Cancelled!

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    people who are the target of hate speech, I'm sure, would disagree. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2021
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    I don’t think social media itself is the issue; it’s the people using it.

The self-absorption, the hate, the gaffes, the sometime-goodness, the need to be seen or known for anything - that already exists. Social media simply facilitates its communication (and the news mistakes this for actual news, but that’s another story).
    That’s not 100% true.  Social media, Facebook specifically, uses AI software that creates algorithms to manipulate people’s accounts to focus on certain topics...the ones that are going to most effectively elicit an emotional response and general clicks.  It’s disgusting.
    I imagine a bunch of other companies do this too. Hell, my email account is still bombarded by ads for a litter box we purchased two months ago!

As to the amplification issue mentioned, I want those with whom I disagree to speak as loudly and freely as those with whom I do concur. That I might be disgusted by another’s words or actions isn’t worth that sacrifice, to me. 
    That’s the thing, though, you will see less apposing views and more content that aligns with what you are interested in.  Trump supporters get tied to more and more Trump content and less pro-Biden content and so on.  
    If you haven’t seen it yet, Social Dilemma on Netflix explains how the program works better than I can. 
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Are you sure? I’m not.

And I’m not talking about outright threats.

PJP, you’re the third person to recommend that viewing. No Netflix at the moment, unfortunately. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    generally when I say I'm sure, I'm sure. 

of course, I'm not suggesting this is 100%. But I'd guess the vast majority. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2021
    hedonist said:
    Are you sure? I’m not.

And I’m not talking about outright threats.

PJP, you’re the third person to recommend that viewing. No Netflix at the moment, unfortunately. 
    Bummer, it really is eye opening (or was for me).  I mean, I knew there was shady stuff going on, but to hear some of the things straight from the horses mouth (people employed with Facebook) was concerning.  As you said, they are not the only ones manipulating people, but definitely stand out with their technology and how it is essentially operating on its own with little oversight.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Can we add the Joe Biden thread to this list?
  • PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

The self-absorption, the hate, the gaffes, the sometime-goodness, the need to be seen or known for anything - that already exists. Social media simply facilitates its communication (and the news mistakes this for actual news, but that’s another story).
    That’s not 100% true.  Social media, Facebook specifically, uses AI software that creates algorithms to manipulate people’s accounts to focus on certain topics...the ones that are going to most effectively elicit an emotional response and general clicks.  It’s disgusting.
    I imagine a bunch of other companies do this too. Hell, my email account is still bombarded by ads for a litter box we purchased two months ago!

As to the amplification issue mentioned, I want those with whom I disagree to speak as loudly and freely as those with whom I do concur. That I might be disgusted by another’s words or actions isn’t worth that sacrifice, to me. 
    That’s the thing, though, you will see less apposing views and more content that aligns with what you are interested in.  Trump supporters get tied to more and more Trump content and less pro-Biden content and so on.  
    If you haven’t seen it yet, Social Dilemma on Netflix explains how the program works better than I can. 
    I see almost ZERO pro trump posts now after the election. No more links, memes, or posts.  It’s crazy because I’m still friends with people but I just don’t get in the algorithms?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Man oh man, think of all the musicians in the past who would be cancelled today.  For example, John Mayall.  Still alive, of course, but what if he had written "Cancelling Out" in recent days?  Not only would it be super ironic, but imagine the flack he would get for recording this song!  "Yeah I got a bad egg in my hen house/ why I'm gonna cancel out that kind of chick."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Look what they did to Lenny Bruce. For WORDS. 
    edited February 2021
    hedonist said:
    Look what they did to Lenny Bruce. For WORDS. 

Yes, for words!  Freakin' words!  Outrageous!

Edit:  Sorry, I meant fucking words.  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJPOWER said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    Cancelling, political correctness, emoting, playing the victim, victimizing- it's all all over the top.  I think it's all a product of social media.
    Could not agree more, social media is a cancer on society.
    I’ll third that!
    Fourth
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mace1229 said:

explain
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

explain
    It was locked. Without explanation at first, but then reopened after they split a side conversation on student loans into a new thread. Makes sense, but at first I was confused why it was locked and made a joke. Looking back, it wasn’t funny.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

explain
    It was locked. Without explanation at first, but then reopened after they split a side conversation on student loans into a new thread. Makes sense, but at first I was confused why it was locked and made a joke. Looking back, it wasn’t funny.

over 100 posts....... which is why I made the request.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

I see almost ZERO pro trump posts now after the election. No more links, memes, or posts.  It’s crazy because I’m still friends with people but I just don’t get in the algorithms?
    I think a lot of Trump related content is being filtered on most popular platforms and pro-Trump groups are being taken down.  That, and a lot of the hardcore Trump supporters that were spreading false info and memes simply jumped ship to that “other” platform (that is now pretty much gone).  I think many of the hardcore followers are still out there, just propping themselves up on other media options.
    Also, if you never “liked” any of their posts or just ignored them, then they probably didn’t get labeled as one of your interests. 
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

I think a lot of Trump related content is being filtered on most popular platforms and pro-Trump groups are being taken down.  That, and a lot of the hardcore Trump supporters that were spreading false info and memes simply jumped ship to that “other” platform (that is now pretty much gone).  I think many of the hardcore followers are still out there, just propping themselves up on other media options.
    Also, if you never “liked” any of their posts or just ignored them, then they probably didn’t get labeled as one of your interests. 

Yes, they are out there, for sure.  I think a lot of them might be "going underground" so to speak.  This is just a wild guess, but I wonder how many are a bit paranoid that since so many 1/6 rioter have been imprisoned and/ or taken to court, they are a bit afraid of being targeted as extremest (which many are). 

For much of the latter part of 2020 and 2021, here in strongly-leaning El Dorado County, California, I frequently saw many Trump trucks driving around with their huge Trump flags waving from their antennas or poles attached to the bed of their pick up trucks.  I'm seeing far fewer of them.  They seem to have lowered their flag and instead are flying American flags from their homes.  That's ironic because Trump supporters who put on a show of being patriotic are being totally contradictory. 

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

Yes, they are out there, for sure.  I think a lot of them might be "going underground" so to speak.  This is just a wild guess, but I wonder how many are a bit paranoid that since so many 1/6 rioter have been imprisoned and/ or taken to court, they are a bit afraid of being targeted as extremest (which many are). 

For much of the latter part of 2020 and 2021, here in strongly-leaning El Dorado County, California, I frequently saw many Trump trucks driving around with their huge Trump flags waving from their antennas or poles attached to the bed of their pick up trucks.  I'm seeing far fewer of them.  They seem to have lowered their flag and instead are flying American flags from their homes.  That's ironic because Trump supporters who put on a show of being patriotic are being totally contradictory. 
    Patriotic supporters like these guys...

brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

Well, now that Dipshit  has been acquitted well probably see Fuckheads waving their flags again.  Damn shame the state we're in these days.

edited February 2021
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

So you’re saying displaying the trump flag is the same as piling up a bunch of guys in the back and waving (probably illegal fully automatic) assault rifles around?
    I think those caravans were obnoxious. I think I only crossed one once or twice, but a flag is not an illegal firearm.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

So you’re saying displaying the trump flag is the same as piling up a bunch of guys in the back and waving (probably illegal fully automatic) assault rifles around?
    I think those caravans were obnoxious. I think I only crossed one once or twice, but a flag is not an illegal firearm.
    You clearly missed the point
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

You clearly missed the point
    Almost as good of a point as Gina Carano’s...
  • mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

If trump supporters didn’t want to be compared to terrorists, they probably shouldn’t have acted like terrorists these last few years. 
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

If trump supporters didn’t want to be compared to terrorists, they probably shouldn’t have acted like terrorists these last few years. 
    This guy gets it
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    edited February 2021
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

This guy gets it
    We didn’t see half as much outrage from conservatives over Brian Sicknick getting ‘canceled’ as we did Gina Carano. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
    edited February 2021
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

Then show a picture of them storming the Capitol or acting like a terrorist, not waving a flag.
    But seeing how that post was from October, it obviously wasn’t about storming the Capitol. It literally is comparing waving a flag of the opposite party to waving illegal guns.
    I think those caravans were annoying. But this comparison is just lame.
  • mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

Then show a picture of them storming the Capitol or acting like a terrorist, not waving a flag.
    But seeing how that post was from October, it obviously wasn’t about storming the Capitol. It literally is comparing waving a flag of the opposite party to waving illegal guns.
    & trump supporters stormed the Michigan capitol with their guns back in the spring. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/michigan-open-carry-laws-legal-protesters-guns-at-state-capitol-2020-5

Boo hoo, people who act like terrorists are being compared to terrorists. 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

& trump supporters stormed the Michigan capitol with their guns back in the spring. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/michigan-open-carry-laws-legal-protesters-guns-at-state-capitol-2020-5

And I’m betting that guy was none of those people in the picture. When people complained about the riots this summer everyone is quick to quote the study that said 97% of the protesters were peaceful. But those same people are quick to call 74 million people terrorists based on what 1 guy did here?
    edited February 2021
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

Again, you’re judging 74 million people based on the actions of very few. Almost no one supported the storming of the Capitol or the plan in Michigan.
    I don’t recall people calling all Biden/Obama supporters terrorists when 1 guy shot up a congressional baseball game. That was clearly a left-wing terrorist act. But we all recognize he represents just a tiny fraction. 
    Many here are quick to judge everyone who didn’t support Biden and call them all terrorists and racist based on the actions of a relatively small portion. All 74 million of them. They are diving the country just as much as Trump did by continuing to do so.
    The purpose of that meme by comparing a trump flag to an illegal assault rifle is comparing all trump voters to radical terrorists. Even the 99.99% who were against the storming and kidnapping.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

Boo hoo, lol, I agree.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

Again, you’re judging 74 million people based on the actions of very few. Almost no one supported the storming of the Capitol or the plan in Michigan.
    I don’t recall people calling all Biden/Obama supporters terrorists when 1 guy shot up a congressional baseball game. That was clearly a left-wing terrorist act. But we all recognize he represents just a tiny fraction. 
    Many here are quick to judge everyone who didn’t support Biden and call them all terrorists and racist based on the actions of a relatively small portion. All 74 million of them. They are diving the country just as much as Trump did by continuing to do so.
    The purpose of that meme by comparing a trump flag to an illegal assault rifle is comparing all trump voters to radical terrorists. Even the 99.99% who were against the storming and kidnapping.

"Almost no one supported the storming of the Capitol"

Surely you're joking?  Can we start with the ex POTUS and go from there?