Stock market

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited February 2021
    This whole stock market think is really sad to me.  I'm not complaining, mind you.  I'm very good at maintaining a budget, loose enough with my money to have some fun, frugal enough and have a wife who dabbles in investing such that we live surprisingly well for two people who have a less than average income.  But what bugs me is that a) most people are more like me rather than my wife (who, if it mattered more to her and if she had a husband who was good at earning a lot of money could make us rich, rich, rich), and those people find the stock market and investing both confusing as hell and mind numbing in it's abstract details and b) are just trying to get by and don't have the time or resources to play these games.  So the more fortunate/ left-brained/ finance and detail oriented among us prosper and the rest are just struggling and desperate and maybe even jumping off bridges.  This is especially true for creative people- musicians and artists and writers- who find all this fixation with wealth and finance to be soul killing.  What a fucking weird world this is.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    brianlux said:
    This whole stock market think is really sad to me.  I'm not complaining, mind you.  I'm very good at maintaining a budget, loose enough with my money to have some fun, frugal enough and have a wife who dabbles in investing such that we live surprisingly well for two people who have a less than average income.  But what bugs me is that a) most people are more like me rather than my wife (who, if it mattered more to her and if she had a husband who was good at earning a lot of money could make us rich, rich, rich), and those people find the stock market and investing both confusing as hell and mind numbing in it's abstract details and b) are just trying to get by and don't have the time or resources to play these games.  So the more fortunate/ left-brained/ finance and detail oriented among us prosper and the rest are just struggling and desperate and maybe even jumping off bridges.  This is especially true for creative people- musicians and artists and writers- who find all this fixation with wealth and finance to be soul killing.  What a fucking weird world this is.
    I feel the stock market is actually pretty straight forward when it comes to investing. If you invest in blue chip stocks, mutual funds, index funds, you will definitely make money over time. The difficult and confusing part comes when you try to play the market. Shorting, day trading, options, puts etc.. high risk, high reward. I studied and practiced through paper trading  for almost a year before I traded. I’ve taken all my gains and become mostly a dividend/ passive income trader. But I still jump into the madness sometimes when I see a good short squeeze like GME. There’s a ton of great videos explaining the basics of the market. Just stay away from the “buy this stock now!” Or “the next Amazon!” Type videos.  
  • I bought 100 shares of AMC.  Let's see what happens.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i haven't seen the news since friday. is the stonks thing still going? feels like  month ago, but it was only last week.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    I bought 100 shares of AMC.  Let's see what happens.
    hopefully it works out and in a week you are not using the "not stonks"meme.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Good luck.  GME is in the shitter.  People are exiting.  This has been institutional from the start, manipulation all the way.  I think when the data is analyzed, you'll see it was the big dogs driving the short squeeze.  And all of this political yelling will fade away.....................
  • I bought 100 shares of AMC.  Let's see what happens.
    mrussel1 said:
    Good luck.  GME is in the shitter.  People are exiting.  This has been institutional from the start, manipulation all the way.  I think when the data is analyzed, you'll see it was the big dogs driving the short squeeze.  And all of this political yelling will fade away.....................
    There are a ton of the "little people" going to be buying this when it goes down as low as $6 a share.  The plan is to buy as much as you can and hold.

I'm out a grand if it doesn't work.  If the people do what they did on Gamestop then I'll be singing a different tune, lol.
    mrussel1 said:
    There are a ton of the "little people" going to be buying this when it goes down as low as $6 a share.  The plan is to buy as much as you can and hold.

I'm out a grand if it doesn't work.  If the people do what they did on Gamestop then I'll be singing a different tune, lol.
    Certainly the financial risk is low if it's a grand.  But I still don't understand what the future is for GME.  They could have bought up a game streaming service (ala Steam) a few years ago, but Amazon pulled the trigger, not them.  Instead they bought cell phone stores (WTF?) and then started jettisoning them within a few years.  It's just a poorly managed company with no obvious future if it's all brick and mortar.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Certainly the financial risk is low if it's a grand.  But I still don't understand what the future is for GME.  They could have bought up a game streaming service (ala Steam) a few years ago, but Amazon pulled the trigger, not them.  Instead they bought cell phone stores (WTF?) and then started jettisoning them within a few years.  It's just a poorly managed company with no obvious future if it's all brick and mortar.  
    I'm totally in it for the short run.  ZERO long term investment here.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I was replying to your statement The plan is to buy as much as you can and hold.

I don't get that at all. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I was replying to your statement The plan is to buy as much as you can and hold.

I don't get that at all. 
    Yes, my bad.  Hold now and wait for the price to shoot up then sell forcing the shorts to have to buy at a higher price.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't get that at all. 
    Yes, my bad.  Hold now and wait for the price to shoot up then sell forcing the shorts to have to buy at a higher price.
    You don't think the shorts have exited by now?  I just assumed they have taken their loss.  GME is down 50% today, AMC is down 40%, JPM is up 5%.  All is right in the world.
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't get that at all. 
    You don't think the shorts have exited by now?  I just assumed they have taken their loss.  GME is down 50% today, AMC is down 40%, JPM is up 5%.  All is right in the world.
    Well lets see if the little fellas do what they say.  Buying should be huge right now so hopefully, lol.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    So AMC is still the heaviest shorted stock.  By doing that and holding and buying calls, makes the stock go up.

Up to $44.  I sell at $100.
    Up to $63.

Nobody is messing around w stocks out there?
    @gimmesometruth27 going well
    Up to $63.

Not those...  I don't mess around with stocks.  I buy into long term fundamentals, not day trading.  
    Up to $63.

My portfolio is purely income driven. My day trading days are behind me. The only stocks I own that don’t pay dividends are Amazon and Tesla. 6 percent div Minimum. 
    Up to $63.

I’d lock in half that profit man. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    Up to $63.

Should be another 3 days of rally then a dip then another surge.

I am up 500% and plan on doing something with it.  The shorts keep doubling down and everyone keeps holding so it's driving the price up.  The reddit crew actually wants to see it hit 1000 a share, lol.  Wouldn't that be something!?!  I don't see that happening but I can see it hit $100 by Friday.
    nicknyr15 said:
    Up to $63.

I am up 500% and plan on doing something with it.  The shorts keep doubling down and everyone keeps holding so it's driving the price up.  The reddit crew actually wants to see it hit 1000 a share, lol.  Wouldn't that be something!?!  I don't see that happening but I can see it hit $100 by Friday.
    Well maybe not, lol.
    nicknyr15 said:
    Up to $63.

Well maybe not, lol.
    Nothings ever certain but when I was day trading I always would lock in half the profit. Sell another 25% if it dipped 5-10% then the final 25% if it dipped again. But who knows. It could go to $500 right after you sell lol. That’s trading. 
    I'm holding still.  There are a lot of people holding and it just won't budge like GME.

It's coming back up again.

Man I need to learn how to do options.
    Sold my shares at 55.50.

Made a nice profit.  It is still going up now too, lol.  

I'm happy.  May look into options on it now.
    Sold my shares at 55.50.

Made a nice profit.  It is still going up now too, lol.  

I'm happy.  May look into options on it now.
    Profit is profit. It’s impossible to catch the top. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    A little off topic but have any of you invested in municipal bonds?  I have a little money in a savings account.  I'm just holding it there and don't want to leave it there because the interest rate is something like 0.000000000000001%.  I'm not savvy enough about the stock market to go that route and heard somewhere that municipal bonds to OK are are relatively safe.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited June 2021
    brianlux said:
    A little off topic but have any of you invested in municipal bonds?  I have a little money in a savings account.  I'm just holding it there and don't want to leave it there because the interest rate is something like 0.000000000000001%.  I'm not savvy enough about the stock market to go that route and heard somewhere that municipal bonds to OK are are relatively safe.
    I recently moved some money from a savings account into muni/state bonds. Interest payout is around 3% annually. Not much, but better what a saving account is getting. Muni bonds are fairly liquid so the funds can be accessed quickly in case of an emergency.

As for markets, there some ETF index funds that are solid as well. SPY, IUSG, DIA, and QQQ are a few that have done well over the years. Setting up a Fidelity account is pretty easy, and easy to use as well if your looking to just buy shares and let them ride.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
    brianlux said:
    I recently moved some money from a savings account into muni/state bonds. Interest payout is around 3% annually. Not much, but better what a saving account is getting. Muni bonds are fairly liquid so the funds can be accessed quickly in case of an emergency.

As for markets, there some ETF index funds that are solid as well. SPY, IUSG, DIA, and QQQ are a few that have done well over the years. Setting up a Fidelity account is pretty easy, and easy to use as well if your looking to just buy shares and let them ride.
    Yes, I agree.  EFT index funds are great and relatively safe particularly if focused on one like SPY which is on the banking industry (very stable). 
    Can anyone explain the increase still in the DOW?  

With covid looming again and supply chains still catching up I am a little confused.  I follow Caterpillar as a barometer and it's been on a decline the last month and that usually tells a story unless they can't make sales because of supply issues?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    Can anyone explain the increase still in the DOW?  

With covid looming again and supply chains still catching up I am a little confused.  I follow Caterpillar as a barometer and it's been on a decline the last month and that usually tells a story unless they can't make sales because of supply issues?

parts for all kinds of vehicles are scarce.

my guess is many fleet vehicle orders (in our cases KW and International) were scrapped last year. So if those parts didnt get used there wasnt a need to produce more.

My assigned truck is down 3 weeks now, waiting on a left steer spindle, which would allow the steering kingpin to be replaced at the same time. It would then get aligned properly. Tie rod replaced last year. was burning through steer tires every two months cuz the left tow was in 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches. 400 each became yrailer tires in 2 months.... 6 or 8 times!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14