Your Record Storage, Whatcha got going?

Comments

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    I don’t know, I just think Funko pops are pretty damn cool. I’ve never been one to hang all my PJ posters, have every show I’ve been except for that damn Dallas. Maybe one day..  Music is important to our lives.... 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    for anyone using a Kallax, did you add a backing board for strengthening? I just bought a 2x4 unit that I am planning on mounting vertically. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    I might just go IKEA and glue down wood strips for backstops. No backing drives me bonkers. 
    dankind said:
    I might just go IKEA and glue down wood strips for backstops. No backing drives me bonkers. 
    I know there is a company that makes backings. I get ads for them occasionally on my IG. 

Someone may have already mentioned this, but I cut pool noodles down to the width of the shelf. They are a tight fit that I push into the back of each shelf. And the width is perfect, that all my records pushed all the way in are exactly at the edge.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,418
    for anyone using a Kallax, did you add a backing board for strengthening? I just bought a 2x4 unit that I am planning on mounting vertically. 

for as light as it is, the way its put together gives strength.  dowel pins  hold all the interior components.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

for as light as it is, the way its put together gives strength.  dowel pins  hold all the interior components.
    Thanks. I went with the Kallax even though it was a little more expensive hoping it was better made (and stronger) than the ones that other places sell. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Loujoe said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    I know there is a company that makes backings. I get ads for them occasionally on my IG. 

Someone may have already mentioned this, but I cut pool noodles down to the width of the shelf. They are a tight fit that I push into the back of each shelf. And the width is perfect, that all my records pushed all the way in are exactly at the edge.

I guess I need to order some pool noodles from somewhere and try this. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,944

I currently have a 4x4 and it's pretty solid. Damn thing is nearly full.   As my house is holder and has plaster walls I didn't wall mount it.  I move it ahead an inch or so, then put a few layers of cardboard under the front left, middle, right.   Gives it a slight lean into the wall (but barely) and it's rock solid.

I'm hoping I can do the same with the 4x2 I recently ordered (still questioning myself if I should of gotten the 4x3... lol.
    Zod said:

I currently have a 4x4 and it's pretty solid. Damn thing is nearly full.   As my house is holder and has plaster walls I didn't wall mount it.  I move it ahead an inch or so, then put a few layers of cardboard under the front left, middle, right.   Gives it a slight lean into the wall (but barely) and it's rock solid.

I'm hoping I can do the same with the 4x2 I recently ordered (still questioning myself if I should of gotten the 4x3... lol.
    Thanks. I have a 16 month old grandson who is at the house a lot, so I am going to secure it to a wall stud with a bracket. 
    Zod said:

Thanks. I have a 16 month old grandson who is at the house a lot, so I am going to secure it to a wall stud with a bracket. 
    mounting brackets are supplied with pre-drilled holes in the unit for placement.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Zod said:

mounting brackets are supplied with pre-drilled holes in the unit for placement.

Bonus! I haven't put it together yet. It is still in the box in the back of our vehicle. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I made these out of pressed wood and stained them to match the shelf.  Flipping is much more satisfying the other method
     I will be making a few more in the coming weeks. 

The other thing I did was put a small block of wood in the back of each cubby,  glued down.  It prevents the records from sliding back.  Now they all stay aligned.  

mrussel1 said:
    I made these out of pressed wood and stained them to match the shelf.  Flipping is much more satisfying the other method

The other thing I did was put a small block of wood in the back of each cubby,  glued down.  It prevents the records from sliding back.  Now they all stay aligned.  

Nice! I like your dividers on the shelf too. Are those actual records?
    mrussel1 said:

Haha, yeah.  I go buy a handful of dollar records and glue them 1/3 up to the sleeve.  Makes great dividers.  Good eye!
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Haha, yeah.  I go buy a handful of dollar records and glue them 1/3 up to the sleeve.  Makes great dividers.  Good eye!
    Hmm, I might need to steal (borrow) your idea and get a little crafty.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

@mrussel1
    what are you using as a marker? silver sharpie?

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

@mrussel1
    what are you using as a marker? silver sharpie?
    Yes. And my wife writes them since I write like a serial killer. 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    IKEA 

This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • RobbertRobbert Rotterdam, the Netherlands Posts: 737

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Ikea kallax.  Glossy white
    this is what I've got. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dankind said:
    i have this same issue. records constantly pushing other records back, getting "lost" so to speak. especially if they have sleeves. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RobbertRobbert Rotterdam, the Netherlands Posts: 737
    edited April 2021
    dankind said:
    i have this same issue. records constantly pushing other records back, getting "lost" so to speak. especially if they have sleeves. 
    Look at my picture a few comments above. I buy those Glorious boxes. Perfect for the problem you have ( had that too ) in a Ikea storage ( wich i also have ) and for the Vault releases en boxes :)
    Post edited by Robbert on
    dankind said:
    I just took some pine from HD and cut to length, and glued down.  Super easy. 
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    I just took some pine from HD and cut to length, and glued down.  Super easy. 
    Yeah, wood strips and Liquid Nails was my initial plan, but the pool noodle hack seems easier. 

And it's not like the back of the storage unit will be visible.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I bought a Kallax over the weekend. I am going to try the pool noodle hack first and see how it goes. Dollar Tree here I come!
    I think a pool noodle will be too big and cause your PJ vaults to stick out.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Maybe I'll sell those.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    mrussel1 said:
    Possibly. If so I am only out a couple of dollars and I can look for plan b. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Possibly. If so I am only out a couple of dollars and I can look for plan b. 
    Also, you could always just carve a deeper section out of the pool noodle where the vaults live. Of course, that may change over time, but it would work until that happens.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Is the hack that the pool noodle is being held by pressure and not glued?
    mrussel1 said:
    Is the hack that the pool noodle is being held by pressure and not glued?
    Yes. @MedozK suggested it in this thread.

Also, you can cut a pool noodle with a kitchen knife or scissors (i.e., you don't need a saw), so that might make it easier.

I'm still using Liquid Nails to fix all the molding the electricians cut while rewiring the knob and tube to be up to code. Maybe three more years, and I'll finish that job. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM