Options

Ohana Festival Update

Comments

• Options
    Is there any thinking that the decision to forge on will come down to a division between the musical "haves" and "have-not's"?  Bands that can afford (personally) to forego touring for now (another year?) will respond like Neil Young and Trent Reznor.  They will operate with "an abundance of caution" while younger, less established bands will make the decision to stop touring only if they are forced to.  At this point, with the way the music industry is relying less on sales and more on gate receipts + merch, there is a chance that we are going to see a void of young bands who just couldn't get by.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    plenty of truth to that.  smaller bands and pretty much all venues need to move forward or find another job.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    MelzombieMelzombie Charleston, SC Posts: 200
    edited August 2021
    Fuck.  This hurts (no pun intended).

absolutely gutted. It's 2020 all over again. I hope Pearl Jam doesn't pull out for this year. 
    Luckily my flight was booked through Southwest and they are allowing flight credit for canceled flights. 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    Melzombie said:
    Fuck.  This hurts (no pun intended).

absolutely gutted. It's 2020 all over again. I hope Pearl Jam doesn't pull out for this year. 
    Luckily my flight was booked through Southwest and they are allowing flight credit for canceled flights. 
    Yeah, for NIN we were only doing Riot Fest so no travel, but if Ohana is scratched, we have a flight (AA), a rental car and a 10-day AirBNB that we'll have to battle with.  But most of all, the disappointment of losing the shows will really hurt.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the PJ shows are outdoors. I can't imagine they'll be cancelled. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    All the NIN shows were outdoors (CLE x2 and a bunch of festivals).

Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740

Cleveland has a roof but ya still mostly considered outdoors with the sides wide open. 

I find these cancelations so odd. We get all of this positive news that vax/neg test only shows are happening safely and bands are still pulling out. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

wow. ok. didn't know that.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited August 2021
    PJNB said:

Cleveland has a roof but ya still mostly considered outdoors with the sides wide open. 

I find these cancelations so odd. We get all of this positive news that vax/neg test only shows are happening safely and bands are still pulling out. 
    I blame the anti-vaxxers and those who whine about masks. Is it really that hard to wear a fucking mask to protect yourself and your neighbor?! If I asked you (not you specifically @PJNB ) right now “would you wear a mask if it meant you could see Pearl Jam tonight?” would you even hesitate to say “fuck yeah”? If you’d refuse, then just stay home and let the adults enjoy life. Fuck!
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488
    Is there any thinking that the decision to forge on will come down to a division between the musical "haves" and "have-not's"?  Bands that can afford (personally) to forego touring for now (another year?) will respond like Neil Young and Trent Reznor.  They will operate with "an abundance of caution" while younger, less established bands will make the decision to stop touring only if they are forced to.  At this point, with the way the music industry is relying less on sales and more on gate receipts + merch, there is a chance that we are going to see a void of young bands who just couldn't get by.
    I read an interview with Jason Isbell that talked about it. He said that the Stevie Nicks' of the entertainment world can cancel because they have the money to fall back on. Smaller acts such him don't have that luxury. I have tickets to 3 concerts this Fall: Son Volt, Drive By Truckers and Bob Mould. I would consider all of them smaller acts that rely on touring revenue, (maybe not Bob so much) so it will be interesting to see what they do with their shows.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    PJNB said:

I blame the anti-vaxxers and those who whine about masks. Is it really that hard to wear a fucking mask to protect yourself and your neighbor?! If I asked you (not you specifically @PJNB ) right now “would you wear a mask if it meant you could see Pearl Jam tonight?” would you even hesitate to say “fuck yeah”? If you’d refuse, then just stay home and let the adults enjoy life. Fuck!
    To each, their own.  If I'm required to wear a mask at an outdoor show, on top of being vaxed, then I'd easily bow out. 

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Kiss tour starts today, Megadeth tour starts tomorrow.. Guns n Roses and Phish have been touring...
    I thought the NIN shows were safe because it was outdoors and it wasn't an entire tour... just one off's of like 3-4 different cities. 
    I was wrong :( They should've just said no vaccinations, you can't attend.. I guess they didn't want to go that route. 
    Post edited by Melzombie on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    I read an interview with Jason Isbell that talked about it. He said that the Stevie Nicks' of the entertainment world can cancel because they have the money to fall back on. Smaller acts such him don't have that luxury. I have tickets to 3 concerts this Fall: Son Volt, Drive By Truckers and Bob Mould. I would consider all of them smaller acts that rely on touring revenue, (maybe not Bob so much) so it will be interesting to see what they do with their shows.
    Meanwhile these two just announced an indoor Fall tour. 

https://www.jambase.com/article/james-taylor-jackson-browne-tour-dates-fall-2021?fbclid=IwAR3ig0i32F2kdf_izQxlgbwaX4YJMfvK7m_f0xdLfHiQIzExwmk1LVMcXY4

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    PJNB said:

To each, their own.  If I'm required to wear a mask at an outdoor show, on top of being vaxed, then I'd easily bow out. 

Why bow out?  I am vaccinated and I just attended the Hella Mega show in Boston. I wore a KN95 mask the whole time.  It was amazing to see live music again and neither the mask or the vaccine took away from the experience.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    edited October 2023
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    I'm a huge DBT fan too.  I know Patterson said they were struggling to keep things together last year.  That's a band that sells 1,000+ tickets in most places.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    For me if I have to mask up (never be enforced in a GA pit the size of these fests) I would do it for these shows but absolutely understand those that would not. Financially we have so much invested in this trip that we would not be able to recoup a lot of it back and masking up while annoying is something we would do rather than pass on the shows. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    There is NOTHING that Pearl Jam could ask of me on the basis of fan safety that I would refuse to do at a show.  They have earned that credibility and trust and the shows are THAT important to me.  Everything isn't a conspiracy against you to come take your precious guns and let your neighbor marry his dog.
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    tish said:
    bb you have 6K plus posts but would skip the show if they'd require a mask ????????????
    He's just that committed
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    ^^ That. (23 redeemed).
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    for the Nine Inch Nail situation.. I wonder if some of it has to do with the vaccination/testing the festivals are requiring. I would hate to think Trent Reznor is an anti-vaxxer or maybe a bunch of the crew is? 
    I don't know.. I could be wrong, but it could be one of the reasons why. 
    Post edited by Melzombie on
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,929
    PJNB said:
    For me if I have to mask up (never be enforced in a GA pit the size of these fests) I would do it for these shows but absolutely understand those that would not. Financially we have so much invested in this trip that we would not be able to recoup a lot of  back and masking up while annoying is something we would do rather than pass on the shows. 
    I think it comes down to personal choice, just like getting vaxed. For me personally, there are a few things (concerts happen to be included) that I'm just not willing to wear a mask for, especially in an outdoor setting. 

Everyone will have a different personal opinion, and what they are willing to risk. None of which are wrong, as long as you can live with the choice. I'm vaxed, and hoping these shows go on, and no one will have to make hard personal choices.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Meanwhile these two just announced an indoor Fall tour. 

https://www.jambase.com/article/james-taylor-jackson-browne-tour-dates-fall-2021?fbclid=IwAR3ig0i32F2kdf_izQxlgbwaX4YJMfvK7m_f0xdLfHiQIzExwmk1LVMcXY4
    The only consistent thing is the inconsistency. I honestly have no idea.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    I'm not anti-mask.  Not in the slightest.  So if any of the comments above are suggesting that, please think again.  That said, yes, I would skip an OUTDOOR festival show that required me to wear a mask.  There is no proven science or logic behind it and for me personally it would take away from the experience. 

• Options
    PJNB said:
    For me if I have to mask up (never be enforced in a GA pit the size of these fests) I would do it for these shows but absolutely understand those that would not. Financially we have so much invested in this trip that we would not be able to recoup a lot of  back and masking up while annoying is something we would do rather than pass on the shows. 
    I think it comes down to personal choice, just like getting vaxed. For me personally, there are a few things (concerts happen to be included) that I'm just not willing to wear a mask for, especially in an outdoor setting. 

Everyone will have a different personal opinion, and what they are willing to risk. None of which are wrong, as long as you can live with the choice. I'm vaxed, and hoping these shows go on, and no one will have to make hard personal choices.
    I don't want to wear a mask to an outdoor concert but you can bet your ass I will if the artist requests it.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    You guys ever hear the "I'd stand in the corner on my head and spit nickels" line?  I suppose guitars are fewer and farther between where I'm at. And it's GIGATON!
  • Options
    PJNB said:

I don't want to wear a mask to an outdoor concert but you can bet your ass I will if the artist requests it.
    We brought our masks to the outdoor Black Crowes concert a couple of weeks ago with the idea that we would wear them if we were packed in tight with people, but our section of the seats wasn't too full, so we didn't wear them. And if they had requested it to attend, we would have worn them.
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,929
    PJNB said:

100% don't blame you. I wear my mask everywhere I am required to, and have no problem with it. For some reason, I just can't get past wearing it to a concert. At the end of the day, my wife will talk me into it and i'll be there. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:

We brought our masks to the outdoor Black Crowes concert a couple of weeks ago with the idea that we would wear them if we were packed in tight with people, but our section of the seats wasn't too full, so we didn't wear them. And if they had requested it to attend, we would have worn them.
    Same.  Our first big concert was Foo Fighters in Milwaukee (amphitheater) on 7/30.  We stood at the back of the pit and wore our masks the whole time.  No big deal cuz, you know, we're adults.  Minimal masks around us, but it seemed like 75% of people were happy to smoke vape juice into their lungs.  I'm sure they've done THAT research and know the toxic chemicals they're inhaling.

• Options
    PJNB said:

Yeah I think outdoor concerts are good.  I can understand requiring vac cards and negative tests.  With those in place there isn't any reason to cancel.  We either have taken the responsibility of getting vaccinated or we are willing to take the risk.  The risk being much lower since most of the people will be vaccinated.