Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited February 2021
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

4 miles after work. Sometimes you just have to stop and take it in a while.
    Beautiful. Your view was much nicer than my treadmill view today. Is it cold where you are. I felt like I could have handled the temperature outside. However, the sidewalks are still icy in spots, so I need to wait until it all melts.

It was around -2°c at about 5pm here. Were having bit of a cold snap at the moment, we rarely have consistent weather here in England. Tonight will get to -8°c, which where I live is pretty cold and rare. We have had so much rain this winter, lots of miserable weather and flooding.
    Your weather is a bit colder than here in New York today. It is 36 degrees Fahrenheit here. If it keeps the snow should be all melted soon, though we do have a chance of snow tomorrow as well. I basically see a treadmill in my future for the next month. Ugh.

• crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

4 miles after work. Sometimes you just have to stop and take it in a while.
    Beautiful. Your view was much nicer than my treadmill view today. Is it cold where you are. I felt like I could have handled the temperature outside. However, the sidewalks are still icy in spots, so I need to wait until it all melts.

It was around -2°c at about 5pm here. Were having bit of a cold snap at the moment, we rarely have consistent weather here in England. Tonight will get to -8°c, which where I live is pretty cold and rare. We have had so much rain this winter, lots of miserable weather and flooding.
    Your weather is a bit colder than here in New York today. It is 36 degrees Fahrenheit here. If it keeps the snow should be all melted soon, though we do have a chance of snow tomorrow as well. I basically see a treadmill in my future for the next month. Ugh.

Weird thing... I miss snow. Lol
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I h8 snow.
    (Grew up in VT)
    Snow = devil.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Up to 15 minutes running, 15 walking, alternating each minute.  Ankle/foot feels fine, swelling is minor and expected.  Cardio needs improvement, but it was really tough to not keep going when the clock hit 30 minutes.  Wanted to put 10 in a row up, at pace.
    Think I am w/in a few weeks of being let off the chain.  (Hoping so...)
    Up to 15 minutes running, 15 walking, alternating each minute.  Ankle/foot feels fine, swelling is minor and expected.  Cardio needs improvement, but it was really tough to not keep going when the clock hit 30 minutes.  Wanted to put 10 in a row up, at pace.
    Great. That is quite an improvement in a short period of time. Your cardio will come back. I also hope you are back to running soon. At this rate, it should be warm enough for you to run outside.

And totally unrelated to running, but still about fitness - I took a yoga class yesterday for the first time in a few months. I have had a very regular weekly yoga practice for over 10 years. Since the studio is closed, my teacher holds live classes on Zoom. It was hard for me to get into them since my apartment space is fairly small, my cat is overly attracted to my yoga mat and gets in my way, and I don't feel like I have enough room to do a headstand without hitting a piece of furniture if I were to fall forward (which happens once in a while). So, I stopped taking the zoom classes and focused more on running and weight training at the gym. Yesterday, I decided to take a yoga class again. I realized how much I missed yoga. But what surprised me most was how sore I was this morning. I don't think I have been sore from yoga in 8 years or so. It made me realize that it must be targeting muscles that I am missing during weight training - so the lesson is - mix it up a bit. I think I will continue to do Zoom yoga at least once a week. I can't wait until the yoga studio gets to reopen.

• I'll start running again march 1st. 

Pu that in your pipe and smoke it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    GlowGirl said:
    Great. That is quite an improvement in a short period of time. Your cardio will come back. I also hope you are back to running soon. At this rate, it should be warm enough for you to run outside.

And totally unrelated to running, but still about fitness - I took a yoga class yesterday for the first time in a few months. I have had a very regular weekly yoga practice for over 10 years. Since the studio is closed, my teacher holds live classes on Zoom. It was hard for me to get into them since my apartment space is fairly small, my cat is overly attracted to my yoga mat and gets in my way, and I don't feel like I have enough room to do a headstand without hitting a piece of furniture if I were to fall forward (which happens once in a while). So, I stopped taking the zoom classes and focused more on running and weight training at the gym. Yesterday, I decided to take a yoga class again. I realized how much I missed yoga. But what surprised me most was how sore I was this morning. I don't think I have been sore from yoga in 8 years or so. It made me realize that it must be targeting muscles that I am missing during weight training - so the lesson is - mix it up a bit. I think I will continue to do Zoom yoga at least once a week. I can't wait until the yoga studio gets to reopen.

Hope so (warm up outside soon) - but I would settle for a heavy session on the dreadmill, although I am sure I will start bitching about it soon thereafter!

Awesome that you got a yoga session in.  One of my best friends was very into it - guessing he is the same way since pandemic.  Had not seen him for months when we met up at his bachelor party in the bayou and I remember asking him what his workout was since he was clearly very fit.  He shared he was fully into yoga as his way of getting into great shape for the wedding pictures, etc...said it whopped him in a way that his regular surfing sessions even didn't work him over.
    I tinkered with the idea but did not go there.  Perhaps at some point.  My flexibility is horrible and I'm sure that once I got into it there would be great rewards for how things feel.  Main drawback is needing to go somewhere to learn/practice yoga. 

Hopefully your studio will reopen soon. 

Do you do the crazy hot yoga?
    I'll start running again march 1st. 

Not a sarcastic question, a real one......why March 1st?
    Why not today?  Or, tomorrow?  Or, Monday?

• I'll start running again march 1st. 

Not a sarcastic question, a real one......why March 1st?
    Why not today?  Or, tomorrow?  Or, Monday?

This makes me wait :)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Oh, that is a good reason.  If you do not have a treadmill then don't wipeout in the snow and ice.
    You can go for quick walks, get the cardio going.
    GlowGirl said:

Hope so (warm up outside soon) - but I would settle for a heavy session on the dreadmill, although I am sure I will start bitching about it soon thereafter!

Awesome that you got a yoga session in.  One of my best friends was very into it - guessing he is the same way since pandemic.  Had not seen him for months when we met up at his bachelor party in the bayou and I remember asking him what his workout was since he was clearly very fit.  He shared he was fully into yoga as his way of getting into great shape for the wedding pictures, etc...said it whopped him in a way that his regular surfing sessions even didn't work him over.
    I tinkered with the idea but did not go there.  Perhaps at some point.  My flexibility is horrible and I'm sure that once I got into it there would be great rewards for how things feel.  Main drawback is needing to go somewhere to learn/practice yoga. 

Hopefully your studio will reopen soon. 

Do you do the crazy hot yoga?
    Running on the treadmill is better than no running at all. So, try to enjoy it when you get the chance.

I wasn't very flexible when I first started yoga. I could barely touch my toes. Now I can touch the floor. Just like running, you make progress as you go along. It took me almost a year to be able to do a decent forearm stand. If you get a chance, you should try it sometime. Maybe wait until yoga studios open so you can take a beginner class and get some hands on feedback on your form, etc. You may like it.

I don't do hot yoga. I think it would make me feel sick. I do Vinyasa yoga - which is basically a flow yoga. Finally being able to do this was the most awesome:

That is pretty cool.  My wife encouraged the same approach.  Perhaps at some point.
    Night and then morning session.
    Gotta get er cranked up!

Night and then morning session.
    Gotta get er cranked up!

Looks like you have a theme to your playlist. Hope it got you through the workout. 

Managed a 5 mile run and and then another mile walk on the treadmill today. Listened to a bunch of songs from Gigaton. SBWM, DOtC, and Buckle Up are surprisingly good for running. Nice rhythm to them. 
    No theme intended....just rocking music and some Peaches.
    ;)
    Awesome work!  Buckle Up would put me to sleep while running.  It puts me asleep while sleeping.  :lol:
    I do have the first three songs on various run lists - SuperbloodDumbLyrics is my favorite to run to from this record.
    Also ...headbanging to Toxicity is somewhat dangerous going 7 mph on the dreadmill.  :lol:
  • GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Running on the treadmill is better than no running at all. So, try to enjoy it when you get the chance.

I wasn't very flexible when I first started yoga. I could barely touch my toes. Now I can touch the floor. Just like running, you make progress as you go along. It took me almost a year to be able to do a decent forearm stand. If you get a chance, you should try it sometime. Maybe wait until yoga studios open so you can take a beginner class and get some hands on feedback on your form, etc. You may like it.

I don't do hot yoga. I think it would make me feel sick. I do Vinyasa yoga - which is basically a flow yoga. Finally being able to do this was the most awesome:

Amazing @GlowGirl :):):) I've never tried hot yoga either but people at work have spoken about trying it.
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Amazing @GlowGirl :):):) I've never tried hot yoga either but people at work have spoken about trying it.
    Thanks. I miss doing these forearm stands. Not really enough space in my apartment if I were to fall forward. If you do hot yoga don’t do Bikram. Besides the fact that it sounds boring  - the routine never changes - the guy who started it has some serious sexual assault history. 

Thread integrity- I do think that my years of yoga has helped my running in terms of my joints. Many of my friends don’t run because of knee or hip pain. Yoga keeps your joints quite limber and flexible. I can’t say for sure that is why - but I haven’t had any joint pain while running - except for ankle pain when I first started. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    No theme intended....just rocking music and some Peaches.
    ;)
    Awesome work!  Buckle Up would put me to sleep while running.  It puts me asleep while sleeping.  :lol:
    I do have the first three songs on various run lists - SuperbloodDumbLyrics is my favorite to run to from this record.
    No One Knows is a great running song!  Most of the rock from that period is pretty good for running, I call it all 'staccato rock' lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Yeah, I want a song with a beat
    Hell yea, man! 
  • @GlowGirl Same here. I'm still quite flexible because of all the yoga I've done over the years. I'd love to get into running again, maybe when the temperature changes xxx
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    No time like the present to take part in the latest thing - sock feet running in the snow, courtesy of the Finns. I like that they admit that, as a nation, they are bonkers. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-finland-weather-snow-running/weary-of-covid-restrictions-finns-take-up-running-in-deep-snow-in-socks-idUSKBN2AF1GH

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Finns keen to avoid gyms and other indoor sports venues this winter because of the coronavirus pandemic have found a new way to keep fit - running in the snow wearing no training shoes, just thick woollen socks.

Finland has seen particularly heavy snowfall this winter and running outside in just socks provides great exercise as well as a sense of freedom, said Pekka Parviainen, a helicopter pilot and an avid barefoot runner.

“This is traditional Finnish crazy stuff, I think we all agree,” said Parviainen while out running with a group in Nuuksio national park, 35 kilometers (20 miles) from the capital Helsinki.

“And it’s really the happiness side. I mean it’s very good sport, strong exercise and everything, but it really is the happiness,” he added.

In Finland, where taking a sauna in winter and then running through snow to jump into an ice-cold lake is a traditional pastime, barefoot running has become popular in the past few years during the warmer months.

Running in socks through heavy snow, now about half a metre deep in many places, takes this to the next level.

“You can do it quite light or you can do it really heavy in the deep snow as we did now. But the feeling afterwards is just great. You have had a good foot massage,” Parviainen said, because your feet are not tightly “packaged” in trainers.

There is no shortage of warm woollen socks as many Finns have taken to knitting during long winter lockdowns.

Parviainen recommends wearing at least two, preferably three, pairs of woollen socks to get the most out of the run.

Reporting by Essi Lehto; Additional reporting by Attila Cser on Reuters Television; Editing by Gareth Jones

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    No time like the present to take part in the latest thing - sock feet running in the snow, courtesy of the Finns. I like that they admit that, as a nation, they are bonkers. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-finland-weather-snow-running/weary-of-covid-restrictions-finns-take-up-running-in-deep-snow-in-socks-idUSKBN2AF1GH

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Finns keen to avoid gyms and other indoor sports venues this winter because of the coronavirus pandemic have found a new way to keep fit - running in the snow wearing no training shoes, just thick woollen socks.

Finland has seen particularly heavy snowfall this winter and running outside in just socks provides great exercise as well as a sense of freedom, said Pekka Parviainen, a helicopter pilot and an avid barefoot runner.

“This is traditional Finnish crazy stuff, I think we all agree,” said Parviainen while out running with a group in Nuuksio national park, 35 kilometers (20 miles) from the capital Helsinki.

“And it’s really the happiness side. I mean it’s very good sport, strong exercise and everything, but it really is the happiness,” he added.

In Finland, where taking a sauna in winter and then running through snow to jump into an ice-cold lake is a traditional pastime, barefoot running has become popular in the past few years during the warmer months.

Running in socks through heavy snow, now about half a metre deep in many places, takes this to the next level.

“You can do it quite light or you can do it really heavy in the deep snow as we did now. But the feeling afterwards is just great. You have had a good foot massage,” Parviainen said, because your feet are not tightly “packaged” in trainers.

There is no shortage of warm woollen socks as many Finns have taken to knitting during long winter lockdowns.

Parviainen recommends wearing at least two, preferably three, pairs of woollen socks to get the most out of the run.

Reporting by Essi Lehto; Additional reporting by Attila Cser on Reuters Television; Editing by Gareth Jones

I have read about this. It does not look appealing to me. I would think that putting on several pairs of wool socks would feel more constricting than a pair of running shoes. Also, who knows what’s buried under that snow that you could step on. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've been out in deep snow in thick wool socks before and it does feel amazing on your feet!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I love the idea but also would be concerned about what I was stepping on.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Those Finns don’t have any garbage - I’m sure they compost or recycle everything :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • That looks like it would be fun to try out and it's lovely how the Finnish guy equates this with happiness.  
    Never had a need for one of those HR/GPS watches, still don't.. but I looked into them a couple days ago. Just wanna say holy shit. Some of em are much more expensive than laptops.
    18 mins running / 12 mins walking....will move to 20/10 in a few days. 
    Breathing still needs work but day by day, getting closer.  Feels good to go 2.5 miles - cannot wait to rip off 5.  Know I need to be smart and keep things moving up in small increments.

Anyone have any races upcoming?

What I had on the schedule:
    St Pat's Boardwalk 10 Miler - cancelled
    Broad Street Run (10 Miler) moved from May to Fall, date tbd
    Harpoon 5k - usually in Sept, no word yet
    Moved the Run The Bridge (10k) a bit out to Nov 7
    Philadelphia Marathon still set for Nov 21
    No idea when I am going to do the 50k or 50 miler.  Guessing that is going to need to be solo.

Ideally there would be an event a month to make the training for the long runs more fun.
    Fucking Covid.