What is the going rate for Benaroya Hall vinyl?

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited March 2021
    Anjar said:
    I am a massive fan of vinyl and I love PJ but I can’t get my head around spending $1000s on a record or boxset. I also don’t understand having one sealed and one to play. Is that to make money from in future? Personally I love playing my records, not looking at them in shrink wrap. It is a shame when things get to this price and scarcity, so only a select fee can enjoy them. 
    Well again the best way to do it is to sell some PJ items to buy your PJ grails.  I wouldn't recommend going into debt over this stuff.  I just bought a Benny (not on ebay).  I just sold some records and a poster.  Sealed or unsealed is the owners choice.  Kind of like “Do you frame and hang every poster”?  I don’t lol.  There’s probably not many Bennys left that are sealed at this point anyway.  Maybe 500 of the 2050 or whatever. 

As far as cards, i was convinced in 1991 that id be able to retire on my Larry Johnson rookie cards one day :lol:
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • AnjarAnjar UK Posts: 42
    Anjar said:
    I am a massive fan of vinyl and I love PJ but I can’t get my head around spending $1000s on a record or boxset. I also don’t understand having one sealed and one to play. Is that to make money from in future? Personally I love playing my records, not looking at them in shrink wrap. It is a shame when things get to this price and scarcity, so only a select fee can enjoy them. 
    Well again the best way to do it is to sell some PJ items to buy your PJ grails.  I wouldn't recommend going into debt over this stuff.  I just bought a Benny (not on ebay).  I just sold some records and a poster.  Sealed or unsealed is the owners choice.  Kind of like “Do you frame and hang every poster”?  I don’t lol.  There’s probably not many Bennys left that are sealed at this point anyway.  Maybe 500 of the 2050 or whatever. 

As far as cards, i was convinced in 1991 that id be able to retire on my Larry Johnson rookie cards one day :lol:
    To buy a Benny at that price I would have to sell pretty much my whole record collection! 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Anjar said:
    Anjar said:

To buy a Benny at that price I would have to sell pretty much my whole record collection! 
    maybe not?  For my collection the stuff with the most value is 90s and 00's stuff, even some of the stuff pressed in early 2010's has gone up in value quiet a bit, because vinyl keeps getting more popular, so pressings big enough for 2014, weren't big enough satiate the 2020 demand.

I would say it would be pretty easy to sell off some records to buy a benaroya, but then you don't have those records either.  Most of the rarer stuff I have, I wouldn't want to part with, because I wouldn't able to get them again.   Is it worth trading 12 fairly rare records worth a few hundred a pop for 1 $2400 record kind of thing... probably not :(
    Zod said:
    Anjar said:
    Anjar said:

maybe not?  For my collection the stuff with the most value is 90s and 00's stuff, even some of the stuff pressed in early 2010's has gone up in value quiet a bit, because vinyl keeps getting more popular, so pressings big enough for 2014, weren't big enough satiate the 2020 demand.

I would say it would be pretty easy to sell off some records to buy a benaroya, but then you don't have those records either.  Most of the rarer stuff I have, I wouldn't want to part with, because I wouldn't able to get them again.   Is it worth trading 12 fairly rare records worth a few hundred a pop for 1 $2400 record kind of thing... probably not :(
    I only bought CDs in the 90s and onwards, apart from one or two records I picked up cheap. I started buying vinyl again only a few years ago and I only have a couple of rare-ish records, which I wouldn’t part with. I just picked up the Ten super deluxe boxset and that was expensive enough! Lovely set though. I guess I personally just don’t feel a record is worth paying thousands for
  • joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    PB11041 said:
    Imagine buying a sealed copy only to find out it has warpred or worse?  I would never buy that set sealed unless I was literally in a place to light my money on fire for kicks.
    Vinyl flat and groovy pouch is an effective solution to warped records.  I’ve got one and use it to flatten new and old warped albums.  I’ve put cheap and expensive stuff in it.  Works great.

but yeah, it sucks to buy a sealed record regardless of price and see it’s warped.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Can't believe how much the bootleg vinyl is selling on eBay. A damn bootleg!  :o 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Anjar said:
    Zod said:
    Anjar said:
    Anjar said:

I only bought CDs in the 90s and onwards, apart from one or two records I picked up cheap. I started buying vinyl again only a few years ago and I only have a couple of rare-ish records, which I wouldn’t part with. I just picked up the Ten super deluxe boxset and that was expensive enough! Lovely set though. I guess I personally just don’t feel a record is worth paying thousands for
    I always bought the vinyl and CD. Only version of Vitalogy I had was vinyl for a while. But then there was about a 2-3 year period where I didnt buy any vinyl because I was in college, my record player broke, and I was student teaching so I had no money. Had planned on buying everything I missed in a few years when I was working. What came out in that 2-3 year gap? RVM, LD, Benny.....
    I remember when Avocado came out you could still buy Riot Act from the 10c for $25. I had no reason to think it would go up in value. 
    mace1229 said:
    Anjar said:
    Zod said:
    Anjar said:
    Anjar said:

I always bought the vinyl and CD. Only version of Vitalogy I had was vinyl for a while. But then there was about a 2-3 year period where I didnt buy any vinyl because I was in college, my record player broke, and I was student teaching so I had no money. Had planned on buying everything I missed in a few years when I was working. What came out in that 2-3 year gap? RVM, LD, Benny.....
    I remember when Avocado came out you could still buy Riot Act from the 10c for $25. I had no reason to think it would go up in value. 
    😣 this is it. I went to college/Uni and had so little money I had to save up for weeks to buy a new CD! And vinyl was not so popular for a while and many bands didn’t release on vinyl, so CD seemed like the way to go. I bought all the imported Ten CD singles as a teenager and they were rare and expensive at the time, and now are so easy and cheap to get hold of. I do wish I had picked up the No Code vinyl reissue though. There was no good reason not to other than I didn’t think it would be out of print. So now I don’t have a copy 😔
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    demetrios said:
    Can't believe how much the bootleg vinyl is selling on eBay. A damn bootleg!  :o 
    A Fool and his money are soon parted.
    demetrios said:
    I think a lot of people figure they will never own the real deal, and if they are big into vinyl (and if the sound is decent) they would rather have that than nothing. The demand for the vinyl is there but the supply is not
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Usually with bootlegs though... you can find a number of places charging a nominal price, but many resellers on Ebay or Discogs try to inflate the price.  Usually you can find bootlegs for a modest price (or slightly more than a modest price)?

In regards to No Code, I can't believe the reissues are out of print already, and the demand for vinyl has gotten so big even the reissues are in high demand.

Back to Benaroya.  When I bought mine I was an almost starving university student.   I spent the night between choose food vs. vinyl.   I chose the vinyl and had to spend the next month eating pretty much nothing but Mr. Noodles... lol.
    Zod said:
    Usually with bootlegs though... you can find a number of places charging a nominal price, but many resellers on Ebay or Discogs try to inflate the price.  Usually you can find bootlegs for a modest price (or slightly more than a modest price)?

In regards to No Code, I can't believe the reissues are out of print already, and the demand for vinyl has gotten so big even the reissues are in high demand.

Back to Benaroya.  When I bought mine I was an almost starving university student.   I spent the night between choose food vs. vinyl.   I chose the vinyl and had to spend the next month eating pretty much nothing but Mr. Noodles... lol.

Shocked the No Code reissue is out of print. It was only yesterday that vinyl was pretty easy to find at the local record store & online retail stores.

Local record store had copies of the Benny bootleg for $89.99. And again heard they had more copies in, charging the same price. Yeah eBay or Discogs will charge ALOT more. One sold few weeks back for $222.22 US.

demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Shocked the No Code reissue is out of print. It was only yesterday that vinyl was pretty easy to find at the local record store & online retail stores.

Local record store had copies of the Benny bootleg for $89.99. And again heard they had more copies in, charging the same price. Yeah eBay or Discogs will charge ALOT more. One sold few weeks back for $222.22 US.

How many discs is the bootleg? $90 seems pretty steep for a boot and over $200 is pretty crazy. Let me know if anyone hears of a copy of No Code available!
    Anjar said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

How many discs is the bootleg? $90 seems pretty steep for a boot and over $200 is pretty crazy. Let me know if anyone hears of a copy of No Code available!

Three. If I see a reissue vinyl copy of No Code online will let you know.
    demetrios said:
    Anjar said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Thanks 🙏 There are a lots on Discogs but they are all around £100 or more 😳
    Anjar said:
    demetrios said:
    Anjar said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Oh wow!! 
    Anjar said:
    demetrios said:
    Anjar said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Found one. Pm sent.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Man Grateful Dead box sets are suuuuper pricey.  Check out 30 trips around the sun or Europe 72 complete.... $1500 going rate. I picked up a bunch of their stuff recently by selling a bunch of useless vinyl.  I had no idea their stuff was so expensive!  The packaging is memorable though- felt lined carved wooden cases, amazing artwork, etc- pretty neat if you like things like that.  Also the cd’s are in ornate packaging too, really puts PJ’s chipboard sets to shame.

then again the prices for those sets while in stock on their site are much more than most of PJ’s.

anyway, check it out, it’s pretty eye opening as to the demand for their stuff and their fan base  vs PJ.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Man Grateful Dead box sets are suuuuper pricey.  Check out 30 trips around the sun or Europe 72 complete.... $1500 going rate. I picked up a bunch of their stuff recently by selling a bunch of useless vinyl.  I had no idea their stuff was so expensive!  The packaging is memorable though- felt lined carved wooden cases, amazing artwork, etc- pretty neat if you like things like that.  Also the cd’s are in ornate packaging too, really puts PJ’s chipboard sets to shame.

then again the prices for those sets while in stock on their site are much more than most of PJ’s.

anyway, check it out, it’s pretty eye opening as to the demand for their stuff and their fan base  vs PJ.
    the limited runs on all the dead stuff make them go for high prices on secondary.  I funded my revival into vinyl in part by selling several of the Dick's Picks series CDs I had.  I just did not play them with the same frequency I would with vinyl.   If I had a time machine I would go back and buy about 10 copies of several of their Dicks Picks releases and such.  The same with PJ Lost Dogs on vinyl. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• jbrowniejbrownie Posts: 135
    I had been meaning to jokingly start a thread asking what the going rate for Benaroya shrink wrap was. Now it seems I have an answer...about 650 dollars. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2021
    At least sellers next year will have to pay taxes on their income when they sell a Benaroya Hall. If your in the US and looking to sell, sell this year cause next year you will have to report that income on your taxes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/its-going-to-get-harder-to-avoid-telling-the-irs-about-income-from-online-sales.html
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • ymalkielymalkiel Posts: 129

The 30 Trips box from GD does go for a lot, but it was pretty pricey to begin with. I think I paid around $700 for it. Some of the other box sets have gone up significantly in value, though. A couple of the box sets that I spent $75 - $100 on go for $300 - $500 or more. I think the first Spring 1990 box set has sold for $1000. I think I paid $150 for that when it came out. 

✌🏼❤️
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    edited April 2021
    I am not sure if this allowed, so please delete it if it is not, but there is a Benny #586 of 2000 up for raffle on a Facebook auction site called Wax Sabbath. It says sealed with torn shrink. 100 spots at $30 a spot. I never win things like that, but someone here might be interested. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
    edited April 2021
    I am not sure if this allowed, so please delete it if it is not, but there is a Benny #586 of 2000 up for raffle on a Facebook auction site called Wax Sabbath. It says sealed with torn shrink. 100 spots at $30 a spot. I never win things like that, but someone here might be interested. 

I never win at those raffles either. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    MedozK said:
    At least sellers next year will have to pay taxes on their income when they sell a Benaroya Hall. If your in the US and looking to sell, sell this year cause next year you will have to report that income on your taxes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/its-going-to-get-harder-to-avoid-telling-the-irs-about-income-from-online-sales.html
    that is going to be next to impossible to enforce.  People will just move to more frictionless means like the Lost Dogs forum and make an agreement pay via paypal/venmo with no direct link to a product being mentinoed.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,096
    edited April 2021
    PB11041 said:
    MedozK said:

that is going to be next to impossible to enforce.  People will just move to more frictionless means like the Lost Dogs forum and make an agreement pay via paypal/venmo with no direct link to a product being mentinoed.
    It’s not hard to enforce at all. If you are paid via “Goods and Services”, you get a form come tax time that shows everything you sold for the year and you have to pay tax on it. I know because I sold a bunch last year and got that nice surprise this tax year. To my knowledge, only two states do that now, but you can bet once the other state governments get wind, they’ll be on it too. 

Now, you could only accept payment via “Friends and Family” and avoid the tax, but how many people are going to trust the other user? Especially if it’s a Benny or a Pitt 13, etc and have no buyer protection? Not too many.

eBay is doing the same. They have wrapped up all their fees into your payout, and the buyer pays tax at the point of sale, but you end up paying tax on the sale at tax time. Isn’t it great paying a tax for something you already paid tax on when you purchased it - just because you ended up selling it??
    Post edited by Jimmydean55 on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PB11041 said:
    MedozK said:

It’s not hard to enforce at all. If you are paid via “Goods and Services”, you get a form come tax time that shows everything you sold for the year and you have to pay tax on it. I know because I sold a bunch last year and got that nice surprise this tax year. To my knowledge, only two states do that now, but you can bet once the other state governments get wind, they’ll be on it too. 

Now, you could only accept payment via “Friends and Family” and avoid the tax, but how many people are going to trust the other user? Especially if it’s a Benny or a Pitt 13, etc and have no buyer protection? Not too many.

eBay is doing the same. They have wrapped up all their fees into your payout, and the buyer pays tax at the point of sale, but you end up paying tax on the sale at tax time. Isn’t it great paying a tax for something you already paid tax on when you purchased it - just because you ended up selling it??
    I would assume you could deduct the amount you paid for the item in your taxes? So if you paid $1500 for one and sold it for $2500 you would only be taxed on the $1000 profit? And if you bought it on the secondary market you likely didn't pay taxes for it already. And if you didn't buy it on the secondary market, you paid like $50 for it then, so the taxes would have been about $4.
    I didn't have time to read the article, but most places, like ebay and etsy, only report the taxes over a certain amount, like $10,000. At least that was the case 2 years ago when I closed my etsy shop. Less than that they assume it was a private sale which I don't think needs to be taxed as income, more than that they assume its a small business which needs to be taxed.
    Anyway, this is just a result of us getting away with not paying taxes for 20 years when buying stuff online. How long did we not pay taxes with Amazon or on an actual business just because they sold through ebay? If we didn't get away with avoiding taxes for 20 years, they probably wouldn't be worried about the private seller on paypal.
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,096
    All very true. I’m not exactly sure about deducting the original tax from your sale come tax time. Honestly, I was just frustrated that I had to pay another tax, so I didn’t even look into it. 
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    ymalkiel said:

The 30 Trips box from GD does go for a lot, but it was pretty pricey to begin with. I think I paid around $700 for it. Some of the other box sets have gone up significantly in value, though. A couple of the box sets that I spent $75 - $100 on go for $300 - $500 or more. I think the first Spring 1990 box set has sold for $1000. I think I paid $150 for that when it came out. 

I just threw down on 30 trips.  I don’t care how much it cost me lol, I love box sets! Can’t wait to open the chest up.  
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • ymalkielymalkiel Posts: 129
    ymalkiel said:

I just threw down on 30 trips.  I don’t care how much it cost me lol, I love box sets! Can’t wait to open the chest up.  
    It’s a beauty, and the shows included are great choices. Enjoy!
    ✌🏼❤️