Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• TNSTAAFL

Damn. Now the moon people are getting involved.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Has the dem leadership censured her yet?
    For having principles?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

TNSTAAFL

Damn. Now the moon people are getting involved.
    I don't like furners either
  • static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    I’d go after Joe “we aren’t gonna get anything done” Manchin first.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    Yeah Manchin is getting on my nerves.  His coming out against Tanden is annoying as I believe he has voted for R candidates who have said just as much if not worse on Twitter.  That being said, Tanden's tweets are rightfully catching up to her.  If anything comes from this, it should be to stop being an asshole on twitter.  Can public officials or wannabe officials just learn this lesson...please?
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    Yeah Manchin is getting on my nerves.  His coming out against Tanden is annoying as I believe he has voted for R candidates who have said just as much if not worse on Twitter.  That being said, Tanden's tweets are rightfully catching up to her.  If anything comes from this, it should be to stop being an asshole on twitter.  Can public officials or wannabe officials just learn this lesson...please?
    Maybe I should make a fuck joe manchin thread, but I’m too lazy.  I’m beginning to feel like Dems prefer a divided government so they can blame republicans for everything.  Now both houses and the presidency and can’t make anything happen.  Very frustrating.  Also people are really sick of waiting on those $1400 checks.  At this point it’s not looking good for Dems to the casual voter.  It’s much harder to blame republicans when you have both chambers and the executive.  If 1400+600 equals $2000 does $600 plus 0 equal fuck joe manchin? Almost done rambling here.  At this point Americans got more help during the pandemic under Trump and the republicans, not a good look. Again fuck joe manchin.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    Maybe I should make a fuck joe manchin thread, but I’m too lazy.  I’m beginning to feel like Dems prefer a divided government so they can blame republicans for everything.  Now both houses and the presidency and can’t make anything happen.  Very frustrating.  Also people are really sick of waiting on those $1400 checks.  At this point it’s not looking good for Dems to the casual voter.  It’s much harder to blame republicans when you have both chambers and the executive.  If 1400+600 equals $2000 does $600 plus 0 equal fuck joe manchin? Almost done rambling here.  At this point Americans got more help during the pandemic under Trump and the republicans, not a good look. Again fuck joe manchin.
    As far I have heard,  Manchin is on board with everything but the minimum wage.  And there is a counter to $10 coming from Romney. The point is that I think the stimulus will pass through reconciliation with a Manchin vote.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    As far I have heard,  Manchin is on board with everything but the minimum wage.  And there is a counter to $10 coming from Romney. The point is that I think the stimulus will pass through reconciliation with a Manchin vote.  
    I;m not a fan of raising the minimum wage to $15 either.  $10 is fine.
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    That’s easy to say if you aren’t living on it.  My wife and I are both well above minimum wage, but I still remember those days, hell I even remember making $15 an hour 10 years ago and having a hard time making it and having to work three jobs to do so.  Something major needs to be done IMO. Raise the minimum higher, or somehow lower price and perceived value.  I mean good luck trying to make average rent on $10
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    That’s easy to say if you aren’t living on it.  My wife and I are both well above minimum wage, but I still remember those days, hell I even remember making $15 an hour 10 years ago and having a hard time making it and having to work three jobs to do so.  Something major needs to be done IMO. Raise the minimum higher, or somehow lower price and perceived value.  I mean good luck trying to make average rent on $10
    $4.35 was my start.  Actually maybe it was $3.90.
    My start was 5.15 That was shameful even for 95
    Scio me nihil scire

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2021
    Unpaid here (court-ordered community service; aka, indentured servant)
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    My first hourly wage was $2 something, but then again I was 14, and not worth paying fairly apparently. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    The jobs I had at minimum wage were starter jobs.  I wasn't planning that as a career. 

I rented a room, drove an older car and gas was only .99$ cigarettes were $2 a pack.  In retrospect, I could work 1 hr and afford 2 gallons of gas, a pack of smokes and a drink and go cruising for the day and wet my whistle.  Today you could get the gallon of gas, fill up your water bottle and roll your own at $7.50.
  • dankind said:
    Unpaid here (court-ordered community service; aka, indentured servant)
    And I'm the #1 asshole?  Pshhhhhhhhh...
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    The jobs I had at minimum wage were starter jobs.  I wasn't planning that as a career. 

I rented a room, drove an older car and gas was only .99$ cigarettes were $2 a pack.  In retrospect, I could work 1 hr and afford 2 gallons of gas, a pack of smokes and a drink and go cruising for the day and wet my whistle.  Today you could get the gallon of gas, fill up your water bottle and roll your own at $7.50.
    The idea of a starter job to me is an asshole excuse most of the time.  What does that even mean.  Kind of like the argument that minimum wages are meant to be “starter jobs”.  Historically I don’t believe creating a pool of cheap starter jobs  for teenagers or whatever was the reason for instituting a minimum wage.

not everyone is on or meant for a career path. And if you come from low income and decide you want to follow a career path it will likely result in taking out loans for an education and when you finally earn more you’ll be saddled with paying off that debt, thus not really getting too far from the lifestyle from that starter job.
    Scio me nihil scire

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    Patience, static, patience. It's been a little more than 30 days. "Can't make anything happen" sounds like an exaggeration to me, at this point. He's signed a bunch of EOs ending some incredibly egregious policies. Pelosi has a lot of cats to herd.

Schumer, in my view, is a bigger issue than any of them. What the hell took him so long to actually get the Senate organizing agreement in place with McConnell, I mean, other than an impeachment trial? The Senate is a really tenuous place, and yes, Manchin is frustrating to the party. But Schumer and his Whip Durbin need to do a better job at pulling Manchin along. 

So, I just encourage patience. If at 100 days nothing has happened, then I'll panic. But it's still early.
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    For having principles?
    Exactly.
    Patience, static, patience. It's been a little more than 30 days. "Can't make anything happen" sounds like an exaggeration to me, at this point. He's signed a bunch of EOs ending some incredibly egregious policies. Pelosi has a lot of cats to herd.

Schumer, in my view, is a bigger issue than any of them. What the hell took him so long to actually get the Senate organizing agreement in place with McConnell, I mean, other than an impeachment trial? The Senate is a really tenuous place, and yes, Manchin is frustrating to the party. But Schumer and his Whip Durbin need to do a better job at pulling Manchin along. 

So, I just encourage patience. If at 100 days nothing has happened, then I'll panic. But it's still early.
    Thanks you for the very measured and nuanced response, What Dreams.  It does put what work needs to be done into perspective.  The big fear for me really is that this foot dragging continues until 2022 and causes the Dems to lose seats and really lead to the authoritarian hell hole we narrowly avoided.  So for me 30 some days in the big picture isn’t much, but when it comes to making the case to the rank and file voters that don’t care about Ds and Rs before the mid term it looks like a much bigger chunk of time.
    Scio me nihil scire

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    so wrong! wow
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    Hope she fun at the Gala!! TAX THE RICH!! hahahah. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yeah no hypocrisy or mixed message there.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Poncier said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    How dare you speak out against princess AOC, peasant.
    I think she's a fool.  
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    PJPOWER said:
    Poncier said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    How dare you speak out against princess AOC, peasant.
    Exactly! Its obviously because of her age , race and gender. Couldn’t be anything else. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    criticism is healthy, but it's key to understand what and why you are criticizing. I'd like to know why it's hypocritical to go to an exclusive event and promote a message to close the economic gap? that's exactly the audience you need to reach to gain those things in society, and to get people talking. talking to poor people is all fine and dandy, understanding their problems, but if you don't promote that message to the elite, you won't get anywhere. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2021/09/14/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-met-gala-designer-dress-newday-vpx.cnn
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    criticism is healthy, but it's key to understand what and why you are criticizing. I'd like to know why it's hypocritical to go to an exclusive event and promote a message to close the economic gap? that's exactly the audience you need to reach to gain those things in society, and to get people talking. talking to poor people is all fine and dandy, understanding their problems, but if you don't promote that message to the elite, you won't get anywhere. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2021/09/14/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-met-gala-designer-dress-newday-vpx.cnn
    I thought it was in bad taste.  I support the idea, but I don't think that is a message you put on a dress when invited to an event like that.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited September 2021
    pjhawks said:

I thought it was in bad taste.  I support the idea, but I don't think that is a message you put on a dress when invited to an event like that.
    poor taste at a fashion event? this wasn't official government business or anything. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think the elite are well aware some want to tax them more.  This won't be news to them.  Maybe what you say was her true intent, but it's kind of ham fisted and very likely to be used against her, just like this is being used against her.  As I always say after one of her stunts "she needs to be smarter".  She started her career by trying a coup against Pelosi and she continues to make silly mistakes. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    I think she's a fool.  
    Ted Crud is a fool. Matt Getts Off is a fool. Maggie Three Names is a fool. Boebert is a fool. Deathsantis is a fool. AOC is not a fool.

Speaks truth to power. An equivalent set of balls would be any of my aforementioned fools wearing an outfit that said “ban assault weapons” to CPAC or whatever conservative hosted charitable gala, if there are any, they happened to be invited to.

Speaking of charitable galas, which ones do “compassionate conservatives” organize, attend and donate to?

And let’s see if her political donations drop off and she’s unseated in 2022, being the “fool” you think she is.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©