I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    NEVER go to the record store when someone pays back a sizable loan. IN CASH...... trust me...

I keep forgetting that Clash album was the influence to the PJ tour sticker...

Also Kill em All is better than Ride.

and Master is better than both.
    I agree but if I want a more raw sounding Metallica I put on Kill.  The bass and distortion on that album are top notch while listening through a good sound system.
  • toolie said:
    Any LCD Soundsystem fans, this is on Amazon.ca for like $15 right now. Double vinyl. 
    This was their last album which I never did purchase...
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    mickeyrat said:
    I went to a funeral near Cincinnati Friday. The next day before we headed home we stopped at a couple of record stores. I got the Iron Maiden from Facebook. 

was one of the stores the plaid room?
    Yes, I went to Plaid Room, Black Plastic and Everybody's.
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    If you’re a Sting fan I highly recommend this pressing which is the 1/2 speed Abbey Road remaster. It sounds incredible. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,418
    edited February 2021
    used to own in another life.

glad to have found it again. The Pusher.... 21 minute version.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388

• toolie said:

I have a question for Saxophone fans. What do you like about it?  The scales?  The The ability to play from sharp to flat?

I find it a very boring instrument but sometimes something gets played that I truly enjoy.  I used to play sax so when I hear things that people go nuts over I just shrug.

Very curious as it's not nearly as boring as bagpipes, lol.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    toolie said:

I have a question for Saxophone fans. What do you like about it?  The scales?  The The ability to play from sharp to flat?

I find it a very boring instrument but sometimes something gets played that I truly enjoy.  I used to play sax so when I hear things that people go nuts over I just shrug.

It's simple for me.  I enjoy the lower tones compared to the trumpet.  That Sonny Rollins record is great, but Dexter Gordon is my favorite, maybe even a little higher than Coltrane. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    toolie said:

It's simple for me.  I enjoy the lower tones compared to the trumpet.  That Sonny Rollins record is great, but Dexter Gordon is my favorite, maybe even a little higher than Coltrane. 
    Perfect.  Thanks!  I'll take it a step further.  Do you like it leading the band or in the background?

Take 5 is an utter masterpiece but other things I hear just don't move me.  The range on Take 5 is what I truly like.  I don't like when people slur the scales up and down.  I find that to be lazy playing.
    mrussel1 said:
    toolie said:

Perfect.  Thanks!  I'll take it a step further.  Do you like it leading the band or in the background?

Take 5 is an utter masterpiece but other things I hear just don't move me.  The range on Take 5 is what I truly like.  I don't like when people slur the scales up and down.  I find that to be lazy playing.
    That's a good question. I think people focus on the leading instruments but I do less so. What I really enjoy about jazz (on vinyl in particular) and with my setup is the clear air between instruments.  So while one might like Time Out because of the piano lead, I am just as likely to be focused on the other instruments during listening sessions.  When I listen to A Love Supreme, which is obviously very heavy sax, I spend the whole B side focused on the bass.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    toolie said:

That's a good question. I think people focus on the leading instruments but I do less so. What I really enjoy about jazz (on vinyl in particular) and with my setup is the clear air between instruments.  So while one might like Time Out because of the piano lead, I am just as likely to be focused on the other instruments during listening sessions.  When I listen to A Love Supreme, which is obviously very heavy sax, I spend the whole B side focused on the bass.  
    Very cool TY.

When I listen to something I try and focus on a different instrument each time and dissect the piece from a whole.  There may be just a note or two that makes a song for me, I'm that easily amused, lol.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    toolie said:

Very cool TY.

When I listen to something I try and focus on a different instrument each time and dissect the piece from a whole.  There may be just a note or two that makes a song for me, I'm that easily amused, lol.
    To me, that's the beauty of jazz, particularly small bands like trios and quartets.  You can really pick out those details. I dig the Foo Fighters, but it's a wall of guitars at the end of the day.  That's great sometimes, but not after work when I spin some vinyl and relax. 
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    toolie said:

I like the sax because it can float so easily between low and high in the mix depending on the song and how it's used and I like how it can be used in rock music like the Rolling Stones, E Street Band, and DMB without having it overpower the other instruments.  I love some jazz sax too because it can set a mood and tell a story without any words. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    toolie said:

I like the sax because it can float so easily between low and high in the mix depending on the song and how it's used and I like how it can be used in rock music like the Rolling Stones, E Street Band, and DMB without having it overpower the other instruments.  I love some jazz sax too because it can set a mood and tell a story without any words. 
    You forgot Huey Lewis and the News!!
    Or the real miss... Clarence,  the Big Man
    mrussel1 said:
    I said the E Street Band. If memory serves me correct, he was a part of that band :) 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I said the E Street Band. If memory serves me correct, he was a part of that band :) 
    Oops!  Missed that!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Gonna have soon poppin sax work tonight!

mrussel1 said:

I've had this for a while now. It's really great you will enjoy it. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:

I've had this for a while now. It's really great you will enjoy it. 
    I've read nice things!  There are so many great releases,  it's hard and expensive to keep up
  • mrussel1 said:

Is everyone going to post actual good sax songs?

I will check these out!
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Colin Stetson is fantastic and plays a big weird sax. He’s done some soundtrack work lately (Colour out of Space is awesome) but this is the album that got me into his music. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    toolie said:

Interesting question. 
    I like the versatility of saxophone music.  Great sax playing covers miles of territory, from very smooth, relaxing, warm tone sax playing by people like Stan Getz and Ben Webster (and John Coltrane's ballads), to really classy, well versed players like Sonny Rollins and Paul Desmond, to more edgy, outside-the-box players like Ornette Coleman or Sam Rivers, to force of nature players like (not that there are any quite like) John Coltrane, to full blown, highly emotive players like Marshall Allen or Albert Ayler.  The gamut these players cover is very wide.  The styles, the tones, the construction of the music... it's all vast and amazing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited February 2021
    DC29940 said:

Someone hit up their local Target and Walmart for some of those $1 records and other deep discounts.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

I too hit the local big box stores this morning. Bagged the Lana Del Rey and the White Album ($25 and change for the pair) at Target. Then grabbed .... Justice and Metallica at Walmart.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694

I hit up three of my local neighborhood record stores today. I’m doing my part to stimulate the economy. 
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    DC29940 said:

Someone hit up their local Target and Walmart for some of those $1 records and other deep discounts.
    Hells yeah! Between the two stores I got 10 albums and spent under $40. Amazing. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20