Whiskey Clique

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    Definitely enjoy that one. My wife’s uncle and I absolutely destroyed a bottle of it in record time around the holidays. Was ugly. 
    Cliffy i m on my third glass, I can see how you killed a bottle in record time.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  •  One thing I like to recommend is Private Barrel Selections aka Store Picks. These are very unique and if your local store has pickers with great pallets you can get some awesome whiskeys.
    Totally agree. I've enjoyed many good store picks from my local shops, and I always seek them out. You can also build solid relationships with store owners/employees by showing a genuine interest in the private barrels they're bringing in. Having those relationships is the only way to score allocated bottles in many states. Not sure if Bentleyspop has a different take since he's in the industry, but I've found that buying store picks gives you a chance to taste some good unique stuff, talk shop with other whiskey geeks, and occasionally score something rare from behind the counter...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
     One thing I like to recommend is Private Barrel Selections aka Store Picks. These are very unique and if your local store has pickers with great pallets you can get some awesome whiskeys.

Today I was part of 2 tasting panels for George Remus Cask Strength and Knob Creek Bourbon.
    It will be interesting to see how they turn out when the bottles arrive later this year.

Interesting....How do you end up getting the invite to something like that?  Do they reach out to you or do you have to request?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
     One thing I like to recommend is Private Barrel Selections aka Store Picks. These are very unique and if your local store has pickers with great pallets you can get some awesome whiskeys.

Today I was part of 2 tasting panels for George Remus Cask Strength and Knob Creek Bourbon.
    It will be interesting to see how they turn out when the bottles arrive later this year.

Interesting....How do you end up getting the invite to something like that?  Do they reach out to you or do you have to request?
    Its part of my job
    Here's the most recent sample kit from Knob Creek....

We were planning on hitting some bourbon distilleries last year before the COVID bullshit.  We're in Indy so Louisville is just a two hour drive.

We went to Evan Williams a few years ago which was pretty cool.  Old Forester and Angel's Envy are right down the street from there.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    edited February 2021
    We were planning on hitting some bourbon distilleries last year before the COVID bullshit.  We're in Indy so Louisville is just a two hour drive.

We went to Evan Williams a few years ago which was pretty cool.  Old Forester and Angel's Envy are right down the street from there.
    I've done the Old Forester one. I really like their bourbons. Got to try the 1890, 1897, 1910, and 1920 recipes. I really liked the 1920 blend and my wife's favorite was the 1910. Plus, they gave you a free drink at the bar before your tour/tasting.

Of all the distilleries we went to, I would say the Buffalo Trace was the best. It's over in Frankfort, which is about an hour east of Louisville. Lots of distilleries up there. I'd like to go back and do some of the ones we weren't able to see.

Even without the bourbon distilleries, Louisville is a cool city to visit. I really enjoyed going to Louisville Slugger factory and the Muhammad Ali museum. We went May 2019 so we were able to catch a Louisville Bats game as well. I did find it funny/ironic that the sponsored whiskey at the stadium was Jack Daniels.
    Post edited by markymark550 on

I've done the Old Forester one. I really like their bourbons. Got to try the 1890, 1897, 1910, and 1920 recipes. I really liked the 1920 blend and my wife's favorite was the 1910. Plus, they gave you a free drink at the bar before your tour/tasting.

Of all the distilleries we went to, I would say the Buffalo Trace was the best. It's over in Frankfort, which is about an hour east of Louisville. Lots of distilleries up there. I'd like to go back and do some of the ones we weren't able to see.

Even without the bourbon distilleries, Louisville is a cool city to visit. I really enjoyed going to Louisville Slugger factory and the Muhammad Ali museum. We went May 2019 so we were able to catch a Louisville Bats game as well. I did find it funny/ironic that the sponsored whiskey at the stadium was Jack Daniels.
    yeah that is odd...

I really want to go to Buffalo Trace...there are so many down there you could make a vacation out of it.

yeah that is odd...

I really want to go to Buffalo Trace...there are so many down there you could make a vacation out of it.
    Definitely check out BT if you get the chance. I think we made it to 12 distilleries/tastings over the week we spent in Kentucky. There's at least a dozen more that I'd like to try!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576

I got to try the lag 16!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    ^^It's VERY smokey.  Not sure I like it much, I definitely know I prefer a Macallan or a Glenlivet.  Balvenie if I'm in a sweet mood.
    Aberlour is my favorite scotch, but it isn't the easiest one to find.  Interestingly, the only store to carry it near me is in a 1 light town, none of the bigger "city" stores around carry it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    I really don't know why, but I picked up some Tin Cup today when I was at the liquor store. I'm always tempted by the Whiskeys, but then disappointed when I try them because I'm really not into whiskey. Oh well, had a shot tonight in between Grey Goose Vanille drinks and it was ok. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    This weekend...
    Sitting outside with a fine cigar and a few pours of the brown goodness...
    Cannot wait!
    edited February 2021
    mca47 said:
    This weekend...
    Cannot wait!
    Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. Whatcha gonna pour?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    mca47 said:
    This weekend...
    Cannot wait!
    Depends on the cigar.  I have some new ones I've never tried before.  I like to pour a few, small, "tasters" to find the one that pairs with that cigar.  Prob a Highland or Speyside, an Irish (thinking Yellow Spot) and a bourbon.
    I only have one cigar a month or so, so I like to make it fun.
    Oddly enough, one of the go-to whiskey's that pairs exceptionally well with a range of cigars is Four Roses Single Barrel.  Cheap, easily accessible, and pairs beautifully with a fine stick.  That and Redbreast 12 Cask Strength.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    Smoke Wagon has become my go to bourbon lately. Have a bottle of the small batch as well. Good stuff. 

mca47 said:
    mca47 said:
    This weekend...
    Cannot wait!
    Depends on the cigar.  I have some new ones I've never tried before.  I like to pour a few, small, "tasters" to find the one that pairs with that cigar.  Prob a Highland or Speyside, an Irish (thinking Yellow Spot) and a bourbon.
    I only have one cigar a month or so, so I like to make it fun.
    Oddly enough, one of the go-to whiskey's that pairs exceptionally well with a range of cigars is Four Roses Single Barrel.  Cheap, easily accessible, and pairs beautifully with a fine stick.  That and Redbreast 12 Cask Strength.  
    Nice. Hope you enjoy it!
    Just tried this...

And what did you think?  Real
    peatey?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Just tried this...

ISO 

:flushed:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I think I need to pick up an ardbeg 10 tomorrow.  
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    Cheers, happy Friday 

mcgruff10 said:
    And what did you think?  Real
    peatey?
    It was peatey on the nose but not on the palate.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576

Bought this bottle for my old man Christmas 2010. 3 months later he passed...10 years ago today, with a couple weeks notice. Last drink he had we the night before a surgery was out of this bottle. Fuck cancer. Cheers, fellas.

Cheers to you and your dad's memory, @Cliffy6745

I do the same thing every year on the day my dad died. It probably sounds stupid, but that tradition helps me feel connected to him.
    Cheers Cliffy!  Cancer does indeed suck.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    Cheers to you Cliffy!  Cancer is absolutely the fucking worst.  Last weekend was 1 year since my cousin passed and he was the one who really got me into bourbon....had a couple pours of his favorite Basily Hayden in his memory.
    Got to try this today
    12yr old private barrel selection 1 of 81 bottles 
    144 proof!

144 proof?!?!  Jeeezus.  How was it?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    144 is potent. I grabbed a Stagg Jr. today coming in at 131. Looking forward to giving it a spin.