a fact.

Suspects flee the scene running red lights because they are innocent?

Sure.

Like above stated.  Abolish the chases.  Eye in the sky then road blacks and pit maneuvers when no one is around.

This still isn't abuse though.

is there a misconduct thread I am unaware of?  even within policy this was misconduct.
    If the cops aren't allowed to use their judgement then take it away from them.

Change the laws/procedures to reflect that.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

Sure.

Like above stated.  Abolish the chases.  Eye in the sky then road blacks and pit maneuvers when no one is around.

is there a misconduct thread I am unaware of?  even within policy this was misconduct.

granted we hear little of when good judgement is exercised but come the fuck on. Better judgement based on bigger picture scenarios and the seeming tunnel vision we hear of all too often.

These are fallible human beings. Prone to mistakes , just like the rest of us. We though, are more readily held accountable for lapses in judgement.

With that badge comes ALOT of responsibility. Should come with an equitable amount of accountability.

I respect the profession and their impossible at times position. that doesnt shield them from warranted criticism.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

How is this not abuse?  Police killed a person with 0 consequences.  Again.  How about the police are held accountable for their actions.

Holding the other guy accountable is not how the law works:

The actions of the person (or entity) who owes you a duty must be sufficiently related to your injuries such that the law considers the person to have caused your injuries in a legal sense. If someone’s actions are a remote cause of your injury, they are not a proximate cause. However, if your injury would not have occurred “but for” the actions of another, then usually you can conclude there was proximate causation.

If not but for the actions of the police officer, Frazier would still be alive. 
    The law/policy permits chasing a violent felon. This was robbery and a car jacking.
    Your proximate cause is an argument to hold the robber accountable, not the police. If not for carjacking, robbing and fleeing, there would not have been a car crash. He was the one doing something wrong and illegal.
    You don’t like police chases? Fine, advocate to abolish them. But car jacking and robbery fits the description of what is allowed to have a chase in this department. 
    So let me ask, if policy allows a chase of a felon, what did this cop do wrong and how does he deserve to be punished/held accountable?
    And maybe the policy should be updated. But I don’t agree with holding someone accountable for following policy.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    situational awareness should also cone into play in these cases
    Arguing the situation is like saying Sully could have made it safely back to the airport.

not knowing the complete circumstances of this particular chase, I will say that just because policy allowed an action does mean it should be acted upon in every single instance.

location, time of day, usual traffic patterns, am I the only one giving chase. just a few of the considerations I would hope would be taken into account.

case in point, several years ago local deputy initiates a chase. on a secondary artery. one that runs through 90% residential area.  Lot of side streets and alleys. significant % of residents in that area are pedestrian or bicycle riders , as well as far to many kids. Mid day.....

Deputy T-bones and kills a driver uninvolved in the chase , exercising right of way via light from a side street. Deputy was doing well over 100 mph.

Situational awareness was lacking or ignored, cuz hot damn I got a chase. So given those facts in the moment, should that chase have occurred? Local PD had a 6 helicopter fleet then now down to 5. Dont recall if they were called in.
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.
    A chase can be argued that it shouldn't occur.  Call in the helicopter, I'm all for that.

If you want to pick apart what he should have done while in pursuit and having to make quick judgement decisions is where I have a problem with.

Don't give a cop the right to chase then.  Ever.

It's like saying the cop can only give chase on the freeway on weekends when there isn't any traffic.  

Among those killed were:
    882 fleeing drivers
    337 fleeing vehicle passengers
    21 police officers
    765 bystanders (occupants of uninvolved vehicles or non-motorists)
    75 non-motorists (67 pedestrians, 5 bicyclists and 3 on another means of personal conveyance)

That’s fucking bananas. How could the outcomes possibly justify this? 
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

Sure.

granted we hear little of when good judgement is exercised but come the fuck on. Better judgement based on bigger picture scenarios and the seeming tunnel vision we hear of all too often.

These are fallible human beings. Prone to mistakes , just like the rest of us. We though, are more readily held accountable for lapses in judgement.

With that badge comes ALOT of responsibility. Should come with an equitable amount of accountability.

I respect the profession and their impossible at times position. that doesnt shield them from warranted criticism.
    Which is why I brought the Sully scenario into it.

In hindsight its easy to pick apart is my thing with something like this.

If  a cop could be held accountable for things on a broader scale, they would not be doing them. 

I work with people all the time that do not want the responsibility whereas I do take it so that is why my answers are the way they are I would guess.
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

Sure.

Cop had 12 previous complaints, but was never disciplined. 

0 accountability.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

Sure.

0 accountability.
    The one thing that sucks about policing is that whenever you arrest someone they usually aren't too thrilled about it.  One way you can get back at the cops is to file a complaint.

If you do your job and arrest people then more and more people will be angry at you so more people complain.

The complaints are followed up usually with an investigation.

Is this or can this be abused?  Absolutely.  Both ways it can.  

This is outside looking in.  Give me more facts on the complaints though.  
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

Sure.

0 accountability.
    The one thing that sucks about policing is that whenever you arrest someone they usually aren't too thrilled about it.  One way you can get back at the cops is to file a complaint.

If you do your job and arrest people then more and more people will be angry at you so more people complain.

https://minnesotareformer.com/2020/12/15/the-bad-cops-how-minneapolis-protects-its-worst-police-officers-until-its-too-late/

1 in 5 people who try to file complaints about Minneapolis police had their cases classified as ‘inquiries’ – not counted and not investigated.
    https://www.kare11.com/article/news/investigations/kare-11-investigates-hundreds-of-complaints-about-minneapolis-police-not-counted/89-81d6bf3b-8665-4349-9bd4-1cc5fdeecaa3

1925 complaints
    ~7700 'inquiries'
    53 resulted in discipline
    0.55% resulted in discipline

$35M estimated in large workers’ compensation settlements with Minneapolis police 
    https://www.fox9.com/news/35m-estimated-in-settlements-with-minneapolis-police-who-left-after-2020-unrest

Minneapolis police misconduct payouts top $70 million
    https://www.kare11.com/article/news/investigations/minneapolis-police-misconduct-payouts-top-70-million/89-489d102d-43cc-457e-9f7f-2ce471ccd2d5

0 accountability.
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

Sure.

0 accountability.

https://minnesotareformer.com/2020/12/15/the-bad-cops-how-minneapolis-protects-its-worst-police-officers-until-its-too-late/

1 in 5 people who try to file complaints about Minneapolis police had their cases classified as ‘inquiries’ – not counted and not investigated.
    https://www.kare11.com/article/news/investigations/kare-11-investigates-hundreds-of-complaints-about-minneapolis-police-not-counted/89-81d6bf3b-8665-4349-9bd4-1cc5fdeecaa3

1925 complaints
    ~7700 'inquiries'

$35M estimated in large workers’ compensation settlements with Minneapolis police 
    https://www.fox9.com/news/35m-estimated-in-settlements-with-minneapolis-police-who-left-after-2020-unrest

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/investigations/minneapolis-police-misconduct-payouts-top-70-million/89-489d102d-43cc-457e-9f7f-2ce471ccd2d5

0 accountability.

sounds like consent decree time.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

Sure.

0 accountability.

1925 complaints
    ~7700 'inquiries'

0 accountability.
    Very good articles. 

The 1 in 5 being investigated is a little disturbing.  The whole Minnesota PD sounds like it needs a serious overhaul.  Accountability is not their strong suit.

I still say that the crash wasn't abuse though.

CM is there a serious change in the MPD now?
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

Sure.

0 accountability.

1925 complaints
    ~7700 'inquiries'

0 accountability.
    Very good articles. 

The 1 in 5 being investigated is a little disturbing.  The whole Minnesota PD sounds like it needs a serious overhaul.  Accountability is not their strong suit.

I doubt the MPD is unique here.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2021/06/30/with-citizenled-charter-change-minneapolis-city-council-withdraws-its-version

The citizen charter amendment to create a new Department of Public Safety is expected to appear on voters' ballots in November. 

In April, the Yes 4 Minneapolis coalition dropped off more than 20,000 signatures to the Minneapolis City Hall to get a measure on the ballot that would strike a section of the city’s charter that requires a police department be the only option for public safety. 

baby steps I guess?

CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Not abuse.

it's abuse

Cop was reckless.

Sure.

0 accountability.

1925 complaints
    ~7700 'inquiries'

0 accountability.
    Very good articles. 

I doubt the MPD is unique here.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2021/06/30/with-citizenled-charter-change-minneapolis-city-council-withdraws-its-version

The citizen charter amendment to create a new Department of Public Safety is expected to appear on voters' ballots in November. 

In April, the Yes 4 Minneapolis coalition dropped off more than 20,000 signatures to the Minneapolis City Hall to get a measure on the ballot that would strike a section of the city’s charter that requires a police department be the only option for public safety. 

baby steps I guess?

If i'm reading right then this is like what Baltimore did.

I'll say this that here in NY they had a "bail reform" bill that passed.  It was meant to help keep the system from clogging up with misdemeanors and only hold violent criminals.  Also to help out the ones whom couldn't make bail.

The people that are lifetime criminals make the news constantly because they get let out and go right back to it.

It is all part of the changing of policing so hopefully we figure it out.
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/us/six-year-old-kidnapped-rescued-louisville-police/index.html

If ever there was a time for your gun to accidentally go off it would be now (after the child isn’t around). It’s never the scum of the earth though, it’s the black guy with the fake $20. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    https://wsvn.com/news/local/5-miami-beach-officers-charged-with-battery-in-rough-arrest/

First - how fucking stupid do you have to be with phones and cameras around everywhere?  
    Second - what’s in your fucking head that says kick these people after they’re subdued? 
    Is this mob mentality?  This shit will never end 
    and don’t say because they may have hit a cop with a scooter that this is justified 
    once subdued it’s over! 
    https://wsvn.com/news/local/5-miami-beach-officers-charged-with-battery-in-rough-arrest/

First - how fucking stupid do you have to be with phones and cameras around everywhere?  
    Second - what’s in your fucking head that says kick these people after they’re subdued? 
    and don’t say because they may have hit a cop with a scooter that this is justified 
    once subdued it’s over! 
    Definitely mob mentality.  Do you really need 12 cops to take down the one guy?

Also the one cop that had his gun out.  Did you see him hold it sideways gangster style?  He should be kicked off the force for doing that alone...
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813

once subdued it’s over! 

Also the one cop that had his gun out.  Did you see him hold it sideways gangster style?  He should be kicked off the force for doing that alone...
    It’s a power trip.  It comes out in the treatment of the guys recording it.

They say that power corrupts. And we have over the decades decided to hand cops a lot of power. It’s not really about individual officers, but about the culture of absolute power. This video shows that when so many of them are acting like yes.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:

once subdued it’s over! 

It’s a power trip.  It comes out in the treatment of the guys recording it.

They say that power corrupts. And we have over the decades decided to hand cops a lot of power. It’s not really about individual officers, but about the culture of absolute power. This video shows that when so many of them are acting like yes.
    I do know that if one gets hurt, shot at, punched, etc. they come en masse.  That is a good thing in a way but overkill too.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Why are people abusing the police?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    US to probe Phoenix police over excessive force allegations
    By MICHAEL BALSAMO and BOB CHRISTIE
    1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department on Thursday said it was launching a widespread probe into the police force in Phoenix to examine whether officers have been using excessive force and abusing people experiencing homelessness.

The investigation into the City of Phoenix and the Phoenix Police Department is the third sweeping civil investigation into a law enforcement agency brought by the Justice Department in the Biden administration and comes as the department has worked to shift its priorities to focus on policing and civil rights. Few such investigations were opened during the Trump administration.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said the probe will also examine whether police have engaged in discriminatory policing practices and will work to determine if officers have retaliated against people engaged in protected First Amendment activities.

In June, the top prosecutor in Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix, permanently dismissed charges that included gang allegations against more than a dozen people arrested at an October 2020 protest against police brutality.

The move came amid complaints from civil rights advocates that Phoenix police and prosecutors were pursuing gang charges as part of abusive political prosecutions intended to silence dissent and scare protesters.

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego, a Democrat, hailed the Justice Department investigation and said it will help with ongoing police reform measures she has been pushing since taking office in 2019.

“Public safety reform is an ongoing process in Phoenix, and now, with the help of the USDOJ, this robust program will continue,” Gallego said in a statement.

The city also plans to start a new program this year to respond to mental health calls by placing behavioral health professionals in the field. The city also has a new office of police accountability that is charged with independently investigating allegations of wrongdoing by officers.

That office may be hamstrung, however, by a new state law signed by Republican Gov. Doug Ducey that limits civilian review boards like the one Phoenix has set up.

City Councilman Sal DiCiccio, a frequent defender of Phoenix police, said the department ”has been under extreme attack by activists bent on defunding the police.”

“I welcome another set of eyes to see what we already know: that we have a department staffed by dedicated individuals who go to great lengths to protect our community, and do so honorably and fairly,” he said in a statement.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona, which has sued Phoenix police in the past for actions against protesters, said the investigation was needed to force the department to change.

“This is not a case of a few bad apples – Phoenix PD has deep-rooted, systemic problems with the way it treats community members,” Victoria Lopez, the group's advocacy and legal director, said in a statement.

Part of the investigation will also examine whether police officers have been violating the rights of people who are experiencing homelessness by “seizing and disposing of their belongings in a manner that violates the Constitution,” Garland said.

The new investigation is known as a “pattern or practice” — examining whether there is a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing — and is generally is a sweeping review of the entire police department.

In announcing the probe, Garland also pointed to what he described as “straining the policing profession by turning to law enforcement to address a wide array of social problems.”

“Too often we asked law enforcement officers to be the first and last option for addressing issues that should not be handled by our criminal justice system," he said "This makes police officers' jobs more difficult, increases unnecessary confrontations with law enforcement and hinders public safety.”

Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke said investigators will meet with police officers and supervisors, review body camera video, along with training materials and other records. She said the Justice Department spoke with Phoenix city officials and they had expressed support for the probe.

“Protecting the rule of law demands that those who enforce our laws also abide by them,” Clarke said.

The Justice Department had reviewed an array of publicly available information, including lawsuits and news reports before it decided to open the Phoenix investigation, Clarke said.

The police force has come under fire in recent years for its handling of protests and the high number of shootings. One lawsuit alleged that police and prosecutors colluded to target protesters during a demonstration last summer. In February, a local television station reported that a team of police officers had celebrated shooting a protester in the groin during another protest with commemorative coins they would share.

“We found that the evidence here warrants a full investigation, but we approach this process with no predispositions or pre-drawn conclusions,” Clarke said.

Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams defended the department and the reforms it has made in recent years at a news briefing. But she said she is open to any Justice Department recommendations.

continues....

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

By JIM MUSTIAN and JAKE BLEIBERG
    Today

MONROE, La. (AP) — The most violent videos languished for years, lost or ignored in a digital vault. Louisiana State Police troopers and top brass alike would often look the other way, even as officers took to official messaging channels to banter about their brutality.

In one video, white troopers can be seen slamming a Black man against a police cruiser after finding marijuana in his car, throwing him to the ground and repeatedly punching him — all while he is handcuffed.

In another, a white trooper pummels a Black man at a traffic stop 18 times with a flashlight, leaving him with a broken jaw, broken ribs and a gash to his head. That footage was mislabeled and it took 536 days and a lawsuit for police to look into it.

And yet another video shows a white trooper coldcocking a Hispanic drug trafficking suspect as he stood calmly by a highway, an unprovoked attack never mentioned in any report and only investigated when the footage was discovered by an outraged federal judge.

As the Louisiana State Police reel from the fallout of the deadly 2019 arrest of Ronald Greene — a case blown open this year by long-withheld video of troopers stunning, punching and dragging the Black motorist — an Associated Press investigation has revealed it is part of a pattern of violence kept shrouded in secrecy.

An AP review of internal investigative records and newly obtained videos identified at least a dozen cases over the past decade in which Louisiana State Police troopers or their bosses ignored or concealed evidence of beatings, deflected blame and impeded efforts to root out misconduct.

This undated photo provided by his family in September 2020 shows Ronald Greene.
    This photo provided by the Louisiana State Police shows blood stains on the shield of Master Trooper Chris Hollingsworth after the fatal 2019 arrest of Black motorist Ronald Greene.

AP’s review — coming amid a widening federal investigation into state police misconduct — found troopers have made a habit of turning off or muting body cameras during pursuits. When footage is recorded, the agency routinely refuses to release it. And a recently retired supervisor who oversaw a particularly violent clique of troopers told internal investigators this year that it was his “common practice” to rubber-stamp officers’ use-of-force reports without reviewing body-camera video.

In some cases, troopers omitted uses of force such as blows to the head from official reports, and in others troopers sought to justify their actions by claiming suspects were violent, resisting or escaping, all of which were contradicted by video footage.

“Hyper-aggressiveness is winked upon and nodded and allowed to go on,” said Andrew Scott, a former Boca Raton, Florida, police chief and use-of-force expert who reviewed videos obtained by AP. “It’s very clear that the agency accepts that type of behavior.”

Most of those beaten in the cases AP found were Black, in keeping with the agency’s own tally that 67% of its uses of force in recent years have targeted Black people — double the percentage of the state’s Black population. AP reporting revealed that a secret panel the state police set up this year to determine whether troopers systematically abused Black motorists was just as secretly shut down, leaving the agency blind to potential misconduct.

The revelations come as civil rights and Black leaders urge the U.S. Justice Department to launch a broader, “pattern and practice” investigation into potential systemic racial profiling by the overwhelmingly white state police, similar to other probes opened in recent months in Minneapolis, Louisville and Phoenix.

“These things are racially motivated,” said Alanah Odoms, executive director of the ACLU of Louisiana. “It doesn’t seem you could have this level of criminality going on without it being something much more sinister.”

It’s not clear how the Louisiana State Police rate of force against Black people compares to that of other states because there is no national benchmark and definitions of uses of force differ between jurisdictions. Activists, however, say it points to a clear problem.

“Driving while Black is still a crime in Louisiana,” said Eugene W. Collins, president of the Baton Rouge branch of the NAACP, adding that the numbers “prove our assertion that our communities are woefully over-policed.”

In this Saturday, May 23, 2020 image from Louisiana State Police body camera video, an unidentified law enforcement officer applies an electric weapon to the back of Black motorist Antonio Harris as other officers restrain him on the side of a road after a high speed chase in Franklin Parish, La.

Col. Lamar Davis, the state police superintendent, declined requests for an interview but said in a statement that the agency has completely revised its excessive force policies and practices and implemented numerous reforms in the 11 months since he took office.

“No instance of excessive force is acceptable,” he said, “and when the department learns of such misconduct, an immediate review is launched leading to administrative and/or potential criminal investigations.”

Davis said transparency is a priority but “ongoing criminal and civil litigation prevents the immediate release of videos and investigative details in many of these incidents."

He said he doesn't believe a federal pattern and practice investigation is needed "at this time.” The Justice Department did not answer questions about whether it's considering one.

The state police have been under intense scrutiny since May when the AP published previously unreleased body camera footage of Greene’s May 10, 2019, arrest at the end of a high-speed chase near Monroe. It showed white troopers stunning, beating and dragging Greene as he pleaded for mercy. One clip that a supervisor denied having for two years showed troopers leaving the heavyset Greene prone and shackled facedown for more than nine minutes. Among the 49-year-old’s last words: “I’m your brother. I’m scared! I’m scared!”

In this image from Louisiana State Police Trooper Dakota DeMoss' body camera video obtained by The Associated Press, fellow troopers hold up Ronald Greene before paramedics arrive on May 10, 2019, outside of Monroe, La.

It was a jarring rush of images in a death that troopers initially blamed on a car crash and that took 474 days to prompt an internal investigation. Gov. John Bel Edwards was among the officials who repeatedly rebuffed requests to release the video.

“These are tactics they’ve been using forever and we’re tired of it,” said Terrance Key, an Army veteran who grew up with Greene in northern Louisiana. “They’ve been getting away with this s--- for so long.”

Recently, a federal investigation into Greene’s death was broadened to include allegations of obstruction of justice involving Louisiana State Police brass. Among the incidents under scrutiny is the shutdown of the secret panel state police set up to investigate possible systemic abuse of Black motorists.

The seven-member panel had been focused on reviewing thousands of hours of body camera footage from about a dozen specific troopers in northern Louisiana’s Troop F, including some of those involved in the beatings of Greene and three other Black motorists.

But according to several people familiar with the matter who spoke to AP on condition of anonymity, the panel was abruptly disbanded in July after just a few months' work following leaks about its existence. State police did not immediately act on the panel’s recommendations, but Davis said the agency has since referred some of the problematic incidents to internal investigators. He did not identify those incidents.

Among the cases identified by AP’s review is a March 2019 arrest in northeastern Louisiana’s Ouachita Parish where a trooper was caught on dash-camera video grabbing Black marijuana suspect Deshawn Washington by his hair and slamming the 20-year-old into the hood of a police cruiser, a use of force omitted from the police report. At one point, Washington’s friend, Shomari King, a 21-year-old who was also arrested, asked, "Why y’all being so rough?”

In another case from August 2019, Darrell Smith, a white motorist who fled a traffic stop near Baton Rouge, contended in a lawsuit that troopers caught up with him and beat him beyond recognition, causing him to be hospitalized with temporary kidney failure. A use-of-force report leaves unchecked whether body-camera video exists and lists Smith’s injuries as “nonincapacitating.” Smith’s lawsuit says troopers shared a photo of him after the beating with his eyes swollen shut and the caption: “This is what happens when you run from the police.”

In this August 2019 photo provided by his attorney, Darrell Smith is apprehended by Louisiana State Police troopers after fleeing a a traffic stop near Baton Rouge, La. Smith's lawsuit says troopers shared this photo of him after a beating, with his eyes swollen shut, and the caption: "This is what happens when you run from the police."

Sometimes, videos have been left out of materials turned over to state prosecutors. That was the case last year after a high-speed chase ended near a Franklin Parish cornfield, where body cameras captured troopers beating Black motorist Antonio Harris and hoisting him to his feet by his hair braids.

Afterward, the troopers bragged about it in LOL-peppered group text messages, saying Harris is “gonna have nightmares” and is “still digesting that ass whoopin’.”

Capt. John Peters, the regional troop commander, recently retired after acknowledging he approved troopers’ use-of-force reports that glossed over Harris’ beating without reviewing their body-camera video, disciplinary records show. Peters, who was also among the commanders to sign off on the use-of-force reports in the Ronald Greene case, told investigators that approving such documents without watching the video was his “common practice.” He declined to comment to AP.

This Dec. 10, 2020 photo provided by the Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office shows Louisiana State Police Trooper Jacob Brown. Records show Brown tallied 23 uses of force dating to 2015 — 19 on Black people.

“The ultimate responsibility is mine,” records show Peters wrote in an internal email about the approvals last year. “I failed.”

One former trooper, Jacob Brown, was perhaps the agency’s most prolifically violent officer in recent years. Records show he tallied 23 uses of force dating to 2015 — 19 on Black people — and he faces charges in three separate beatings.

Video and police records show he beat Aaron Larry Bowman 18 times with a flashlight after deputies pulled him over for a traffic violation near his Monroe home in May 2019. State police didn’t investigate the attack until 536 days later, and only did so after a lawsuit from Bowman, who was left with a broken jaw, ribs and wrist, as well as a gash to his head that required six staples to close.

“I thought I was going to die that night,” Bowman told AP.

Brown, who resigned in March, failed to report his use of force and mislabeled his body-camera footage in what investigators described in internal records as “an intentional attempt to hide the video.” He did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Another video obtained by the AP involving Brown shows the 2019 arrest of Morgan Blake, who was handcuffed by the side of a Louisiana interstate after troopers found 13 pounds of marijuana in his car.

When Blake repeatedly begged Brown to adjust the cuffs, saying they were irritating an old elbow injury, the trooper refused and slammed Blake twice against a police cruiser and then hurled him to the ground.

Two more troopers jumped on Blake, who was still handcuffed, in the roadside grass. “Stop resisting,” one of them yelled. Footage shows Trooper Randall “Colby” Dickerson punching Blake five times and kneeing him in the side. Dickerson, who faces state charges in the case, declined to comment.

After the beating, Brown told another trooper that Blake’s right handcuff hadn’t been on, that he was resisting and, “Hell, he’s trying to get away” — all statements investigators concluded were false.

AP also obtained previously unreleased footage of a state trooper hitting a Hispanic truck driver in 2010 along Interstate 12 in Tangipahoa Parish, north of New Orleans.

The driver, Alejandro Soliz, had been transporting more than 20 kilograms of cocaine and waited on the side of the road as troopers searched his tractor-trailer. Trooper Jason LaMarca can be seen approaching Soliz and, without provocation, delivering a blow to the head that sent the man crumbling to the ground.

"There is absolutely no legitimacy in that type of force,” policing expert Scott said after viewing the footage.

LaMarca, reached by phone, referred questions to a police spokesman, who did not respond.

The federal judge who sentenced Soliz on drug charges five months after the arrest was so troubled by the video that he wrote letters to federal prosecutors and Col. Mike Edmonson, then-superintendent of the state police. The use of force had not been documented in any reports, the judge wrote, adding the video also showed “three other troopers laughing at this act.”

Edmonson ultimately suspended LaMarca for 12 hours, saying the punishment was tempered by what he considered an “outstanding” seizure of $2 million worth of cocaine.

At a disciplinary hearing, Edmonson talked about wanting to send LaMarca a message that striking Soliz was “not why we wear this badge.”

The trooper’s suspension was overturned on appeal.

___

Video journalist Stacey Plaisance in New Orleans contributed to this report.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    edited September 2021
    I’m not sure who is worse?

In exchange for $50, Kristen Naylor-Legg brought her 17-year-old family member to a community center in June 2020 where a local police chief allegedly raped the girl, federal prosecutors claim.

Naylor-Legg, court documents say, stood by — directing the girl during the alleged rape and providing her with towels to clean up afterward. A West Virginia police chief, who was on duty, according to court documents, allegedly failed to pay the woman the agreed-upon price and left.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/17/west-virginia-police-chief-allegedly-rapes-girl/

Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Jesus pole vaulting Christ.

“The hearing-impaired toddler lost his hearing aids during the tussle”

“Two Philadelphia policemen, an officer and sergeant, have since been fired in connection to the treatment of Young, a city spokesperson said.

“The behavior that occurred during the interaction between Rickia Young, her nephew, her son, and some of the officers on the scene violated the mission of the Philadelphia Police Department," Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said in a statement.

"As a matter of fact, the ability for officers and supervisors on the scene to diffuse the situation was abandoned, and instead of fighting crime and the fear of crime, some of the officers on the scene created an environment that terrorized Rickia Young, her family, and other members of the public."“

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/philadelphia-pay-2m-black-woman-beaten-officers-separated-toddler-during-n1279134

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    edited September 2021
    How about some of those videos coming out of Australia? 50 cops to arrest two guys not wearing masks outside? Wtf is going on there
  • nicknyr15 said:
    How about some of those videos coming out of Australia? 50 cops to arrest two guys not wearing masks outside? Wtf is going on there
    I'm surprised more Aussies aren't up and arms about what is going on over there.  They are still on lockdown and have had enough of the masks and lockdowns.  I'm sure it's going to get a lot worse over there.