I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Who has LBJ talking about his long balls on vinyl?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    dankind said:
    Holy shit, that's the funniest thing I've heard from a president.  

Did you ever hear the Earl Weaver Manager's Corner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQbN0jFo_k
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421
    mrussel1 said:
    Are the speeches soundboard quality?  How is the soundstage?>

I kid, I kid.  I'd buy that in a second. 
    drunk taper.  lot of WOOOOOOOO!!! PLAY FREEBIRD!!!!

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Just arrived and what an absolutely beautiful single this is.  I'm a big Juliana Hatfield fan and this will easily remain one of my favorite recordings of hers.  I absolutely love it.  And the cover is awesome as well!
    Christmas Cactus Vinyl 7 45 RPM Limited Edition Reissue album cover

Juliana Hatfield ‎– Christmas Cactus

Label:
    American Laundromat Records ‎– ALR-0052
    Format:
    Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Limited Edition, Reissue, Coke Bottle Clear
    Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

Also got this treasure- a Russian pressing of an excellent collection of great Led Zeppelin numbers. 
    And how is that pressing, Brian?
    IT ROCKS! :smiley:                           

Stairway To Heaven Vinyl LP Compilation album cover

Led Zeppelin ‎– Stairway To Heaven

Label:
    Мелодия ‎– С60 27501 005
    Series:
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Compilation
    Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Just arrived and what an absolutely beautiful single this is.  I'm a big Juliana Hatfield fan and this will easily remain one of my favorite recordings of hers.  I absolutely love it.  And the cover is awesome as well!

Label:
    Format:
    Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

Also got this treasure- a Russian pressing of an excellent collection of great Led Zeppelin numbers. 

Label:
    Мелодия ‎– С60 27501 005
    Series:
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Compilation
    Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

zep track listing?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Label:
    Format:
    Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

Label:
    Мелодия ‎– С60 27501 005
    Series:
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Compilation
    Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

zep track listing?

Here ya go:

Tracklist

A1 Immigrant Song = Песня Иммигрантов 2:24
    A2 Gallows Pole = Виселица 4:55
    A3 Since I've Been Loving You = С Тех Пор, Как Я Тебя Люблю 7:23
    A4 Black Dog = Черный Пес 4:53
    B1 When The Levee Breaks = Когда Рухнет Плотина 7:08
    B2 Rock And Roll = Рок-н-Ролл 3:39
    B3 Stairway To Heaven = Лестница На Небеса 8:00

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

OMG This was gold!!  If this was real then I absolutely love it.

"Speed?  WTF do we want speed for?  A bunch of fucking fleas dancing around the bases and getting picked off.  Get somebody who can hit the fuckin ball out of the park so they can't make those mistakes!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Weaver I knew was colorful but this was great.  He tells the announcer to GFY at the end.  Oh that is great!!!

Who knew that Weaver was in to analytics way back then?  Just hit a homer, no small ball.
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

OMG This was gold!!  If this was real then I absolutely love it.

"Speed?  WTF do we want speed for?  A bunch of fucking fleas dancing around the bases and getting picked off.  Get somebody who can hit the fuckin ball out of the park so they can't make those mistakes!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Weaver I knew was colorful but this was great.  He tells the announcer to GFY at the end.  Oh that is great!!!

Who knew that Weaver was in to analytics way back then?  Just hit a homer, no small ball.
    Weaver was absolutely a believer in the three run homer!  

My understanding is that this was taped as a lark, but never aired.  But it is him.  What a mouth on that guy.  
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694

thanks to Hugh.....

GlowGirl said:

One of the better modern rock records you will find,  in terms of sonic quality.  I also think it's their best record by a mile.  
  • AW124797AW124797 Posts: 641
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    AW124797 said:

You might want to check your copy. Mine sounds like shit. Pardon my French.
    That's just how The Mars Volta sounds...

Purchased the CD at Target in 2003, listened to it once and it's been on the shelf since.
    I had the CD when it came out but sold it back to the shop pretty fast. Figured some time has passed, and I should give them another shot since so many people hold it in such high esteem and it was coming up on the subscription anyway. 

Sorry to hear it’s a lousy pressing, though. 
    Just finished listening to mine. Guess I got lucky because it sounds great! I gave it a coupla good cleanings first after reading your review here and others elsewhere and then resleeved it in Mofis. The included inners suck. 
    You definitely got lucky. Very few good copies were pressed. You're right -  these sleeves gave me chills when i heard that  scratching sound while removing the record. Awful. Experts at VMP should know better. 
    AW124797 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    AW124797 said:

You might want to check your copy. Mine sounds like shit. Pardon my French.
    That's just how The Mars Volta sounds...

Purchased the CD at Target in 2003, listened to it once and it's been on the shelf since.
    I had the CD when it came out but sold it back to the shop pretty fast. Figured some time has passed, and I should give them another shot since so many people hold it in such high esteem and it was coming up on the subscription anyway. 

Sorry to hear it’s a lousy pressing, though. 
    Just finished listening to mine. Guess I got lucky because it sounds great! I gave it a coupla good cleanings first after reading your review here and others elsewhere and then resleeved it in Mofis. The included inners suck. 
    You definitely got lucky. Very few good copies were pressed. You're right -  these sleeves gave me chills when i heard that  scratching sound while removing the record. Awful. Experts at VMP should know better. 
    Yeah, and they’re textured a bit on the inside! At least, the ones that came with mine are. Between the pulp particles from that and the dust particles from the vinyl, it took a couple of cleanings. Also, lesson learned: Wet cleaning plus pulp equals extra work because you basically just made paste!

Anyway, I gave it a pretty close listen; if anything, it’s so quiet in the quiet spots that it’s making me notice my table’s crankiness, which is its own pain in my procrastinating ass. 

I’m going to give it a go with the headphones on next listen. Might hear the record’s flaws over my TT’s crankiness better that way.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Just arrived and the first time I'd completely heard this album.  The first cut on side two- "Move On Up"- I've heard a million times, of course, but side A... OH, side A!  Stunning!  And the pressing- Run Out Grove does it again, out of the park!
    Curtis Vinyl LP Album Deluxe Edition Reissue album cover

Curtis Mayfield ‎– Curtis

Label:
    Curtom ‎– 081227891978, Rhino Records (2) ‎– 081227891978, Run Out Groove ‎– ROGV-141
    Format:
    2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Deluxe Edition, Reissue, Yellow Vinyl
    Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Husker Du Zen Arcade 
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    All 3 records are a gift for my eldest brother! :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Often read this thread jealous of all the bargain finds and wishing I had something fun to contribute (and brag about a little!) and today was that day. Walked into a tiny charity shop here in Scotland and noticed Nevermind sitting on a pile of records. Assumed it was the repress, but turns out it was the original 1991 pressing in amazing condition, and underneath it was Out of Time, Zooropa, Achtung Baby (all og 90s versions) and Comes a Time. All for the sum total of £16! While I was paying for those 5 the woman said she had one more out back that she couldn't put out (because naked ladies), hands me Electric Ladyland and asks for £2! My mouth almost hit the floor. Thanks lady, and thanks old guy giving away all of his daughters old records. Enjoying my listening tonight for sure

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Grateful Dead - Fox Theatre, St. Louis '71

Often read this thread jealous of all the bargain finds and wishing I had something fun to contribute (and brag about a little!) and today was that day. Walked into a tiny charity shop here in Scotland and noticed Nevermind sitting on a pile of records. Assumed it was the repress, but turns out it was the original 1991 pressing in amazing condition, and underneath it was Out of Time, Zooropa, Achtung Baby (all og 90s versions) and Comes a Time. All for the sum total of £16! While I was paying for those 5 the woman said she had one more out back that she couldn't put out (because naked ladies), hands me Electric Ladyland and asks for £2! My mouth almost hit the floor. Thanks lady, and thanks old guy giving away all of his daughters old records. Enjoying my listening tonight for sure

Goddam, what a score.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    jjflash said:

Box set up for pre-order.
    mrussel1 said:
    Often read this thread jealous of all the bargain finds and wishing I had something fun to contribute (and brag about a little!) and today was that day. Walked into a tiny charity shop here in Scotland and noticed Nevermind sitting on a pile of records. Assumed it was the repress, but turns out it was the original 1991 pressing in amazing condition, and underneath it was Out of Time, Zooropa, Achtung Baby (all og 90s versions) and Comes a Time. All for the sum total of £16! While I was paying for those 5 the woman said she had one more out back that she couldn't put out (because naked ladies), hands me Electric Ladyland and asks for £2! My mouth almost hit the floor. Thanks lady, and thanks old guy giving away all of his daughters old records. Enjoying my listening tonight for sure

Goddam, what a score.  
    All appear to be well taken care of as well!

:rock_on:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    jjflash said:

where?  Is it limited?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    mrussel1 said:
    jjflash said:

where?  Is it limited?
    Pre-order up on dead.net. Looks like 12k sets available.

after having bit on the VMP Dead box set, I’m good on GD for a while.
  • dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Goddam, what a score.  
    All appear to be well taken care of as well!

:rock_on:
    Other than records being very grimy, presumably from years of storage, everything in excellent condition. Amazing.

That Nirvana pressing sounds amazing (it’s the misprint with upside down liner notes) and the Hendrix is such a great listen after years not having heard the full album. Very happy!
  • mrussel1 said:

Goddam, what a score.  
    The lady in the store said the old guy was due to come back with more later - I’ll be there every day to check!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694

Wow!!! All of the thrift shops around here have gotten wise to Discogs. Not many bargains to be found. Kudos!!

• GlowGirl said:

Wow!!! All of the thrift shops around here have gotten wise to Discogs. Not many bargains to be found. Kudos!!

Definitely the same here for the most part, especially where nice stuff is usually donated, but there’s still the odd gem to be found. Just imagine all the treasure sitting unplayed in peoples homes, with no idea of its value. Wild. 

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2021
    mrussel1 said:

Goddam, what a score.  
    No doubt. That is awesome! 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606

Where e x a c t l y in Scotland?

Joke. Don't tell. That is great!! Congrats.