Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    Does anyone here on these forums even really care about Canadian politics?

LOL…

i always wondered why canadians on here are so obsessed with American politics when their own country is such a mess in itself.  
    I always wondered why americans are so obsessed with Israeli/middle east politics when their own country is such a mess in itself. 
    i would wonder that too. haven't noticed Americans on here obsess over that like the canadians do the US, its kinda weird how obsessed canadians are with US politics. 
    you missed my point. the point is no nation is an island. our proximity to the US and the US's extremely influential status on the world stage make it an obvious focus for many people, particularly canada and mexico. 

we also consume a SHIT ton of american media. that's how it's always been. our cultures are inextricably culturally intertwined. I understand many americans (possibly yourself) are primarily focused just on america, and that's also a very "american" ideal. so I can understand how it would confuse you how others aren't solely focused on the nation where they live within the mythical borders on a map. 
    i didnt miss anything.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    if you say so, champ. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    if you say so, champ. 
    Rocky the raging optimist how Sylvester Stallone39s boxing saga floored  America

eh...?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Look at these posers...

I know when I go get fast food that I'm servered water in glasses...lmfao
    Give Peas A Chance…

Even his tongue is black…hehehe

Any country would be proud to have him as PM…LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    ^^^
    So we know who you don’t like and why(which is a very typical Canadian voting strategy), but just curious who you would support and why?
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I dunno.  I don't feel like Trudeau is an amazing leader, but he's who we got.  He's a minority government leader which shows you Canadians really had no faith in anyone who ran in the last election. It only takes something like 40% of the popular vote to win in our system, and no one did it.

The conservatives keep putting up leader to represent the ideology and needs of the prairies.  Much of Canada doesn't feel the same way.  I don't think the Cons stand a chance of winning a minority government for while.

You're probably stuck with Trudeau for a while.  Not because he's great, but because he runs against people that are even more rubbish than he is.. lol.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Look at these posers...

It isn't fast food. They are at a White Spot, which is a sit down restaurant. They just took the food in bags to go sit outside. It makes sense that they got water in a glass.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    erebus said:
    ^^^
    So we know who you don’t like and why(which is a very typical Canadian voting strategy), but just curious who you would support and why?
    What’s Jean Chrétien doing these days?  I’m not opposed to liberals.  I voted Chrétien… he was a good responsible leader who paid the bills…

Justine Trudeau is not a leader.  He’s an activist who leads an activist government.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Will the 2 Micheals still get to vote from that Chinese shithole their in?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

Look at these posers...

It isn't fast food. They are at a White Spot, which is a sit down restaurant. They just took the food in bags to go sit outside. It makes sense that they got water in a glass.
    Thanks for the clarification.  It just seemed odd.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    erebus said:
    ^^^
    What’s Jean Chrétien doing these days?  I’m not opposed to liberals.  I voted Chrétien… he was a good responsible leader who paid the bills…

Justine Trudeau is not a leader.  He’s an activist who leads an activist government.

I felt the same way.   Cretien was the only solid PM I recall during my lifetime.  Sure he made a few mistakes, but overall he ran the country well.    Never did figure out why his own party pushed him to the side.    That era was all over once Martin became a minority PM and Liberals lost their mojo.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    erebus said:
    ^^^

On the other hand, Chretien was the Indian Affairs Minister under Pierre Elliot Trudeau and the author of the 1969 White Paper that essentially called for the assimilation of the Indigenous peoples. He talked about Indigenous people who wanted to retain a traditional way of life as being "nostalgic for the past" and needing to move on. Why does he get a pass when PET doesn't? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    thats a very interesting question....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Do the 2 Micheals get to vote from that Chinese hell hole they are in?

Why are we honoring the extradition treaty with the US?  It's not like they are an honorable country...every time we turn around they like to screw their northern neighbor? 

Why doesn't dear leader negotiate with China to get the 2 Micheals home in exchange for Meng?

Give Peas A Chance…
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    edited July 2021
    Can he lower his convicted rate to 50% before he calls his senseless early election? I’m disappointed in myself that I’m now holding people that voted Liberal in the last election as complicit in all this government’s malfeasance. Funny how quickly this story dropped “below the fold” on the cbc site, lol.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-pitfield-dion-ethics-1.6103035

Edit:  As I looked at several (5) Canadian news sites only CBC and National Post are actually running this story so I should give CBC credit for that much.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022

Why are we honoring the extradition treaty with the US?  It's not like they are an honorable country...every time we turn around they like to screw their northern neighbor? 

Why doesn't dear leader negotiate with China to get the 2 Micheals home in exchange for Meng?

If that were me. I would of let her escape to a Chinese embassy or something.. lol.   Sorry America she got away! :)
    Zod said:

If that were me. I would of let her escape to a Chinese embassy or something.. lol.   Sorry America she got away! :)
    That would work as well.  If she’s extradited to US, the w Micheals will never get out of that Chinese he’ll hole.  I find it amusing Trudeau thinks the US will help…lmfao.  The us only does what is in their best interest, otherwise they would never asked us to get involved.

it’s time Trudeau developed a spine and do what’s best for Canadians…not the Chinese, not the Americans and not the free loading bureaucrats at the UN… 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Can he lower his convicted rate to 50% before he calls his senseless early election? I’m disappointed in myself that I’m now holding people that voted Liberal in the last election as complicit in all this government’s malfeasance. Funny how quickly this story dropped “below the fold” on the cbc site, lol.

Edit:  As I looked at several (5) Canadian news sites only CBC and National Post are actually running this story so I should give CBC credit for that much.
    Trudeau is the most incompetent, corrupt lazy asshole to ever hold the office of Prime Minister…and he’s a racist, misogynist in which 30% of the country voted for…jeesh.  But if we are honest…Canadians are more racist than they want to admit…
    Give Peas A Chance…

Trudeau is the most incompetent, corrupt lazy asshole to ever hold the office of Prime Minister…and he’s a racist, misogynist in which 30% of the country voted for…jeesh.  But if we are honest…Canadians are more racist than they want to admit…

And that goes to show you how much of Canada doesn't believe in the Conservative party.   We're generally choosing between 3 turds at every election.. sigh.

I think from this point on, I'm just going to vote green at every election.  I know they won't win, but I'm disenfranchised enough of the main parties that I no longer care.

I do think Trudeau did ok at handling the pandemic, but it felt like it was more my provincial government than federal.   All the federal government did was procure vaccines (which they did a solid job on considering we don't make them).

Taliban will 'hang me': Afghan interpreters plead with Canada for help

Typical fucking Trudeau…what an asshole.

Give Peas A Chance…
    It sure pained Trudeau to have to come out in support of democracy in Cuba…we know he is really on the side of the regime…

these are the assholes real feelings…

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement on the death of former Cuban President Fidel Castro:

“It is with deep sorrow that I learned today of the death of Cuba’s longest serving President.

“Fidel Castro was a larger than life leader who served his people for almost half a century. A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation.

“While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for “el Comandante”.

“I know my father was very proud to call him a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Fidel when my father passed away. It was also a real honour to meet his three sons and his brother President Raúl Castro during my recent visit to Cuba.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and many, many supporters of Mr. Castro. We join the people of Cuba today in mourning the loss of this remarkable leader.”

And forget about Jughead Singh.  Everyone knows he’s a clown at this point.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Zod said:

And that goes to show you how much of Canada doesn't believe in the Conservative party.   We're generally choosing between 3 turds at every election.. sigh.

I think from this point on, I'm just going to vote green at every election.  I know they won't win, but I'm disenfranchised enough of the main parties that I no longer care.

I do think Trudeau did ok at handling the pandemic, but it felt like it was more my provincial government than federal.   All the federal government did was procure vaccines (which they did a solid job on considering we don't make them).
    Remember the conservatives won the popular vote in the last election.  So I’m not so sure they are all that hated.

The Green Party is in complete shambles.  They want to dump their leader…she’s Jewish and the greens are anti-Semitic…

The reason the conservatives are struggling is because Erin O Tool is not a conservative…he’s liberal light.

All that fucking spending Trudeau does and yet the clown will not sit down and negotiate with the premiers to increase health care spending from the federal level…health care should be something we strive to improve…but instead he’s giving money away to companies…what a douche…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409

asshole cuz he lets refugees from around the world and asshole for not acting quick enough here?

make up your damn mind.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

asshole cuz he lets refugees from around the world and asshole for not acting quick enough here?

make up your damn mind.
    Let a few interpreters in is much different than allowing 10s of thousand refugees in who are only here for the freebies…

Also.  You do realize Canada is a massive country, 2nd largest in the world…80% of people live in the southern part of Canada.  Why is that you may ask?  We are 1 of the coldest countries on earth…the vast majority of people do not want to move very far North.  They let these refugees in with no plan for housing…I used to live in one of the most affordable areas in Canada…now housing prices/rental prices are unaffordable for many people of modest income.

David Suzuki says it best…

you should go visit Canada’s North sometime in January…I’m sure you’ll be moving there as well…

and why doesn’t the USA take in more if that what you  want…write your congressman…

You want a cleaner environment and mass immigration…lol.  Can’t have both.  People use vast amounts of resources…and unnecessarily at that…

David Suzuki shifts immigration debate into new territory

https://vancouversun.com/life/david-suzuki-shifts-immigration-debate-into-new-territory

OTTAWA — In what looks like a philosophical role reversal, a high-profile environmental activist appears to have suggested Canada has had its fill of immigrants, while a Conservative minister calls that point of view “xenophobic.” Prominent environmentalist David Suzuki, in remarks published earlier this month in the Paris-based publication L’Express, is quoted as saying Canada’s immigration policy is “disgusting” because “We plunder southern countries by depriving them of future leaders, and we want to increase our population to support economic growth.” “It’s crazy!” he is quoted as saying.  The remarks appeared in the magazine in French. In the interview, he appears to link population growth with environmental degradation, saying: “I think Canada is full, too! Although it’s the second largest country in the world, our useful area has been reduced.” 

Give Peas A Chance…
    These interpreters helped us…

and let’s not forget that the only reason we were even in Afghanistan was because the mighty powerful America used Article 5 to draw your acquaintance’s in a war that your war monger president wanted and was responsible for…

and far too many young Canadians died and were injured in another bullshit American war.  And the USA was responsible for the mess in the Middle East that lead to the Syrian war…yet you fuckers expect your acquaintances to clean up your fucking messes…maybe the US should put on their big boy pants for once and clean up your own messes or at least quit dragging other countries into your war mongering ways…

and now we got troops in and around Ukraine…more America bullshit.

just like dragging us into the Meng situation and now 2 Micheals are locked up in a Chinese hell hole…that your country created and has done nothing to solve the problem.

she should be released.. But, but Iran..lmfao
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2021
    Zod said:

Remember the conservatives won the popular vote in the last election.  So I’m not so sure they are all that hated.

The Green Party is in complete shambles.  They want to dump their leader…she’s Jewish and the greens are anti-Semitic…

The reason the conservatives are struggling is because Erin O Tool is not a conservative…he’s liberal light.

All that fucking spending Trudeau does and yet the clown will not sit down and negotiate with the premiers to increase health care spending from the federal level…health care should be something we strive to improve…but instead he’s giving money away to companies…what a douche…

I don't think they're all that loved either.  To be honest I don't think Canadians love any of our options... we vote on what seems least offensive.

I think it'll get increasing harder for the Cons to win a Federal Election majority without figuring out how to embrace the rest of Canada.  Even though they won the popular vote, a lot of the vote was concentrated in the prairies, so overflow of votes there, and a shortage elsewhere.

I think the challenge with Health Care is once you add it, you can't take it back, or it's pretty hard to do so.  So we're already in the hole, and it'll bring is deeper into the hole.  One of my pet peeves is when they talk about adding drugs, dental, etc.. to health care... and I'm like wait a minute. I can't even get a f'ing doctor.   Why won't make health care work first, then talk about expanding it's scope?
    Post edited by Zod on
    Linda Ward on Twitter: "Police and private security have arrived at Lamport Stadium. The city says they will be evicting the 14 to 17 people experiencing homelessness who live at this encampment https://t.co/TURYWMwt5o" / Twitter

Toronto is such a progressive caring city.  Look at the love...

Yup, this city, which is so progressive will vote for the corrupt Trudeau liberals...because they are PROGRESSIVE.

I'm embarrassed for this province...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Does anyone here on these forums even really care about Canadian politics?

LOL…

i always wondered why canadians on here are so obsessed with American politics when their own country is such a mess in itself.  
    It's the same difference between watching the NFL (American Politics)  or the CFL  (Canadian Politics).  No matter how you slice it, football may be football..  but the NFL...   it's just so, so, so, so much more entertaining. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Zod said:
    I dunno.  I don't feel like Trudeau is an amazing leader, but he's who we got.  He's a minority government leader which shows you Canadians really had no faith in anyone who ran in the last election. It only takes something like 40% of the popular vote to win in our system, and no one did it.

The conservatives keep putting up leader to represent the ideology and needs of the prairies.  Much of Canada doesn't feel the same way.  I don't think the Cons stand a chance of winning a minority government for while.

You're probably stuck with Trudeau for a while.  Not because he's great, but because he runs against people that are even more rubbish than he is.. lol.
    So remarkably true and so, so remarkably sad.   It's like hiring for a job... every candidate blows goats... but one of them worked at Starbucks so you're like "hmm.. maybe he can make good coffee."   (Spoiler alert: he can't) 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx