Marjorie Taylor Greene

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    mickeyrat said:
    At least it wasn't purely for the jokes...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    for a while i have been thinking they need to expel her from congress.

now i am thinking maybe the dems should let her stay and then use her to make money for 2022 and 2024 candidates. if they expel her she becomes a martyr and a way for the gop to fundraise vs dems in the upcoming elections.

i hate our system..

I think about this post almost ever time I see this thread.  I'm starting to think it has a lot of merit.  (I could say that about most of gimme's posts!) 

Yeah, leave her in there.  She can only make her twisted faction of the Republican party look like fools.  I really feel badly for the folks who are involved in the Lincoln Project and for other moderate Republicans.  Maybe if the likes of Greene are left in place, the more intelligent members of the party will start (or continue) their own rebellion against such foolishness and we can go back to having a reasonable two parties again.
    ....or you let her become part of the established party and risk her becoming Trump 2.0. it's a fine line, and a risky one. the longer she's there, the more normalized she becomes. the more normalized she becomes, the easier it will be for other republicans to start latching onto some of her tactics to try to get their voices heard. 
    What you're describing is a recipe for disaster for the republican party. 
    74 million people disagree with you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    It's very telling that her party won't do anything about it.  She is just like a lot of people in this country.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    brianlux said:

now i am thinking maybe the dems should let her stay and then use her to make money for 2022 and 2024 candidates. if they expel her she becomes a martyr and a way for the gop to fundraise vs dems in the upcoming elections.

i hate our system..

I think about this post almost ever time I see this thread.  I'm starting to think it has a lot of merit.  (I could say that about most of gimme's posts!) 

Yeah, leave her in there.  She can only make her twisted faction of the Republican party look like fools.  I really feel badly for the folks who are involved in the Lincoln Project and for other moderate Republicans.  Maybe if the likes of Greene are left in place, the more intelligent members of the party will start (or continue) their own rebellion against such foolishness and we can go back to having a reasonable two parties again.
    ....or you let her become part of the established party and risk her becoming Trump 2.0. it's a fine line, and a risky one. the longer she's there, the more normalized she becomes. the more normalized she becomes, the easier it will be for other republicans to start latching onto some of her tactics to try to get their voices heard. 
    81 million, the house, the senate, and the presidency all agree with me. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:

i hate our system..

That math doesn’t make anyone in America a winner sadly.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited February 2021
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

i hate our system..

That math doesn’t make anyone in America a winner sadly.
    True. It, however, does make things a whole hell of a lot more difficult for one party as compared to the other...if they play their cards right.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    cutz said:

Yep, super nutty and super full of bullshit because the only god she would "bow to" is her inflated maniacal ego.  If she really does have a capital "H" Him as her god, I want nothing to do with that sum'bitch because "He" would likely be the god of Hate. 

Ugh, creepy phony religious fanatics are the worst. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    edited February 2021

That's what it sounds like, but in reality it's someone who, according to reports, got a standing ovation from roughly 50% of house republicans yesterday.

She's a hero to many conservatives. Just like Trump. 

That's what it sounds like, but in reality it's someone who, according to reports, got a standing ovation from roughly 50% of house republicans yesterday.

She's a hero to many conservatives. Just like Trump. 
    Good. The campaign ads are writing themselves. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    mickeyrat said:
    At least it wasn't purely for the jokes...

This weekend we rock Portland
  • This Jewish Space laser thing is hysterical.
    Image result for jewish Death Star space laser
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

got a standing ovation from roughly 50% of house republicans yesterday.

Even from Madison Cawthorn?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    She literally is typing about herself and the current GOP.

1) Tweet about rioters and occupying federal buildings....ummmm Jan 6th
    2) Tweet about sleeping with the enemy (white supremacists) and marrying your brother (HELLO red state support from the south and West Virginia!)

hippiemom = goodness
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    This Jewish Space laser thing is hysterical.
    Why use lasers when they could have just used The Schwartz?
    brianlux said:

i hate our system..

i'm aware of that. we all thought the same in 2016, however. 4 years and a fickle national memory is a long time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

i hate our system..

i'm aware of that. we all thought the same in 2016, however. 4 years and a fickle national memory is a long time. 
    And 2022 is far from a guarantee that they keep the senate for sure. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:

i hate our system..

With any luck, Hillary Clinton will not be ion the ticket in 2024. 

What kind of republican would you want to run against? One who is rational that appeals to suburban voters who ran away from Donald Trump in droves and was the reason they lost the house, senate and presidency? Or a whack job like Marge and Trump who will continue that trend?

It's an easy choice. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Finally....it appears as if the dems are ready to play hardball. This is a really smart move

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/02/qanon-gop-465157

House Dems move to yoke GOP to QAnon

"They can do QAnon, or they can do college-educated voters. They cannot do both."

Supporters of US President Donald Trump fly a US flag with a symbol from the group QAnon as they gather outside the US Capitol

Supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump fly a U.S. flag with a symbol from the group QAnon as they gather outside the U.S. Capitol. | crats are preparing to center their strategy for the far-off midterm elections on a simple, aggressive message: Republicans are the party of QAnon.

Making an unusually early move to protect their narrow majority, House Democrats' campaign arm on Tuesday launched its first TV ad campaign, spotlighting supporters of the fringe conspiracy theory — including those who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. It is the first step in a larger plan, orchestrated by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's new chair, Sean Patrick Maloney of New York, to exploit the growing friction between Trump hard-liners and establishment Republicans in the GOP base, which Maloney sees as a major weak point for the party.

"If Kevin McCarthy wants to take his party to ‘crazy town’ and follow these dangerous ideas, he shouldn't expect to do well in the next election,” Maloney told POLITICO in an interview previewing the party's strategy, referring to the House minority leader. “And it's important to the country that the Democratic Party continues to be the responsible adult.”

Maloney said the campaign message crystallized after the pro-Trump siege on Jan. 6, which was fueled, in part, by false internet theories. “It was at the heart of the violent attack on the Capitol, but it had its roots going back years,” he said.

The new chair has the unenviable task of shielding a razor-thin Democratic majority during a redistricting cycle and a midterm election, when the president’s party typically loses seats. But he’s betting Democrats can mount a successful offensive using the kind of culture-war attacks the GOP ruthlessly deployed against Democrats last cycle — including the barrage of “defund the police” ads that forced moderates to run away from their party’s far left.

The GOP’s waffling on QAnon has been on full display in recent days, as party leaders struggle to contain the fallout from the extremist rhetoric of freshman Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.). McCarthy has been largely silent as Democrats have moved to sanction her. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, however, took the highly unusual step of denouncing a House member, a move Democrats say underscores the GOP’s split.

"They can do QAnon, or they can do college-educated voters. They cannot do both,” Maloney said.

The DCCC's $500,000 TV and digital ad campaign will run in the districts of seven vulnerable Republicans: Reps. Mike Garcia, Young Kim and Michelle Steel of California; Maria Elvira Salazar of Florida; Don Bacon of Nebraska; Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania; and Beth Van Duyne of Texas. The spots use footage of rioters storming the Capitol and accuses Republican members of standing "with Q not you."

POLITICO DISPATCH: FEBRUARY 3

Go big. Go fast. And, if need be, go without the GOP. That’s been President Joe Biden’s credo while signing a record number of executive actions during his first days in office.

Party strategists are betting the right's embrace of the far-fetched conspiracy theory will be politically toxic and hamper their efforts to win back the House in 2022. Already, Democrats are seeing encouraging signs: Challengers in Republican-held districts are beginning to jump off the sidelines, citing the attack last month as a motivation for running.

“Republicans have done a hell of a thing by motivating really top-tier quality candidates to raise their hand,” said Tim Persico, the DCCC's executive director. “The events of Jan. 6, and the subsequent coddling of QAnon and the refusal to take any responsibility — I think that that has had a profound impact on people's interest in running.”

Democratic recruiters said they’ve heard increased interest from potential challengers to Fitzpatrick, Garcia, Bacon and Reps. Lee Zeldin (R-N.Y.), John Katko (R-N.Y.) and Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) since the attack on the Capitol. A few others have already formally declared their bids, part of what Maloney described as a “game-changer” for recruitment.

One of those newly launched Democratic candidates is Jay Chen, a lieutenant commander in the Navy Reserves, who lost his race for an Orange County-based seat in 2012. He thought he might return to politics one day, but after watching the events of Jan. 6 and Kim's decision not to impeach then-President Donald Trump, he quickly launched a campaign against her — an unusually early move in the January right after an election.

Chen was a Naval intelligence officer stationed in Kuwait when a Shiite militia stormed the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad in December 2019, attacks that he monitored in real time. He said he experienced déjà vu watching domestic terrorists invade the seat of U.S. government.

“If this was orchestrated by any other country, this attack on the Capitol, it would have been considered an act of war,” Chen said, arguing the U.S. would have retaliated. “But because these were Trump supporters, because this was incited by the president, then all of a sudden patriotism is thrown out the window. Accountability is thrown out the window. And the No. 1 consideration is partisan politics and not offending Trump's base. And that’s wrong.”

A focus on the riots and QAnon marks a shift from Democrats' messaging in recent elections, which has been more squarely focused on health care and the economy — even as Republicans lobbed attacks claiming Democrats wanted to shrink law enforcement budgets or ban private health insurance. Many Democrats blamed at least part of their unexpected losses last year on those GOP attacks.

Maloney argues there’s a big difference between the GOP’s attacks in 2020, which exaggerated Democrats’ position on policing reform and other issues, to the Democrats’ attacks against QAnon.

"Their characterization of our party in the last election was a lie and an effort to demagogue,” Maloney said. “What I'm talking about is a clear-eyed description of the power Marjorie Taylor Greene and others have right now in that caucus.”

Democrats want Republicans to spend the off year answering for Q-curious members such as Greene and Boebert, as well as the 139 House members who voted to block certification of the election results just hours after a violent pro-Trump mob overtook the Capitol.

They see an opening against many of those members — including Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.), whom witnesses said nearly stoked a fistfight on the floor the night of the Jan. 6 attack.

Harris’ current eastern Maryland district is overwhelmingly Republican. But Democrats in Annapolis could draw a new congressional map that makes his district more competitive, and would-be challengers are ready to take advantage. Heather Mizeur, a 2014 Democratic candidate for governor and former congressional staffer and state legislator, said she had not been considering a return to politics until Jan. 6, after which she decided to challenge Harris: “It was like waking a hibernating bear. It’s like my fiercest mama bear came out.”

Mizeur said what Harris did in the aftermath of the riot — including violating House rules by attempting to bring a gun to the floor, just days after the siege — “compelled me into the race. It could not stand unchallenged.”

GOP campaign officials, meanwhile, have brushed off the Democratic line of attack, arguing that many Americans are not familiar with the intricacies of QAnon — whose followers believe Trump was secretly battling a cabal of Satan-worshiping child sex traffickers who worked in the “deep state” of his administration.

The real threats of QAnon, Republicans say, aren’t as readily apparent to the average voter, unlike Democrats’ policy proposals like policing or health care reforms.

And they point out that all but 17 Republicans voted to condemn QAnon in a floor vote last fall. The three non-freshman Republican members targeted in the ad campaign voted against it.

“We are going to continue hammering House Democrats for their job-killing, socialist agenda and leave elevating fringe conspiracies to the DCCC,” said Michael McAdams, an NRCC spokesperson. “If anyone wants to know which strategy is more effective, just look at last cycle’s House results,” he said, noting that Republicans won 28 out of the 29 races that handicappers rated as the most competitive going into Election Day.

But DCCC officials say they’ve studied polling on fringe groups like QAnon and found the issue does register with most voters: A poll conducted on behalf of the DCCC by two Democratic pollsters found that 68 percent of voters surveyed in battleground districts were familiar with QAnon — and that it had unfavorable rating of 63 percent.

“The American people are knowledgeable about QAnon and know it’s dangerous,” Maloney said.

Democrats, broadly speaking, say they expect Republicans to grapple with their ties to conspiracy theorists throughout the next two years, with Greene’s profile only rising in her first month in Congress as a trove of offensive comments she made resurfaces. And that could be crucial to turning out Democratic voters in a midterm just two years after their House candidates lost seats despite President Joe Biden’s win.

“Happy, healthy voters don't show up to vote in midterms. It’s the pissed-off, angry ones,” said Ian Russell, a Democratic strategist who works with several endangered House Democrats. “Who do you really want in charge? Do you want Joe Biden and the Democrats, or this cast of crazy? It’s not just QAnon. It’s the whole package. Republicans have thrown us a midterm lifeline that we might not have had otherwise.”

chinese-happy.jpg
    brianlux said:

i hate our system..

after trump the senate should have been 60/40. dem's barely squeaked by with a tie breaker. and they lost house seats. 

all I'm gonna say is, biden better keep fucking busy the next 2 years. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    She literally is typing about herself and the current GOP.

1) Tweet about rioters and occupying federal buildings....ummmm Jan 6th
    2) Tweet about sleeping with the enemy (white supremacists) and marrying your brother (HELLO red state support from the south and West Virginia!)

Or Gloucester, Mass.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    GIF by Tras la Cmara

brianlux said:

i hate our system..

after trump the senate should have been 60/40. dem's barely squeaked by with a tie breaker. and they lost house seats. 

Umm, yeah, there was a below zero chance of the dems getting 60 seats no matter who the president was unless you thought they had a realistic chance of gaining seats in places like Tennessee and Wyoming and Montana lol. 

Best case scenario for them was flipping maybe 6 seats. They ended up flipped 4 and gained the majority for the first time since Obama's first term. That, my friend is called a success. And, again, for the first time since Hoover, they became the first party to win back the house, senate, and presidency in a president's first time. But, sure, continue to downplay it....

The house is another story. I'll argue the fact that barely kept the house was because the republicans successfully branded all dems as socialists who wanted to get rid of police departments. That was a complete lie but it is actually an argument for the dems getting aggressive with trying to brand all republicans as crazy qanon conspiracy theorists or brand them as folks who tolerate such nonsense. 

This vote today plays DIRECTLY into the democrats hands. Get them all on record and then run endless ads through 2022. Bang. Done. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    FiveBelow said:
    GIF by Tras la Cmara

Yet another tragic loss in 2020 - Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money was slated to be released last year.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    brianlux said:

i hate our system..

Umm, yeah, there was a below zero chance of the dems getting 60 seats no matter who the president was unless you thought they had a realistic chance of gaining seats in places like Tennessee and Wyoming and Montana lol. 

Best case scenario for them was flipping maybe 6 seats. They ended up flipped 4 and gained the majority for the first time since Obama's first term. That, my friend is called a success. And, again, for the first time since Hoover, they became the first party to win back the house, senate, and presidency in a president's first time. But, sure, continue to downplay it....

The house is another story. I'll argue the fact that barely kept the house was because the republicans successfully branded all dems as socialists who wanted to get rid of police departments. That was a complete lie but it is actually an argument for the dems getting aggressive with trying to brand all republicans as crazy qanon conspiracy theorists or brand them as folks who tolerate such nonsense. 

This vote today plays DIRECTLY into the democrats hands. Get them all on record and then run endless ads through 2022. Bang. Done. 

I'm not downplaying anything. I'm saying that biden needs to get shit done in 2 years, because it's likely in 2 years he won't hold the majority in the senate anymore, and we all know where all the power lies. and depending on who the nom's are in 2024, it could easily swing back the white house. 

I've been hearing about the "impending destruction of the GOP" for a very long time. let me know when that actually happens. trump shouldn't have gotten MORE votes than he did in 2016. but here we are. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

i hate our system..

I'm not downplaying anything. I'm saying that biden needs to get shit done in 2 years, because it's likely in 2 years he won't hold the majority in the senate anymore, and we all know where all the power lies. and depending on who the nom's are in 2024, it could easily swing back the white house. 

I've been hearing about the "impending destruction of the GOP" for a very long time. let me know when that actually happens. trump shouldn't have gotten MORE votes than he did in 2016. but here we are. 
    Yup.  The GOP is dead...the original form...but the party is still there and is a threat to the senate, etc.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • See, MJT is just a victim you guys. It’s not her fault she believes this bullshit. 

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    See, MJT is just a victim you guys. It’s not her fault she believes this bullshit. 

I was allowed to believe..... riiiiiight
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14