Ohana Festival Update

Comments

• How confident are people in Ohana 21 proceeding as scheduled? 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Groda03Groda03 Posts: 140
    100% confident and it will be their 1st show back!!!  Actually, who knows?  No one does.  I have tickets and an entire trip planned around Ohana so I am just trying to put some positive vibes out there.  
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    i'm close to 70% sure it happens. i also think it will be the next pj show.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 584
    I also think this could be the next PJ show. I think it’s highly unlikely the Europe tour will go ahead, but Ohana end of September - fingers crossed!
  • Living in So Cal, I would not be gambling on Ohana happening. The factors weigh heavily against it. First, the general population in California may not be vaccinated until mid to late summer now unfortunately. Second, the tickets have already been sold with no allowance for distancing, which medical experts say will absolutely still be necessary into 2022. Third, the state and local authorities are clearly going to be overly cautious. 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Living in So Cal, I would not be gambling on Ohana happening. The factors weigh heavily against it. First, the general population in California may not be vaccinated until mid to late summer now unfortunately. Second, the tickets have already been sold with no allowance for distancing, which medical experts say will absolutely still be necessary into 2022. Third, the state and local authorities are clearly going to be overly cautious. 
    I agree with you....if someone is going to make travel plans, it may be best to make refundable plans.

The venue is on state property, so they will be extra cautious in deciding whether or not to allow the event.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    Is Sea.Hear.Now still scheduled for the week before Ohana? 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    on2legs said:
    Yes. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out if they can have a tour in the fall. I would imagine the East Coast leg would be centered around SHN and the West Coast would be around Ohana but if they can not do a EC tour before mid September then that would not work out at all with only 1 week between festivals. Easy decision would be then to do both festivals if able to and then the tours after I guess. Hopefully we here some news in the coming months from government and health officials on the path forward. 
  • on2legs said:
    Yes, and the same factors apply to SHN as the ones I mentioned for Ohana. Hard to see how those shows are played.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    PJNB said:
    on2legs said:
    Yes. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out if they can have a tour in the fall. I would imagine the East Coast leg would be centered around SHN and the West Coast would be around Ohana but if they can not do a EC tour before mid September then that would not work out at all with only 1 week between festivals. Easy decision would be then to do both festivals if able to and then the tours after I guess. Hopefully we here some news in the coming months from government and health officials on the path forward. 
    Makes sense =)  Fingers crossed!

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Someone who is usually in the know posted on another thread that the postponed 2020 NA spring shows were being moved to 2022.  That is disheartening if true, but given that indoor environments with singing, alcohol and crowds are the least safe of all things, it seems believable that it won’t happen in 21.  I hold out a little more hope for these outdoor shows in late 2021, as that at least removes the extra risk factor of being indoors.  Of course it will still need vaccines to have progressed at a much better rate than they have started, and the great unknown is at what point will the cases and hospitalizations come down to a level where the risk is low enough.  Maybe something like vaccine passport and/or negative test required for admission.  Who knows.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    Someone who is usually in the know posted on another thread that the postponed 2020 NA spring shows were being moved to 2022.  That is disheartening if true, but given that indoor environments with singing, alcohol and crowds are the least safe of all things, it seems believable that it won’t happen in 21.  I hold out a little more hope for these outdoor shows in late 2021, as that at least removes the extra risk factor of being indoors.  Of course it will still need vaccines to have progressed at a much better rate than they have started, and the great unknown is at what point will the cases and hospitalizations come down to a level where the risk is low enough.  Maybe something like vaccine passport and/or negative test required for admission.  Who knows.  
    I work in the entertainment industry and have had conversations with people who work in music. Some people think the best case scenario is that it it may be possible to do distanced shows as 2021 continues. In fact, Jason Isbell already did a handful of outdoor distanced shows with very strict rules in October. Of course, a big part of the issue for Pearl Jam is that they’ve already sold the tickets for full venues including GA. So for those arena shows and festivals, there’s really no option. Those shows will only be able to happen when venues are cleared for things to be fully back to normal. That may be a while. And it’s even going to get more complicated than that because what will they do if California, NY, and NJ for example don’t allow things to get back to full normalcy until after Texas? And how far in advance will we know when full venues will be allowed?  It’s a logistical nightmare. 

• Luckytwn1 said:
    Someone who is usually in the know posted on another thread that the postponed 2020 NA spring shows were being moved to 2022.  That is disheartening if true, but given that indoor environments with singing, alcohol and crowds are the least safe of all things, it seems believable that it won’t happen in 21.  I hold out a little more hope for these outdoor shows in late 2021, as that at least removes the extra risk factor of being indoors.  Of course it will still need vaccines to have progressed at a much better rate than they have started, and the great unknown is at what point will the cases and hospitalizations come down to a level where the risk is low enough.  Maybe something like vaccine passport and/or negative test required for admission.  Who knows.  
    I work in the entertainment industry and have had conversations with people who work in music. Some people think the best case scenario is that it it may be possible to do distanced shows as 2021 continues. In fact, Jason Isbell already did a handful of outdoor distanced shows with very strict rules in October. Of course, a big part of the issue for Pearl Jam is that they’ve already sold the tickets for full venues including GA. So for those arena shows and festivals, there’s really no option. Those shows will only be able to happen when venues are cleared for things to be fully back to normal. That may be a while. And it’s even going to get more complicated than that because what will they do if California, NY, and NJ for example don’t allow things to get back to full normalcy until after Texas? And how far in advance will we know when full venues will be allowed?  It’s a logistical nightmare. 

All we can do is expect the worst and hope for the best.  Ohana is almost as far into the future as that horrible day last March is in the past.  Things can maybe turn around by then.  Hey, it’s a new year.  New hope.  

Springsteen was just on E Street Radio to celebrate the New Year and he said based on what he’s been told, he does not believe shows will be possible in 2021 and he is gearing up for 2022 but even that can’t be considered certain. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Springsteen was just on E Street Radio to celebrate the New Year and he said based on what he’s been told, he does not believe shows will be possible in 2021 and he is gearing up for 2022 but even that can’t be considered certain. 
    He has been saying that for himself and his band since September about not touring until 2022. This is not news from him. 
    PJNB said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    He has been saying that for himself and his band since September about not touring until 2022. This is not news from him. 
    If you heard what he said, it was in the context of when shows would resume within the industry. Not just for his band. 
  • Ohana just took an instalment payment.  That means the show is on for sure, right? (LOL)

• I'm thinking Ohana is good to go as it's the last week of September. It's outside, at the beach. They may even require people to show digital proof of vaccination before entry, or a refund if you can't provide that. But by late July, I really think most people who plan to attend Ohana will be vaccinated.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • I'm thinking Ohana is good to go as it's the last week of September. It's outside, at the beach. They may even require people to show digital proof of vaccination before entry, or a refund if you can't provide that. But by late July, I really think most people who plan to attend Ohana will be vaccinated.
    I certainly hope it can go ahead.  It seems these new variants could be a problem.  

• UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 187
    Anyone know if Ohana '21 gets cancelled, do we need to have purchased the SecureTicket insurance option for a full refund?  I assume every purchased ticket gets a full refund and that the ST option is there just in case there is a personal reason you cant make it? 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    We did the installment plan and I emailed them asking the same question. There are $65 in non refundable fees if we cancel and they said you can cancel and receive a full refund of what you’ve paid (minus those fees) before the final payment installment date of 6/1/21. Hope this helps!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 187
    ^^^ Thanks mfc2006!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    UtahBolt said:
    ^^^ Thanks mfc2006!
    You bet!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Luckytwn1 said:

Always good to hear from people actually in the industry.

This wouldn't work for the indoor arena shows, but for festivals I wonder if any of the festivals are considering whether a Coachella-type approach would work, with having the exact same lineup for 2 weekends?  Guessing that paying acts for 2 weekends wouldn't usually be feasible for smaller festivals, but since bands are dying to play, fans are dying to go (not literally dying hopefully - whew, gotta watch how one says that in Covid times), and since fests of course want to proceed, I wonder if giving incentives for current ticketholders to go a 2nd weekend instead so the crowd is in half would help, plus it's outdoors which is far far better than indoors?

Anyone who knows folks in the industry, is this a conversation anyone is having?  I'm sure it would be a logistical nightmare but maybe someone is figuring it out...
    Obviously with Ohana there’s still a lot of tickets left to sell. I wonder if the organisers are now going to put a limit on how many the venue can hold. That way if the festival is allowed to go ahead, it’s not going to have the capacity it’s had in previous years. I’m sure all this kind of stuff is being discussed.
  • matt84 said:
    Obviously with Ohana there’s still a lot of a tickets left to sell. I wonder if the organisers are now going to put a limit on how many the venue can hold. That way if the festival is allowed to go ahead, it’s not going to have the capacity it’s had in previous years. I’m sure all this kind of stuff is being discussed.
    I agree this would make sense, not to mention make for a more civilized experience, but I fully expect someone to jump in and say this will never happen because the economics only work with a full house.  We also don’t know if they’ve already sold more than whatever a reduced maximum might be.  

edited February 2021
    matt84 said:
    Obviously with Ohana there’s still a lot of a tickets left to sell. I wonder if the organisers are now going to put a limit on how many the venue can hold. That way if the festival is allowed to go ahead, it’s not going to have the capacity it’s had in previous years. I’m sure all this kind of stuff is being discussed.
    I agree this would make sense, not to mention make for a more civilized experience, but I fully expect someone to jump in and say this will never happen because the economics only work with a full house.  We also don’t know if they’ve already sold more than whatever a reduced maximum might be.  
    This, of course, is correct. A festival that has already signed contracts with acts can’t just reduce their pay without renegotiation and obviously the festival would get wiped out economically if they pay the full deals with a greatly reduced capacity. Now whether Ohana has room to maneuver since Ed and PJ are the headliners, hard to say without knowing specifics of the other contracts. 

As  previously stated, an equally big issue here is the fact that all of these things need to be cleared months in advance. So conditions could be much better in September but you would have to know well before to have the show. Especially here in CA, there’s clearly going to be a presumption against having large numbers of people in one place. There has still not been a single person to attend a sporting event in California since the pandemic started, even though other states have been allowing fans in for months. Hopefully Newsom is going to allow at least a very limited number of fans into baseball stadiums come April but there’s been no word on that yet. 

Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • California needs Disney and universal but mainly Disney to open before they can get some kind of measuring stick. 
    What’s it like in California at the moment?
  • matt84 said:
    What’s it like in California at the moment?
    The stay at home order just got lifted. Like most places, they are under a colour coded restriction opening