Ohana Festival Update

Comments

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    PJNB said:
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7933944/canada-quarantine-hotel-program/?utm_source=GlobalNews&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2gKJ2GhORAPkJVBtVSR3PR6DvvTJCvQ_inkUiDPCQfxZaN741XhXcAejk

Looks like an announcement coming today on ease of restrictions for those that are full vaccinated flying back from the US. No more 14 day quarantining. Just the need to prove a negative test. Getting closer! 
    You can thank me for this as I am literally on day 11 of quarantine and figured they would announce it ending at about this time. Had to come back for Euro watching though!

As a frequent traveler, LOVE seeing it end.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    PJNB said:
    I see nothing that affects their ability to go forward. But note that proof of vaccination/ negative test is "recommended," so I think it's possible that Ohana will require it -- but I interpret this as leaving it to the organizers' discretion.
    Ya I saw that too and find that interesting. I will be double vaxxed so it is not a concern to me but tickets have been sold out for awhile now with no mention of needing the vaccine or neg test. On the other hand this band loves to play it safe and if that is what they recommend it makes sense for them to flip to that requirement. If they do flip there will be a lot of tickets for sale and a lot of money to be had for TM too raking it in on the fees. 

I hear you. But anyone who knows the band knows that, as you said, they like to "play it safe," so given that and over a year of pandemic life, I don't think people should be shocked if such an announcement were to be made (NOTE: I'm not saying this will happen!!! I have ZERO behind the scenes information!). On the third hand if you read the state's fine print, it basically would be an honor system, anyway, so a dishonest person could just say, oh yeah, I'm vaccinated. I'm not condoning that (and I've been fully vaccinated for a few months) -- but I would point out that those people are placing themselves, not me, at risk.

So I plan to be there, with a warm jacket and a screenshot of my CDC card. :-) And maybe some gloves,, too, if it doesn't warm up by September. =)

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    edited June 2021
    PJNB said:
    I see nothing that affects their ability to go forward. But note that proof of vaccination/ negative test is "recommended," so I think it's possible that Ohana will require it -- but I interpret this as leaving it to the organizers' discretion.
    Ya I saw that too and find that interesting. I will be double vaxxed so it is not a concern to me but tickets have been sold out for awhile now with no mention of needing the vaccine or neg test. On the other hand this band loves to play it safe and if that is what they recommend it makes sense for them to flip to that requirement. If they do flip there will be a lot of tickets for sale and a lot of money to be had for TM too raking it in on the fees. 

I hear you. But anyone who knows the band knows that, as you said, they like to "play it safe," so given that and over a year of pandemic life, I don't think people should be shocked if such an announcement were to be made (NOTE: I'm not saying this will happen!!! I have ZERO behind the scenes information!). On the third hand if you read the state's fine print, it basically would be an honor system, anyway, so a dishonest person could just say, oh yeah, I'm vaccinated. I'm not condoning that (and I've been fully vaccinated for a few months) -- but I would point out that those people are placing themselves, not me, at risk.

So I plan to be there, with a warm jacket and a screenshot of my CDC card. :-) And maybe some gloves,, too, if it doesn't warm up by September. =)

Warm jacket? I am from Canada and will be in shorts and a tank top! Appreciate the info and thanks. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Warm jacket? I am from Canada and will be in shorts and a tank top! 

LOL, okay. Just bear in mind that it's probably MUCH warmer where you are than it is here right now. YMMV -- I'm female, older, little body fat, and I'm at a point where I'm donning gloves when it's below 70. But if you've never been out here, take a few minutes to learn about "microclimates" --- it will be ten degrees cooler at the beach than it is just a few miles (think 5K) inland. We've been topping out at 65 degrees for a while now -- they're teasing us with promises of highs in the 70s next week. That's awesome in January, but it kind of sucks in June, TBH.

I've seen people wearing everything from shorts and tank tops to down jackets at Ohana (makes it easy to find the locals, LOL). We've gone every year, and the first year, even though we were just moving to San Diego at the time, I was VERY grateful for the vendor selling wool ponchos; I would have had to leave well before Ed's set, otherwise.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Does anyone know if you can pick up Sundays wristbands on Friday at willcall? 
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    PJNB said:
    Might not be relevant to you, but just be careful about those reselling outside official channels. Lots of fake tickets being sold for Ohana given the limited shows this year.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    PJNB said:
    yes you can
    PJNB said:
    yes you can
    Cool thanks for the info!

edited June 2021
    I will admit I barely know any MMJ songs and tried to get into them last night listening to a top 10 style studio song list. I just could not enjoy it for some reason and came out of it fairly dissapointed. I tried again today from a recommendation of a friend to listen to a live show and what an improvement for me!  These guys put on a hell of a show. My wife and I are going to continue to listen to them and KOL to get familiar with their catalogues. Pretty damn excited now for all 3 nights!
    PJNB said:
    I will admit I barely know any MMJ songs and tried to get into them last night listening to a top 10 style studio song list. I just could not enjoy it for some reason and came out of it fairly dissapointed. I tried again today from a recommendation of a friend to listen to a live show and what an improvement for me!  These guys put on a hell of a show. My wife and I are going to continue to listen to them and KOL to get familiar with their catalogues. Pretty damn excited now for all 3 nights!
    yup, live is where its at with mmj, you will enjoy their show
    edited June 2021
    seeing a pop up when you search ohana tickets on ticketmaster talking full vaccination or negative test. first time i saw that. 
    Post edited by rustneversleeps on
    edited June 2021
    seeing a pop up when you search ohana tickets on ticketmaster talking full vaccination or negative test. first time i saw that. 

Nice find. Just as @curmudgeoness was saying too. Curious how they are going to implement this though. Check at the gate then what? I get they need to do what the current guidelines are but once you are in....

Also it says current guidelines which tells me even though the current one is dated until October this can change. 

Looking good for borders by September! 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    PJNB said:

Nice find. Just as @curmudgeoness was saying too. Curious how they are going to implement this though. Check at the gate then what? I get they need to do what the current guidelines are but once you are in....

Also it says current guidelines which tells me even though the current one is dated until October this can change. 
    I could see a wristband system, just like a proof of drinking age wristband.  If you show proof of vax or negative test, you get a certain wristband.  If not, you don’t and are supposed to mask up.  Enforcement will never be perfect and there’s still the issue of expecting a security guard to determine fakes, but nonetheless they could have a system like this and there could also be security that looks for people with neither wristband nor mask.  Once it’s a sea of people for the headline show in the dark that will no longer be possible of course.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    PJNB said:

I could see a wristband system, just like a proof of drinking age wristband.  If you show proof of vax or negative test, you get a certain wristband.  If not, you don’t and are supposed to mask up.  Enforcement will never be perfect and there’s still the issue of expecting a security guard to determine fakes, but nonetheless they could have a system like this and there could also be security that looks for people with neither wristband nor mask.  Once it’s a sea of people for the headline show in the dark that will no longer be possible of course.  
    wristband was my initial thought as well
    also shouldn't they be communicating that to everyone currently holding tickets?  ohana site says they will update ticket holders directly as well as on social media if any policy changes take place.  would think an email would be coming from them saying as of now vax/negative test required.  
    I'm not a lawyer, but if you parse the language of the note, it sounds more like a CYA statement than anything. Nothing says that you will be required to provide proof of vaccination/ negative test -- you are being asked to abide by the honor system.

I'm also not a doctor. That said: Unless you are an immunocompromised person (think organ transplant recipient, or on chemo), if you are vaccinated against COVID then maskless/ unvaccinated people pose very little risk to you; the risk is all theirs.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Long shot, I know….

I have a buddy that’s looking for a ticket for Sunday or a 3-day pass. He has single day tix to Friday & Saturday. If anyone has a spare, please let me know. We’re also watching the Fan Exchange site hoping to score one at a decent price.

Thanks,
    Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I'm not a lawyer, but if you parse the language of the note, it sounds more like a CYA statement than anything. Nothing says that you will be required to provide proof of vaccination/ negative test -- you are being asked to abide by the honor system.

I'm also not a doctor. That said: Unless you are an immunocompromised person (think organ transplant recipient, or on chemo), if you are vaccinated against COVID then maskless/ unvaccinated people pose very little risk to you; the risk is all theirs.
    it specifically says the event organizer is "requiring"....  and this "requirement" will apply to all before allowed entry.  whatever that means. 
    edited June 2021

it specifically says the event organizer is "requiring"....  and this "requirement" will apply to all before allowed entry.  whatever that means. 

Yes, it is *requiring* attendees to agree to confirm that they will be vaccinated and/or have a negative test result and/or wear a mask. That's not the same as requiring people to present their vaccination cards at the entry. If you look at what the state is saying, they're trying to sidestep legal battles with anti-vaxxers while encouraging pro-social behavior. This notice does the same thing: it says, we'd *really* like you to show up vaccinated, and if you aren't, we expect you to wear a mask.

It's an honor system. There's an implicit acknowledgement that if you disregard expectations and get sick, that's on you -- you know, "you're an adult; act like one."  But there's not an explicit waiver of liability as I hear Japan is doing for the Olympics.

Edit to add: I don't see how they could check vaccination/ testing status at the gates. That would be a complete cluster. Perhaps uploading proof of vaccination prior to the mailing date for wristbands could be required, but arguing with thousands of people at the entry? That's not going to happen.
    Post edited by curmudgeoness on

Yes, it is *requiring* attendees to agree to confirm that they will be vaccinated and/or have a negative test result and/or wear a mask. That's not the same as requiring people to present their vaccination cards at the entry. If you look at what the state is saying, they're trying to sidestep legal battles with anti-vaxxers while encouraging pro-social behavior. This notice does the same thing: it says, we'd *really* like you to show up vaccinated, and if you aren't, we expect you to wear a mask.

It's an honor system. There's an implicit acknowledgement that if you disregard expectations and get sick, that's on you -- you know, "you're an adult; act like one."  But there's not an explicit waiver of liability as I hear Japan is doing for the Olympics.

Edit to add: I don't see how they could check vaccination/ testing status at the gates. That would be a complete cluster. Perhaps uploading proof of vaccination prior to the mailing date for wristbands could be required, but arguing with thousands of people at the entry? That's not going to happen.
    what do you make of "this requirement will apply to all members of your party before they are allowed to enter the event"

are these other shows popping up using some kind of verification system, or is it all a CYA?  anyone know?  these foo fighters shows for example, are they actually checking? if ohana was going to check somehow, i dont think the communication will come from ticketmaster, the details will come from ohana.  so i dont expect that ticketmaster pop up to have all the detail, just a warning saying the organizers want vax/negative test....  then the organizer should be relaying and new details.  
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    If you haven't booked your flights yet Southwest is doing a 50% off fare deal today. I just rebooked 2 trips at lower prices and moved up to Business Select in both. Saved just over $450 for my 2 Ohana flights which I then applied to another trip.

You can do it all on the Southwest app/website.
    If you haven't booked your flights yet Southwest is doing a 50% off fare deal today. I just rebooked 2 trips at lower prices and moved up to Business Select in both. Saved just over $450 for my 2 Ohana flights which I then applied to another trip.

Nice heads up! 
    thanks bentleyspop
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,541
    PJNB said:

Nice heads up! 
    x2, thank you!  Even beat out the points guy with the info
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 718
    PJNB said:

There might be a hand stamp for those who will be required to wear a mask, or... a bright orange/yellow wristband. But yes, there will be those kind of people who will not wear a mask regardless. 
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817

I'm guessing I'd have to cancel my current flights, then re book? Always makes me nervous that they may no longer be available
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,541
    pjpitt89 said:

I'm guessing I'd have to cancel my current flights, then re book? Always makes me nervous that they may no longer be available

Unfortunately I couldnt figure out how to just change the current booking, but I booked the new flights first, then went and canceled the ones I originally had booked
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    pjpitt89 said:

Its real easy to do via the app.
    It will show if seats are sold out or limited.
    Took me all of 5 or 6 minutes this morning.
  • DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 235
    Thanks for the heads up. Just rebooked and saved my wife and I over 6000 in points each.