Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oftenreading….no need to post any qualifications for me….you’ve been posting and helping the entire time and if he’s not kidding, well then meltdown sounds like a clown and you don’t owe him anything. 
    +1 
    Yeah, what they said. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Oftenreading….no need to post any qualifications for me….you’ve been posting and helping the entire time and if he’s not kidding, well then meltdown sounds like a clown and you don’t owe him anything. 

You mean this is not the excuse I have been dreaming of to flaunt my many medical degrees with honours from Stanford, Oxford, Harvard and the Karolinska Institute?? Damn! Back to being a nobody :lol: 

Thanks guys. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Even though things seem to be going in the right direction with the pandemic in North America, it's worth remembering that in a lot of the world things are still pretty dire.

Brazil just registered its largest single day new case count of 115,228 cases, which is a horrifying number. 

Israel is postponing their planned reopening to tourism, given rising case counts, and this despite them being one of the top countries in the world for vaccination rates. They are at 57% fully vaccinated, which still means 43% not fully vaccinated. For comparison, the US has 45% of the population fully vaccinated. 

Cases rising in Australia and spiraling out of control in Russia (both countries with very low vaccination rates). 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavirus-covid19-canada-world-june24-2021-1.6078206
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    yeah, this worries me. we really thought/hoped that we'd be back to somewhat normal this summer, then this fall, and I doubt even the latter now. our schools are planning on remote again in the fall FFS
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    yeah, this worries me. we really thought/hoped that we'd be back to somewhat normal this summer, then this fall, and I doubt even the latter now. our schools are planning on remote again in the fall FFS
    They’re planning that already? I’m surprised. In BC we’re planning on in person regular classrooms (as opposed to the reduced, alternating attendance that the high schools had this past year). A study came out yesterday that showed that in the Vancouver school distract at least cases did not rise above the general population and there was no evidence of increased transmission, so unless things change we are looking set for in person schooling. 
  • Options
    BC is several months ahead of Manitoba in terms of waves, so that's not surprising. we're at now where you were in the winter. so i'm hoping things change to in person, but if not, maybe by after xmas break?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    They’re planning that already? I’m surprised. In BC we’re planning on in person regular classrooms (as opposed to the reduced, alternating attendance that the high schools had this past year). A study came out yesterday that showed that in the Vancouver school distract at least cases did not rise above the general population and there was no evidence of increased transmission, so unless things change we are looking set for in person schooling. 
    Why is Canada so far behind in opening up?  Is it still the lack of vaccinated population?  

Here in the US it's like nothing happened and all is open for business.
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401

You mean this is not the excuse I have been dreaming of to flaunt my many medical degrees with honours from Stanford, Oxford, Harvard and the Karolinska Institute?? Damn! Back to being a nobody :lol: 

Thanks guys. 
    That’s awesome and congratulations!  Pretty fucking big deal your career is! I’ll listen to you anytime! 
  • Options

Thanks guys. 
    That’s awesome and congratulations!  Pretty fucking big deal your career is! I’ll listen to you anytime! 
    Oops! Should have posted the /s …. Was just joking 

Have not been to those institutes, but thank you for the vote of confidence ;) 
  • Options
    Why is Canada so far behind in opening up?  Is it still the lack of vaccinated population?  

We’re actually not that far behind now in vaccination. We’re ahead in first doses and getting there with second; will likely be ahead of the US in July. . Federal recommendations are quite a bit more cautious - our feds were asking for 75% first doses and at least 20% fully vaccinated before taking even small steps toward reopening. The provinces have control over education and they each do things differently. 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401

Thanks guys. 

Hahahaha well you sound like you went there! 
  • Options

Thanks guys. 

I tried to make it excessive but I’m just naturally convincing. 
  • Options

Thanks guys. 

If so it is like a million + in education?
  • Options

We’re actually not that far behind now in vaccination. We’re ahead in first doses and getting there with second; will likely be ahead of the US in July. . Federal recommendations are quite a bit more cautious - our feds were asking for 75% first doses and at least 20% fully vaccinated before taking even small steps toward reopening. The provinces have control over education and they each do things differently. 
    So the % is where Canada wants to be then.

Well, I guess we will see if it's an experiment to reopening here or it was worth it.  Hold our beer...
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    The delta  variant is responsible  for 99% of our growing  cases 
     Its doubling  very fast and we have a high level of vaccinated.  Shit won't  stop anytime soon. The  delta is very very fast moving
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475

Israel is postponing their planned reopening to tourism, given rising case counts, and this despite them being one of the top countries in the world for vaccination rates. They are at 57% fully vaccinated, which still means 43% not fully vaccinated. For comparison, the US has 45% of the population fully vaccinated. 

& some people wonder why there's resentment towards those who choose not to get vaccinated... 

It's going to be awesome in the States this fall when the virus starts surging again. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    edited June 2021
     Its doubling  very fast and we have a high level of vaccinated.  Shit won't  stop anytime soon. The  delta is very very fast moving
    It is interesting that if you look back to the end of April until now your deaths have not changed by a large margin with the cases going up. There is a lag of 2-3 weeks usually with cases spiking and the deaths following but we are not seeing it this time. It seems to me that the younger population who is unvaccinated and not listening to restrictions as much as the older population is fuelling this spike in cases hence lack of deaths.  

Point being the vaccines work against the delta. 
  • Options
    Our  old and vulnerable are vaccinated  so this makes sence.  
    Its just fucking annoying  to have to keep worrying  about my kids and still long covid is a major concern its not all about deaths 
     Our  hospitalised numbers  are going  up daily so i guess we are about to see what gives
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options

So the % is where Canada wants to be then.

Well, I guess we will see if it's an experiment to reopening here or it was worth it.  Hold our beer...
    Percent vaccinated and low case levels. 
  • Options

Thanks guys. 

Scholarships. 
  • Options

most of our elected leaders are following the science/recommendations from public health. as much as they can, economically speaking, anyway.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    Our  old and vulnerable are vaccinated  so this makes sence.  
    Its just fucking annoying  to have to keep worrying  about my kids and still long covid is a major concern its not all about deaths 
     Our  hospitalised numbers  are going  up daily so i guess we are about to see what gives
    For sure more than deaths matter but that is the most important stat imo and its nice to see no spikes yet in it. Also this is some good news and goes well with the fact vaccines are working thankfully. 

• Options
    Great news indeed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221

Thanks guys. 

Scholarships. 
    Stanford football scholarship
    Oxford soccer scholarship
    Harvard crew scholarship
    Karolinska Institute kubb scholarship

most impressive.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Poncier said:

Thanks guys. 

Scholarships. 
    Harvard crew scholarship

most impressive.

Damn, I was going to guess Interpretive Dance.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Thanks guys. 

Scholarships. 
    Harvard crew scholarship

most impressive.

Damn, I was going to guess Interpretive Dance.
    Frisbee golf and extreme chess. 
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    Watch this video and live your life...  It is going to be alright, I promise!

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Because Fat Emperor told us!?!?
    :lol:  

I thought we were done with these tweets. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    Because Fat Emperor told us!?!?
    :lol:  

I thought we were done with these tweets. 
    You're right.  Damn that FatEmperor and his graphs which show more Delta cases does not equal anything of note in the real world, hospitalizations, deaths, etc.  Let's go to our very own President to straighten things out.  Take it away, Joe!

So to be clear, he is saying more contagious equals deadlier.  Can someone point me to this data or help my small redneck mind understand this?  It would seem if it was deadlier, it would kill the host which would limit the spread.  But what do I know, I haven't been vaxed yet and never really wore a mask.  Just exercise and Vitamin D for my dumb, selfish ass.

Any of y'all waking up yet or nah?
This discussion has been closed.