Your Record Storage, Whatcha got going?

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    edited April 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    Is the hack that the pool noodle is being held by pressure and not glued?
    The ones I saw online just have them wedged in there. I wonder if double sided tape will stick to a pool noodle?
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited April 2021
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Is the hack that the pool noodle is being held by pressure and not glued?
    Yes. @MedozK suggested it in this thread.

Also, you can cut a pool noodle with a kitchen knife or scissors (i.e., you don't need a saw), so that might make it easier.

I'm still using Liquid Nails to fix all the molding the electricians cut while rewiring the knob and tube to be up to code. Maybe three more years, and I'll finish that job. :lol:
    Yea, mine are just wedged in. Work great for me, and it's cheap and takes no time.
    I put together and loaded my Kallax today. I could only find purple pool noodles for now 🤣 I might try to locate some black ones but for $1 each I can’t be too choosy. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Wow. That's nice^^. I dug through my records and moved em around. Mine are hidden in an enclosed cabinet. How many does each cube hold approx? Looks like 60ish.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Loujoe said:
    Wow. That's nice^^. I dug through my records and moved em around. Mine are hidden in an enclosed cabinet. How many does each cube hold approx? Looks like 60ish.
    Way more. You can get 30 to 40 in each cubby  X 8 cubbies.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    mrussel1 said:
    Loujoe said:
    read it again matt.

yes loujoe, 50-60 titles maybe less if its newer reissues that double the vinyl.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Loujoe said:
    Right around there. Some are double LPs and bigger packaging. 
    Fun stuff. Sort by alphabetical or by types?
    I started sliding mine in tote bags and try to keep them by types or bands. Then I can take them all out at once. Maybe a little more protection too. 
    I read somewhere about hinged box sets. If the box might get damaged from use, to store the box away from lps to keep it mint.
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Loujoe said:
    read it again matt.

yes loujoe, 50-60 titles maybe less if its newer reissues that double the vinyl.

I see. 60 seems like a lot then.  Are those just old school 70s singles?
    Loujoe said:
    I started sliding mine in tote bags and try to keep them by types or bands. Then I can take them all out at once. Maybe a little more protection too. 
    I read somewhere about hinged box sets. If the box might get damaged from use, to store the box away from lps to keep it mint.
    Alphabetical. It seems easier to pin point the record I am looking for. 
    Smart to do alpha. A lot of times I can't find stuff easily. 
    Enjoy. It looks great!
    edited April 2021
    Loujoe said:
    Smart to do alpha. A lot of times I can't find stuff easily. 
    Enjoy. It looks great!
    Thanks. It is nice to finally have them out of crates and off of the floor. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Loujoe said:
    read it again matt.

look at his picture. has either bought quite a bit used or been lugging around forever.

personally I am digging the digging. its a surprise everytime.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Loujoe said:
    read it again matt.

look at his picture. has either bought quite a bit used or been lugging around forever.

I do have quite a few that I picked up used. Most of those are late 70’s and early 80’s. Also a friend of mine has a father in law that had a bunch of old records in a storage closet that they were going to throw away.  He let me go through them and pick out what I wanted. I probably ended up with 25-30 records from that. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Alphabetized for life.

I think there’s too much stuff that crosses genres that it would confuse me. So pretty much anything that isn’t a VA comp/soundtrack/VGM or a Numero (they look so good next to each other) release gets grouped together. 
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Loujoe said:
    read it again matt.

I do have quite a few that I picked up used. Most of those are late 70’s and early 80’s. Also a friend of mine has a father in law that had a bunch of old records in a storage closet that they were going to throw away.  He let me go through them and pick out what I wanted. I probably ended up with 25-30 records from that. 
    Nice!!! My bud was moving. She said she had some records...I went over and she hooked me up with a couple. As I was leaving I walked past the dumpster and saw minor threat (out of step)and a led zep on top of the pile. I turned around. Do you mind if I go in there. Go ahead...her son had a pretty killer collection, all got rained on, but I saved a bunch, sold most to a store and gave him the cash, only 20 bucks but was more happy they didn't get thrown out.  I understand it's hard to cart these around, but I hope at least my stuff gets donated somewhere.
    Always tell people you collect records...it helped my collection grow. For free...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited April 2021
    Loujoe said:
    I do alphabetical, but separate out my pearl jam and related.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031

Nothing special but it does the trick. All alphabetical 
    ^^^looks great! My bud has a ton of great records and his kitty cats used some as scratching posts. Can't blame the cats. But I'd be irked! Lots of my older record spines are split from years of misuse anyway. Just glad I still have them!
    Loujoe said:
    ^^^looks great! My bud has a ton of great records and his kitty cats used some as scratching posts. Can't blame the cats. But I'd be irked! Lots of my older record spines are split from years of misuse anyway. Just glad I still have them!
    This is why I keep the records between the record sleeve and outer poly sleeve. 
    Good idea. I'm much kinder to my lps now.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Kallax and shelving on the built-in entertainment unit.  I’m going to need some other solutions soon. 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited April 2021
    Loujoe said:
    😂 My cat likes to chew on plastic. She seems to leave my record sleeve protectors alone for the most part. She has a blast when I’m tearing the plastic off new records. Just goes to town. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    My last cat was more prone to going after the plastic sleeves.  Most of the records are fine.   There are a few claw marks on the PJ Ten and VS/Vitalogy boxsets.   A little reminder of the cat.  The new cats seem better.  When they were first learning to jump they didn't quite always make it to the top of the kallax.. now they can clear it easily and leave the records alone.
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2021

Downstairs 
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2021

Main floor
    Looks good. 

Still mad my Spawn PJ poster got water damage when my basement flooded a few years ago. 
    Ordering another 2x4 Kallax this summer because I’m out of room. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Ordering another 2x4 Kallax this summer because I’m out of room. 

I was in the same boat.  I pretty much filled up my 4x4, and just bought a 4x2.   It basically took me 19 years to fill 8 cubes, but then only 6 more years to fill up the next 8.   I did a lot of filling the last 6 months, so I figure it may not be quite as fast to fill up the new 8 cubes I bought.  Hopefully a while :)
    Last time I bought a 2x4 was 3 years ago. I may have a problem