*** GUNS N' ROSES ***

Comments

• hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    3days said:
    I always wondered about One In A Million. Was he actually saying those things, or was he portraying a character, and then clapping back lyrically? It's a debate I've had with friends, and I honestly don't know the answer.

The reason I ask is that he used a homophobic slur in the song, but then participated in a Freddy Mercury tribute. He's also performed with Elton John. Slash has performed with BB King, and praised James Brown publicly. 

It mm makes the slurs seem hypocritical.

I've always taken it as a character singing the song. 
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    mrussel1 said:
    hihobibo said:
    PJNB said:
    So I am looking into a show that probably will not happen this summer in Toronto. There are two kinds of GA tickets that I am looking at. One looks to be regular GA for roughly $345. You can also get early entry for $750. Its called Patience Early Entry Package. My question is does anyone know how early are we talking here or does anyone have any experience in the last couple of tours of either ticket option?
    I'd suggest saving the extra money. I don't know what the package consists of, but when I went in maybe 2016, I was excited to see the full band, and thought that the high price of floor seats would keep away the a-holes. WRONG. Spent what was around $250/per (face value) and had the worst people all around me. Just inconsiderate, rude jerks. Snuck others into our row, spilled shit all over everyone and everything, fights, and a random lady even helped herself to my nachos while the usher checked my ticket!
    GnR fans.. what do you expect?  The 80s were the worst.  

I agree not to spend big bucks.  The reality is with stadium tours, unless you're right up front, you spend most the night looking at the screen.  Might as well be in the lower stands if you're screen staring. 
    Big bucks gets you seats on the floor/field, and it is a great 3 hour show. But having seats on the floor created so many issues with the other people there. If it was a GA floor, it would have been so much better.
  • petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    hihobibo said:
    3days said:
    I always wondered about One In A Million. Was he actually saying those things, or was he portraying a character, and then clapping back lyrically? It's a debate I've had with friends, and I honestly don't know the answer.

The reason I ask is that he used a homophobic slur in the song, but then participated in a Freddy Mercury tribute. He's also performed with Elton John. Slash has performed with BB King, and praised James Brown publicly. 

hihobibo said:
    3days said:

Leaving the song off from the Appetite boxset reissue, from a few years ago, tells you how they feel about it now.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    petted101 said:
    hihobibo said:
    3days said:

hihobibo said:
    3days said:

Leaving the song off from the Appetite boxset reissue, from a few years ago, tells you how they feel about it now.
    Maybe that's why Lies hasn't been and maybe won't be reissued.  It's a shame because it's a great song, melody wise.  Just need to change the lyrics. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Axl is speaking from the point of view of the antagonist (racist, homophobe, etc). not autobiographical. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Axl is speaking from the point of view of the antagonist (racist, homophobe, etc). not autobiographical. 
    Source?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Source?
    Not a source per se but I do recall reading statements to that effect back in the day, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Source?
    my memory. I've read tons of interviews and autobiographies of those in the know (like Slash). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    GNR were constantly hounded by the LBGT groups about One in a million.  They finally agreed to not sing it publicly anymore.  It's actually my fav GNR song because of it's rawness.  Too many things in it to fly nowadays though.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Just uploaded on official channel:

https://youtu.be/T28wD-x36GI
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    I saw them in Seattle, the first tour after they got back together.  It was pretty good, so good, that I felt it was almost too polished.  I felt like they predetermined who stands where, how long you spend on each side or the middle.   It felt a little a little too smooth :)

My favourite GNR show is actually a guns n replacements show.  It was in Edmonton around 2006.   It was old school Axl doesn't show up until after 12am kind of thing.   Any fan knows that and books the next day off work :)    The show was amazing.  We had such a good time.   It went until 2:30am in the arena.   Axl even did a Duet with Bubbles from trailer park boys.. lol.
    My favorite was when I got to see them open for Aerosmith on the Permanent Vacation.  They had something to prove and played like it.  

I didn’t think about the polished angle.  I had super low expectations because of my disdain for Axl so the fact that they were on time and played hard made it a winner. 

saw that tour. guns blew up the stage. aerosmith came in a distant second
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Axl was such a butthole but I wish I had seen them back at the full height of their popularity.

Lots of fun to see them a few times recently, can only imagine what a blast I would've had back then.
    Sat outside the Coliseum in LA one time right by a tunnel entrance and listened to them and Metallica.  Was cool, I didn't have the dough at that point to grab a ticket, being a broke student spending everything on beer and ladies.  :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Aug 8th Detroit Comerica Park.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    $49 Fenway tix are tempting but Tuesday night is tough. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JimmyV said:
    I had pit tix to the 2020 show, but let them go for a refund.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    We did the same. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JimmyV said:
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    We did the same. 
    It was kind of a heel move on my part since the tickets were a gift for my wife back then.

But I turned the refund into a kickass used five-piece drum set with cymbals, a throne, and even sticks so that I can make my own fun.

If she ever wants to go to another show, she can buy her own tickets from now on. That includes Pearl Jam. She can use her membership for lotteries and take one of the kids if she wants to go. I am out!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    We had pit tickets to the 2016 Seattle show.  We used them.  The show was pretty good, but I felt they must of negotiated how much time they spent on each part of the stage (right, left, or middle) and how much time they interacted with each other.  As cool as it was.. it has this weird organized vibe to it.  I enjoyed the show quite a bit... but that stood out.

The other part that's odd is I saw Guns N' Replacements play Edmonton around 2008 (maybe give or take a year).  I saw them play twice while I lived there but the first time was the standout.  It was such a fun show.  Maybe because I hadn't seen Axl perform before, or maybe because Bubbles did a duet with Axl, but the show was good.  It feels kind of weird that I might actually like a Guns N' Replacements show better than the one I saw with Axl/Slash/Duff.

Needless to say, they've played Seattle and Vancouver a few times since then and I've never ponied up for tickets again.  It was pretty fun to see once as arm/leg prices for good tickets,but it's hard to keep paying the money over and over again for similar sets and performances.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    I saw them in Seattle, the first tour after they got back together.  It was pretty good, so good, that I felt it was almost too polished.  I felt like they predetermined who stands where, how long you spend on each side or the middle.   It felt a little a little too smooth :)

My favourite GNR show is actually a guns n replacements show.  It was in Edmonton around 2006.   It was old school Axl doesn't show up until after 12am kind of thing.   Any fan knows that and books the next day off work :)    The show was amazing.  We had such a good time.   It went until 2:30am in the arena.   Axl even did a Duet with Bubbles from trailer park boys.. lol.
    My favorite was when I got to see them open for Aerosmith on the Permanent Vacation.  They had something to prove and played like it.  

I didn’t think about the polished angle.  I had super low expectations because of my disdain for Axl so the fact that they were on time and played hard made it a winner. 

Were you in Cleveland at the time? It was at the Richfield Coliseum. 
    Zod said:
    We had pit tickets to the 2016 Seattle show.  We used them.  The show was pretty good, but I felt they must of negotiated how much time they spent on each part of the stage (right, left, or middle) and how much time they interacted with each other.  As cool as it was.. it has this weird organized vibe to it.  I enjoyed the show quite a bit... but that stood out.

The other part that's odd is I saw Guns N' Replacements play Edmonton around 2008 (maybe give or take a year).  I saw them play twice while I lived there but the first time was the standout.  It was such a fun show.  Maybe because I hadn't seen Axl perform before, or maybe because Bubbles did a duet with Axl, but the show was good.  It feels kind of weird that I might actually like a Guns N' Replacements show better than the one I saw with Axl/Slash/Duff.

Needless to say, they've played Seattle and Vancouver a few times since then and I've never ponied up for tickets again.  It was pretty fun to see once as arm/leg prices for good tickets,but it's hard to keep paying the money over and over again for similar sets and performances.
    I've seen them in 1993 (UYI-obviously the best one), 2006, and 2017. I gotta agree with this, but I think the difference for me was GNReplacements was an arena tour and GNR was stadiums. Makes a massive difference to me when I'm closer to Slash than Axl is. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

Were you in Cleveland at the time? It was at the Richfield Coliseum. 

buckeye lake

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    The GnR touring machine is starting to lose some momentum...they were originally scheduled to play SOFI Stadium in Los Angeles, but they have switched to a smaller soccer stadium.

they need to at least release an EP, and it has to be GOOD. you can't milk the nostalgia machine forever. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    they need to at least release an EP, and it has to be GOOD. you can't milk the nostalgia machine forever. 
    I think some bands can, and I think GnFnR can fit that, they have so many songs people love.

Journey
    The Eagles
    KISS
    Billy Joel
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Aerosmith

I think some bands can, and I think GnFnR can fit that, they have so many songs people love.

Journey
    The Eagles
    KISS
    Billy Joel
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Aerosmith

not in stadiums I don't think. at least not in NA. in SA maybe. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Journey
    The Eagles
    KISS
    Billy Joel
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Aerosmith

They may not fill stadiums every other year (or whatever their run tried to be) but they can milk the hell out of arenas like those other bands, I would think.
    I saw them on their first revival tour in a stadium and the next year in an arena and unsurprisingly I thought the arena show was 10x better.
    I would enjoy seeing them every other year, although only in an arena (or smaller) and I would not spring for pimp seats by the stage again.  I can sing along and drink just as well from 50 rows up.  :lol:     

Journey
    The Eagles
    KISS
    Billy Joel
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Aerosmith

stones can. and do.

mickeyrat said:

Journey
    The Eagles
    KISS
    Billy Joel
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Aerosmith

stones can. and do.
    guns n roses are not the stones. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This is true
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    It did feel like GNR has their demand stuck between arenas and stadiums.  They can easily sell out an arena, but they're leaving money on floor. On the flip side if they play a stadium outside the biggest cities, they don't sell out.  What do you do when your demand is 30000 or 40000 tickets.  10000 or 20000 bigger than an arena but 10 or 20000 less than a smaller stadium.

I kind of like that GNR went for some stadiums.  No issue getting tickets.

I do agree it'll be tough to keep that up at the priced they were charging.   Probably settle into a hybrid model of Arenas with some stadiums mixed in for the super big US cities.

I do wonder if they'll ever put out new music.  As fun as the shows are Axl doesn't really sound like his AFD or UYI self.  I am curious if they can pull it off.