Capitol Hill Riots

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    mickeyrat said:
    I think most people agree that police officers killed in the line of duty are heroes. 

Which begs the question why isn’t there more outrage about the GOP trying to memory hole the events of 1/6? 

Why aren’t there more cries for justice for Brian Sicknick? 

The silence around this is deafening.

Officer Sicknick will lie in state in the Capital Rotunda all next week.

The following week the Instigator-in-Chief will be tried.....

A deserved honor. 

Now about that justice part... 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited January 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I think most people agree that police officers killed in the line of duty are heroes. 

Which begs the question why isn’t there more outrage about the GOP trying to memory hole the events of 1/6? 

Why aren’t there more cries for justice for Brian Sicknick? 

The silence around this is deafening.

Officer Sicknick will lie in state in the Capital Rotunda all next week.

The following week the Instigator-in-Chief will be tried.....

It's comically appropriate that his legal team is all quitting because he is insisting that the focus of the defense strategy is election fraud.  It looks like we might have Rudy running point on defense after all!

If that’s the case, he  should be forced to testify under oath, and be subject to the same laws his lawyers were in court. Anything he claims that has been already proven false he gets indicted for perjury on the spot.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    When did cops endure hundreds of years of oppression? when have they been indiscriminately killed or abused or harassed because of their uniform by people in positions of authority?

when did black people choose to be black, like cops chose to be cops?

when has there ever been a parade attended by prominent people in government when a black person is killed?

i'd say blue lives have always mattered, and doesn't require a slogan, awareness, or acknowledgement of really any kind over an above what is already done. 
    1) Never
    2) Never .... since you added people in position of authority
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

I think it's clear that these are 2 different issues.  The lack of respect for police in some communities is extremely disturbing.  I suspect (have no data) that awful police tactics helped create that mistrust however.
    #3 don't forget MLK, Medgar Evers, etc. Point is understood but not true about any Black person. 
    I assume you're referring to #4, and yes, I should have quantified it with "regular black member of society". 
    Yes but people that become officers and perform the job with honor are certainly worthy a "parade" if killed in the line of duty.  It's an extremely tough job, extremely dangerous in many places.  
    I'm honestly on the fence about that. obviously I thank them for their service, but it's not like it's a volunteer/superhero position. they chose it. we don't have a parade for other professions that are killed in the line of their duty, and it's actually proven that there are more dangerous jobs than being a cop. 

it's not even in the top 10. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/27/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-according-to-bls-data.html

RLM (Roofers Lives Matter)
    Oh c’mon. Those other jobs are dangerous mostly because they don’t use safety devices and protocols that are well known. It’s not even the same. 

Police and firefighters are a different story.  

I agree that police and fire are of a different nature, but those other jobs are dangerous as hell no matter what safety devices and protocols are in place.  In all of them, there are things that can go wrong that are unforeseen.  It's the nature of those jobs. 
    Yup. And I think that losing your life to save or protect another’s is pretty fucking heroic. 

Absolutely.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i heard on the radio this morning that many of the people arrested in the storming of the capitol are blaming trump. they are going to use the "trump invited us to DC" defense. manbearpig even volunteered to testify against him.

let's see how it works out for them....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    edited February 2021
    From 12/21 

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    i heard on the radio this morning that many of the people arrested in the storming of the capitol are blaming trump. they are going to use the "trump invited us to DC" defense. manbearpig even volunteered to testify against him.

let's see how it works out for them....
    I can see that working for people that didn't break windows and beat police officers...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    When did cops endure hundreds of years of oppression? when have they been indiscriminately killed or abused or harassed because of their uniform by people in positions of authority?

when did black people choose to be black, like cops chose to be cops?

when has there ever been a parade attended by prominent people in government when a black person is killed?

i'd say blue lives have always mattered, and doesn't require a slogan, awareness, or acknowledgement of really any kind over an above what is already done. 
    1) Never
    2) Never .... since you added people in position of authority
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

I think it's clear that these are 2 different issues.  The lack of respect for police in some communities is extremely disturbing.  I suspect (have no data) that awful police tactics helped create that mistrust however.
    #3 don't forget MLK, Medgar Evers, etc. Point is understood but not true about any Black person. 
    I assume you're referring to #4, and yes, I should have quantified it with "regular black member of society". 
    Yes but people that become officers and perform the job with honor are certainly worthy a "parade" if killed in the line of duty.  It's an extremely tough job, extremely dangerous in many places.  
    I'm honestly on the fence about that. obviously I thank them for their service, but it's not like it's a volunteer/superhero position. they chose it. we don't have a parade for other professions that are killed in the line of their duty, and it's actually proven that there are more dangerous jobs than being a cop. 

it's not even in the top 10. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/27/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-according-to-bls-data.html

RLM (Roofers Lives Matter)
    Oh c’mon. Those other jobs are dangerous mostly because they don’t use safety devices and protocols that are well known. It’s not even the same. 

Police and firefighters are a different story.  

I agree that police and fire are of a different nature, but those other jobs are dangerous as hell no matter what safety devices and protocols are in place.  In all of them, there are things that can go wrong that are unforeseen.  It's the nature of those jobs. 
    Yup. And I think that losing your life to save or protect another’s is pretty fucking heroic. 

Absolutely.
    I'm not personally arguing that it isn't. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Question.

How many people did it look like stormed the Capital?

I am now hearing a few thousand perhaps.  

How many actually got in?  200?

Just curious if numbers were thrown around.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Question.

If that’s the case, could it be said that it was “mostly peaceful”?  /s
    PJPOWER said:
    Question.

the rally and the capital riot were two different events. 

the rally looked peaceful. the riot was not. see, they were separate events. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWER said:
    Question.

PJPOWER said:
    Question.

There were 50,000 people there or more at that rally.  Not all of them stormed the capital and not everyone got in is why I asked if there were numbers attached.

so, 3 separate events.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    Question.

I agree, two separate events.  Two different levels of extremists.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • So I found around 30-50,00 attended the rally.
    10,000 or so stormed the Capitol.
    Haven't found a solid number of how many got in so I'll stick to the initial 200 or so.
    10,000. wow. that's a pretty high percentage of the rally. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 10,000. wow. that's a pretty high percentage of the rally. 
    Article I read said it is hard to estimate how many people were there but around 10k.  Looking at the pics you can see there was a decent amount of people which is just crazy to me to look at the numbers now.
  • PJPOWER said:
    Question.

They built a gallows. 
  • PJPOWER said:
    Question.

They built a gallows. 
    They were the people that went to the Capitol.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited February 2021
    So I found around 30-50,00 attended the rally.
    10,000 or so stormed the Capitol.
    Haven't found a solid number of how many got in so I'll stick to the initial 200 or so.
    I've heard a few thousand gathered around the capitol while only a few hundred stormed inside. My guess is that reports that large are including those protesting outside with those storming the capitol. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • "Storming the Capitol" includes everyone who crossed the police lines and the fenced area. It was being readied for the inauguration and thus was "closed to the public." If you were there, on the other side of the line, you "stormed the capitol" and should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. The minimization begins. Well, it was only a hundred people arrested..............I heard it was fifty.................More like twenty five charged........................Ten went to court and had a jury trial.....................Only one was convicted..................And a misdemeanor at that. How can they call it an insurrection or attempted coup?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2021
    Why are we even still talking about this? 

I thought that we were supposed to move on from it.

This thread is Un-American.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    PJPOWER said:
    Question.

They built a gallows. 
    weird. i didn't see a gallows at the RALLY. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWER said:
    Question.

They built a gallows. 
    So, the people who marched to the capitol from the ellipse were all involved in the riot?

I've heard many argue that they were just exercising their first amendment rights, and only the people who entered the Capitol building were involved in the riot. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dankind said:

:lol:    
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    dankind said:

Joke,?
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    Question.

They built a gallows. 
    I'm not sure that it would have functioned correctly but they put up a wooden structure with a noose

edit: I see now that you were referring to the rally.  They clearly intended on putting that gallows up at the capitol rather than the rally....otherwise it would have made an appearance.  That leads to questions of planning and intent
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    PJPOWER said:
    Question.

They built a gallows. 
    So, the people who marched to the capitol from the ellipse were all involved in the riot?

I've heard many argue that they were just exercising their first amendment rights, and only the people who entered the Capitol building were involved in the riot. 
    The reality is anyone who crossed the barrier broke a law.  Whether they should all be charged is up for debate.  But if you entered or clashed with police, I think you absolutely need to be charged. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Joke,?
    Not if you're the repub leadership. McCrappy and Lindsey Flimsy Flip Flop Faloozy Full of Shit Graham just want to "move on," and not be so partisan. Let the "healing" begin.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    Question.

They built a gallows. 
    I'm not sure that it would have functioned correctly but they put up a wooden structure with a noose
    Agreed, but considering the way they stormed the building and the violence they inflicted upon the police officers, I think the crowd loses the benefit of the doubt that the gallows was merely symbolic. 

It should be assumed their intent was exactly what they declared, to "Hang Mike Pence". 
    PJPOWER said:
    Question.

They built a gallows. 
    Agreed, but considering the way they stormed the building and the violence they inflicted upon the police officers, I think the crowd loses the benefit of the doubt that the gallows was merely symbolic. 

It should be assumed their intent was exactly what they declared, to "Hang Mike Pence". 
    agreed

This discussion has been closed.