2021 European Tour Announcement

Comments

• rw160510rw160510 Posts: 903
    The UK gov is set to announce that ALL legal limits on social contact will be removed from 21 June.

I can confidently say that BST will now definitely go ahead without any question whatsoever. 100%. Bet the house. 

No earlier than June 21st. It's not bolted on at this stage but it sounds a bit more promising. The rest of the tour however,  I'm not so sure. I've got tickets for Amsterdam and I'm in no rush to re book hotels and flights.
  • The annoucement was 21st June - "at the earliest", i don't hold the same confidence that this will go ahead - not confirmed its definately 21st, just earliest and can't see them allowing crowds in at Hyde Park - hope i am wrong but there is a hell of a lot of planning that needs to go into holding something like this and a less definate statement that gigs will be good to go after 21st, i think they will pull the plug for this year and full steam ahead next year. - unless they can move to late August - early Sept
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    Target in Uk of all restrictions lifted by 21st June - question is now whether PJ proceed with Uk when other EU countries who don't have such a fast vax roll out.
  • I still don't see it happening. Or at least, certainly not with PJ headlining. It will be difficult for anyone with a ticket outside of the UK to attend, and I just don't see them doing that to their fans. 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    We can still dream though right?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    While I still say Europe 2022 is 100% and nothing this year, I love the optimism from the UK and the push to safely reopen as soon as possible. In NA we are getting masks and distancing until 2022 as our message. Optimism is what we need right now almost 1 year into this mess. 

May be an image of text that says Step 4 Figure 12 Step STEP At least five weeks after Step 3 no earlier than 21 June By Step 4 the Government hopes to be able to introduce the following subject to review  No limits Nolegamt on social contact Nightclubs TICKET Larger events Noll all legal limit on life events
  • It says somewhere the final decision about a phase will be made one week before it is due to start.  So if everything goes well with all prior phases (which is a huge if) then on 14 June it could be definitive that the last phase will start on 21 June.  That means the organizers of BST will not have certainty in any scenario until less than 4 weeks before the fest.  That sounds like 2022 to me.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    It says somewhere the final decision about a phase will be made one week before it is due to start.  So if everything goes well with all prior phases (which is a huge if) then on 14 June it could be definitive that the last phase will start on 21 June.  That means the organizers of BST will not have certainty in any scenario until less than 4 weeks before the fest.  That sounds like 2022 to me.  
    Always wondered why pushing it to August is not an option for these festivals. It seems like they are 1 month short of possibly happening if all things go off to plan. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Kearn5y said:
    Aerosmith just bumped their European tour (June/July) on by 12 months to 2022. I’d rather this than a cancel 
    I see a lot of artists are doing the same, bumping their tours to next year. Will be happy to keep my tickets until next year.
    Yeah, I have NO problem holding onto the tickets for the Shows I have.
  • PJNB said:
    It says somewhere the final decision about a phase will be made one week before it is due to start.  So if everything goes well with all prior phases (which is a huge if) then on 14 June it could be definitive that the last phase will start on 21 June.  That means the organizers of BST will not have certainty in any scenario until less than 4 weeks before the fest.  That sounds like 2022 to me.  
    Always wondered why pushing it to August is not an option for these festivals. It seems like they are 1 month short of possibly happening if all things go off to plan. 
    Likewise, or even early Sept.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Im guessing PJ won't come just to play hyde park if the rest of Europe is off
    Im guessing PJ won't come just to play hyde park if the rest of Europe is off
    Curious how the contract obligations would work regarding this. I still think Hyde Park does not happen for many reasons but if it did how could Pearl Jam just back out legally with out taking a huge hit in the wallet. Crazy times though and probably a different contract signed this time around than for 2020 so who knows what the stipulations are. 
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,129
    edited February 2021
    PJNB said:
    Im guessing PJ won't come just to play hyde park if the rest of Europe is off
    Curious how the contract obligations would work regarding this. I still think Hyde Park does not happen for many reasons but if it did how could Pearl Jam just back out legally with out taking a huge hit in the wallet. Crazy times though and probably a different contract signed this time around than for 2020 so who knows what the stipulations are. 
    Good point i doubt its happening though so may not end up being relevant *no earlier than" to me would make it difficult to commit when it could easily be pushed back a month 
    Post edited by BlueLedbetter on
  • None of the shows will happen in 2021 - regardless of UK and Hyde Park.

Where does it say life back to normal from 21 June?  Does anyone seriously think the first gigs back will be outdoor 60,000+ capacity concerts with international travelling fans!! 

Dublin '06, Lisbon 1 '06, Lisbon 2 '06, London '07, Manchester '09, London '09, Dublin '10, Belfast '10, London '10, Manchester 1 '12, Manchester 2 '12, Berlin 1 '12, Berlin 2 '12, Amsterdam 1 '14, Amsterdam 2 '14, Berlin '14, Leeds '14, London 1 '18, Prague '18, Krakow '18, Berlin '18, London 2 '18, London 1 '22, London 2 '22, Budapest '22, Amsterdam 2 '22
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,468
    edited February 2021
    In regards to Hyde Park. Optimistically I see them having a limited capacity crowd, masks, and UK citizens only attend. I also see them allowing international bands to drop out. I think something is better than nothing. 

Ohana and Sea Hear Now I think are a go, just super limited capacity. I think those are the only 2 shows PJ will agree to do with limited capacity because they’re shows in the states. 

I see the first PJ show “as we know it” in April 2022 once the weather warms up a bit and we’re through the flu season 2021.

I will be trying to attend every single show once they announce it. Not sure how much longer we have, they’re out of their prime, Eddie can’t do certain songs anymore (lord knows he tries though), and by the time we see them they will be much older as will we.
    Post edited by HailHailVitalogy on
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • That said, I really think they should shoot for a New Zealand and Australia tour in Dec/Jan to shake the rust off
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 267
    edited February 2021
    None of the shows will happen in 2021 - regardless of UK and Hyde Park.

Where does it say life back to normal from 21 June?  Does anyone seriously think the first gigs back will be outdoor 60,000+ capacity concerts with international travelling fans!! 

If all goes to plan, according to the UK Gov timeline, yes shows of all sizes are happening from 21 june. 21 june is the aim to return to normality. No social restrictions of any kind. Will it happen? Who knows. Will BST happen with Pearl Jam headlining? Highly unlikely.
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on

• Ohana and Sea Hear Now I think are a go, just super limited capacity. I think those are the only 2 shows PJ will agree to do with limited capacity because they’re shows in the states. 
    Re Ohana and SHN, it may be tough to limit capacity, as tickets have been sold based on the pre-COVID numbers.  It isn’t public how many tickets remain unsold, but chances are they’ve sold well above whatever a reduced capacity would be.  And if not, there are still the economics of whether the reduced capacity revenue is sufficient for them to proceed.  But if either or both of these happen, I’ll be there if at all possible at my end.  

• Ohana and Sea Hear Now I think are a go, just super limited capacity. I think those are the only 2 shows PJ will agree to do with limited capacity because they’re shows in the states. 
    Re Ohana and SHN, it may be tough to limit capacity, as tickets have been sold based on the pre-COVID numbers.  It isn’t public how many tickets remain unsold, but chances are they’ve sold well above whatever a reduced capacity would be.  And if not, there are still the economics of whether the reduced capacity revenue is sufficient for them to proceed.  But if either or both of these happen, I’ll be there if at all possible at my end.  

There’s a lot of ways around it. There will be people asking for refunds because they don’t feel safe. Can also offer free VIP tickets for 2022 if they swap 2021 for 2022. Just two ideas off the top of my head. In terms of finances, it’s a loss one way or another.
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    edited February 2021

Ohana and Sea Hear Now I think are a go, just super limited capacity. I think those are the only 2 shows PJ will agree to do with limited capacity because they’re shows in the states. 

There’s a lot of ways around it. There will be people asking for refunds because they don’t feel safe. Can also offer free VIP tickets for 2022 if they swap 2021 for 2022. Just two ideas off the top of my head. In terms of finances, it’s a loss one way or another.
    It's not a loss one way or another. For one thing, if the festival doesn't happen and there are losses, they are no doubt insured. Plus, by holding the festival with a much smaller than planned crowd, the losses would be much larger than if they don't hold the festival at all unless they can somehow get the acts to renegotiate their fees.

This is a multi-million dollar event with contracts that have long ago been signed. Your "lots of ways" don't take into account at all the economic reality. Maybe they will find a way to hold the fall festivals, we can hope, but I would personally not bet my house on it.

Concerts are completely different than sports, which can happen with very small crowds or no crowds because of the TV money. The games are going to happen anyway so it can be decided at the last minute to allow fans in. To hold a concert in September, they will have to make the decision several months before when they likely won't have the data to give the go ahead. That's why it is likely most large shows won't resume until 2022.  There will no doubt start to be smaller venue shows earlier. 

Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • The economic reality is that the music industry will do absolutely anything to turn even the smallest of profits right now. 
  • The economic reality is that the music industry will do absolutely anything to turn even the smallest of profits right now. 
    Except the festival will not make a profit under your scenario. Far from it. You don’t seem to understand contracts for these performances are long in place. The bands are getting paid their full rates. There is no scenario that works with a crowd of 50 percent or less.
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 267
    edited February 2021
    Lucky's point is that by running these events at reduced capacity they wont make a profit,  though. They'd likely make a loss. I don't know the finances involved with these big events but it would be interesting to know what capacity they can operate at to still return some profit. 75%? I remember the PJ show at Hyde Park in 2010 and it was far from sold out. They were still selling tickets at dramatically reduced prices on the day. So that event could easily have been sub 90% attendance with not everyone paying face value. 

Often these things are sponsored up the yin yang so that would help to some extent. But I still think a full cancellation seems the more likely outcome.
    edited February 2021
    No description available

So is this some intern running the social media site wishful thinking or is there any chance these actually happen? I seem to remember the day before PJ postponed the fall fests they were still posting positive vibes on social media. Also these could happen with covid restrictions I guess. Hydepark will not have that luxury unless they cancel all tickets and resell with a lot less tickets going out. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • I don’t know the answer, but it’s interesting that Reading is late August.  Those extra 6-8 weeks could matter. 

• The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    edited February 2021
    Aerosmith postponed their European tour again yesterday and those shows were scheduled for June and July.

Despite the announcement from the UK government, I don't see any shows going ahead at the end of June and in July.
    This announcement of everything getting back to normal by June 21st depends on everything going well in the run up to that. International travel has still not been sorted. I think we'll see life get to normal later in the year but I think PJ plays in 2022.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
    I don’t know the answer, but it’s interesting that Reading is late August.  Those extra 6-8 weeks could matter. 
    Good point on the dates being later and you maybe right those extra weeks could matter. I think these two will happen but with restrictions still on numbers and spacing. 
  • PJNB said:
    No description available

So is this some intern running the social media site wishful thinking or is there any chance these actually happen? I seem to remember the day before PJ postponed the fall fests they were still posting positive vibes on social media. Also these could happen with covid restrictions I guess. Hydepark will not have that luxury unless they cancel all tickets and resell with a lot less tickets going out. 
    This is just to take advantage of press positivity and sell some more tickets to fans desperate for something.... they know full well they may have to cancel.  It's as simple as this.
    If you are in the business of selling tickets, wouldn't you use this to sell more.  If it gets moved to 2022 so be it
    Dublin '06, Lisbon 1 '06, Lisbon 2 '06, London '07, Manchester '09, London '09, Dublin '10, Belfast '10, London '10, Manchester 1 '12, Manchester 2 '12, Berlin 1 '12, Berlin 2 '12, Amsterdam 1 '14, Amsterdam 2 '14, Berlin '14, Leeds '14, London 1 '18, Prague '18, Krakow '18, Berlin '18, London 2 '18, London 1 '22, London 2 '22, Budapest '22, Amsterdam 2 '22
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    Some cool news for us Aussies .. if it really happens.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/chrissiesamandbrowny/

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    My airline changed my itinerary.   I have the option to refuse and get a full refund.  YES!
This discussion has been closed.