Options

Your Record Storage, Whatcha got going?

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    Last time I bought a 2x4 was 3 years ago. I may have a problem 
    I have to get rid of a piano and bring down a 2x4 I have in storage, and also build four more flip bins this summer to sit on top of the 2x4.  I also have a problem. 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I have a 4x4, four 2x2s and one 1x4. All almost full, running out of room. I am to the point now where I have to be VERY selective of that I buy.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    MedozK said:
    I have a 4x4, four 2x2s and one 1x4. All almost full, running out of room. I am to the point now where I have to be VERY selective of that I buy.

hahahhahahaha..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,822
    I have "foremost storage cubes" that I had picked up off Amazon over the last 6+ years or so. I have a total of 10 and they're near full so I checked Amazon and they no longer sell them. They sell these "way basics" cubes that look similar but have horrible ratings.

I love the cubes I have, and they looks quite similar to these Ikea ones you all seem to like. My foremost cubes have a back to them however, so that'll be different, but I'll probably be looking at them shortly. Thanks to all
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 914
    Kallac 4x3 and then two 2x2 under the stairs to the left. I'm totally running out of space.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    MedozK said:

I have one 4x4 that's very close to full and one cube's worth of my wife's small LP collection and Christmas records.  I have vowed to cull one record for every one I buy and keep my collection at it's present size.  So far, that hasn't gone too well.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rw160510 said:
    Kallac 4x3 and then two 2x2 under the stairs to the left. I'm totally running out of space.

Some speaker stands would buy you some space (or maybe place them on top?)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    rw160510 said:

Yeah, I think on top is the way to go as there isn't much space to start adding additional furniture to the floor plan. Maybe a shelf above the TV or just hang the TV on the wall. I'm hesitant because that means I'll have to find home for my amazing yet totally redundant garfield landline that only gets scam calls nowadays. I just can't bring myself to unplug it.
  • Options
    rw160510 said:
    brianlux said:
    rw160510 said:

Yeah, I think on top is the way to go as there isn't much space to start adding additional furniture to the floor plan. Maybe a shelf above the TV or just hang the TV on the wall. I'm hesitant because that means I'll have to find home for my amazing yet totally redundant garfield landline that only gets scam calls nowadays. I just can't bring myself to unplug it.

A Garfield phone!  Nice! Yeah, I can see not wanting to take that out. 
    Finding enough space is always tough.  I got frustrated one day when I used to work with my wife at her bookstore because the storage area out back was always crowded and desperate for space.  There was one small place that had a bit more room than any other place so I put a sign on the floor that read, "Space: The final frontier".  That didn't go over too well, haha!

• Options
    rw160510 said:
    brianlux said:
    rw160510 said:

able to wall mount the speakers?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    rw160510 said:
    brianlux said:
    rw160510 said:

able to wall mount the speakers?

That's a good shout. When I fill the last slot that has the orange box in it I'll have a look.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    curious, finally getting around to sorting my shit. Am faced with a cataloging decision, do I do alphabetical all the way regardless of music type or seperate it out between rock A-Z , Jazz A-Z section, soundtracks, comedy A-Z etc.....?

What do you all do?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    mickeyrat said:
    curious, finally getting around to sorting my shit. Am faced with a cataloging decision, do I do alphabetical all the way regardless of music type or seperate it out between rock A-Z , Jazz A-Z section, soundtracks, comedy A-Z etc.....?

What do you all do?
    This is what I went with now. I had them alphabetized, then decided I wanted genre. You can do it however you want and he’ll do it up. For example,  I did ( Hip-Hop/Pop, Rock/Alt, Soundtrack, Electronic, Classic Rock, Country)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/591078618/vinyl-record-dividers-o-classic-tab-a-la?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=record+dividers&ref=sc_gallery-1-2&plkey=2ab0461b9c78cee17ce4b38ee4931881e1fed0fc%3A591078618

1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    mickeyrat said:

What do you all do?
    This is what I went with now. I had them alphabetized, then decided I wanted genre. You can do it however you want and he’ll do it up. For example,  I did ( Hip-Hop/Pop, Rock/Alt, Soundtrack, Electronic, Classic Rock, Country)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/591078618/vinyl-record-dividers-o-classic-tab-a-la?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=record+dividers&ref=sc_gallery-1-2&plkey=2ab0461b9c78cee17ce4b38ee4931881e1fed0fc%3A591078618

Decided all rock(includes Ray and Willy) (PJ separate from all ) with all box set separate, Jazz(possibly mixing blues in there) Comedy, Soundtracks/ oddball shit.

Rock alone is 8 cubes, box sets 2 cubes, Jazz/Blues will be 1 cube, and Comedy/soundtracks will be a partial, leaving me with 6  empty cubes to fill......

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880
    By type of music/alpha'ish'. Sometimes have a hard time finding stuff. Thought maybe I got rid of a jefferson airplane lp but looked by my pink floyd section and it was there! I don't have a massive collection. Maybe 4 to 500.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    By type of music/alpha'ish'. Sometimes have a hard time finding stuff. Thought maybe I got rid of a jefferson airplane lp but looked by my pink floyd section and it was there! I don't have a massive collection. Maybe 4 to 500.
    just cracked 500 myself. or rather just over 500 listed on discogs which includes some dvds and cassettes. havent cataloged my cds.

• Options
    love all these funky storage boxes for 45s. I think of all the history they have being taken to a friend's house or whatever.
  • Options
    Keep my special stuff in this one. 
  • Options
    I keep rock and non rock separate and then alphabetize.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Well I always seem to have a problem with storage. I fill the cubes full with no spaces and then end up with about as many stacked against the units until the next reorganisation. If its bands that release stuff regularly I can end up with 2, 3 or 4 albums by them outside their cubes. I also run out of outer sleeves so often that I just end up leaving the outer shrink on.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,048
    Loujoe said:
    That is fucking sweet!  Where did you find that?
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    I separate out Comedy/VGM/Soundtracks and VA comps into their own catagories. Numero releases too just because they look so good next to each other. 

All artists of various genres are together alphabetically and then chronologically. Box sets that are too big for a shelf go on top. Other box sets that fit are in with all the other releases. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    kallax back stops.

folks have said cut down pool noodles.

@mrussel1 said something about wood strips?

you folks have dimensions on these?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    kallax back stops.

folks have said cut down pool noodles.

@mrussel1 said something about wood strips?

you folks have dimensions on these?
    Yeah I just took some pine strips from Lowes or whatever and cut them to length and then wood glued them down.  Could screw them too, but not necessary.  It was just a 1/2" strip or something, doesn't need much.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I just did the pool noodles hack this weekend. Worked out well. I think it was something like 13.5”-14” strips. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I just did the pool noodles hack this weekend. Worked out well. I think it was something like 13.5”-14” strips. 

assume you cut lengthwise. what was that dimension?

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

Nah, I just used the whole circumference of the noodle. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

Nah, I just used the whole circumference of the noodle. 

so do the records stick out from the front some?

I wonder if you slit the noodle lengthwise once it would fit over the back of shelf providing both top and bottom support?

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    Loujoe said:
    Makes sense, in case of emergency, grab and run.  
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    That is fucking sweet!  Where did you find that?
    Salvation army score! The clip is broke(i should fix it) it's like corduroy velvet. Has "a product of columbia records" sticker inside. Not super solid, but could pack it to bring to a friends for a spin session. Groooovy!!