Options

Ohana Festival Update

Comments

• Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,208
    RiotAct10 said:
    RiotAct10 said:
    How are people handing flights so far? I have not booked mine yet, because I don't want to if the show will be cancelled obviously, but I am also worried with the price of fuel going up, that the price of flights will go up. In addition, if things do get better, and more people start flying, that will also cause a possible increase in flight rates. Just wondered how people have handled this far or what they are thinking?
    I wouldn’t book anything until 4-5 weeks out at the earliest

The prices haven’t been going up much at all closer to the day of flight.  Also, the airlines continue to cut and consolidate routes, so If you book a 5 PM Friday flight right now for September, there’s a 98% chance that flight is actually leaving at 11 am come September.  I’ve noticed that 4 weeks out is usually the latest they will change the routes or consolidate.  
    That is a fair point, however I will say, if they change the flight, its easier to get a full refund no questions asked. So it actually benefited me for the flights I bought last year because they weren't going to refund it, but then when they made a change I got the refund.
    For Ohana 2019 I had bought my flight 3 months or so in advance.  The night before the flight the airline cancelled it (for no reason other than they didn’t sell enough seats) and I had to scramble to find a suitable replacement.  So while I agree schedule changes are more likely to occur the further out you buy, I don’t think there’s any magic to the 4 week mark.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I have no problem booking a flight early through Southwest. If we have to cancel, they’ll give a credit that we can use down the road.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    RiotAct10 said:
    How are people handing flights so far? I have not booked mine yet, because I don't want to if the show will be cancelled obviously, but I am also worried with the price of fuel going up, that the price of flights will go up. In addition, if things do get better, and more people start flying, that will also cause a possible increase in flight rates. Just wondered how people have handled this far or what they are thinking?

The prices haven’t been going up much at all closer to the day of flight.  Also, the airlines continue to cut and consolidate routes, so If you book a 5 PM Friday flight right now for September, there’s a 98% chance that flight is actually leaving at 11 am come September.  I’ve noticed that 4 weeks out is usually the latest they will change the routes or consolidate.  
    Doesn't this depend on which airline? I have flown Southwest for ages and have actually NEVER had them change the departure day or time, other than because of weather or equipment problems. On the other hand, I don't fly American very often but of the last 6 times I flew them before Covid, they changed 3 of my departure times, twice in ways that really messed my schedule up.

And Alaska and JetBlue don't change dates/times from my experience either unless weather/equipment.

So how much does which airline it is affect that?  Which in turn affects customer satisfaction/dissatisfaction for sure, because I avoid United & American at all costs where I can.
  • Options
    RiotAct10 said:
    RiotAct10 said:

That is a fair point, however I will say, if they change the flight, its easier to get a full refund no questions asked. So it actually benefited me for the flights I bought last year because they weren't going to refund it, but then when they made a change I got the refund.
    For Ohana 2019 I had bought my flight 3 months or so in advance.  The night before the flight the airline cancelled it (for no reason other than they didn’t sell enough seats) and I had to scramble to find a suitable replacement.  So while I agree schedule changes are more likely to occur the further out you buy, I don’t think there’s any magic to the 4 week mark.
    Yikes, what airline was that?
  • Options
    Rumor has it, state of Maryland just announced sports events at 50% capacity.

From another band's fan website:
    "Maryland just announced outdoor venues at 50% capacity, this includes Camden Yards and M&T Stadium

Camden Yards holds 23k at 50%
    Ravens stadium holds 18k at 50%"

Verrrrry interesting... I have no idea when this is effective, like if they'll start having events next week or if there is a date off in the future for it.
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 492
    edited March 2021
    Maryland has no bearing on California. Governor Newsom officially laid out the steps for reopening venues and crowd sizes.  Los Angeles is currently at zero capacity. Within a few days, LA will hopefully enter the red tier and that will mean we will be at 20 percent in time for baseball season. Both Los Angeles and OC haven’t even entered the red tier yet, which is why we are still at zero capacity and movie theaters remain closed.  Counties in California will then move to 33 percent capacity in the orange tier so it be a while before Southern California is at 50 percent capacity in venues. 
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Maryland has no bearing on California. Governor Newsom officially laid out the steps for reopening venues and crowd sizes.  Los Angeles is currently at zero capacity. Within a few days, LA will hopefully enter the red tier and that will mean we will be at 20 percent in time for baseball season. Both Los Angeles and OC haven’t even entered the red tier yet, which is why we are still at zero capacity and movie theaters remain closed.  Counties in California will then move to 33 percent capacity in the orange tier so it be a while before Southern California is at 50 percent capacity in venues. 
    Totally understood about California & Maryland being entirely different states, different leadership, different mandates.  However... to me ALL news of reopening venues, holding what would usually be crowded events, and what different approaches different states are taking is interesting with regard to having a pulse on what is happening nationwide.

Always different factors affect what is planned, and then what happens (cuz more often than not they're not the same :) ).  Just sharing this news because it's the first I've heard of a state opening for large events, (I mean the 1st state that isn't crazy, like TX & FL are reopening recklessly).

This festival conversation even about Ohana is a whole different conversation when we go from "NO ONE is holding events in venues" to whole states saying they're getting back online with events, and how they're doing it.  Just sharing info to add some perspective.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    JH6056 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Totally understood about California & Maryland being entirely different states, different leadership, different mandates.  However... to me ALL news of reopening venues, holding what would usually be crowded events, and what different approaches different states are taking is interesting with regard to having a pulse on what is happening nationwide.

Always different factors affect what is planned, and then what happens (cuz more often than not they're not the same :) ).  Just sharing this news because it's the first I've heard of a state opening for large events, (I mean the 1st state that isn't crazy, like TX & FL are reopening recklessly).

This festival conversation even about Ohana is a whole different conversation when we go from "NO ONE is holding events in venues" to whole states saying they're getting back online with events, and how they're doing it.  Just sharing info to add some perspective.
    I appreciate all of the news coming out with regards to the different states and how they are approaching re-opening. I do not want any setbacks but I feel like we need things like this to tell us what can and cant be do safely in the middle of this vaccine rollout. Going to be a lot of eyes on this as well as the other States that are lifting most restrictions. Whether they like it or not they are the test bunnies right now and a lot of the world is watching. 
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:

Again, drawing conclusions on other states is not really worthwhile as it pertains to California. Events with fans have been going on in this country since at least September when the NFL season started. I attended the World Series in Dallas completely safely. In fact, I don't believe there are any reports of spread at any sporting event.  Even with all that, six months later, still not a single person has attended a sporting event in California since the start of the pandemic. The one thing we know for sure is Newsom does not care what other states are doing. But the great news is that he has laid out exactly what will trigger venue reopenings and at what level of capacity will be allowed.
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    JH6056 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:

Again, drawing conclusions on other states is not really worthwhile as it pertains to California. Events with fans have been going on in this country since at least September when the NFL season started. I attended the World Series in Dallas completely safely. In fact, I don't believe there are any reports of spread at any sporting event.  Even with all that, six months later, still not a single person has attended a sporting event in California since the start of the pandemic. The one thing we know for sure is Newsom does not care what other states are doing. But the great news is that he has laid out exactly what will trigger venue reopenings and at what level of capacity will be allowed.
    No one is drawing conclusions - pretty much said clearly in the post you just responded to that we are all clear that what happens elsewhere does not mean we know what will happen in California or anywhere else. And the California-specific info and context you post is indeed most useful to this specific conversation.

So to keep it simple, we can just agree to disagree on the "contextual usefulness" or "interesting nature" of what other states are doing.  I'll continue to post what other states/countries are doing because I'd be interested in that info if someone else had it, and yes, specifically as I ponder what happens with Ohana.  But I get quite clearly that no conclusions can or should be drawn. And I continue to appreciate the California specifics you and others share.
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 719
    Movie theaters may open up at 25% capacity starting this weekend here in Los Angeles. This is an excellent move that will hopefully expand more through spring and summer, and allow an outdoor event like Ohana to confidently happen in late September.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    Movie theaters may open up at 25% capacity starting this weekend here in Los Angeles. This is an excellent move that will hopefully expand more through spring and summer, and allow an outdoor event like Ohana to confidently happen in late September.
    That’s because LA has now entered the red tier, which was described above. Orange tier is 33% for live venues. 
  • Options
    RiotAct10 said:
    Just booked flight home from Ohana for points that are refundable with no fee if I cancel for any reason.  That’s the best of both worlds.  Thanks for planting the seed...
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,074
    Do the tickets for the festival tend to sell out a long time in advance? I’m considering a trip from England but I’m a bit nervous to buy until there is a bit more certainty on international travel and whether or not it’s likely to go ahead.
  • Options
    drfox said:
    Do the tickets for the festival tend to sell out a long time in advance? I’m considering a trip from England but I’m a bit nervous to buy until there is a bit more certainty on international travel and whether or not it’s likely to go ahead.
    In 2019 the Sunday night (Red Hot Chili Peppers) sold out well in advance.  I’m not sure if the Saturday (EV solo) sold out but if it did it would have been closer to the time.  

• Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 719
    I just received notice that my layaway payment plan for Ohana just processed the second payment today. Per the receipt, I put a down payment of $170 in Feb 2020, no more payments for the remainder of the year. Today, the second payment hit on March 15th, with the next two on the 15th of each month. Ohana is happening people!!!
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    I just received notice that my layaway payment plan for Ohana just processed the second payment today. Per the receipt, I put a down payment of $170 in Feb 2020, no more payments for the remainder of the year. Today, the second payment hit on March 15th, with the next two on the 15th of each month. Ohana is happening people!!!
    Same.  Seems possible. It felt like the Sept shows always had a chance.  Here is to hoping.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 917
    took money from me too. I see it happening! Even if it is less people, we are already in!!
  • Options
    I’m in as well.  I wouldn’t read too much into the fact that they took payments though.  It just means it hasn’t been called off so they are operating business as usual.  It doesn’t mean it won’t subsequently be called off, not that I want it to be.  

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Doesn’t mean anything of the sort. All shows are still selling tickets for their currently scheduled dates, including Ohana. That has been the case throughout the pandemic. Thus, the payment plans are being charged. Dates are then being moved as needed. The question is whether Ohana will need to be moved (again). That has not been answered yet, we’re almost certainly not even close to an answer. 
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Doesn’t mean anything of the sort. All shows are still selling tickets for their currently scheduled dates, including Ohana. That has been the case throughout the pandemic. Thus, the payment plans are being charged. Dates are then being moved as needed. The question is whether Ohana will need to be moved (again). That has not been answered yet, we’re almost certainly not even close to an answer. 
    You could have just ditto’d what I said :)

• Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    nothing is ever certain, but pretty odd that they shut down the installments when the show was postponed last year but have them all scheduled out now.   May be a glitch in their system, but likely is at minimum a sign that they think there is a good shot.   All news lately has been pointing to a much better direction.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    PB11041 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    nothing is ever certain, but pretty odd that they shut down the installments when the show was postponed last year but have them all scheduled out now.   May be a glitch in their system, but likely is at minimum a sign that they think there is a good shot.   All news lately has been pointing to a much better direction.
    Well, yes it means as of now the festival is still scheduled. To stop payments, they would have to cancel or at least postpone again. That is obviously premature so they wouldn’t do that at this point. But you also can’t use it to prove that the festival will happen. Especially since this is an event taking place in CA, as noted before, I would not expect them to make the decision until they absolutely have to. Thus, they had to charge the payment plans as scheduled. 
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Well, yes it means as of now the festival is still scheduled. To stop payments, they would have to cancel or at least postpone again. That is obviously premature so they wouldn’t do that at this point. But you also can’t use it to prove that the festival will happen. Especially since this is an event taking place in CA, as noted before, I would not expect them to make the decision until they absolutely have to. Thus, they had to charge the payment plans as scheduled. 
    The payment plans did not have to be turned on.

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Completely incorrect. We were notified the new payment dates last fall, again because they are continuing to sell tickets for 2021. The payment plan dates are consistent with what they would have been for this year without a pandemic. Ticket sales are proceeding for all events as they normally would and they are proceeding as if the show will go on. That is what all tours are doing, right up until they are not. 
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Completely incorrect. We were notified the new payment dates last fall, again because they are continuing to sell tickets for 2021. The payment plan dates are consistent with what they would have been for this year without a pandemic. Ticket sales are proceeding for all events as they normally would and they are proceeding as if the show will go on. That is what all tours are doing, right up until they are not. 
    The annoucnement was on June 22nd.  They didn't have to turn it on.  They went ahead with the plan because it is looking more likely.  Ticket sales proceeding for unsold tickets does not dictate they had to turn on the balance due payments.  Also that is not what all tours are doing.  Some are, some are not.  Some offered refurnds, some flat out cancelled.  Some tours allowed fans to keep tickets for dates that are yet even known.  

They did not have to keep the schedule as reconfigured, it was a choice to move forward, which is a risk, because if they postpone again they will need to open another round of refunds which can be costly.   The ticket managment company are taking a calculated risk that things will move forward.

• Options
    I agree with Luckytwn, but so badly want to agree with PB11041.

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    The annoucnement was on June 22nd.  They didn't have to turn it on.  They went ahead with the plan because it is looking more likely.  Ticket sales proceeding for unsold tickets does not dictate they had to turn on the balance due payments.  Also that is not what all tours are doing.  Some are, some are not.  Some offered refurnds, some flat out cancelled.  Some tours allowed fans to keep tickets for dates that are yet even known.  

They did not have to keep the schedule as reconfigured, it was a choice to move forward, which is a risk, because if they postpone again they will need to open another round of refunds which can be costly.   The ticket managment company are taking a calculated risk that things will move forward.
    You’re mixing up all sorts of things. Tours offered refunds for cancelled or postponed dates, of course they did. Ohana 2020, there were potential refunds. But for what you’re talking about, the payment plan is part of the sales for Ohana 2021. They are continuing sales as all currently scheduled dates on all tours are doing and having people pay for those tickets. They will sell tickets up to the second they need to potentially move the date again as has been industry standard throughout the pandemic. 
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 382
    I’ll throw my two cents/experience in here. I’ve had my Airbnb booked since September 2020 but only purchased tickets on Saturday 3/13/21.  It charged in full, as you’d expect for any ticket purchase. So I don’t think it indicates anything one way or another except that the festival is on unless it isn’t. And it hasn’t been cancelled yet so if you purchase tickets it’s gonna charge you. Doesn’t mean the fest is a lock. If you want to read into things the social media posts promoting the new Kings of Leon album when it dropped feel more indicative of a festival that wants to sell tickets than one just waiting around to be cancelled but nobody knows. That’s just the truth. All news is good and I am hopeful but we’ll have to continue waiting to find out.