Canada: genocide and attempted extermination of indigenous peoples….

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    from an adbook post that ran across my feed today...

Jessica O'Neill
    As a Canadian and a historian, I’m going to explain some of the key facts you need to know about the Residential School graves making international headlines. A French translation is here: https://tinyurl.com/7zp4sb6h

I see lots of comments from people around the world who either a) think this is an overstated and politicised  'woke Liberal' story or b) had zero idea about this part of Canadian history. Some are wondering why there's  talk of 'cancelling Canada Day.' So, let's talk about it.

I want to start by saying that for Indigenous people, this topic is incredibly distressing. The gaslighting in comment sections is equally disturbing. If you are Indigenous and are struggling with this news, you can call the National Indian Residential School Crisis Line: 1-866-925-4419. If you are Indigenous and think I have misrepresented any of the following information, please let me know.

For the rest of us, let me explain a few things. Canadian and unsure about the history of Residential Schools? Non-Canadian and not sure what's going on? This is for you.

In Canada, the term Indigenous comprises First Nations, Inuit, and Métis people. 1876's Indian Act gave the Federal Government full control over most aspects of Indigenous life. Much of the Indian Act is still in place today.

Residential Schools were a government-mandated policy officially enacted in 1880 with the passage of the Residential Schools Act. (However, French missionaries' efforts to isolate and 'educate' First Nations children date back to the late 18th century.)

These schools were designed to 'kill the Indian in the child." Laws dictated that families must send Indigenous children as young as four to these boarding schools. There were no exceptions. RCMP officers forcibly removed children from families who would not comply.

The schools were often in isolated areas or on islands, as otherwise, children would constantly try to escape and go back to their families. If geographically possible, parents would camp near schools to catch a glimpse of their children and would be driven away by RCMP under threat of violence.

The schools were operated by churches. Approximately 50% were Catholic, and the remainder were Protestant denominations, including Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian, United, and Baptist. Children were not allowed to speak their language or practice any of their cultural traditions under threat of beating. Religion was used as just one form of abuse.

The schools were overcrowded and often unheated. Children were underfed due to budgetary constraints, and also as a form of both control and punishment. Sexual assault was sickeningly commonplace and often doled out as punishment. Many otherwise healthy children wasted away from depression and homesickness. Some drowned trying to swim home. Others froze to death as they tried to walk home.

In 1907, the Department of Indian Affairs' 'Bryce Report' documented a 40-60% mortality rate at these institutions, mainly from tuberculosis. The same report showed that 90 - 100% of children suffered severe physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. Despite this information, the schools remained open for another 90 years.

Again - this is all documented fact. None of this is up for debate. Even the most right-wing Canadian understands this as fact.

The graveyards we are finding are filled with unmarked graves. Some include mass graves, in which more than one body was buried at the same time. This is not new information. Residential School survivors have been telling us they're there for generations.

From 2008 - 2015, Canada engaged in one of the largest Truth and Reconciliation Commission processes ever undertaken. It concluded with 94 calls to action, most of which have not been actioned, further eroding Indigenous people's trust in Canada. Many rightfully believe that the TRC was lip service.

Call to Action 75 states: "We call upon the federal government to work with provincial, territorial, and municipal governments, churches, Aboriginal communities, former residential school students, and current landowners to develop and implement strategies and procedures for the ongoing identification, documentation, maintenance, commemoration, and protection of residential school cemeteries or other sites at which residential school children were buried. This is to include the provision of Calls to Action| 9 appropriate memorial ceremonies and commemorative markers to honour the deceased children."

See, they were telling us those graves were there. I learned about Residential School cemeteries in the early '00s in journal articles. The information has been readily available. No one was listening.

On May 27, 2021, the Tk’emlups te Secwépemc Nation hired the services of a ground-penetrating radar team and confirmed what was already known. The remains of 215 children lay beneath the soil. "We had a knowing in our community that we were able to verify. To our knowledge, these missing children are undocumented deaths,” stated Kukpi7 Rosanne Casimir. “Some were as young as three years old."

On June 4, 104 potential graves were discovered by the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation at Brandon Indian Residential School in Manitoba. Of these, 78 may be accounted for (but that does not mean that those children were not also abused and/or died of preventable disease). Chief Jennifer Bone says, “We must honour the memory of the children that never made it home by holding the Government of Canada, Churches and all responsible parties accountable for their inhumane actions.”

And most recently, as many as 751 unmarked graves were located near the former site of Marieval Indian Residential School in Saskatchewan, associated with the Cowessess First Nation. Again, some of these may be accounted for. That does not diminish the horror. “This was a crime against humanity, an assault on First Nations,” says Chief Bobby Cameron of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous First Nations in Saskatchewan.

I'm not qualified to speak at length about the generational trauma that has ravaged Indigenous communities. Generations of people are struggling with substance abuse as a direct result of the Residential Schools Act, yet many other Canadians don't cut them much slack.

Many of the homeless people in Western Canada’s tent cities are residential school survivors. There is also an ongoing epidemic of missing and murdered Indigenous girls and women. Despite making up only 10% of the population, Indigenous children represent 52% of those currently in social services care.

For the non-Canadians reading this, you should know that open racism towards Indigenous people in Canada is common and often socially acceptable. (I know this goes against our international reputation.)

Finally, you will see people arguing that these graves are the result of sickness and disease, as if that's somehow okay. You'll even see some people arguing that the number of graves isn't all that high, as life expectancy 'was lower back then.'

Yes, tuberculosis and childhood diseases do account for many of these deaths. But these diseases were allowed to run rampant through filthy and overcrowded institutions. Little malnourished, homesick bodies couldn't fend off the disease. So, they died alone, crying for their mothers.

And then they were buried in the place they hated most, with no record of their death. Some parents were never actually told what happened to their children. They just never came home.

To counter these bad-faith arguments about disease and ‘the number of graves not actually being that high’, we can again look to contemporary sources, such as The Bryce Report. 90 – 100% of children were abused. The schools had a documented mortality rate of 40 – 60%.

Of course, the childhood mortality rate in Canada in 1907 was high, around 25% - 30%. However, these figures include infant mortality, which is much higher, therefore skewing the data. A very conservative estimate puts the mortality rate from TB at Residential Schools (children aged 4 - 18) around three to four times higher than the general population.

Also, remember that these graves do not represent all of the children who died at Residential Schools. We have many oral reports of priests, nuns, and teachers incinerating bodies (especially of those beaten or abused to death) in furnaces, or disposing of them in other ways.

You need to know that these discoveries will continue. There were 139 residential schools in Canada, and nearly 150,000 children attended them over the course of 117+ years. But the graves are not the only horror. The true horror is the fact that we've known about all of this for generations, and that we allowed it to happen until 1997. The shame is the ‘schools’ themselves. The graves are just a physical record of what happened.

This is not about ‘left’ or ‘right.’ Nothing I have written here is disputed. These are facts. The Federal Government, RCMP, local police forces, the courts, and many churches worked together to systematically abuse and eradicate entire generations of kids.

If you feel bad, that’s normal. But sitting around feeling guilty helps no one, especially not Indigenous people. Instead, consistently challenge these comments about ‘short 19th-century life expectancies' and ‘that’s not a mass grave.’ Challenge the people in your life who use racial slurs or anti-Indigenous rhetoric.

If you’re Canadian, write to your MP and demand that they action the 94 TRC Calls to Action. Share and amplify posts by Indigenous people, and include the Survivors' hotline. Listen to what local Indigenous people are asking for, and then help in any way you can – that includes donating generously to Residential School survivors. https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/how-to-support-survivors-of-residential-schools-1.5453277

And at least for this year, consider skipping Canada Day 'celebrations.’ But whether you celebrate or not is less important than insisting on systemic change, donating to survivors, and advocating for the 94 TRC Calls to Action.

Sources:

The TRC Calls to Action http://trc.ca/assets/pdf/Calls_to_Action_English2.pdf
    The Truth and Reconciliation Final Report  https://nctr.ca/records/reports/

The Calls for Justice from the Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/final-report/

History of the Schools:
    https://reconciliationcanada.ca/about/history-and-background/background/

The Bryce Report
    http://www.fnesc.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IRSR11-12-DE-1906-1910.pdf

Tk'emlúps Press Release
    https://tkemlups.ca/wp-content/uploads/05-May-27-2021-TteS-MEDIA-RELEASE.pdf

Wikipedia Residential School Entry
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system#Historya

Ashinabek Overview of Residential Schools
    http://www.anishinabek.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/An-Overview-of-the-IRS-System-Booklet.pdf

The TRC Index of Missing Children and Unmarked Burials
    https://nctr.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/English_Volume_4_Index_Revised.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3QhO-YaIkXGXtrb81RCFAEeeCeYg0AwN98VIk57XVDlauVAc-WCyIjh2k

Food used as punishment in Residential Schools
    https://foodsecurecanada.org/residential-schools-and-using-food-weapon

Research on Indigenous Kids in Care - CTV article
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/foster-care-replaced-residential-schools-for-indigenous-children-advocates-say-1.5459374

The Horrors of St. Anne's - CBC article
    https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/st-anne-residential-school-opp-documents?fbclid=IwAR3bBtoaWdrNRYrwYPgvTJNpR_V9AE9evtA8J59O8aSMknG0YGuHNjv3haET

As a US citizen, I recognize the history of racism in my own country.  That being said, I am shocked and disgusted by what is being found in Canada…Unfathomable how the Canadian government allowed these things to go on for so long into semi-recent history.  What the actual fuck… 
    most of this isn't actually new information. many of us canadians have known about this for years. but it wasn't taught in schools. at ALL. some of the atrocities are just becoming common knowledge, and it is truly shocking stuff. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    edited November 2023
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…

Hero legislation happening too, today.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    tish said:
    ^^ It's the recent Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG) aspect of the genocide that I personally survived, having lived on the streets of Vancouver for a few days before I got clean in 2003. I think I might have actually eaten a hamburger with some of the missing girls ground into the meat on the PoCo pig farm that police protected/misinvestigated. 

That and the ongoing FNIM children that are put in foster care, are the contributing factors to genocide for my generation.
    Excuse me but WTF?!?   missing girls ground into the meat on the PoCo pig farm

This shit really happened?  It's like something out of a movie, this is crazy.  Tish I am very happy that you found yourself out of harms way.  Holy cow.
    edited November 2023
    tish said:
    ^^ It's the recent Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG) aspect of the genocide that I personally survived, having lived on the streets of Vancouver for a few days before I got clean in 2003. I think I might have actually eaten a hamburger with some of the missing girls ground into the meat on the PoCo pig farm that police protected/misinvestigated. 

That and the ongoing FNIM children that are put in foster care, are the contributing factors to genocide for my generation.
    Excuse me but WTF?!?   missing girls ground into the meat on the PoCo pig farm

This shit really happened?  It's like something out of a movie, this is crazy.  Tish I am very happy that you found yourself out of harms way.  Holy cow.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton

Robert Pickton

The pig farmer should be executed as painfully as humanly possible…over several months, maybe years…

Give Peas A Chance…
    tish said:
    My god, she's been ate! Dirty frank.
    I just looked up this story.. Pickton.  Never knew about this one.

Boris slams Canadian anti-colonial protestors

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9749001/Angry-protestors-topple-deface-statues-Queen-great-great-grandmother-Victoria.html

Britain should Mind their own fucking business for once…what a bunch of assholes…
    Give Peas A Chance…

He’s so woke…what a fucking poser.  He’s a drama teacher and thinks running a country is a role you play…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    And probably a disgraced drama teacher at that…either way he is fucking lazy..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420

He’s so woke…what a fucking poser.  He’s a drama teacher and thinks running a country is a role you play…

context of this picture?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Who brings a professional photographer to a gravesite just to get a photo of for the upcoming expected election…a drama teacher and a poser…he’s just an embarrassment…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mickeyrat said:

context of this picture?
    That’s what this idiot does…he plays mr dress up…

but this seems like cultural appropriation especially coming from the leader of a party that has been running Canada about 70% of the time since 1900 … and is greatly responsible for residential schools, lack of clean drinking water…he’s a racist asshole just like his father who as PM took over residential schools in ‘69 and continued to build and operate them…

both Trudeau’s are an embarrassment…
    Give Peas A Chance…

Who brings a professional photographer to a gravesite just to get a photo of for the upcoming expected election…a drama teacher and a poser…he’s just an embarrassment…
    um, EVERY SINGLE LEADER ALIVE? that's what leaders do. they lead by example and bring awareness to important causes and events. that's part of the gig. no matter the party. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mickeyrat said:

context of this picture?

but this seems like cultural appropriation especially coming from the leader of a party that has been running Canada about 70% of the time since 1900 … and is greatly responsible for residential schools, lack of clean drinking water…he’s a racist asshole just like his father who as PM took over residential schools in ‘69 and continued to build and operate them…

answer my fucking question. where was this taken and under what fucking circumstances.

you know FUCKING CONTEXT
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

context of this picture?

answer my fucking question. where was this taken and under what fucking circumstances.

you know FUCKING CONTEXT
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/trudeau-afn-tsuutina-headdress-ceremony-1.3475730

PJNB said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

context of this picture?

you know FUCKING CONTEXT
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/trudeau-afn-tsuutina-headdress-ceremony-1.3475730

thank you.

huh, so he wasnt just playing dress up as the bitter would suggest.

Another church got torched in Saskatoon…

I wonder if the RCMP plans on solving any of these church burnings and vandalism taking place.

are we all free to vandalize things we don’t like.  It’d be fun if we could.  I’d like to spray bomb queens park and parliament. The 
    Give Peas A Chance…

I wonder if the RCMP plans on solving any of these church burnings and vandalism taking place.

are we all free to vandalize things we don’t like.  It’d be fun if we could.  I’d like to spray bomb queens park and parliament. The 
    Purged in real life?

Purged in real life?
    A once a year purge…burn snd vandalize churches and government buildings with no consequences…Lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mickeyrat said:
    PJNB said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

context of this picture?

you know FUCKING CONTEXT

thank you.

huh, so he wasnt just playing dress up as the bitter would suggest.
    everything he posts is nonsense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    RCMP have charged a youth with arson in connection with a church that burned on Kehewin Cree land in Alberta. 

Seems very unlikely to me that the different fires are perpetrated by the same person or group. May not even be ideologically similar motives, and there may be copycats. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Give Peas A Chance…
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,944

I feel like this is the endless struggle here in Canada.  Indigenous peoples of most countries colonized were treated extremely badly.  Their lands taken, large amounts of people killed, attempts to assimilate etc... It happened here, the US, etc...

It's horrible shit that can't really ever be made up for.   When they talked about reconciliation, I always wonder what that means.  It feels like because this horrible thing was done, there's no way to make up for it, so somehow it becomes about money.  I'm not sure that solution entirely works.   It always becomes about more money?

We have this weird situation with First Nations in Canada.  Many First Nations live on reserves.  It's sort of a semi-voluntary form of segregation (not voluntary to have had the reserves made, but sort of voluntarily that many choose to live there).  This causes a big separation from Canada and First Nations.

If the country is ever able to get past it, I think we have to figure out how to make our cultures work together.  I don't know what that looks like, or if it can be done, but separating the cultures doesn't seem to work.  I don't think throwing money at it works.   While it might of been the Government of Canada that committed these crimes, the people that pay for it, are the current residents of Canada, most of which didn't commit the crimes.  In an environment where the government massively increased debt due to covid, and health care is crumbling, many people are going to take it the wrong way if the Government allocates serious spending.

I think solving it with money, would cause division in Canada, because it's a never-ending cycle.  There's a never-ending list of shitty things that were done to First Nations, and so every time one comes to light, the only thing people seem to think up to solve it is talking about money?

I guess the question is, how do we keep First Nations communities from being isolated, and how do we help make them self sufficient?   I don't imagine having them be dependants of the Government, is going to solve problems either.

sigh... I guess deep down inside I believe it's a pretty big mess, that probably can't be solved.  
    edited July 2021
    for a start , you(the collective general you) should stop talking and start listening. THEY can tell you whats needed/wanted by their respective communities.

THEN do whats necessary to achieve the uncomfortable

believe truth and reconcilation commissions are warranted all across the Americas. Been succesful in many African countries on tribal and racial levels.  It can work with buy in of all parties.

to be sure there would be some of all sides that could never be satisfied.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

edited November 2023