PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Yep, definitely don't agree.

Less guns = less murder absolutely. But if only it was that easy. I'd love to magic wand and have every gun in the world poof disappear. But this is reality and not Disneyland. I also know gun laws disproportionately affect black and brown neighborhoods, same with incarceration. I wish it were literally black and white on legislation, but again nothing actually is.

So as much as it may seem a conversation of "I can't square my thoughts on gun reform with overall social program reform/incarceration/etc", I totally can.
    Think I'm with Cliffy here. Every time someone gets shot with an illegally owned gun it's fodder for the gun lobby. "Why bother having any gun laws if these librels aren't gonna enforce 'em?"
    Well cause that's also bullshit. Some dummies like to go "BUT WHAT ABOUT CHICAGO?". And the majority of illegally possessed firearms are purchased in Indiana/Wisconsin/outside of the city. Chicago is super strict on gun possession and has a high gun violence rate, so is it working there? But it's fun for the non-city politicians to puppet ideas regarding places they don't live for their own gain.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Think I'm with Cliffy here. Every time someone gets shot with an illegally owned gun it's fodder for the gun lobby. "Why bother having any gun laws if these librels aren't gonna enforce 'em?"
    Well cause that's also bullshit. Some dummies like to go "BUT WHAT ABOUT CHICAGO?". And the majority of illegally possessed firearms are purchased in Indiana/Wisconsin/outside of the city. Chicago is super strict on gun possession and has a high gun violence rate, so is it working there? But it's fun for the non-city politicians to puppet ideas regarding places they don't live for their own gain.
    Yeah I hear ya - totally get that. They are in some ways opposing goals to reform the justice system and cut down gun violence - I understand it's complicated.

We're gonna get the thread closed - how 'bout them cheesesteaks!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    There is certainly nuance to all of it and I don't disagree with that middle paragraph at all.  I'd argue strongly that reducing murders in black and brown neighborhoods, by throwing people in jail or not, is doing a lot more for those neighborhoods than the alternative.  Violence begets violence.

And of course, social reforms in general are far past due. The education system in his city is a joke and I don't know how you can expect anything of someone if you don't give them the tools to succeed. And I agree that one shouldn't happen without the other, but here we are.

That said, allowing guns to be on the street is completely unacceptable to me.

We can go round and round on this, so I'll likely bow out
    Very complicated. But hey I enjoy this kind of convo - not a fight here, I love this shit and could go on and on. I appreciate and respect what others have to say. But for the sake of everyone else I'll stop. I just don't do it in AMT anymore 'cause fuck that place. These are my peoples, and I enjoy it very much.

Yeah, man. Obviously no fight or hard feelings. Very civil for a complicated topic, if I say so myself. I can just see us repeating the same thing over and over and over and over.  
    Very complicated. But hey I enjoy this kind of convo - not a fight here, I love this shit and could go on and on. I appreciate and respect what others have to say. But for the sake of everyone else I'll stop. I just don't do it in AMT anymore 'cause fuck that place. These are my peoples, and I enjoy it very much.

I peaked in that there AMT and you still got your trolls. The worst. Can't be wasting my time & energy on that. Delco Dems - we're out here getting RESULTS.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    You are correct. But I'll say this much - perceptions are bullshit. There's good people trying to do good things in this city. I don't like the label "liberal", I can tolerate the label "progressive" because my view on anything is "if it doesn't work, stop doing it. do something else. change is hard."  And I will TOTALLY accept the label of communist ;) .

So yeah, @Johnny Abruzzo, I'm voting for Krasner because there's no way I'm voting for Vega. I will be knocking on doors for Larry more out of motivation of making sure Vega doesn't win. At the end of the day I think Larry wins, but wouldn't be shocked if he loses.

Phils are losing.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited May 2021

It is tough not to get trapped by some of the conversations there.  "If we were having a beer we would get along fine" is my favorite throw away line from AMT.
    Ummmm, not if you say out loud what you just typed, homie.  Beer + my listening to that shit does not improve how things go down.
    Quite.
    The.
    Opposite.

:lol:

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

It is tough not to get trapped by some of the conversations there.  "If we were having a beer we would get along fine" is my favorite throw away line from AMT.
    Ummmm, not if you say out loud why you just typed, homie.  Beer + my listening to that shit does not improve how things go down.
    Quite.
    The.
    Opposite.

Haha, very much so. If anything it helps me know who to avoid if I were ever to meet them in person. It just reminds me that Pearl Jam is a very, very popular band with a very large, aging fanbase - and meeting one of them could mean possibly mean meeting a complete piece of shit.  =)
    So yeah, @Johnny Abruzzo, I'm voting for Krasner because there's no way I'm voting for Vega. I will be knocking on doors for Larry more out of motivation of making sure Vega doesn't win. At the end of the day I think Larry wins, but wouldn't be shocked if he loses.

Phils are losing.

I'd vote for Krasner if I still lived there - same reasons as you. Happy to be called a progressive but fuck communism. We don't need the government making hamburgers or whatever. Capitalism is awesome if we have half decent oversight on it.

At least Phils won the series.

F Me In The Brain said:

Ummmm, not if you say out loud what you just typed, homie.  Beer + my listening to that shit does not improve how things go down.
    Quite.
    The.
    Opposite.

Exactly - hearing that crap in person is infuriating and it's tough not to get into a fist fight.

On a side note, I kept the fat south Philly week going yesterday with this bad boy from pastifico 

Damn it's really time for an Italian hoagie. Maybe on my way back from vaccination Saturday I'll pick one up.

Aw, man, fuck it, I'm ordering some Pastificio's now. Thanks, Cliff (this is both a genuine thanks and derision at the same time).
    Also that needs to go in the cheesesteak/hoagie thread.
    I think Saturday is a good day for the kids' first bona fide cheesesteaks. What do you think - American or Provy? (anyone who says orange fake plastic cheese is dead to me)

1) Where are you going?
    2) American
    3) If it was 3am I'd say Heart Attack of American, Whiz, Prov.
    I think Bria & Lotella's right near my house. They will probably like American.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    On a side note, I kept the fat south Philly week going yesterday with this bad boy from pastifico 

Cliff I thought you didn't like the hard rolls? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

That looks great though. Hoagie Night at The Juggler Homestead this evening as well!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited May 2021
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/106818/so-really-best-cheese-steak-in-philly-is/p23

You've been gone a while so not sure you've checked this thread out yet. 

Edit---never mind. Just checked and you're all over that one. lol

Cooper Sharp American. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

Cliff I thought you didn't like the hard rolls? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

That looks great though. Hoagie Night at The Juggler Homestead this evening as well!
    That's me...don't love them but that was damn good and I was in the mood.
    Roll needs to be hard and crunch on the outside, super soft on the inside. Sure looks like a Sarcone of that sort.
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/106818/so-really-best-cheese-steak-in-philly-is/p23

You've been gone a while so not sure you've checked this thread out yet. 

Edit---never mind. Just checked and you're all over that one. lol

Cooper Sharp American. 
    Like I never left.  =)  You can really tell I'm working on a mundane task today.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Roll needs to be hard and crunch on the outside, super soft on the inside. Sure looks like a Sarcone of that sort.

The wife and I have this discussion --- I am with you, she is with Cliffy.

Yeah my wife prefers fraud rolls too.
    chinese-happy.jpg

Yeah my wife prefers fraud rolls too.

Leave them out overnight and then they are good - lol.
    Sarcone's bread is the best I've ever had and I've been all over Italy.

I figured you might have....although a certain region in eastern Italy especially.  ;)
    I figured you might have....although a certain region in eastern Italy especially.  ;)
    Yes to see the relatives but I want to explore the region more. 😀

Getting very close to letting all hang out. Cheers people.

This gives me irrational pent up joy: